OT: Ottawa Fury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

littleD

Well that sucks, I was hoping they would be able to make a go of it.

I was going to pick up some season tix when I finally move back to Ottawa in a year or two.

Has attendance really been that bad?

From the numbers I've seen, Ottawa is top 5 in average attendance, a few hundred per game higher than last season. Last season was a run to the championship, this season is a run to the bottom of the table.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

I was going to pick up some season tix when I finally move back to Ottawa in a year or two.

Attendance has been really good as for why would they leave likely has more to do with the state of the Nasl Minnesota is gone at the end of this year then you have 3 or 4 others teams that might not be back Oklahoma/Tampa/Miami/PR its possible the league could be less then 8 teams next year.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Well there goes any hope of ever landing an MLS team. Damn. What a disappointment.

I guess OSEG is going to pour even more money into the 67s and RB's now?

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Well there goes any hope of ever landing an MLS team. Damn. What a disappointment.

I guess OSEG is going to pour even more money into the 67s and RB's now?

Don't assume this means there folding in fact most don't think that's the case at all some think they could be heading to Usl Pro while other think its the new Canadian pro league the Nasl is like a sinking ship right now and there wise to get off it now.

Kibb

Jan 4, 2011
Ottawa
www.fightingforstanley.ca
Many ways to take this information.

There is talk of a Canadian Div 1(a) but that obv wouldn't start next year. Ottawa Fury will be in the league if it comes.

USL could be a holdover til then.

Ottawa is one of the most stable franchises in the NASL, if Ottawa leaves too the NASL is in massive trouble. Minnesota is going, OKC is a damn disaster and surely folding, 450 people at a game in Fort L., Cosmos getting only 3k.

Ottawa truthfully is one of the best supported NASL teams. League is in serious trouble and many clubs might be folding.

On top of this right now USL is petitioning to be a Div 2 league next year, same level as NASL. CSA is allowing no more teams in USSF leagues unless they are atleast Div2, does CSA know something from the USSF we don't know yet.

Between NASL and USL, USL is the far more stable league.. it also now has connections with MLS. (some reserve sides play in the league)

Of teams below the MLS the top 2 in attendance are Cinnci and Sacramento, those two USL clubs are averaging 20k and 11k a game.

I prefer the NASL as it stands.. but it is possibly a sinking ship, and Ottawa is jumping in a lifeboat til the CPL (canadian premier league or whatever it iwll be called)

Overall, though.. this move if true says alot more about NASL then about Ottawa Fury.

Last edited:

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
There was never any discussion anywhere about OSEG ever getting an MLS team.

Well aware of that. But if Ottawa has continued growing/strong support of a pro soccer team, and already has a MLS calibre facility(TD Place) in place...it very well could become a serious discussion at some point down the line.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Well aware of that. But if Ottawa has continued growing/strong support of a pro soccer team, and already has a MLS calibre facility(TD Place) in place...it very well could become a serious discussion at some point down the line.

It still could be.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa

Attendance has been awesome for a second division team in any soccer league in most places in the world. In my humble (admittedly slightly biased opinion), I find it to have the best atmosphere for pro sports in Ottawa. The supporter's groups do a great job livening things up, even with a loss.

Really sad to see a post like this. I just pray it means a future move to the rumoured Canadian Premier League, and not a drop down to USL with the MLS reserves...

Given the great support this city has given the team, and the quality of soccer that it's become (performance notwithstanding)..it would be a tragedy to lose ground in this way.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The Nasl will be voting at the end of the season if the league should run and own Oklahoma next year if its a yes each team will have to put in $250,000.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I read a newspaper article recently that said the Fury lost $2M last year. If true, I doubt the owners will want to repeat that experience in the future, so the life expectancy of the Fury in Ottawa appears to be short indeed.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I read a newspaper article recently that said the Fury lost $2M last year. If true, I doubt the owners will want to repeat that experience in the future, so the life expectancy of the Fury in Ottawa appears to be short indeed.

Some have asked how correct that number really is but if it is the Fury are one of the better supported teams and that means most teams in the league are losing far far more then that with that said from all reports the Fury will be around for years the Nasl maybe not.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site

They expected to lose money for the first few years starting up the team. The Ottawa market is growing and has been a success, it's doing well. If the team folds it will because of the league problems, not because they couldn't make a go of it in Ottawa.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
The Fury are off on a 8600 klm road trip to play 3 away games. They fly to play Puerto Rico on wednesday night, they then will fly to Carolina for a game on saturday, they will then come home and then fly to play Minnesota the following saturday. Also remember there are no direct flights to any of these locations so lots of airport hopping.

That is big bucks to take probably at least 20 players and staff all that distance and hotels and meals.

Average att. of 5000 is not going to pay those bills.

Last edited:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The Fury are off on a 8600 klm road trip to play 3 away games. They fly to play Puerto Rico on wednesday night, they then will fly to Carolina for a game on saturday, they will then come home and then fly to play Minnesota the following saturday.

That is big bucks to take probably at least 20 players and staff all that distance and hotels and meals.

Average att. of 5000 is not going to pay those bills.

They have the 4th or 5th best attendance there are some team avg less then 2000 so while people want to make this about Ottawa the bigger question needs to be asked how many teams are in serious trouble.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
They have the 4th or 5th best attendance there are some team avg less then 2000 so while people want to make this about Ottawa the bigger question needs to be asked how many teams are in serious trouble.

You need to remember that almost all of Ottawa's revenues are in Canadian dollars so they have to compensate for a dollar that is 30% lower than all but one of the other teams in the NASL with a higher gate. Also, with Ottawa being a primarily government town, there are probably fewer corporate sponsorships for the franchise than any other team in the league. Thus a team averaging 3500 - 4000 in the US like Oklahoma and Jacksonville may have higher revenues due to the advantage of a stronger US dollar and stronger corporate sponsorships.

If true, this would be very interesting. It might pave the way for an 8-10 team Canadian Soccer League which will not have to worry about the fluctuating dollar and should be able to lower travel expenses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad