Friedman: Ottawa could trade Brannstrom

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
It's the subject of much discussion in Ottawa.

Supposedly he prefers the RD but DJ Smith likes defencemen to play on their handed-side so he's been playing LD.

He's exclusively played LD since coming to the Sens org, save for a few shifts here and there.

Interesting, thanks. We're heavy on RD (Doughty, Walker, Roy, Clarke, Faber, Spence), and pretty much every local insider says Blake is looking to make a trade for an under-25, puck-moving LHD before the start of next season. I think most reports say he'd prefer someone with at least one full NHL season, but obviously trade prices increase there and teams are less likely to trade more proven young talent.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Interesting, thanks. We're heavy on RD (Doughty, Walker, Roy, Clarke, Faber, Spence), and pretty much every local insider says Blake is looking to make a trade for an under-25, puck-moving LHD before the start of next season. I think most reports say he'd prefer someone with at least one full NHL season, but obviously trade prices increase there and teams are less likely to trade more proven young talent.

Personally, I like Brannstrom a lot and I'm part of the fairly sizable faction of Senators fans who can't understand why he isn't playing every day.

He had a dominant game in pre-season and was rewarded by sitting out the next game.

He's creative offensively, has superior vision and playmaking abilities, and sports an underrated shot from the point. His skating is average in speed but fairly crafty and agile and he can turn in tight spaces.

His weakness is man-to-man coverage in his own zone. He's small, so optimally, he'd need a good crease-clearer and board pinner to complement him. However, his zone exits and puck transition are really good, and helped to turn Ottawa's season around last year when he was brought in after we had been pinned in our own zone for the first 12 or so games of the season.

Most Senators fans would like to see something along the lines of:
Chabot-Zub
Brannstrom-Holden
Mete-Zaitsev

With Michael Del Zotto and Josh Brown sitting.

Last edited:

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Personally, I like Brannstrom a lot and I'm part of the fairly sizable faction of Senators fans who can't understand why he isn't playing every day.

He had a dominant game in pre-season and was rewarded by sitting in the next game.

He's creative offensively, has underrated vision and playmaking abilities, an underrated shot from the point. His skating is average in speed but fairly crafty and agile and can turn in tight spaces.

His weakness is man-to-man coverage in his own zone. Optimally, he'd need a good crease-clearer and board pinner to complement him. However, his zone exits and puck transition are really good, and helped to turn Ottawa's season around last year when he was brought in after we had been pinned in our own zone for the first 12 or so games of the season.

Chabot-Zub
Brannstrom-Holden
Mete-Zaitsev

That makes sense. The need for a shutdown guy is also one we have, unfortunately. Roy hasn't been the same since Fiala boarded him, and our defense corps are small overall. Edler and Doughty are our current "size" on the backend.

Reactions: NyQuil

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

He had a dominant game in pre-season and was rewarded by sitting in the next game.

He's creative offensively, has underrated vision and playmaking abilities, an underrated shot from the point. His skating is average in speed but fairly crafty and agile and can turn in tight spaces.

His weakness is man-to-man coverage in his own zone. Optimally, he'd need a good crease-clearer and board pinner to complement him. However, his zone exits and puck transition are really good, and helped to turn Ottawa's season around last year when he was brought in after we had been pinned in our own zone for the first 12 or so games of the season.

Chabot-Zub
Brannstrom-Holden
Mete-Zaitsev

@BringTheReign I will agree with most of this, while saying I do get why he's sitting and I dont think it is an indictment of him whatsoever... just a numbers game right now where they are giving everyone a look. I think he will be up soon... they just don't want him to be part of a rotating crew. If he was an RD or we didn't have Sanderson, I don't think there would be any discussion whatsoever around trading him.

I also don't know if I necessarily have Mete in over either of those guys, especially with Brann in - Holden-J Brown have been a very effective PK pairing whereas Zaitsev & Mete especially have struggled on the PK, and I thought Del Zotto was decent after his turnover to Pavelski. But I've never been a big Mete guy beyond seeing him as a #7.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Anything of interest from Detroit here? Not sure whether Yzerman would make a move here, but I'd be curious to get a sense of what Sens fans are looking for.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Canucks would like a value guy like him to replace Juolevi's fringe-but-high-ceiling position on the team.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Anything of interest from Detroit here? Not sure whether Yzerman would make a move here, but I'd be curious to get a sense of what Sens fans are looking for.
From Detroit? I suspect picks 2-4 from your 2018 draft class would all hold appeal, as well as Rasmussen (who seems to be doing quite well this year?).

I dont think theres a great fit with Detroit, though... ideally, I think we'd get an NHL C or RD in return and you guys arent in a place to really spare one of those.
Canucks would like a value guy like him to replace Juolevi's fringe-but-high-ceiling position on the team.
I don't think Brann has a super high ceiling but dont think hes fringe, either. Just being slow-cooked. Pretty confident he will be a 35-45pt guy who can run your PP. Might always need sheltering at ES but he's a player for sure.... even if he's never capable of anchoring a top 4 pairing.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
From Detroit? I suspect picks 2-4 from your 2018 draft class would all hold appeal, as well as Rasmussen (who seems to be doing quite well this year?).

I dont think theres a great fit with Detroit, though... ideally, I think we'd get an NHL C or RD in return and you guys arent in a place to really spare one of those.

I don't think Brann has a super high ceiling but dont think hes fringe, either. Just being slow-cooked. Pretty confident he will be a 35-45pt guy who can run your PP. Might always need sheltering at ES but he's a player for sure.... even if he's never capable of anchoring a top 4 pairing.

There may not be a great fit here, I think that's fair.

On RHD we have Seider and Hronek, who wouldn't be moved in a deal like this. I think either of Troy Stetcher or Gustav Lindstrom (our 2017 2nd round pick, who has started the year well on the third pairing), could certainly be available. I'm not sure how attractive those pieces are to Ottawa though.

At center we have Larkin who wouldn't be moved. We just signed Pius Suter (makeshift 2C) and Mitchell Stephens (4C), so they can't be moved. We could certainly give you Namestikov, but I'm sure he carries little value. That leaves Veleno and Rasmussen.

I think the Wings (like Ottawa) see a bigger hole at center than LHD, so I think we'd be unlikely to move Veleno for Brannstrom even if the players have similar value. Personally I would be open to a Rasmussen for Brannstrom swap. Rasmussen is playing responsible hockey this year and he has size that you can't teach, but ultimately I just don't think there's a lot of offensive ability there, and that's going to limit him to a bottom 6 role imo.

The other 2018 picks (excluding Veleno) are Berggren and McIsaac. I think the Wings still view Berggren as a potential top six winger so I'm not sure that fans would be thrilled about moving him. I don't think it's out of the question that we would move him though. McIsaac would definitely be in play, nice prospect but injuries have really stacked up unfortunately.

Ultimately you're probably right that Detroit and Ottawa, as two teams in the back half of a rebuild, are probably not ideal trade partners. I'm always curious to talk it out though.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
NJ could use a young RHD but probably doesn’t want to give up the assets Sens fans would want. I don’t want to list a bunch of untouchables but what would the initial ask be?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
He was on the trade block all summer according to people that cover the team. Guess they couldn't get much for him.

His value is probably something like a mid-2nd round pick. He's a project, but his skill-set is not one that is highly valued by the Senators organization.

We've been trying to trade him even before last years trade deadline. DJ is not a fan at all

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
What went wrong with Brannstrom?

Did he go full Cholowski? Or is he just not getting a fair shake by Ottawa?

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
What went wrong with Brannstrom?

Did he go full Cholowski? Or is he just not getting a fair shake by Ottawa?

Chabot is what is wrong. Brannstrom is very much a Tyson Barrie like player, its the top offensive minutes, or he is not that useful (see his play in Toronto vs Edmonton). Brannstrom just has no place to go on the left hand side that complements his game, it only exposes his weaknesses. And moving him to the right hand side further exposes his weaknesses, and even if they did Ottawa prefers to play a defensive minded D man with Chabot akin to the Methot/Karlsson days.

Many Euros prefer their off side because it is very common due to the style of play on a large ice surface. Grow up and learn with it, it can be hard to switch. But the small ice penalizes that especially in the defensive zone where Brannstrom is weak.

He really is not going to get anything from the AHL at this point. And with Sanderson in the wings, I also think a trade has to be inevitable. Hopefully Ottawa puts him in a position to succeed to increase his value, because right now its just not high enough to justify the return Ottawa wants.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
I personally don't see the potential some (most?) Sens fans say Brann has. That said, he's not useless like Logan Brown was, and should return more than a pick. I'd rather keep him as a depth Dman or injury callup, than deal him for a straight pick.

A sweetener to 'move up' in the draft or player quality is what he should be traded for (if dealt at all).

Viladi, Mittelstadt, or Hayton would be ideal targets IMO
Zero chance. Mittelstadt has turned it around in a big way ever since Granato took over and looks like a legit top 6 center. Also, it very much appears like the Sabres might have their own version of Brännström in Bryson.

Reactions: JesterCheese

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad