OT: Ottawa Fury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I was shocked when I heard the final score; I had been following the game on Twitter and was assuming a loss and turned my attention back to hockey. They showed me, I guess. Anyway good for the Fury turning a long road trip into a good bunch of points.

littleD

Sources have told SI.com that the NASL’s Ottawa Fury will depart for the United Soccer League and that the Tampa Bay Rowdies likely will follow. With the Fort Lauderdale Strikers and Rayo OKC in financial distress—Raleigh, North Carolina’s WRAL reported Wednesday morning that Strikers’ ownership has ceased funding the club—and Minnesota United leaving for MLS, the six-year-old NASL faces a period of unprecedented adversity.

There have been no claims, accusations or indications that the USL is pursuing or poaching NASL clubs, but the third-tier circuit obviously is aware that its growth and relative stability could be attractive to NASL teams anxious about the future. The USL's “third division†designation doesn’t seem to be a hindrance at the moment. Rather, it would be a safe place to land. Ottawa eventually may target a proposed Canadian league, but it prefers USL for the time being.

One source told SI.com that as of last week, at least four NASL clubs (including Ottawa) had yet to post their bond to ensure participation next season.

NASL faces major shakeup, potential demise, amid impending exits, financial distress

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I think a move to the Usl would be good for Ottawa lesser travel costs aside the rivals with Toronto and Montreal we could see huge crowds for those games.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
From what I'm hearing, USL is a much better run club. Jakubec referred to the NASL as a sinking ship and could face the possibility of having an 8 team league next year with the shakeup.. yikes.

Also heard that US soccer is looking at granting USL division 2 status for the non-feeder teams. This could work out well long-term for Fury FC.

I was staggered at the spread of attendance figures in the USL. The top team in pulls an average of 17,000 a game whereas over 10 teams pull less than 2,000.

I need to read up on this league...

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I could see the Nasl being a 6 team league next year.

SF
Miami
Carolina
New York
Edmonton
Jacksonville

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Shock

Dalglish says he has 21 players available for saturdays game, so some are going to have to sit in the stands and watch. Is'nt that what most of them have been doing all season.:laugh:

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
looking at the USL attendance....geez, Montreal's feeder team averages 381 a game lol, with a low of 78 one game. I know TSN1200 keeps touting Cinci's 17000 game average, but only 4 of the 29 teams average over 5,000 a game, 10 teams average under 1,500 (in the radio clip AJ makes reference to the low attendance of Fort Lauderdale (1,436). The average attendance in the NASL is higher by just over 1,000 a game (4800 vs 3600).

I just point this out because they are making it sound like the NASL is a sinking ship due to the potential folding of a few clubs. It very well could be, but USL has had 10 clubs fold since 2011 (vs 3 in the NASL, plus 2 teams promoted to MLS)

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
looking at the USL attendance....geez, Montreal's feeder team averages 381 a game lol, with a low of 78 one game. I know TSN1200 keeps touting Cinci's 17000 game average, but only 4 of the 29 teams average over 5,000 a game, 10 teams average under 1,500 (in the radio clip AJ makes reference to the low attendance of Fort Lauderdale (1,436). The average attendance in the NASL is higher by just over 1,000 a game (4800 vs 3600).

I just point this out because they are making it sound like the NASL is a sinking ship due to the potential folding of a few clubs. It very well could be, but USL has had 10 clubs fold since 2011 (vs 3 in the NASL, plus 2 teams promoted to MLS)

The difference is the Usl has had not trouble getting new teams why the Nasl league has.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Also to remember is that most of the teams in the USL are reserve teams of MLS teams, so the team will always be changing as playes are called up or released and new players coming in, there would be no loyalty to the team.
Interesting to note 3 of the top 4 in attendances are Independant franchises.
If the Fury was an independant franchise would they draw bigger crowds than if they were a reserve team of say the Montreal impact?

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
The difference is the Usl has had not trouble getting new teams why the Nasl league has.

true, but to play devil's advocate, new franchises have to pay $$ to the league to join, so its not necessarily a sign that the league is stable if they are expanding quickly, especially if 10 teams bomb in less than 6 years.
I guess I am just apprehensive regardless, but we have to just management to make the right call. tier 2 or 3 soccer in NA is not Double A or Triple A baseball, right? we're not getting the Derek Jeter's or Dustin Pedroia's on the rise...we're lucky if we get a famous player on the slide (NY Cosmos Raul) or the one international match with a big club (Glasgow's 2nd best team ;o).

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
true, but to play devil's advocate, new franchises have to pay $$ to the league to join, so its not necessarily a sign that the league is stable if they are expanding quickly, especially if 10 teams bomb in less than 6 years.
I guess I am just apprehensive regardless, but we have to just management to make the right call. tier 2 or 3 soccer in NA is not Double A or Triple A baseball, right? we're not getting the Derek Jeter's or Dustin Pedroia's on the rise...we're lucky if we get a famous player on the slide (NY Cosmos Raul) or the one international match with a big club (Glasgow's 2nd best team ;o).

Sure but at the same time the Nasl was projected to have 18-20 teams in 2017 now its possible they could end up with 6 or 7 teams in 2017 and be at great risk of not having d2 status very soon.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Fury 3 Minnesota 1 with 6274 in attendance for the 2nd week in a row the Fury came from behind to win, goals from Gentile, Williams and Rozeboom with his 1st.

Fury finally had a full complement of 18 players dressed and in fact had 21 players available.

Kibb

Jan 4, 2011
Ottawa
www.fightingforstanley.ca
Also to remember is that most of the teams in the USL are reserve teams of MLS teams, so the team will always be changing as playes are called up or released and new players coming in, there would be no loyalty to the team.
Interesting to note 3 of the top 4 in attendances are Independant franchises.
If the Fury was an independant franchise would they draw bigger crowds than if they were a reserve team of say the Montreal impact?

Ottawa will be an independent club in USL. So the team won't be having people "called up". Fury are the Fury and noone's reserve side.

CSA which btw isn't currently allowing canadian teams to enter US div 3 (which USL currently is, could be 2 next year), but might to help tide Ottawa over until the CPL. Also has a rule, that no canadian club can have a farm club/reserve team in another city in Canada. Even without that rule, it isn't happening anyway.

BTW there is a big difference between the Affiliates and Partnership clubs with USL/MLS.

The teams like TFC II, Swope Park Rangers, Orlando B, FC Montreal are pure reserve sides/B teams for the MLS club.

While Affiliates like Sacramento (who will be Independent next year), St. Louis, etc signed agreements with an MLS club to allow them to develop players for them in exchange for something (coaching stuff, developement, etc). An Example of this would be Sacramento republic having 4 SJ Earthquake players loaned to them for the year, the rest of the team are just straight up Sacramento players.

So Affiliate clubs run the gamut from being pretty much an independent club (having a few loaned players) to some level of integration (much more loaned players, some coaches)

Last edited:

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
Pretty cool you guys have your own thread. I'm definitely excited for the Rowdies to be joining the USL since I can't see the NASL surviving to 2018, especially if they lose D2 status. Hopefully we both stay independent.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Fury drop the season ender 1-0 to Fort Lauderdale. Attendance was a respectable 4903 given the rainy cold day (it actually stopped raining just before kickoff, but it wasn't too pleasant).

Wonder how many players will be back next season?

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Dalglish was hoping 9-11 of the team to stay, expect Haworth and Edwards to stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad