Rumor: Ottawa and Carolina interested in Yannick Weber

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Kind of hard to come with that conclusion since the guy was never really given. Fair chance for more then a few games and was told to play as a forward like the same mistake we made with Streit

He's had a fair bit of chances and did well in some and struggled in others, not unlike a lot of d-men who only established themselves as regulars in their mid 20's. He defin itely has all the tolls to be a good #5-6 in the NHL, maybe a #4.

Trading him for anything less than a 3rd right now would be dumb IMHO. If one of our top 6 goes down we'll be in trouble. Maybe once Subban signs(not any time soon IMHO) we can look at moving him, but I'd rather trade Kaberle instead.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Weber is now irrelevant in our roster. The line between him and Diaz is quite narrow. It gives you nothing to have too many players that share the same dimension.

Diaz has overplayed Weber, pure and simple. And with Tinordi and co in the minors we have more interesting prospects to fill the void of a 7-8th defensemen.

Our best option would be to package him otherwise don't expect anything but a pick in return. And even then my angle would be to shop him with another of our prospects to get either a higher draft pick or a higher value prospect.

I would shop Weber + Kristo.

The only NHL roster move I would make this year is a potential Cole replacement. I very much dislike his "retirement" attitude at the beginning of the year. Unfortunately take Cole out of our lineup and MTL's competitiveness plummets.

That being said....it's not Weber that will be an enabler for that type of situation.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Weber is now irrelevant in our roster. The line between him and Diaz is quite narrow. It gives you nothing to have too many players that share the same dimension.

Diaz has overplayed Weber, pure and simple. And with Tinordi and co in the minors we have more interesting prospects to fill the void of a 7-8th defensemen.

Our best option would be to package him otherwise don't expect anything but a pick in return. And even then my angle would be to shop him with another of our prospects to get either a higher draft pick or a higher value prospect.

The only NHL roster move I would make this year is a potential Cole replacement. I very much dislike his "retirement" attitude at the beginning of the year. Unfortunately take Cole out of our lineup and MTL's competitiveness plummets.

That being said....it's not Weber that will be an enabler for that type of situation.

I would not shop Kristo. I saw him play and he is by far our best offensive prospect that is not in the AHL right now. In my mind he is right behind Agally and Bgally. He has crazy speed and has a deadly shot. I would shop Leblanc+ Weber though.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
We should never have signed Bouillon, and should have signed Subban by now. Instead we will trade a player with potential in Weber and prefer playing Bouillon on the 2nd PP unit. What sense does this make? More and more MB is giving me cause to doubt.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He's also a young kid that deserves a chance to play. We have others in the minors that could do a similar job to Weber that are going to quickly pass him on the depth chart, why not do the kid a favor and give him a breath of fresh air somewhere else?

I'm not big on trading young players, but in this particular case I think there is some weight to the idea of doing so. Diaz has passed him on the depth chart and he cost us nothing, same with Emelin. We have St-Denis in Hamilton who could come in and play solid defense for us (he's better in his own zone than Weber), and we also have Tinordi and Beaulieu who could step in if need be.

Habs wouldn't get nothing for Weber. Late round pick tops. Tinordi and Beaulieu are not ready. If injuries occur may need Weber.

Ask Canes/Sens if they are interested in Kaberle instead?

Last edited:

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
This will be the amazing source of events.
Don't get confused, you have seen this before.
We trade Weber for nothing.. 5th round pick.
We lose Subban for very little because of incompetent Management.
Powerplay struggles due to a lack of a point shot.
Montreal overpays for an aging or one-dimensional blue-liner (to the tune of a 2nd round pick+) to help the powerplay.
Powerplay marginally improves but we still miss the play-offs.
The aging blue-liner who performed adequately is lost to free agency for nothing. Thus flushing our 2nd round pick down the toilet.

This calls for a return of the promised son. Calgary's pick for Marc Andre Bergeron! :yo:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Nothing but a pick coming from the Canes. Unless they are interested in getting rid of Zac Dalpé which I don't think they should be. I wouldn't trade him to the Sens. Which I don't think Weber's ceiling is that high, he is still part of the infamous list of prospects that we haven't tried really and will get rid of him without getting a significant read on him. Let's hope it won't blow up in our face....AGAIN.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Way too many injury prone guys on the current blueline to trade any D-man at this point (Markov, Gorges, Diaz, Bouillon have all had lengthy injury stints in the last 2 seasons), unless it's dumping Kaberle. The kids in HAM are not ready. Weber will get his chance.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
Imo in terms of “â€NHL readinessâ€, Tinordi and Saint-Denis are ahead of him in the depth chart so, from my point of view, we are chatting about our 10th best D. Weber is no crap but if our 10th best D can fetch us a 3rd round pick in 2013, I say go for it.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I think that it will be a better idea to trade Kaberle for nothing than trade weber for a second. We will need this guy in the futur!

holyhabs

Jun 9, 2007
How about we bench Kaberle and play le jeune vebaire? That seems smarter than trading him. At least boost his value by showcasing him.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Having seen Kaberle play last year and the three games this year, i don't believe Therrien & the management staff are preferring him to Weber.

Although on the defensive side Weber is no Weber (Shea) he is heads and shoulders above Kaberle and offensively he has a wicked shot from the point. All Kaberle has offensively is a.........short stick....as Pierre McGuire would put it.

I suspect - maybe I'm just hoping - that they're shopping Kaberle.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Way too many injury prone guys on the current blueline to trade any D-man at this point (Markov, Gorges, Diaz, Bouillon have all had lengthy injury stints in the last 2 seasons), unless it's dumping Kaberle. The kids in HAM are not ready. Weber will get his chance.

I would TOTALLY move Kaberle instead....but who's desperate that much? Wings? While for Weber, it's all about a trade to give a kid a chance to have a career. Most logical of that happening. Clearly for depth though, without Weber means that only 1 injury means St-Denis or Tinordi to be called up. That's thin.

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC

Agreed. I'd rather we not trade him. Not yet.

Imo in terms of “â€NHL readinessâ€, Tinordi and Saint-Denis are ahead of him in the depth chart so, from my point of view, we are chatting about our 10th best D. Weber is no crap but if our 10th best D can fetch us a 3rd round pick in 2013, I say go for it.

Weber has played over 100 games in the NHL and is one of the best defenseman from his country. He has played in the Olympics, the World Championships, has posted some good stats in the AHL... I have no idea how Tinordi and St-Denis are more "NHL-ready" than he is. That makes no sense.

Weber is--as he should be--ahead of Tinordi and St-Denis. They could've sent him down instead of St-Denis at the begining of the season and they didn't. They both had to clear waiver but the Canadiens decided Weber was more valuable to the team.

He will get his chance eventually this season.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
I would not shop Kristo. I saw him play and he is by far our best offensive prospect that is not in the AHL right now. In my mind he is right behind Agally and Bgally. He has crazy speed and has a deadly shot. I would shop Leblanc+ Weber though.

The reason I personally target Kristo is because he has better upside as you pointed out and his small stature. With Gionta (even if we don't retain at end of contract), DD and BG we don't want to overstock on small players.

Kristo may be deemed of better interest than Leblanc. And with the target of getting a higher draft pick or higher valued prospect you need to have proper balance in your offer. Kristo brings just that.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven

I don't think we can rely on Kaberle for the rest of the year and next year. I'm not sure Beaulieu or Tinordi will fill the void as soon as 2013-14 so I wouldn't trade Weber just yet.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

I am using my 2nd NHL hockey wish! My first one, Chuck playing center, came true! Here it is... I want to see a line of Kristo, Chuck, and Gally. At the very least, make them all live at Gionta's house for a year :laugh: We have some great youth in our system :yo:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
He might have to play tomorrow anyway since Kaberle left practice after getting, I think, a puck in the face.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

If Tinordi and St.Denis were more ready they'd already be in the NHL.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
We should never have signed Bouillon, and should have signed Subban by now. Instead we will trade a player with potential in Weber and prefer playing Bouillon on the 2nd PP unit. What sense does this make? More and more MB is giving me cause to doubt.

Bouillion btings grit and Weber brings offensive limp spaghetti.
They both have something different to offer.
Having signed Subban I don't think would've meant we wouldn't have signed the cube.
As for weber, it's either him or kaberle at the moment, only time and the signing of subban will tell how that plays out.

But, If it were up to me weber and kaberle would be dealt to bring in a more robust, gritty stay at home type Dman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad