Ottawa 67's 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Why are you so negative about the Petes? The Petes have had a lot of success in their 66 year history including nine OHA/OHL Championships. When Steve Yzerman played for the Petes, Dick Todd was coaching the team and he was regarded as one of the best coaches in the league at the time.
L. O. L.

come on dude

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Relax. It was a joke. It goes way back to the old days when the fights broke out in the stands when those teams played. It is like Canadiens Fans poking fun at Leafs Fans….and vice versa.
There is so much that the younger generations missed.

Kingston -Ottawa was one huge fight. forget about the hockey although it was pretty good.

Ottawa Oshawa with the fans. Man going into the old arena in Oshawa was fun
In the 90's it was the Petes and 67's Bulls and 67's
London had some great rivalries I am sure but it is the older teams that enjoyed that. Fan buses going to every road game.
You took your chance by wearing your team's colours in an arena.

Teams actually sold out arenas when the other team came to town.

M Center was awesome when it was a Canadians - 67's match. Everyone was so close and the funny thing is we did not need beer to be rowdy.

Going to a game was like going to visit friends no matter what arena.

You would never go to hull wearing red white and black and expect to leave quietly.

Mav and Killer were best friends but you would never know it by the teams on the ice.

In the 90's there was a bit of competition but it had died down or we had gotten older.

Times change rules change and the game has changed.

When was the last time Ottawa had a Freddie O on the team?

When was the last time w saw a LInger? Lance was close but not quite the scoring threat.

It again was a great time to be a fan.

The '90s was a great time to be a raccoon. The rules were looser and you could have fun.

Riley would never get close to his ways now it is too PC at arenas.

OH I almost forgot the biggest question of the mid 90's Who was better

Savard or MacAuley.

I still say Alyn

Gens fan what do you think.

Reactions: three dog night

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Hands down, Alyn McCauley was a better player. Savaged was a prolific scorer but McCauley played a 200 foot game. He is, in my opinion, the best Ottawa 67 of the last 30 years.

Two MVP’s.

Savard never even got a Team Canada nod. Reason? All offence and lazy defence.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Hands down, Alyn McCauley was a better player. Savaged was a prolific scorer but McCauley played a 200 foot game. He is, in my opinion, the best Ottawa 67 of the last 30 years.

Two MVP’s.

Savard never even got a Team Canada nod. Reason? All offence and lazy defence.
Yeah but of course Gen fans had other ideas LOL

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
here is how i could see it going

LWCRWLDRDG
BeckTolnaiBoucherMayichMatierM. Costantini
PinelliRohrerStonehouseSawyerA. CostantiniDonoso
GerriorBarlasGardinerSirmanGill-ShaneMacKenzie
JohnstonFosterDeverMarrelliMews
LaformeQuickEwles
Kelly

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
here is how i could see it going

LWCRWLDRDG
BeckTolnaiBoucherMayichMatierM. Costantini
PinelliRohrerStonehouseSawyerA. CostantiniDonoso
GerriorBarlasGardinerSirmanGill-ShaneMacKenzie
JohnstonFosterDeverMarrelliMews
LaformeQuickEwles
Kelly
Donoso is as just about as good as Constantini and wont use an OA tag. That trade wouldnt make a ton of sense

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Donoso is the starting goalie, It is his to lose

Agreed. He may not have held the net very long but he held it when the team was in the shitter and he came out of it with a winning record and solid numbers considering.

I think he deserves the opportunity to start with it and run with it. The only way they go out and snag another starting calibre goalie is if it is an Andree/DiPietro situation where the team is poised to push for a Championship and they want an experienced stud of that calibre in their net. Either that or Donoso shits the bed and MacKenzie is not proving to be any better Which leaves them no choice but to upgrade.

I dont’ see wither of those situations as likley.

If we are trying to reunite brothers in Ottawa, I can see Francesco Pinelli being traded for. If Kitchener doesn’t piece together the team they are looking to sign then he could become available. He’d address a lot of our needs for sure.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah but of course Gen fans had other ideas LOL

That is fine but arguing otherwise is just silly. I can’t see anyone making a reasonable argument that Savard was a better “hockey player.” In the two seasons that McCauley won the MVP, he scored a combined 90 goals. Savard had 71. Savard had 130 points in his final season and McCauley had only 113. But, McCauley played with Team Canada and missed 14 games. At over a two point per game average, that puts McCauley over 140 points assuming he scored at the same pace For the 14 games he missed.

So, not only was Alyn McCauley a far superior two way Centre but he scored more goals and generated more total offence from a points per game perspective.

I know there are a lot more recent 67’s fans that didn’t experience Alyn McCauley and point to Corey Locke but McCauley was head and shoulders above Corey Locke. Far more effective player overall. If not for his Concussion history, IMO he’d have won a Selke trophy at some point in his NHL career. That really bad concussion in his second season with the Leafs was pretty much the end of a promising career. He still managed to scratch out 488 NHL games but he was never the same after that bad concussion. Too bad really.

McCauley is the best Ottawa 67’s player over the past 30 seasons and I don’t really think there is a doubt. A lot of good players since 1992 but I challenge anyone to pick one that was better AS A 67. Some obviously had better NHL careers. We’ve had many Trophy winners since. Corey Locke won the Tilson back to back as well. But, I just can’t see anyone in their right mind not having McCauley above Locke.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
That is fine but arguing otherwise is just silly. I can’t see anyone making a reasonable argument that Savard was a better “hockey

Who ever said Gen's fans were ever in their right mind?

This was actually an ongoing battle that I had with a true Gens fan back in the day.
OMG you have missed one point you are trying to use logic in something that defies logic. Fan loyalty.

Just for the record, Alyn had already had, I believe 4 concussions before he went pro.

You are right though the final nail in the coffin was the big hit that he took in Toronto.

That is why I can not believe that the Laffs made the deal they did for Murray and are putting so much faith in him. One slapshot in the mask could end his season

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
That is fine but arguing otherwise is just silly. I can’t see anyone making a reasonable argument that Savard was a better “hockey player.” In the two seasons that McCauley won the MVP, he scored a combined 90 goals. Savard had 71. Savard had 130 points in his final season and McCauley had only 113. But, McCauley played with Team Canada and missed 14 games. At over a two point per game average, that puts McCauley over 140 points assuming he scored at the same pace For the 14 games he missed.

So, not only was Alyn McCauley a far superior two way Centre but he scored more goals and generated more total offence from a points per game perspective.

I know there are a lot more recent 67’s fans that didn’t experience Alyn McCauley and point to Corey Locke but McCauley was head and shoulders above Corey Locke. Far more effective player overall. If not for his Concussion history, IMO he’d have won a Selke trophy at some point in his NHL career. That really bad concussion in his second season with the Leafs was pretty much the end of a promising career. He still managed to scratch out 488 NHL games but he was never the same after that bad concussion. Too bad really.

McCauley is the best Ottawa 67’s player over the past 30 seasons and I don’t really think there is a doubt. A lot of good players since 1992 but I challenge anyone to pick one that was better AS A 67. Some obviously had better NHL careers. We’ve had many Trophy winners since. Corey Locke won the Tilson back to back as well. But, I just can’t see anyone in their right mind not having McCauley above Locke.
I unfortunatly didn't see Mcauley but what about Rossi OMG? Look at what he did as a 17/18 y.o. and he missed a portion of his first year. He was also a great 2 way player. Can you imagine what he would have done as a 19 y.o.?

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Mike Peca who came to Ottawa in 91-92 had an impressive career as a 67. He also went on to win a couple of Selke trophies. I am not picking him or McCauley as the better player, just saying he has to be considered..

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I unfortunatly didn't see Mcauley but what about Rossi OMG? Look at what he did as a 17/18 y.o. and he missed a portion of his first year. He was also a great 2 way player. Can you imagine what he would have done as a 19 y.o.?
Rossi did not have the skills of Alin. Yes he was good but he also had some pretty outstanding layers to play with. Alyn on the other hand made the players that he played with better although they were not NHL quality.
Alyn was also a major presence in the dressing room and on the bench.

Rossi played here a year and half Alyn came through here the year this team sucked and grew. Except for concussions that he at times hid from trainers and Killer he played no matter what.
Peca was good and would be my number 2 choice but again he played with players that had skills. In Ottawa was more of an offensive force. I don't know much but I do not think that he was a leader in the dressing room.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Corey Locke had back to back Tilson Trophies. I’d put him ahead of Rossi.

That said, I do understand where you are coming from. Rossi as a 19 year old would have been an interesting season to watch but he never played that season in Ottawa so it is what it is.

But I will reiterate where Beast is coming from. McCauley had Joel Trottier and Steve Zoryk as wingers. No disrespect to those two. They were solid junior players but neither of those guys ever had more than a cup of coffee in the AHL.

I think that ‘97 team lost only 11 games. From that team there were only 4 NHLers. Mark Bell was a 16 year old. Boynton and Campbell were 17 year olds so they weren’t even part of the leadership group. That team was Alyn McCauley.

Sean Blanchard also won the Kaminsky as best D-Man so I don’t want to take anything away from his season. He was outstanding that year as well.

All that is to say, McCauley was an unreal player because he was so effective at both ends as well as in the face off circle. Great leader. No attitude issues. Very low key outside the room and off the ice. We’ve not seen as complete a player since.

Reactions: sirius67fan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Mike Peca was a solid player but he was also a leader on a team that finished last overall and was Killer’s only missed playoff. That placing led to McCauley being picked first overall the following season.

We also conveniently forget about how good Brett Seguin was. He falls just outside the 30 years mark but he had over 400 points over 4 seasons. He was just ever so slightly before my time. I started following the team most closely during their missed playoff year.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Corey Locke had back to back Tilson Trophies. I’d put him ahead of Rossi.

That said, I do understand where you are coming from. Rossi as a 19 year old would have been an interesting season to watch but he never played that season in Ottawa so it is what it is.

But I will reiterate where Beast is coming from. McCauley had Joel Trottier and Steve Zoryk as wingers. No disrespect to those two. They were solid junior players but neither of those guys ever had more than a cup of coffee in the AHL.

I think that ‘97 team lost only 11 games. From that team there were only 4 NHLers. Mark Bell was a 16 year old. Boynton and Campbell were 17 year olds so they weren’t even part of the leadership group. That team was Alyn McCauley.

Sean Blanchard also won the Kaminsky as best D-Man so I don’t want to take anything away from his season. He was outstanding that year as well.

All that is to say, McCauley was an unreal player because he was so effective at both ends as well as in the face off circle. Great leader. No attitude issues. Very low key outside the room and off the ice. We’ve not seen as complete a player since.
Well I do have to defer to you and Beast as I didn't see Mccauley. Good point from Beast as Rossi did have a solid supporting cast. Just difficult for me to picture somebody better than Rossi as a 67, so Mcauley must have been something. Fwiw though I still put Rossi over Locke personally.

Last edited:

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Mike Peca was a solid player but he was also a leader on a team that finished last overall and was Killer’s only missed playoff. That placing led to McCauley being picked first overall the following season.

We also conveniently forget about how good Brett Seguin was. He falls just outside the 30 years mark but he had over 400 points over 4 seasons. He was just ever so slightly before my time. I started following the team most closely during their missed playoff year.
Well Mike Peca must of had to work hard to get the point totals he did on a last overall team. It was not his fault that their was no supporting cast. Anyways the 67s have been blessed with some great players like Peca, McCauley, Simpson, Locke, Cassels, etc. .

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well Mike Peca must of had to work hard to get the point totals he did on a last overall team. It was not his fault that their was no supporting cast. Anyways the 67s have been blessed with some great players like Peca, McCauley, Simpson, Locke, Cassels, etc. .

They went to the semi‘s the following season from missing the playoffs so they weren’t all that bad. No disrespect meant to Peca. Good player. Played for Team Canada. Great NHL career.

Like you point out, many great players for sure.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009

Brett Seguin. Second in OHL career assists. Too small for the NHL, at the time. Also had other issues that held him back. Killer lobbied so hard to get him on Team Canada.

That last overall team was so bad there was a game where Killer had Peca play the entire third period. Peca would take a shift at forward, then go back and play defense for a shift.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Brett Seguin. Second in OHL career assists. Too small for the NHL, at the time. Also had other issues that held him back. Killer lobbied so hard to get him on Team Canada.

That last overall team was so bad there was a game where Killer had Peca play the entire third period. Peca would take a shift at forward, then go back and play defense for a shift.

I wonder if Seguin would actually have a chance in today’s game. I’m trying to remember how good his skating was But I am drawing a blank. I remember him playing but it was at the very very begining of me being in Ottawa so I wasn’t as exposed to the finer points of his game.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It is interesting how a topic can change LOL

The discussion about Alyn was not was he the best it was to point out the rivalries and differences between teams based on the fan mindset.

There have and always will be differences in opinions my thought is that these differences were more rabid more entrenched and more vocal in the past.

As a Canadians fan, Ken LInseman could do no wrong Tony and the rest of the team were awesome and to a lot of people heroes.

I am sure that if you asked 67's fans, it would not be the same answer.

I had the enjoyment of attending Frontenacs games in the late 90s and early 2000. While players like Hughes Stewart et al were cheered by the fans I was the outside voice that railed against them. In the M Center, it was not popular, with some fans even when the players were crap, and Mav was totally lost hiring and firing coaches to suit what the players wanted.

In the mid 90's I was asked not to wear my jersey at an away game because it could upset fans and cause trouble.

the Alyn Savard difference was a big thing then between 2 teams that thought they were the best and fans that were totally vocal.

Now we are in the 2020 time frame and we have Gens fans commenting on how our team is and the players on it and in some cases denigrating their own team.

In the 70's80's and 90's that did not happen not in the open.

Yes, we complained about our teams but only amongst ourselves. We kept it in the family.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009

The discussion about Alyn was not was he the best it was to point out the rivalries and differences between teams based on the fan mindset.

There have and always will be differences in opinions my thought is that these differences were more rabid more entrenched and more vocal in the past.

As a Canadians fan, Ken LInseman could do no wrong Tony and the rest of the team were awesome and to a lot of people heroes.

I had the enjoyment of attending Frontenacs games in the late 90s and early 2000. While players like Hughes Stewart et al were cheered by the fans I was the outside voice that railed against them. In the M Center, it was not popular, with some fans even when the players were crap, and Mav was totally lost hiring and firing coaches to suit what the players wanted.

In the mid 90's I was asked not to wear my jersey at an away game because it could upset fans and cause trouble.

the Alyn Savard difference was a big thing then between 2 teams that thought they were the best and fans that were totally vocal.

Now we are in the 2020 time frame and we have Gens fans commenting on how our team is and the players on it and in some cases denigrating their own team.

Yes, we complained about our teams but only amongst ourselves. We kept it in the family.

"They may be bums, but they are our bums."

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

We aren’t having a fan discussion regarding Oshawa and Ottawa. The discussion was centred around Ottawa players.

The Alyn McCauley vs Marc Savard question isn’t even a real question. There isn’t a reputable person in the OHL that would honestly rate Savard above McCauley. No disrespect meant to Marc Savard but it is what it is. McCauley’s full game was far superior and that resulted in his Team Canada invites and two MVP’s. There really isn‘t much of a discussion in that respect.

The main discussion is who was better between Player X and Player Y on the 67’s.

Ottawa has had a handful of stellar Junior players. That is for certain. Loads of quality players that will be remembered vividly. We’ve brought many of them up here.

The challenge is the further you go back, the less fans there are that can speak to the players impact as a 67. I can tell you how good of a hockey player Dennis Potvin was but I cannot tell you what he looked like in a 67’s uniform. I wasn’t even born yet!

Same goes for Alyn McCauley. The 67’s went through somewhat of a renaissance period when Jeff Hunt bought the team and plunged a ton of cash into the organization to rejuvenate it. McCauley was gone after ‘97 so many fans on this forum simply werent’ around when the organization was floundering under Montagano. So, it is realistic to only have a couple voices on here that are able to write about players like Seguin, Peca and McCauley. Co0nversely, there are a lot of people that can speak about guys like Boynton, Campbell, and Locke.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
We aren’t having a fan discussion regarding Oshawa and Ottawa. The discussion was centred around Ottawa players.

The Alyn McCauley vs Marc Savard question isn’t even a real question. There isn’t a reputable person in the OHL that would honestly rate Savard above McCauley. No disrespect meant to Marc Savard but it is what it is. McCauley’s full game was far superior and that resulted in his Team Canada invites and two MVP’s. There really isn‘t much of a discussion in that respect.

The main discussion is who was better between Player X and Player Y on the 67’s.

Ottawa has had a handful of stellar Junior players. That is for certain. Loads of quality players that will be remembered vividly. We’ve brought many of them up here.

The challenge is the further you go back, the less fans there are that can speak to the players impact as a 67. I can tell you how good of a hockey player Dennis Potvin was but I cannot tell you what he looked like in a 67’s uniform. I wasn’t even born yet!

Same goes for Alyn McCauley. The 67’s went through somewhat of a renaissance period when Jeff Hunt bought the team and plunged a ton of cash into the organization to rejuvenate it. McCauley was gone after ‘97 so many fans on this forum simply werent’ around when the organization was floundering under Montagano. So, it is realistic to only have a couple voices on here that are able to write about players like Seguin, Peca and McCauley. Co0nversely, there are a lot of people that can speak about guys like Boynton, Campbell, and Locke.
As a Petes fan I watched Andrew Cassels, Brett Seguin, Michael Peca and Alyn McCauley play on numerous occasions. Cassels was the best offensively followed by Sequin. Both were not great defensively. Peca reminded me a lot of Mike Ricci with his strong too way game and McCauley was a great two way player. In my opinion Cassels and McCauley were the best of the four and McCauley was probably the best.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

Not very familiar with this player to be perfectly honest with you (you're clearly older than me), but looks like a really disappointing NHL career then for someone you describe to be an unbelievable player. Only hit 20 goals once. Never hit 50 points a single time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad