OT: Ottawa Fury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Okay not as bad as I thought - so long as the crucial criteria of 1) having complete control over the club + being able to say no to IMFC and 2) being eligible for the Canadian Cup, I'm happy. I'll give the team credit - they've gone extremely out of their way (almost suspiciously so) to explicitly reiterate on every social media platform that we remain 100% independent.

If it goes any further I'll grab the pitchfork again.

In other news just about all the NASL teams have jumped ship and will likely be in USL next season. As the NASL implosion worsens and time goes on I'm getting more and more excited for the upcoming USL season. We've gone from a smaller, higher profile league of 12 or so teams to a lesser profile, but much larger (30+ teams) league with a more varied base of players and fans.

Sucks to have so many of them be reserve sides, but I'm looking forward to a more diverse schedule and especially the matchups against the phenomenal independent clubs being built up (Indy 11, Cincinatti, Sacramento, Charleston).

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Not surprised but Romuald Peiser has signed for the San Francisco Deltas

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Not surprised but Romuald Peiser has signed for the San Francisco Deltas

:( Really too bad - what an incredible keeper and a leader for the squad over the past 3 years.

I mean we stole him right out of the top Portuguese league. I still have no clue how MDS managed to do that.

Good luck to him in San Fran. We won't see him much (or at all) unless we reach the USL final now.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
So, does it mean Impact players can't play for Fury in the Canadian Cup? Or how does it work?
I do not know the answer as far as Canada is concerned, but i would imagine it is the same as in England, and that is it is up to the team who owns the loaned player, they decide whether the player can play for the loanees club or not, as once a player plays in a cup competition for one team he cannot play for another team.
Usually if a player that is loaned out, is not in the plans of his own team of playing in their first team, he is given permission for him to play for the other club. Once he has played in a cup game for one team he is "cuptied" and cannot play for another during that season.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Don't think so - we should be good to go.

Listening to TSN690, the Impact players cannot play for Ottawa, but the Impact development players can...and it will always be to the discretion of the coah which players from Montreal play...although the Impact president was quite confident that their players are an upgrade to what we have right now.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Listening to TSN690, the Impact players cannot play for Ottawa, but the Impact development players can...and it will always be to the discretion of the coah which players from Montreal play...although the Impact president was quite confident that their players are an upgrade to what we have right now.

I would be very surprised that all their players would be upgrades. They had the worst team in the USL which is regarded as a little lower in quality than the NASL. How in the world would those kids be better than our players?

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa

No chance - we beat an almost full strength Vancouver Whitecaps squad last year. Before the implosion it was very arguable that NASL lineups were a much higher quality than USL ones overall.

We had (and still have) global stars like Senna, Raul, Joe Cole, Freddy Adu etc... in that league.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Nasl 2017

SF
PR
Miami
Indy
New York
Edmonton
Atlanta (Fall 2017)
Jacksonville
North Carolina
Fort Lauderdale
Orange County (fall 2017)
San Diego (Fall 2017)

Some how the Nasl has survived mass teams leaving but adding 2 more western teams increases travel big time.

Last edited:

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Ottawa Fury
‏@OttawaFuryFC
The @USL has been granted Division 2 status from @ussoccer, beginning with the 2017 season #WeAreUnited #USL http://uslsoc.cr/USLD2

The United Soccer League (USL) today was granted provisional Division 2 status by the U.S. Soccer Federation (USSF) Board of Directors, beginning with the 2017 season.

Since 2014, the USL has more than doubled in size. Ottawa Fury FC, Reno 1868 FC and the Tampa Bay Rowdies are joining as new clubs for next season while Nashville SC will begin play in 2018 with further expansion on the horizon

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Usl 2017 division set up

East

Tampa
Ottawa
Toronto
Orlando
St Louis
New York
Charlotte
Louisville
Cincinnati
Rochester
Richmond
Pittsburgh
Harrisburg
Charleston
Bethleham

West

Reno
Tulsa
Seattle
Portland
Phoenix
Salt Lake
Oklahoma
Vancouver
Rio Grande
Los Angeles
Sacremento
Swope City
San Antonio
Orange County
Colorado Springs

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Usl 2017 division set up

East

Tampa
Ottawa
Toronto
Orlando
St Louis
New York
Charlotte
Louisville
Cincinnati
Rochester
Richmond
Pittsburgh
Harrisburg
Charleston
Bethleham

West

Reno
Tulsa
Seattle
Portland
Phoenix
Salt Lake
Oklahoma
Vancouver
Rio Grande
Los Angeles
Sacremento
Swope City
San Antonio
Orange County
Colorado Springs

It'll be nice to watch a bunch of new teams play the Fury. It always felt like we were watching the same teams over and over again in the NASL.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
More details

32 Game schedule.

2 Game's vs each team in the conference.

4 Games vs rivals but you can't play any team more then 3 times.

Top 8 out of each conference make the play offs.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Looks like the Fury have signed another, their twitter feed says SigningAlert: Fury FC has just signed midfielder, Jonathan Barden for the 2017 season
http://www.ottawafuryfc.com/news_article/show/743889?referrer_id=2824815

Jonathan Barden is English and listed as a fullback/midfielde, the last 2 years he has been playing for Vestmannaeyjar in Iceland

Turns out Barden played for the Fury back in 2013 with the Fury PDL team.

Last edited:

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
I see former Fury players Nicki Paterson has moved back to Scotland and Drew Beckie has been released by North Carolina FC (formerly Carolina Railhawks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad