OT: Ottawa Fury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
An affiliation should be fine. The Fury are not becoming their reserve side (which is the first thing I thought of when the rumours surfaced), which is the point at which most fans would say bye-bye-Fury. As long as the agreement doesn't hand over final say on who is playing and who gets the minutes.

Ottawa is doing a favor for Montreal and the league maybe we get something in return such as a pre season game between Impact and Toronto.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
God no - if this becomes a 'farm team' type situation I'm out fully.

I don't personally like the Impact, but why are you against being a farm team in general, other than "omg bush league" (which, news flash, any league below the MLS is just that). It is obvious that the NASL/USL is a tier below the MLS in talent and status. Sometimes people enjoy the affiliation with a big club - it gives them reason to follow an MLS team as well. It might **** off the die hards but it could draw in more casuals, and that means more gate revenue.

Also, for someone who prides themselves on being a "true fan" of an Ottawa team like the Fury and preaches a hardcore sports fan attitude, you seem poised to jump ship rather easily.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I don't personally like the Impact, but why are you against being a farm team in general, other than "omg bush league" (which, news flash, any league below the MLS is just that). It is obvious that the NASL/USL is a tier below the MLS in talent and status. Sometimes people enjoy the affiliation with a big club - it gives them reason to follow an MLS team as well. It might **** off the die hards but it could draw in more casuals, and that means more gate revenue.

Also, for someone who prides themselves on being a "true fan" of an Ottawa team like the Fury and preaches a hardcore sports fan attitude, you seem poised to jump ship rather easily.

Just speaking for myself here, but it would be disappointing for me because my absolute favorite part of every season is watching the Fury compete in the Canadian championship for a chance to move on. I assume if we were just a feeder team for a Canadian MLS team that would no longer happen. Not that I wouldn't cheer for them, of course I would. My interest would certainly take a huge dive though.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

Montreal would have a huge say on the direction Ottawa goes and the team would be 90% Impact players.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Montreal would have a huge say on the direction Ottawa goes and the team would be 90% Impact players.

OMG give your head a shake:banghead:, the FURY have signed 14 players, 2 of those this week, these are OTTAWA FURY players they are not montreal impact players.
Do you really think the Fury would be signing players if 90% of the team would be from another team. If this rumoured affiliation goes through i expect the impac may loan a few players to the Fury.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
OMG give your head a shake:banghead:, the FURY have signed 14 players, 2 of those this week, these are OTTAWA FURY players they are not montreal impact players.
Do you really think the Fury would be signing players if 90% of the team would be from another team. If this rumoured affiliation goes through i expect the impac may loan a few players to the Fury.

No I said if they were a farm team.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
NO your exact quote was
Montreal would have a huge say on the direction Ottawa goes and the team would be 90% Impact players

No mention of IF

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa

The point is it stops being an "Ottawa" team. It becomes a Montreal team. Even worse, it becomes a Montreal team controlled out of Montreal. Suddenly we're losing our best players before the playoffs and having young untested guys forced into minutes to get playing time the parent club demands. The point of a farm team isn't to win games, it's to develop players for another club elsewhere. Noone will give a damn if a farm team Fury goes 0-11 if they develop one superstar Impact player.

Sorry but if you don't understand why independence is important in soccer, then you don't understand soccer. B teams, reserve teams etc... are not considered fun to watch outside North America (and even there they're always treated as an inferior product no matter what). The Premier League has a completely separate reserve league for a reason, and they don't pretend to be anything but a reserve league by basing the teams in other cities and calling them unique names.

Sure the NASL/USL/CPL aren't top quality, but the independence means what the team wins is for Ottawa. We get the glory. Which is the whole point of following pro sports isn't it? Plus being independent opens up a whole realm of possibilities in soccer not available in other sports: Canada Cup tournament, international friendlies, CONCACAF etc...

Anyways, it looks like this all might just end up being a harmless 'affiliation' (a few loans here and there) instead of an outright farm club, so I'll put down the pitch fork for now.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The Usl is at 31 teams now with Indy/North Carolina/SF expected to join in the coming days with Edmonton/Jacksonville/Fort Lauderdale on the bubble.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
The point is it stops being an "Ottawa" team. It becomes a Montreal team. Even worse, it becomes a Montreal team controlled out of Montreal. Suddenly we're losing our best players before the playoffs and having young untested guys forced into minutes to get playing time the parent club demands. The point of a farm team isn't to win games, it's to develop players for another club elsewhere. Noone will give a damn if a farm team Fury goes 0-11 if they develop one superstar Impact player.

Sorry but if you don't understand why independence is important in soccer, then you don't understand soccer. B teams, reserve teams etc... are not considered fun to watch outside North America (and even there they're always treated as an inferior product no matter what). The Premier League has a completely separate reserve league for a reason, and they don't pretend to be anything but a reserve league by basing the teams in other cities and calling them unique names.

Sure the NASL/USL/CPL aren't top quality, but the independence means what the team wins is for Ottawa. We get the glory. Which is the whole point of following pro sports isn't it? Plus being independent opens up a whole realm of possibilities in soccer not available in other sports: Canada Cup tournament, international friendlies, CONCACAF etc...

Anyways, it looks like this all might just end up being a harmless 'affiliation' (a few loans here and there) instead of an outright farm club, so I'll put down the pitch fork for now.

Thanks for the explanation. I have made it clear in the past that I don't know soccer or the structure very well, so the breakdown is appreciated. The "farm team" situation does sound rather poor when you put it that way. I still think it would be neat (like when the Lynx were the Expos' AAA team) but you're right about it sucking when the best players get plucked.

Last edited:

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Peiser update.

Sold everything in Ottawa, moving back to europe. Intends to play in NA next year.
"I sold everything here in Ottawa... I leave for Europe next week"
".. .my intention is to play soccer in North America next year..."
As told to Unique FM earlier today.

Would'nt be surprised if he shows up in San Francisco with Marc De Santos

Last edited:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Peiser update.

Sold everything in Ottawa, moving back to europe. Intends to play in NA next year.
"I sold everything here in Ottawa... I leave for Europe next week"
".. .my intention is to play soccer in North America next year..."
As told to Unique FM earlier today.

Would'nt be surprised if he shows up in San Francisco with Marc De Santos

That is if SF has a team.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Impact players with the Usl team now have 3 choices

1)Try out with Ottawa
2)Play in the Plsq
3)Release

Also if enough players stick around Montreal will enter a team in the Plsq.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Thanks for the explanation. I have made it clear in the past that I don't know soccer or the structure very well, so the breakdown is appreciated. The "farm team" situation does sound rather poor when you put it that way. I still think it would be neat (like when the Lynx were the Expos' AAA team) but you're right about it sucking when the best players get plucked.

No worries - soccer is a very different beast from other sports we're used to. Soccer clubs are historically much more rooted in community than other sports teams and being independent is important for a wide range of reasons (not least of which is the competitions that open up to it). People get up and go to Bury FC (3rd division English soccer) games just the same as if they were Manchester United. The quality of play/league is less important that the fact that it's "our club, our community" type deal.

It was a real eye opening experience living in Europe a while back. I've found North Americans are a tad more bandwagoney and focused on attaching themselves to the "big thing" (top teams, top leagues etc...) which makes even being the farm team to a "big thing" something attractive, even though in traditional soccer terms it's a bit of a perversion.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com

So after looking through info from the Montreal media and Ottawa media and some in the know, it looks like it's going to be a very loose affiliation in order to get Montreal on par with rules of MLS. So players on Montreal FC will, if they want, get a tryout for Ottawa. From what I hear, it's a max of 4 spots. They will belong to the Impact, so it will be a loan deal with those players. Ottawa has total control over their playing time. They can sit them for the whole season if they feel like it.

So I think this was actually blown out of proportion. It's nothing like a farm team or a reserve team whatsoever. Pretty much loan deals.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
So after looking through info from the Montreal media and Ottawa media and some in the know, it looks like it's going to be a very loose affiliation in order to get Montreal on par with rules of MLS. So players on Montreal FC will, if they want, get a tryout for Ottawa. From what I hear, it's a max of 4 spots. They will belong to the Impact, so it will be a loan deal with those players. Ottawa has total control over their playing time. They can sit them for the whole season if they feel like it.

So I think this was actually blown out of proportion. It's nothing like a farm team or a reserve team whatsoever. Pretty much loan deals.

I can live with this.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Sounds like Edmonton is not interested in going to the Usl so for the Canadian Championship it would be Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto/Vancouver.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
They were discussing the FC Montreal shuttering on TSN690 this morning. It all sounded good from an Ottawa point of view, though they weren't happy from an Impact perspective getting rid of their reserve team. I was worried that the Impact was kicking Ottawa some cash and in exchange would have some say in who played and how the Fury were going to develop players, but it just sounded like the Fury were going to be in total control and FCM players would have to make the team and earn their minutes. It might have been just the media's interpretation, but it didn't sound like they were expecting much from the Fury beyond the opportunity for a few roster spots.

A question came up about MLS players coming back from injury and in the past they have used their USL reserve team to get some minutes to get back into game shape for the MLS, and if this could still happen with the Ottawa affiliation.

Marinaro had the interesting idea of why didn't the Impact just move FC Montreal to Quebec City and operate it as a USL team there. They might have been able to attract larger crowds than the couple of hundred they were attracting at Claude Robillard to get closer to break-even. There didn't seem to be any reason other than economic to shutter the team.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I think they issue would have been the Csa would they be fine with Montreal moving a reserve team to QC not likely unless it had a QC owner even then I think there would have been issues with the Csa.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I think they issue would have been the Csa would they be fine with Montreal moving a reserve team to QC not likely unless it had a QC owner even then I think there would have been issues with the Csa.

Yes, I suppose if they had designs on Quebec City for the CPL then they might not want a reserve squad in the USL located in Quebec.

Kibb

Jan 4, 2011
Ottawa
www.fightingforstanley.ca
Ok ya it's nothing really.

Seems like it's a favour from Ottawa so Montreal they can tick a box off on their MLS requirement for something in USL.

So in the end we get a friendly and any loans WE might want.. with playtime, roster, everything in our control.

We already have 14 players on the Roster with Daglish still in negotations with more.. so alot of the roster is already sorted.

So i'm guessing between 1 to 4 loanees from Montreal.

And we still get to play in the Voyageurs Cup.

This could have been alot worse. Hope CPL stuff comes through.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad