OT: Ottawa Fury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
The Fury will play the same number of games as last year 32

The 2017 USL regular season schedule will see teams play a 32 matches contested over 30 weeks, with the regular season starting March 24-26 and concluding the weekend of October 13-15. Teams will play two games (one home, one away) against each conference rival. The remaining four games will be played against regional foes. Teams will not face each other more than three times during the 2017 regular season.

The top eight teams in each conference will qualify for postseason play that will include Conference Quarterfinals (Oct. 20-22), Semifinals (Oct. 27-29) and Final (Nov. 3-5). The 2017 USL Cup Final will be played the weekend of November 10-12. The full 2017 USL schedule will be released soon.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
While the NASL may have been bush league, it at least kind of FELT big league. Having cities like Miami and NYC come to town was big league. Having Raul in town was big league.

The USL...not so much. The Furys LOWEST attended game last season beat the entire season attendance for Montreal....a team that didn't charge for tickets. We will play reserve squads, and basically are one.

I let my season tickets go this year. I will see how the season goes, but a lot of the shine is gone off the Fury for me. Its a real shame they got cheap and fielded a USL quality team last year. At least this season they will be able to compete. The USL can slap D2 on itself all it wants, its CLEARLY a lower level of soccer than the NASL the Fury played in.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
While the NASL may have been bush league, it at least kind of FELT big league. Having cities like Miami and NYC come to town was big league. Having Raul in town was big league.

The USL...not so much. The Furys LOWEST attended game last season beat the entire season attendance for Montreal....a team that didn't charge for tickets. We will play reserve squads, and basically are one.

I let my season tickets go this year. I will see how the season goes, but a lot of the shine is gone off the Fury for me. Its a real shame they got cheap and fielded a USL quality team last year. At least this season they will be able to compete. The USL can slap D2 on itself all it wants, its CLEARLY a lower level of soccer than the NASL the Fury played in.

I would not use Montreal as a shinning example of the Usl there is a reason there no longer in the league Cincinnati avg 15,000 far more then any other Nasl team and there are many other teams like that as for its a lower level not really more and more high end players are going to the Usl.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I would not use Montreal as a shinning example of the Usl there is a reason there no longer in the league Cincinnati avg 15,000 far more then any other Nasl team and there are many other teams like that as for its a lower level not really more and more high end players are going to the Usl.

Ok, we wont use Montreal. It takes two of the Furys games last year to best the season total for the league champion NYRBII.

The league average is 3400, but that is bolstered GREATLY by two teams (Cincy and Sacramento). Thats over 1,000 less than the average in the NASL, but there attendance was pretty consistent across teams, unlike the USL which had a game with 58(!) people in attendance last year. Thats less than many childrens soccer games.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Ok, we wont use Montreal. It takes two of the Furys games last year to best the season total for the league champion NYRBII.

The league average is 3400, but that is bolstered GREATLY by two teams (Cincy and Sacramento). Thats over 1,000 less than the average in the NASL, but there attendance was pretty consistent across teams, unlike the USL which had a game with 58(!) people in attendance last year. Thats less than many childrens soccer games.

Sure just as the Nasl was bolstered was Indy/Ottawa/Minn/Tampa take Edmonton they avg 1000 Fort Lauderdale under 100 New York 3000 the Nasl is not as good as your making it out to be and there is a reason it was on the verge of folding.

Last edited:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
As for people saying atleast Ottawa can compete in the Usl in fact that's not true they would have been a lock more or less to make the play offs in the Nasl while in the Usl in the east alone there will be 12 teams fighting for 8 spots it will be far harder for them then if they had stayed in the Nasl.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
I think It will be 15 teams fighting for 8 spots

East

Tampa
Ottawa
Toronto
Orlando
St Louis
New York
Charlotte
Louisville
Cincinnati
Rochester
Richmond
Pittsburgh
Harrisburg
Charleston
Bethleham

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
My biggest issue with the Fury in the USL is that it seems to be just a temporary stop over and that they might be jumping over to the CPL or whatever it will be called in a year or two.

I'll still go to games, but it's hard to get worked up over rivalries when you know there's a pretty good chance you won't be seeing any of these teams soon enough. I understand their hand might have been forced if they believed there was a good chance the NASL might have gone under, and they didn't seem to want to spend what was needed to consistently compete in the NASL, but it still kills some of the momentum.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
My biggest issue with the Fury in the USL is that it seems to be just a temporary stop over and that they might be jumping over to the CPL or whatever it will be called in a year or two.

I'll still go to games, but it's hard to get worked up over rivalries when you know there's a pretty good chance you won't be seeing any of these teams soon enough. I understand their hand might have been forced if they believed there was a good chance the NASL might have gone under, and they didn't seem to want to spend what was needed to consistently compete in the NASL, but it still kills some of the momentum.

I don't think it was a matter of not wanting to spend enough but when you have 2 teams over paying that buts demands on other teams just take Ny for them to lose $30 million in 3 years that concerns many others.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Callum Irving Fury FC goalkeeper features on 18-man list selected to face Bermuda on Jan 22

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Fury pre-season schedule out
http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news_article/show/747916?referrer_id=2824815

February 17 – vs Ottawa Internationals – University of Ottawa (Ottawa, ON)

February 21 – vs St. Louis FC – IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL)

February 23 – vs OKC Energy – IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL)

February 25 – vs FC Cincinnati – IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL)

March 3 – vs Toronto FC II – KIA Field (Toronto, ON)

March 10 – vs Rochester Rhinos – University of Ottawa (Ottawa, ON)

March 17 – vs Ontario League 1 All-Stars – University of Ottawa (Ottawa, ON)

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Looks like the Fury have signed another. Sergio Manesio

CSU Vikings Soccer ‏@CSUSoccer

Congrats to @manesio on signing his first professional contract with @OttawaFuryFC ! Hard work pays off, role model on and off the field!

Now another group says he has signed

AFC Cleveland ‏@AFCCleveland

Congrats to former @AFCCleveland standout @manesio on signing his first professional contract with @OttawaFuryFC

Nothing from the Fury though

Last edited:

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Fury goalie Callum Irving started and played first half for Canada yesterday in a 4-2 win over Bermuda.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com

Yeah a lot of reserve squad have 18 signed players (which is the goal according to our coach, we have around 16 right now) that have no affiliation with their "first" team..... ridiculous statement.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Yeah a lot of reserve squad have 18 signed players (which is the goal according to our coach, we have around 16 right now) that have no affiliation with their "first" team..... ridiculous statement.

Ottawa will have 1-4 layers from Montreal with the Fury having full control if they were a affiliation we would have 10-15 players from Montreal with no control.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa

I felt the same as you at first, but after doing a bit more research on the USL - yes it does suck we'll be playing against a few reserve teams and I firmly feel there is no place for pure farm teams in a soccer pyramid (especially not at the 2nd division level), but there are a few absolute gems that really make NASL look bad.

Sacramento Republic and FC Cincinnati's attendance rivalled some MLS teams last year: http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/sto...dance-records-this-week-and-all-season-091916

Rochester Rhinos is one of America's oldest and most classic soccer brands.

It's not all doom and gloom - looking forward to some fresh match-ups.

PS FC Montreal folded this past off-season. :naughty:

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Fury pre-season schedule out
http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news_article/show/747916?referrer_id=2824815

February 17 – vs Ottawa Internationals – University of Ottawa (Ottawa, ON)

February 21 – vs St. Louis FC – IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL)

February 23 – vs OKC Energy – IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL)

February 25 – vs FC Cincinnati – IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL)

March 3 – vs Toronto FC II – KIA Field (Toronto, ON)

March 10 – vs Rochester Rhinos – University of Ottawa (Ottawa, ON)

March 17 – vs Ontario League 1 All-Stars – University of Ottawa (Ottawa, ON)

Wooowee trash preseason schedule like always.

So much for that promised friendly against the Impact.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Just to be clear to be D2 the USSF has strict rules and the Nasl this past year did fail to meet many of them the Usl also had to get waivers.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Seems to me that some people just dont read, re the pre-season they have 7 pre-season games, 5 against other USL teams, last year they had 6 pre-season games, 1 against a NASL team 3 against USL teams and 2 against academy teams
To me that is an up grade this year over last.
It was never said the game against Montreal Impact was a pre-season game, it was a game to be played DURING the season.
Ottawa Fury is NOT a reserve team, they own 16 players will add another 2, they have an agreement for the Impact to loan 1-4 players of the Fury's choosing, these players will play at the Fury's choice.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Seems to me that some people just dont read, re the pre-season they have 7 pre-season games, 5 against other USL teams, last year they had 6 pre-season games, 1 against a NASL team 3 against USL teams and 2 against academy teams
To me that is an up grade this year over last.
It was never said the game against Montreal Impact was a pre-season game, it was a game to be played DURING the season.
Ottawa Fury is NOT a reserve team, they own 16 players will add another 2, they have an agreement for the Impact to loan 1-4 players of the Fury's choosing, these players will play at the Fury's choice.

I feel like we'll have to repeat this every week or so because the message is not getting through.

Better save it somewhere so you can cut/paste it next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad