Ottawa 67's 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Jesus. The question was “the last” true power forward. I named a few just before the one I settled on but now we are naming all power forwards in 67’s history! LOL.

If we are going to go down that road, how about we do an ALL-67’s first and second team All-Star squad?

The stipulation would be the players had to play for the 67’s as either ONLY 67’s or the team traded for them at a younger age and they played at least two full season with the team. In other words, the 67’s developed them either through their own draft pick or through a trade before they were stars….no deadline acquisitions!

The second stipulation is you can only use players from when you were a 67’s fan! That makes it even more interesting. My first year following the 67’s was 92-93. I am only able to pick players on that team forward.

I will give it some thought and post something tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how the teams are compiled considering the starting years for some!
Ok here it goes, for reference I started following the poles in 98-99. I also tried to stick with their contributions to the 67's not what they did after junior.

First team: goalie - Battochio
Left D- Campbell
Right D- Boynton
Center-Rossi
Right W-Toffoli
Left W- Quinn

Second team:goalie-Mrazek
Left D- Bahl
Right D- Ceci
Center-Locke
Right W- Foy
Left W- Prince

HM and hard to leave out: Couture, Tessier, Monaghan, Keating, Zultek,, Hoefenmayer, Andree,B. Bell

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Just saw the Petes acquired Conor Lockhart from erie for Alfano, a second and a third. He would have fitted in well as our second line center as a 19y.o with 48 pts last year on a weak team. And an Ottawa kid to booth. We certainly had the ammo to outbid the Petes! Hopefully Boyd has a plan but there haven't been any moves this summer to improve the team compared to the Petes and Niagara ( although I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve).

He was a 3rd overall pick ahead of Brandt Clarke and Mason MacTavish. I know both of those players may have had some reporting issues but you gotta hate how the OHL operates in that regard.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
He's not a centre. Only 58 faceoffs in 64 games last year
He is a centre.

Lockhart played less centre and took less face-offs last season because they needed him to play RW.
They only had one RW listed on the roster page and only 6 RH shots in total.
He actually took over 300 face-offs as a rookie in 2019-2020.

I expect Lockhart to play centre for the Petes on the 2nd line between Avon and Stillman.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I’m going against my own rules! I am doing three lines! Such a rebel….

McGinn - McCauley - Toffoli
Keating - Locke - Quinn
Felhaber - Rossi - Galbraith

Boynton - Campbell
Ceci - Blanchard
Hoefenmeyer - Bahl

Mrazek
Andree
Battochio

NOTE: A lot of really quality centres left off the list. Even ones that have had outstanding NHL Careers or are currently in the middle of their NHL Careers.

The one thing I noticed was it is crazy when you look back at all the players and how impactful they are at Junior from a perspective of position. Almost all impactful players play out of the centre position. ?Not that many impactful Major Junior level wingers by comparison.

The other area for Ottawa that is interesting is the lack of impact D-Men overall. It really points heavily toward how few and far between bonafide #1 D-Men are. And when you look at the best Ottawa teams, they likely had two pillars of some kind on the back end. The ‘99 team had three Plus rookies in Sellers and VanHoof! And the ‘97 team which I have as the best Ottawa 67’s team in my time had 3 of the top 4 D-Men on my list. That really says something, especially when two of those D-Men won League awards at one point in their career.

Alyn McCauley takes the overall award for MVP of that roster above. He was a phenomenal catalyst for the 67’s. Two league MVP’s back to back. That doesn’t happen often, if ever. A 200 foot player at centre ice that could score. I loosely remember him having a 10 point game….or around that anyway. Not winning the Champoinship in ‘97 falls on Kilrea for not adding a piece to that team to put them over the top. Such a solid group of hockey players.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
The second stipulation is you can only use players from when you were a 67’s fan! That makes it even more interesting. My first year following the 67’s was 92-93. I am only able to pick players on that team forward.
Guess, I can go back to the 70's then......

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
No fair OMG! You just needed a way to get Lance on there...lol

Another note regarding that list I provided is that even though there were players that graduated to the NHL, not many had what you would consider a stellar NHL career. Clearly Brian Campbell would be the one with the most prolific career of the bunch but it is not like he is Hall of fame material.

I guess my point is that you don’t need to be prime NHL prospect material to have a massive impact on your OHL Club team. It isn’t about going out there and acquiring the Mason MacTavish’s of the league that makes all the difference. You can go out there and acquire the 3rd round NHL pick with less of a sexy resume and still achieve massive gains at a lessor cost of acquisition. Sure, a MacTavish type player is more of a “money in the bank” type player but that doesn’t mean a heck of a lot in the grand scheme of things.

The other lesson from doing this exercise is I am looking at our defence this season much differently. I still did look at this defence needing that true #1 guy but it is much more apparent now that it isn’t jsut needed, it is required if we truly want to compete at the highest level this year, maybe even more so than the centre.

Guess, I can go back to the 70's then......
I dare you!

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Okay, so here goes. There is A LOT of players that could well be on the list. I started going regularly to the games with my father when I was 10. Then later on in my twenties I was probably going to all the games, but as a walk up. I've been a STH since 1987. There have been a lot of players go through the Civic Centre in that time frame!

Picking players that meant most to the 67's not necessarily NHL star power. I did not go 3 right / 3 left defense.

Peter Lee - Bobby Smith - Yvon Joly
Austen Keating - Brett Seguin - Jimmy Fox
Tye Felhaber - Andrew Cassels - Don McLaren

Denis Potvin - Doug Wilson
Bruce Cassidy - Brad Shaw
Sean Blanchard - Nick Boynton

Bunny Larocque
Jim Ralph
Petr Mrazek

And picking my Allstar 'work my b*lls off' line.

Dan Tudin - Dan Tessier - Thomas Nesbitt
Jeff Riccardi - Ed Hospodar
Cedrik Andree

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Okay, so here goes. There is A LOT of players that could well be on the list. I started going regularly to the games with my father when I was 10. Then later on in my twenties I was probably going to all the games, but as a walk up. I've been a STH since 1987. There have been a lot of players go through the Civic Centre in that time frame!

Picking players that meant most to the 67's not necessarily NHL star power. I did not go 3 right / 3 left defense.

Peter Lee - Bobby Smith - Yvon Joly
Austen Keating - Brett Seguin - Jimmy Fox
Tye Felhaber - Andrew Cassels - Don McLaren

Denis Potvin - Doug Wilson
Bruce Cassidy - Brad Shaw
Sean Blanchard - Nick Boynton

Bunny Larocque
Jim Ralph
Petr Mrazek

And picking my Allstar 'work my b*lls off' line.

Dan Tudin - Dan Tessier - Thomas Nesbitt
Jeff Riccardi - Ed Hospodar
Cedrik Andree
Love the “work my balls off” line up. I was trying to find a way to slip Joel Trottier in there and maybe that would be a good way.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
My favorite line in the 67's and it was a one time only line was Hospodar Clouthier and Geiger in 77.

They did not even get a faceoff before the fight started in Kingston.

Those were the true days of being a fan. Kingston sent bus loads and Ottawa did the same to away games.

Peter Lee and I used to talk about those days the hate that existed between the 2 teams.

Kingston sent out only 1 forward Mike Simurda who was not known for his faceoff or scoring ability

This was also the team that had Crombeen Tony McKegney and a young quiet believer in true sportsmanship named Kenny Linsemen.

NoQuit67s

Feb 10, 2020
My top nine forwards (regardless of position):

Corey Locke - Matt Foy
Marco Rossi
Alyn McCauley
Lance Galbraith
Jeff Vaive
Tye Felhaber
Tyler Toffoli
Logan Couture

Top six D

Brian Campbell - Nick Boynton
Cody Ceci
Brendan Bell
Bruce Cassidy
Noel Hofenmeyer

Danny Battachio
Seamus Kotyk
Ceddrick Andrée

That season with Locke and Foy was pretty fun to watch. Those two were almost better without a third forward, they scored so many shorties! Too bad Foy was banged up in the playoffs, or else we would have given London a better fight.

I do remember seeing Bobby Smith the very first game I attended (versus Gretzky and SSM), but that was probably doesn't qualify for me to include him on my list :)

Guy In Burlington

Mar 17, 2022
Folks…sorry for the topic switch, but does anybody know when the 67s will start selling single game tickets? I’m looking for four for Oct 2 vs. Erie.

RCN83

Oct 1, 2019
My top nine forwards (regardless of position):

Corey Locke - Matt Foy
Marco Rossi
Alyn McCauley
Lance Galbraith
Jeff Vaive
Tye Felhaber
Tyler Toffoli
Logan Couture

Top six D

Brian Campbell - Nick Boynton
Cody Ceci
Brendan Bell
Bruce Cassidy
Noel Hofenmeyer

Danny Battachio
Seamus Kotyk
Ceddrick Andrée

That season with Locke and Foy was pretty fun to watch. Those two were almost better without a third forward, they scored so many shorties! Too bad Foy was banged up in the playoffs, or else we would have given London a better fight.

I do remember seeing Bobby Smith the very first game I attended (versus Gretzky and SSM), but that was probably doesn't qualify for me to include him on my list :)
Not to quibble, but despite Locke and Foy combining for 124G and 159A, and undoubtedly the best offensive duo (line) in the CHL that season, the 67s were bested 100-98 pts in the regular season and lost 4-1 in the Finals to the Kitchener Rangers (who won the Memorial Cup topping the 'Piques in the finale) who were lead by an impressive dup of their own, Rockland-born Derek Roy and Mike Richards amongst others and coached by Pete DeBoer. Sadly after taking the first game in OT, the 67s dropped four in a row including two more OT thrillers.

Reactions: NoQuit67s

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Folks…sorry for the topic switch, but does anybody know when the 67s will start selling single game tickets? I’m looking for four for Oct 2 vs. Erie.

It shouldn’t matter. Loads of tickets available right up to game time. So, you can probably just go online at ottawa67s.com leading up to the pre-season and buy them then.

Reactions: Guy In Burlington

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It shouldn’t matter. Loads of tickets available right up to game time. So, you can probably just go online at ottawa67s.com leading up to the pre-season and buy them then.
Unless there the 67s have signed an all-star team that is guaranteed to win every game and are giving away free beer and dogs. There is not much of a chance that there will not be good seats available. The arena is huge and there is always good seat avail.

If you are looking for a specific area like behind the visiting team bench then yeah you might have a challenge.

What I would suggest is contact the team by email and ask when they will have singles avail to purchase and what they will have in the area you are looking for.

But again if you are just looking to a good seat I would not worry lots are avail.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
We’ll have to wait to see the actual Training camp roster to get a sense of what we could see. I doubt we will see any names on the Exhibition List other than the ones here (barring a trade), but you never know if someone crawls out of the woodwork somewhere.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Beck Rohrer Boucher

Johnston Tolnai Stonehouse

Pinelli Gardiner Dever

Gerrior Barlas Kelly

Foster Laforme(could be a sleeper if he upped his game in the off-season)

If Barlas is not at least the 3rd line center he is gone

Boucher is an unknown I understand that he somehow can play in Belleville

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Beck Rohrer Boucher

Johnston Tolnai Stonehouse

Pinelli Gardiner Dever

Gerrior Barlas Kelly

Foster Laforme(could be a sleeper if he upped his game in the off-season)

If Barlas is not at least the 3rd line center he is gone

Boucher is an unknown I understand that he somehow can play in Belleville

I’m not going to go as far as to say if Barlas isn’t a 3rd liner he is gone. I think the choice the 67s are facing right now with him is whether he is strong enough to play centre or whether he should move to the wing. That said, to me, he is the prime trade candidate if he isn’t playing at least 3rd line. One of those “here’s our inderachiever. Now you give me your underachiever” Type of trade is probably on the horizon. I still do have faith he can contribute kn the wing and I think if he is unable to settle in at centre, he will get a chance on the wing.

I think the depth chart is probably off a bit. Pinelli is definitely ahead of TJ. Gerrior may also be ahead of him right now. But, I do think TJ will get 3rd line minutes at least to start the season. He needs to prove he is healthy.

I don’t see Dever on the roster at this point but will depend on player movement. The 67s will likely add an OA forward, preferably a centre. That will shift the depth chart around and push Dever likely off the roster.

Foster is definitely on the depth chart. I think he sits beside Barlas as 3rd line to start, even if playing an off wing position. He showed enough last year and his stellar performance with the Thunderbirds puts him in the Jack Quinn territory as a 17 year old rookie coming off a great season at tier II.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad