Ottawa 67's 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
67's announced signing of RW Ethan Quick today, as well.
Geez getting crowded at forward. They must really feel he's got a good shot to make the team if they signed him. Had a good year in tier 2 and he's a bigger kid so as we need size up front hopefully he fits in.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Geez getting crowded at forward. They must really feel he's got a good shot to make the team if they signed him. Had a good year in tier 2 and he's a bigger kid so as we need size up front hopefully he fits in.
cut laforme and reasign kelly to cchl. i think dever may need time as well, he was cut from pickering jr a half way through the year. if you guys can add some c depth theres alot to like there. not sure on the goalies but thats half the league

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I’m not going to go as far as to say if Barlas isn’t a 3rd liner he is gone. I think the choice the 67s are facing right now with him is whether he is strong enough to play centre or whether he should move to the wing. That said, to me, he is the prime trade candidate if he isn’t playing at least 3rd line. One of those “here’s our inderachiever. Now you give me your underachiever” Type of trade is probably on the horizon. I still do have faith he can contribute kn the wing and I think if he is unable to settle in at centre, he will get a chance on the wing.

I think the depth chart is probably off a bit. Pinelli is definitely ahead of TJ. Gerrior may also be ahead of him right now. But, I do think TJ will get 3rd line minutes at least to start the season. He needs to prove he is healthy.

I don’t see Dever on the roster at this point but will depend on player movement. The 67s will likely add an OA forward, preferably a centre. That will shift the depth chart around and push Dever likely off the roster.

Foster is definitely on the depth chart. I think he sits beside Barlas as 3rd line to start, even if playing an off wing position. He showed enough last year and his stellar performance with the Thunderbirds puts him in the Jack Quinn territory as a 17 year old rookie coming off a great season at tier II.
I agree that we could see Barlas moved to the wing BUT I still believe that if he is not getting at least 3rd line time that his parents and agent are going to ask for a trade. Like you said it could be an underachiever swap or it could be in a package for an OA or 19 year old center that could include a D and picks

As to TJ Yeah there is some concern. Pinelli may push him out.

The issue is that there are a lot of young guns that are going to be gunning for 3rd and 4th line minutes and someone is going away.

With Quick being signed if I was Laforme I would either be working hard on my game or looking at the Q or at the CJHL

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree that we could see Barlas moved to the wing BUT I still believe that if he is not getting at least 3rd line time that his parents and agent are going to ask for a trade. Like you said it could be an underachiever swap or it could be in a package for an OA or 19 year old center that could include a D and picks

As to TJ Yeah there is some concern. Pinelli may push him out.

The issue is that there are a lot of young guns that are going to be gunning for 3rd and 4th line minutes and someone is going away.

With Quick being signed if I was Laforme I would either be working hard on my game or looking at the Q or at the CJHL

The reality is Pinelli has passed TJ. That really is not in question. The question is line combos and chemistry etc. As of right now, we have Rohrer and Tolnai as the top 2 centres with a wide gap after that. If they add another centre between those two then I wouldn’t necessarily say there is a 2nd and 3rd line…probably more like 2A and 2B.

If Barlas is traded, it would be for picks or underachiever for underachiever. I can’t see him being any sort of centrepiece for a key forward. If he isn’t able to nail down a role in Ottawa, his value will be in the toilet.

I think Laforme is done. But, we need to progress through training camp. You know as well as I do that some players come in at 17 and 18 and surprise and earn a role unexpectedly. I’m not thinking that will happen with Laforme but I can’t shut the door on it entirely either. Same with Barlas. Not likely but he will get full opportunity, an opportunity that Laforme may not get.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

He automatically gets a development card and won’t likley get a roster card unless he actually makes the team. If he doesn’t plan to go NCAA then there is no reason not to sign with Ottawa. If he can find a way to get some games in at Christmas etc, then he can still cash in on some scholarship coin.

EDIT: Plus we do face some significant graduation after this season. There may be a handful of open spots available next year as well.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The reality is Pinelli has passed TJ. That really is not in question. The question is line combos and chemistry etc. As of right now, we have Rohrer and Tolnai as the top 2 centres with a wide gap after that. If they add another centre between those two then I wouldn’t necessarily say there is a 2nd and 3rd line…probably more like 2A and 2B.

If Barlas is traded, it would be for picks or underachiever for underachiever. I can’t see him being any sort of centrepiece for a key forward. If he isn’t able to nail down a role in Ottawa, his value will be in the toilet.

I think Laforme is done. But, we need to progress through training camp. You know as well as I do that some players come in at 17 and 18 and surprise and earn a role unexpectedly. I’m not thinking that will happen with Laforme but I can’t shut the door on it entirely either. Same with Barlas. Not likely but he will get full opportunity, an opportunity that Laforme may not get.
I agree that Barlas would not be a centrepiece but he could be a part of a trade with one of the D as the centrepiece
I agree it would be nice to see Laforme come in and be a competitive C in camp but agree he may not have it. I keep thinking Tudin but not sure he has it.

Interesting fact Karpas has not signed with Detroit yet so they can suggest but until they sign him he is his own man

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree that Barlas would not be a centrepiece but he could be a part of a trade with one of the D as the centrepiece
I agree it would be nice to see Laforme come in and be a competitive C in camp but agree he may not have it. I keep thinking Tudin but not sure he has it.

Interesting fact Karpas has not signed with Detroit yet so they can suggest but until they sign him he is his own man

If Barlas has relatively little value, there is no sense trading him. It makes more sense to give him another full season.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

he signed a bit ago

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
My opinion is the 67’s had an agreement with the Senators that if they drafted him, the Sens would assign him to the 67’s. There was clearly no guarantee the Sens would draft Kaspar but the 67’s probably rolled the dice because he is an impact player and worth the risk.

At this point, with other Detroit players/prospects cutting their teeth with Rogle in the past, it is likely he will be in Rogle. At this point I would be surprised if he ended up in Ottawa.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
If Barlas has relatively little value, there is no sense trading him. It makes more sense to give him another full season.

I agree if it is up to the 67 it might be keep but I think that parents and agent will want him moved if he is not getting what they consider good ice time.

he signed a bit ago
My mistake I thought he would be a roster player but capfriendly has him as non roster.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree if it is up to the 67 it might be keep but I think that parents and agent will want him moved if he is not getting what they consider good ice time.

My mistake I thought he would be a roster player but capfriendly has him as non roster.

He’d need to sit out to force their hand though. I don’t see that happening. He’s an Ottawa boy and playing at home still means something.

What I see happening is both sides agree that they will each do their best to work things out on the ice. Barlas would need to keep up his end of the bargain. If he doesn’t and he sulks or sits out, they won’t get value for him so it is more likely he simply sits out and nothing happens.

I think cart is in front of horse though. I have this feeling that he will come to camp fresh this season, maybe even a little bigger and with more confidence. I don’t think he will force his way into a top 6 role but I think he will push really hard for a 3rd line role. I think he has the tools. Whether it is at centre remains to be seen though. I think his game is better suited along the boards. HE has that chippy in him.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Soooooo… has anyone heard anything about Kasper?

All reports have him playing in Rogle. They like the progression made by Seider playing in Rogle before his jump to the NHL last year. Also, Lucas Raymond played a couple season in the SWedish Elite with Frolunda and he’s turned out well. William Wallinder is also another highly rated Detroit prospect and he’s playing in Rogle as well. I think the Red Wings are heavily leaning towards continuing Kasper’s development in Rogle.

HOWEVER, if he were to play in Ottawa, he’d get 20+ minutes per game in all situation and would be playing with two other solid NHL prospects on his wings (Beck and either Boucher or Rohrer). He may be a lot lower on the depth chart in Rogle. I think it will depend on how quick they want to develop him. If he stays in Rogle, I think he is there for two more seasons. If he comes to the 67’s, he’d likely play one year in Ottawa and then next year in GrandRapids. So, Detroit still has a decision. But, Yzerman has stated he thinks hes going back to Rogle. I think his training camp in Detroit will tell the tail.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Well Yzerman has played in the OHL and has seen first hand the overall development process. I believe the North American style of play would be a faster track towards an NHL career for Kasper. Maybe Rogle will commit to letting Kasper play extended minutes and Yzerman is fine with this. Either way he will do what he thinks is best for the player.

Kasper would have been a nice addition to the 67s but it does not look promising.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Well Yzerman has played in the OHL and has seen first hand the overall development process. I believe the North American style of play would be a faster track towards an NHL career for Kasper. Maybe Rogle will commit to letting Kasper play extended minutes and Yzerman is fine with this. Either way he will do what he thinks is best for the player.

Kasper would have been a nice addition to the 67s but it does not look promising.
I’m sure there are varying opinions, but the top leagues rank as; NHL, KHL, AHL, SHL, …Kasper is probably better off playing in the SHL until ready for ‘North American style of play’ in the AHL.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

But he played in Peterborough so you have to assume he hated every second of it...

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

There are advantages and disadvantages of playing CHL vs Pro hockey in Europe. Both avenues have a proven track record of developing talent. However, most high rated European players that step into the NHL come direct from Europe. The Import program in the CHL does help the CHL teams from the perspective of additional talent infusion but I am not too sure the CHL gets the top talent available from Europe. We tend to get a spattering of players here and there of high quality NHL prospect calibre but really we mostly get average to quality CHL Level players that play at this level in a moderately competitive way and then they end up back in Europe after their Junior Career is over.

Although I personally feel that Kasper would be better suited playing in Ottawa 22 minutes per game in all situations on a smaller ice surface while continuing to develop his 200’ game, it is unlikely to happen. I think if he were to play here one season and AHL next season, he’d probably step into the NHL better positioned to make an impact. But, it is more likley he plays two seasons in Rogle and comes over after that.

I believe Ottawa will acquire an impact Import at the deadline. If there is an Impact OA Import that plays centre and is willing to play an OA season, maybe Ottawa would use both of those roster spots on one player. If that were to happen, it would be more likely to happen at the commencement of the season.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I really did not mind Gaidamak and he did chip in with 16g and 17a for 33 pts . He did taper off near the end of the season but was playing lower in the lineup. He may have adjusted better to the North American game this season as it would of been his second season. The 4th round pick we received does not usually contribute much to the team's performance..

Kasper would have been great but I now think it is a very remote possibility that he appears.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The best thing to do with Kasper is write him off as a 67 and plan to play without him. If he shows up then that is a bonus.
The big difference between the SHL and OHL is the size of the players and possibly the skill level. In the SHL he will be playing against men while in the OHL he would be playing against players mostly lower in skill level than him.

As to the players that CHL teams get I think if you look at us we have done pretty well. The trick is to draft the 16 17-year-olds that are draft eligible in a couple of years.

Gaidamak was an outstanding player but got caught in the covid season.

As to the CHL developing players ir really depends on the teams that we are talking about as there are teams that the coaches have no clue how to develop talent. Look at the discussion about Wright as the biggest indicator.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Gaidamak had a horrid second half Last season. He had 2 goals and 10 assists in 33 games after the calendar flipped to January 2022. That is horrific. Meanwhile he had 21 points in 27 games during the first half. He had one assist in the playoffs.

This is not a player (19 years old) that you keep When you have a relatively high draft pick you can use to replace him. You have to head to the plate and take a swing. We were lucky to get a 4th round pick for him to be honest.

Ottawa will have an opportunity to replace him with a draft pick sometime during the season. It shouldn’t be a big deal. Even if the chances were 10% you could get Kasper plus pocket a 4th round pick in the process, you do it.

For the record, Gill-Shane and Mayich are both 4th round picks. Corey Locke was also a 4th rounder. It is a popular pick the 67’s use on NCAA Bound players as well. It’s a solid pick to have in your pocket to roll the dice with. Even though the players most likley to play regular minutes are typically top 3 picks, each team usually graduates 4-5 players annually. Those players typically come fromt he OHL Priority Selection which means your 4th round pick usually nets you a roster player if you use it that way.

Reactions: beastintheeast

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
But he played in Peterborough so you have to assume he hated every second of it...
Why are you so negative about the Petes? The Petes have had a lot of success in their 66 year history including nine OHA/OHL Championships. When Steve Yzerman played for the Petes, Dick Todd was coaching the team and he was regarded as one of the best coaches in the league at the time.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Why are you so negative about the Petes? The Petes have had a lot of success in their 66 year history including nine OHA/OHL Championships. When Steve Yzerman played for the Petes, Dick Todd was coaching the team and he was regarded as one of the best coaches in the league at the time.

Relax. It was a joke. It goes way back to the old days when the fights broke out in the stands when those teams played. It is like Canadiens Fans poking fun at Leafs Fans….and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad