Rumor: Ottawa and Carolina interested in Yannick Weber

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
According to the Isles board they lost Hamonic last night with a sprained ankle. Senn leaving the arena with a boot on his foot

#Isles say D Travis Hamonic has a sprained ankle. Left MTS Centre last night in a walking boot. Likely out tomorrow vs. Pitt.
Kaberle for a 4th. :naughty:

I remember a few weeks after they traded O'Byrne, the inevitable injuries happened and we had to acquire Sopel, etc.

As for Bournival, the following guys he's the 9th best Habs prospect according to Cory Pronman, and this very community rated him as our 9th best prospect before the 2012 draft.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1351
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=952489
Bournival is going to be an awesome 3rd line center. He's basically what Kyle Chipchura should have been plus high-end speed.

Habtchum*

Kaberle for a 4th. :naughty:

Bournival is going to be an awesome 3rd line center. He's basically what Kyle Chipchura should have been plus high-end speed.

I like Bournival and he could be a good asset down the road, BUT having a big right handed D-man like O'Byrne is a rare commodity. He would fit perfectly on our bottom pairing, even higher. The Habs need a bigger d-corp. O'byrne and Lapierre are the two guys I miss the most on that team.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Unless the Habs are getting an NHL defencemen with size in return, I wouldn't be making any moves with the blueline.

The O'Byrne scenario from 2 years ago is the perfect example why not. Or the Habs will be dealing their prospects and draft picks for washed up guys as injuries occur.

Teams have signing all the remaining free agents just for this reason. (i.e. Pittsburgh signing Mark Eaton and Tom Kostopoulous).

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Someone will be injured soon... Though they are not playing Martin's death on D-men system any more. Weber had amazing numbers in junior and his highs in the NHL have been high. With a solid stay at home partner he might impress.

Lots of time until the deadline.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
So we now have 8 NHL defensemen. One of webs or kabs has to be gone pretty soon, right?

That looks like the case.

And for people who are worried about injuries, I think St. Denis or Tinordi are good enough to come up for a few games to fill in for whoever's injured.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I'd like to see Weber get a chance elsewhere. Getting a 3rd would be nice.
For his sake, I'd like to see him get a chance elsewhere too. But in the bigger picture, it's more beneficial to the Habs if they can find a trade for Kaberle instead of using a compliance buyout on him in the summer. Soooo... sorry, Weber, have to hang in there for another year on the sidelines, waiting for your chance. I'd keep status quo all season with 8D, hoping against hope of getting a return on Kaberle. Then buying Kaberle out if no trade was possible. Then qualifying Weber in the summer. Then starting camp next year with Weber as the default #7 again until somebody beats him out. It's not the best for Weber, but it's the best for the Habs.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Yea, I don't want Weber to be dragged along as an 7th or 8th all season long just to watch the games from above. Give the kid a chance somewhere else. He's been playing just like we wanted him to without ever complaining (thinking of when we put him on the 4th line).

I'm sure he'll be good somewhere else.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Now that Subban is signed time to give Weber a chance elsewhere. I'd rather move Kaberle but Weber is probably easier to move, and he's not going to improve in the press box.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I like Bournival and he could be a good asset down the road, BUT having a big right handed D-man like O'Byrne is a rare commodity. He would fit perfectly on our bottom pairing, even higher. The Habs need a bigger d-corp. O'byrne and Lapierre are the two guys I miss the most on that team.

Amen.

O'Byrne should never have been shipped off. Too bad that Martin hated the guy.

Weber or Kaberle. I would choose Kaberle (for this season only). Time to move Weber to a desperate for a healthy DMan team.

As someone said, if we need emergency callups, St-Denis plays the exact same game as Weber.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Amen.

O'Byrne should never have been shipped off. Too bad that Martin hated the guy.

Weber or Kaberle. I would choose Kaberle (for this season only). Time to move Weber to a desperate for a healthy DMan team.

As someone said, if we need emergency callups, St-Denis plays the exact same game as Weber.
O'Byrne is the #6 in Colorado.

IMO, we have 6 defenseman better than him, with two around the same caliber of play I see nowhere O'Byrne fits in.

And St-Denis really is nothing like Weber. St-Denis is more like Diaz than Weber.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Now that Subban is signed time to give Weber a chance elsewhere. I'd rather move Kaberle but Weber is probably easier to move, and he's not going to improve in the press box.

Bingo. I'm sure the Habs would love to move Kaberle but I doubt anyone wants him. Our only chance would be if the poster Carey Price becomes GM somewhere ;)

I'll take a pick for Weber at this point

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

IMO, we have 6 defenseman better than him, with two around the same caliber of play I see nowhere O'Byrne fits in.

And St-Denis really is nothing like Weber. St-Denis is more like Diaz than Weber.

Not size wise.

We need O'Byrne for his size, not his puck moving abilities.

Dec 2, 2010

No OB is not better than what we have but he's a different type of D than Fred, Weber and Kaberle.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
1. Trade Kaberle for spare parts.
2. Trade for a big contract that the other team can't move (no more compliance buyout/ too low budget) with a compensation (pick/prospect) for us. Buy him out with our 2nd compliance buyout.
3. ???
4. Profit

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Meh, next year we'll have Tinordi.

Tinordi, Dietz, Pateryn and Thrower could all be NHL read in 2-3 years, they will not all make the team or even be NHLers one day, but that great to have so much physical defencemen in the system. Nathan Beaulieu can also hold his own in a fight.

Could be as tough as when Souray and Rivet were in their prime, Komisarek was coming in the league and Bouillon was making a name for himself all on the same team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad