OT: Ottawa Fury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
You need to remember that almost all of Ottawa's revenues are in Canadian dollars so they have to compensate for a dollar that is 30% lower than all but one of the other teams in the NASL with a higher gate. Also, with Ottawa being a primarily government town, there are probably fewer corporate sponsorships for the franchise than any other team in the league. Thus a team averaging 3500 - 4000 in the US like Oklahoma and Jacksonville may have higher revenues do to the advantage of a stronger US dollar and stronger corporate sponsorships.

If true, this would be very interesting. It might pave the way for an 8-10 team Canadian Soccer League which will not have to worry about the fluctuating dollar and should be able to lower travel expenses.

There is 700,000 workers in Ottawa out of that 200,000 are government workers as for corporate sponsors that's really not a issue with this team with the Sens it is as they compete with Toronto and Montreal if Oklahoma had high reveue they would not be on the verge of folding and there are many other teams in the same boat just hanging on by a finger tip.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
If true, this would be very interesting. It might pave the way for an 8-10 team Canadian Soccer League which will not have to worry about the fluctuating dollar and should be able to lower travel expenses.

You don't have to worry about the exchange rate unless you care about the quality of play in this proposed Canadian league. It's not like something like the CFL where you have limited competition for players and you're one of the few leagues in the world playing your sport. The CPL would be competing with the same leagues like the NASL and USL and countless other leagues around the world for players, both Canadian and import.

If the quality of play is significantly less than NASL because you can't afford anyone but players with no other options, then I'm not sure what the prospects for this league are.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
A CPL would be a very good thing for Canadian soccer fans, but i cant see it ever happening, in the CFL there are 9 teams, 5 of those 9 cities have professional soccer teams, that leaves 4 cities without, Hamilton,Winnipeg, Regina and Calgary.
There is no way that the 3 MLS teams will leave to join a CPL, Ottawa and Edmonton could possibly, maybe the 3 MLS teams could take their reserve teams currenly in USL and place them in a CPL, so who else could possibly afford and has the infrastructure, Quebec City, Halfax, Victoria.
So there is a possibility of 12 teams and maybe 1 or 2 others London, St Johns. what kinda budget would they have, remembering that Halifax and Victoria the travelling distances they would endure, what kinda crowds would come out to see these games, would a tv contract be given.

I can see Ottawa maybe play 1 more year at NASL and then jump to USL, i could also see Edmonton do this as well.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
A CPL would be a very good thing for Canadian soccer fans, but i cant see it ever happening, in the CFL there are 9 teams, 5 of those 9 cities have professional soccer teams, that leaves 4 cities without, Hamilton,Winnipeg, Regina and Calgary.
There is no way that the 3 MLS teams will leave to join a CPL, Ottawa and Edmonton could possibly, maybe the 3 MLS teams could take their reserve teams currenly in USL and place them in a CPL, so who else could possibly afford and has the infrastructure, Quebec City, Halfax, Victoria.
So there is a possibility of 12 teams and maybe 1 or 2 others London, St Johns. what kinda budget would they have, remembering that Halifax and Victoria the travelling distances they would endure, what kinda crowds would come out to see these games, would a tv contract be given.

I can see Ottawa maybe play 1 more year at NASL and then jump to USL, i could also see Edmonton do this as well.

The CPL is very close to being a real league as the vote will take place this Oct to approve the league.

1)Reserve teams would be allowed in the CPl.

2)Toronto/Hamilton/Quebec City/Montreal/Calgary/Winnipeg are the rumors as of now and no they would not be the MLS clubs.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
You don't have to worry about the exchange rate unless you care about the quality of play in this proposed Canadian league. It's not like something like the CFL where you have limited competition for players and you're one of the few leagues in the world playing your sport. The CPL would be competing with the same leagues like the NASL and USL and countless other leagues around the world for players, both Canadian and import.

If the quality of play is significantly less than NASL because you can't afford anyone but players with no other options, then I'm not sure what the prospects for this league are.

I know there will be a Canadian Quota for this league with it being a national league, unlike MLS and NASL. That will be nothing but good news for helping to develop soccer in this country.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
It won't be there secondary teams.

Not necessarily talking about their academies. Just lower level soccer in either city. Don't need to draw many fans...about 5,000 or so a game. I'm sure Ottawa will join the league in a couple years if it comes to fruition..same with Edmonton as they are very isolated and the travel costs are very substantial

BC Team (maybe Vancouver, one of its suburbs or Victoria, longshot Kelowna)
Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatoon or Regina
Winnipeg
Thunder bay (longshot)
Hamilton
Ottawa
Toronto or suburb
London, Kitchener or Windsor (longshot)
Montreal
Quebec City
Moncton or Halifax

Those would be the possibilities for a Canadian Soccer League in its first few seasons. We will see what happens in the coming months.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Not necessarily talking about their academies. Just lower level soccer in either city. Don't need to draw many fans...about 5,000 or so a game. I'm sure Ottawa will join the league in a couple years if it comes to fruition..same with Edmonton as they are very isolated and the travel costs are very substantial

BC Team (maybe Vancouver, one of its suburbs or Victoria, longshot Kelowna)
Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatoon or Regina
Winnipeg
Thunder bay (longshot)
Hamilton
Ottawa
Toronto or suburb
London, Kitchener or Windsor (longshot)
Montreal
Quebec City
Moncton or Halifax

Those would be the possibilities for a Canadian Soccer League in its first few seasons. We will see what happens in the coming months.

But that's the thing the CPL is looking at being a main stream league as for attendance if you go by rumors there first year there target is to avg 10,000 as for what cities again by rumors only those with a population of 500,000 plus will be in the league.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
But that's the thing the CPL is looking at being a main stream league as for attendance if you go by rumors there first year there target is to avg 10,000 as for what cities again by rumors only those with a population of 500,000 plus will be in the league.

So,

Toronto
Montreal
Vancouver
Ottawa
Calgary
Edmonton
Quebec
Winnipeg
Hamilton

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

Rumors are just that. If they expect an average of 10,000 per game during the inaugural season, they will fail. It is completely unreasonable. A Canadian Soccer league will have to be gradually grown and cultivated. They cannot expect 10,000 people to just show up for lower level soccer especially in a country where soccer fandom is sparse and tends to be focused on leagues overseas.

One factor that should help this league over the NASL and USL would be the likelihood of a national tv contract of some kind.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
If they put teams in the MLS cities, they will be lucky to draw Toronto Lynx numbers. They would be better off avoiding them altogether or else it will make the whole league look bad.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Fury tied their 5th consecutive game tonight 0-0 in Carolina, after all their injuries starting to clear up Fury have now been hit with some kind of bug which had 3 players left in the hotel and a few players dressed who should'nt have to make up the numbers. Fury will come home after being in Puerto Rico and Carolina, to then head back out on the road to play in Minnesota next saturday.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
If they put teams in the MLS cities, they will be lucky to draw Toronto Lynx numbers. They would be better off avoiding them altogether or else it will make the whole league look bad.

If a Toronto group comes along and says we will build a 20,000 soccer only stadium with 100% private money you could see a ton of Toronto Fc fans jump ship as many are not one bit happy with MLSE right now.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
This idea of a CPL is a very good one unfortunately it's about 20 years too late.

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009

Agree, for example the Vancouver USL team draws about 1500-2000 people a game and that's with a lot of hard work from their staff.

Better off avoiding those cities.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
If a Toronto group comes along and says we will build a 20,000 soccer only stadium with 100% private money you could see a ton of Toronto Fc fans jump ship as many are not one bit happy with MLSE right now.

I would be surprised if that were the case. It's not nearly going to be as high a level of soccer. You have the Fury with budget issues in the *NASL*(!) and people are looking at the CPL as a saviour. People are always going to gravitate towards the stars like Drogba and Giovinco.

I remember the days of the A-league/USL 1st div. Lynx at Centennial stadium and it wasn't pretty. A CPL Toronto team would basically be that, but with an MLS team in the same city. Good luck.

This idea of a CPL is a very good one unfortunately it's about 20 years too late.

Yes, may be unfortunately true. Ideally should have grown from the old CSL, before MLS started up.

Oh well, won't prevent me from enjoying NASL Fury while we wait to see what happens. Hopefully the front office has a much clearer picture of what might be happening with the NASL and CPL than we fans do (but probably not!). Can't be an easy call on their part.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Inkling

If all goes to plan the level of the Cpl play will be very high as with Toronto if MLSE starts to make it more and more like a Cfl stadium less soccer style you will see many jump ship one example is there is talk of removing the grass and having turf put in for both teams.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
There is nothing more they can do to make BMO Field more and more like a CFL stadium. All reports I have heard have stated that the grass has held up very well for both teams. As such, there is no reason to switch to artificial turf. The Toronto FC's average attendance is at an all-time high as well. People are flocking to that stadium like never before.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
There is nothing more they can do to make BMO Field more and more like a CFL stadium. All reports I have heard have stated that the grass has held up very well for both teams. As such, there is no reason to switch to artificial turf. The Toronto FC's average attendance is at an all-time high as well. People are flocking to that stadium like never before.

There are changes that can be made but the biggest fear some fans have is the Argos will be given the good dates while Fc would have to play many weekday games will that happen who knows as for the grass its holding up ok not as good but not as bad as some expected.

As for attendance yes there avg 27,000 which seems great and in way it is but going into this year they were expected to avg 30,000 and have a waiting list.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
There are changes that can be made but the biggest fear some fans have is the Argos will be given the good dates while Fc would have to play many weekday games will that happen who knows as for the grass its holding up ok not as good but not as bad as some expected.

As for attendance yes there avg 27,000 which seems great and in way it is but going into this year they were expected to avg 30,000 and have a waiting list.

I have not heard or seen any info indicating that the grass is holding up OK. The average of 27,000 doesn't seem great, it is great. Considering they averaged 24,000 last year with a nearly identical lineup, I doubt MLSE expected Toronto FC to immediately increase their attendance to 30,000 with a waiting list of thousands all because they added awnings to the stadium. If so, I would like to see a source.

Remember this is a team that has failed to win a playoff game in its entire existence. To have the crowds they are currently getting is pretty remarkable actually. It's probably unreasonable fans at forums like Red Patch Boys who are forming these opinions - grass holding up ok, Argos will take all the good weekend dates, non-sellouts disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad