Ottawa 67's 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zookeeper

Sep 15, 2021
Ottawa makes a trade.

Sends 42overall 2022 2nd round pick to Sault Ste Marie for Ottawas 2024 3rd round and Sault Ste Marie’s 2025 2nd round.

Reactions: sirius67fan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
For the record, regarding attendance, the Ottawa 67’s averaged 6381 fans per game the year prior to moving to Kanata for two seasons. Then, when in Kanata, they averaged 5613 and 4305 each of the two season there. When they returned to Lansdowne, they proceeded to average 3500-3700 for each of the first four seasons. The strong performance seasons saw attendance rise to an average of 4400 in each of those two season.

So, even the poor attendance season for the 2nd year in Kanata was relatively equal to the attendance at TD Place for the two League Leading seasons in ‘19 and ‘20.

I haven’t looked at this season but I imagine it is probably back down to the low to mid 3000’s.

Also, the two seasons they were in Kanata, they were above the league average. The first four seasons at TD Place they hovered around 85% of the league average attendance so about 15% less than the average.

If the 67’s were to bring back the Friday night games as their primary home night (20-22 of 34 dates), they’d do much better attendance wise. I think that is evident when you look at the attendance figures for the 10 or so games they do play per year on Friday nights. Unfortunately, it conflicts with the other outlets so there will always be a struggle.

I believe if the 67’s were to move to Kanata in a new multiple pad facility that included a 6000 seat rink with some private boxes, they’d do very well. With the overall quality of the organization and their ability to maintain some consistent form of competitiveness, they’d see a lot more success financially than they do now...at least from a revenue generation standpoint.

The one thing that I am not privy to is their expense side of the ledger. The one advantage the 67’s may have with OSEG is the shared resources running the other sports teams. I’m also unsure what arrangement they have with respect to the cost of the facility. If the 67’s don’t need to pay for “rent” then the overall financial side may be better than most other teams with similar attendance.

The reality is the OSEG development has hurt the 67’s immeasurably from an attendance perspective. Had they kept Lansdowne Park the same, they’d probably still be averaging over 5000 fans per game. The facility would be decrepit and run down and the space would remain an eye sore BUT the 67’s would have made out ok.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa makes a trade.

Sends 42overall 2022 2nd round pick to Sault Ste Marie for Ottawas 2024 3rd round and Sault Ste Marie’s 2025 2nd round.

That’s a GREAT deal. Basically a very late 2nd for a 3rd and a probable better positioned 2nd in 2025.

Let’s be real though. The two picks will likely be turned over in another deal for a player either next year or the following. But, that is two significant assets from one significant asset.

I am sort of hoping they manage to do it again with their other 2nd rounder before the deadline passes.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Oups didn't read the end of yyour post OMG! LOL

Well, I wasn’t thinking about them not having a 3rd round pick. I sort of think they will keep the KGN 2nd this year and use it. If they had a 3rd round pick, maybe they’d feel more comfortable. That said, if they could work out a deal where they get a 3rd back in THIS draft as part of a multi-pick deal then I could see them do it.

Reactions: sirius67fan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Third pick or not they should still do it. They have enough players and gives them ammo for trades.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Third pick or not they should still do it. They have enough players and gives them ammo for trades.

I get what you are saying but that is if the only concern is next year and potentially the following year.

However, age distribution is an issue. If we were to trade the second 2nd rounder and not have the 3rd rounder, we’d be void 19 year old veteran bodies four years from now. In addition, it is usually those 3rd and 4th round picks that make good OA’s five years from now.

You know me, I am all about pushing all in when it makes sense. But, considering we have a lot of bodies all around the same age, it may make more sense to follow what Beast is saying and look to push a couple existing players out through trade so as to maintain a better age balance.

I think there may be an opportunity for better asset management by keeping the 2nd (or trading it but bring back a 2022 3rd in the deal) and trading some existing bodies that don’t look to get functional ice time next season. To me, guys like Gardiner would be trade pieces that could be used. Same goes for Smyth or potentially even Sawyer.

If we were to draft Mews and he turns out to be productive as a rookie, that may make Sawyer somewhat redundant. I have a feeling they like what they see from Mayich and Sirman. That could leave Sawyer on the outside considering his step up this year wasn’t to the level we anticipated.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Another more minor trade for ottawa. We trade london 4th-22 to London for Kit 3rd-24.

That’s not a minor trade. On the surface, maybe but not minor.

We had the OTT 4th as well as the LDN 4th. Because we have the two firsts and a second (no 3rd), we can still add some bodies for the future while turning that relatively innocuous 4th rounder this year into a future 3rd rounder we can use in a future trade when we need to add those more meaningful depth picks.

We now have three 3rds for 2024. The depth of those picks will help if we are acquiring assets for next year.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Tidy work by James Boyd in trading a very late 2nd (usually a 3rd at #42) and late 4th (77th overall) for a future 2nd and two future 3rd’s. Good organizations build depth like this to accumulate assets.

If Nick Moldenhauer signs in Sarnia, the 67’s will have the deepest draft pick treasure trove in the league.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
With so many strong returning players, I tried my hand at a pre-draft depth chart:

FORWARDS:

Luca Pinelli (2005)- Vinzenz Rohrer (2003 IMPORT)- Tyler Boucher (2003)

Brady Stonehouse (2004)- Cam Tolnai (OA)- Jack Beck (2003)

Thomas Johnston (2003)- Chris Barlas (2005)- Brad Gardiner (2005)

Will Gerrior (2004)- Vsevolod Gaidamak (2003 IMPORT)- Cooper Foster (2005)

Jack Dever (2005)- Steven Laforme (2003)

DEFENCEMEN:

Matt Mayich (2004)- Jack Matier (2003)

Thomas Sirman (2004)- Anthony Costantini (OA)

Teddy Sawyer (2003)- Ranvir Gill-Shane (2003)

Derek Smyth (2004)- Gavin Ewles (2005)

GOALIE

Max Donoso (2003)

Collin Mackenzie (2004)

The 67’s have an envious position of having 14 returning forwards, 8 defencemen and 2 goalies, when including highly touted affiliated players Cooper Foster (2nd round), Jack Dever (4th round) and Gavin Ewles (5th round) from last year’s draft. This list doesn’t include any previously drafted prospects who haven’t signed.

I’ve included Vsevolod Gaidamak on this list, but think there’s a strong chance that he may want to move on after a tough second half. With Russians and Belarusians ineligible to be drafted, if he wants to stick in the OHL, I am sure that the 67’s could accommodate him with a trade and return a draft pick. If he doesn’t return, a high-end Center, top pairing Defenceman or #1 Goalie could be had with a top 20 import pick and Jan Egert/James Boyd working their Import Draft magic.

At first glance, there isn’t a ton of room up front. They have last year’s first rounder Chris Barlas + 2nd rounders Cooper Foster and Brad Gardiner competing for top nine roles along with Thomas Johnston and Will Gerrior. Keep in mind that an impact OA Center and impact OA import player are potentials.

They will need to make room for both first rounders (7th and 21st overall) this season. I would anticipate that their second rounder (39th overall) will likely be an affiliated player this season. With that said, I would guess that they draft a D at 7 and a C at 21, with 39 either being a D or one of the top G in the draft, as that seems to be the position of least depth in the club.

The 67's depth and full draft pick cupboard will be fun to follow over the coming season.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think that Boyd is in the envious position of being able to draft the BPA in the first 3 picks.

Let's face it, anyone we draft is not going to be a big addition this year.

That being said we need to work for the future as well as the now.

We have the players available that camp is going to be wide open

Except for Rohrer and this year's first-round picks no one is really guaranteed a position.

Before we get rid of a Sirman I would try to package Constantini and another player for a young starter

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
With so many strong returning players, I tried my hand at a pre-draft depth chart:

FORWARDS:

Luca Pinelli (2005)- Vinzenz Rohrer (2003 IMPORT)- Tyler Boucher (2003)

Brady Stonehouse (2004)- Cam Tolnai (OA)- Jack Beck (2003)

Thomas Johnston (2003)- Chris Barlas (2005)- Brad Gardiner (2005)

Will Gerrior (2004)- Vsevolod Gaidamak (2003 IMPORT)- Cooper Foster (2005)

Jack Dever (2005)- Steven Laforme (2003)

DEFENCEMEN:

Matt Mayich (2004)- Jack Matier (2003)

Thomas Sirman (2004)- Anthony Costantini (OA)

Teddy Sawyer (2003)- Ranvir Gill-Shane (2003)

Derek Smyth (2004)- Gavin Ewles (2005)

GOALIE

Max Donoso (2003)

Collin Mackenzie (2004)

The 67’s have an envious position of having 14 returning forwards, 8 defencemen and 2 goalies, when including highly touted affiliated players Cooper Foster (2nd round), Jack Dever (4th round) and Gavin Ewles (5th round) from last year’s draft. This list doesn’t include any previously drafted prospects who haven’t signed.

I’ve included Vsevolod Gaidamak on this list, but think there’s a strong chance that he may want to move on after a tough second half. With Russians and Belarusians ineligible to be drafted, if he wants to stick in the OHL, I am sure that the 67’s could accommodate him with a trade and return a draft pick. If he doesn’t return, a high-end Center, top pairing Defenceman or #1 Goalie could be had with a top 20 import pick and Jan Egert/James Boyd working their Import Draft magic.

At first glance, there isn’t a ton of room up front. They have last year’s first rounder Chris Barlas + 2nd rounders Cooper Foster and Brad Gardiner competing for top nine roles along with Thomas Johnston and Will Gerrior. Keep in mind that an impact OA Center and impact OA import player are potentials.

They will need to make room for both first rounders (7th and 21st overall) this season. I would anticipate that their second rounder (39th overall) will likely be an affiliated player this season. With that said, I would guess that they draft a D at 7 and a C at 21, with 39 either being a D or one of the top G in the draft, as that seems to be the position of least depth in the club.

The 67's depth and full draft pick cupboard will be fun to follow over the coming season.

need to upgrade that back end with more skilled Dmen Couple those kids really struggle at times .

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG

I think we have to include Cranley in the Goalie equation.

Turns out that St Louis does not have an ECHL affiliate.

Used to be Tulsa, but they just signed an agreement with Anaheim.

Also, as an aside, Bahl and Okytuk both played with the devils at the end of the season.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Nobody will trade for Gaidamak. They can draft an import for nothing.

I think the biggest possibility would be to bring him back and then if he doesn’t show what he did in the first half, they can trade him plus picks for an impact Import.

I agree that trading him is probably not possible unless it is to a team that is low on cash and doesn’t want to pay the fees associated to bringing over Imports.

Technically you cannot draft an Import for nothing. It is typically tens of thousands of dollars to secure an Import player.

Reactions: HockeyPops

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa draft picks Beaudoin and vannamaker. 1st round

The Hage report of him going NCAA may mess things up a bit for Ottawa unless Peterborough drafts him.

As of right now, there seems to be a consensus top 7…

Misa, Spence, Villeneuve, Hage, Dickenson, Beaudoin, and Mews. Mews is a bit of a wild card so lets call it a consensus top 6 with Mews as the 7th of a top 7 on MANY draft boards.

If Hage drops off the list, that leaves a top 6 with Ottawa picking 7th. There seems to be a gap after that top 6/7. It would probably mean Ottawa ends up drafting Cormier who is a good player in his own right but not quite in the same category as his teammate Villeneuve.

So, if you believe the mock draft boards and there is no jockeying for position amongst the players, depending on Hage, Ottawa is likely looking at Mews or Cormier. Maybe Dickinson if he drops.

It looks like Beaudoin’s late push will ensure he goes top 5. Ottawa not dropping down to 8th in the conference pretty much ensures they won’t get the types of players we were hoping for. We really needed that 5th pick if we wanted to guarantee that high impact forward.

We’ll see what happens tonight.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG

I think we have to include Cranley in the Goalie equation.

Turns out that St Louis does not have an ECHL affiliate.

Used to be Tulsa, but they just signed an agreement with Anaheim.

Also, as an aside, Bahl and Okytuk both played with the devils at the end of the season.

You have to think STL will either sign an agreement with another organization or share one With another team.

At the end of the day, it first is up to Ottawa to make their decision. If Ottawa wants to use an OA spot on Cranley they can. But, if they don’t want to and want Donoso to be the starter with MacKenzie as the backup to help develop him within the organization then that leaves Cranley on the outside looking in.

The reality is, Donoso got the playoff starts. He was the starting goalie for the “Poles in the second half of the season. I cannot see the 67’s keeping Cranley as a backup OA.

The possibility exists that the 67’s could waive him or trade his rights. So, there may still be an opportunity for him in the OHL next season IF St Louis wants him to get another year of Junior in.

Personally, I think another year of Junior hockey would do him good. With all the missed development time for goalies, I think it is going to be difficult for many of the 19 and 20 year olds to transition to pro hockey this season. It is such a difficult position with a late maturity already. The Covid issue exacerbates that tremendously.

I still think Cranley can be an outstanding goalie. He just needs to be in the right situation for his development and I am not sure Ottawa is the right situation for him. St Louis has the tools to make the right decision so I am not too worried about it either way. We haven’t heard the last from Will Cranley even if he isn’t part of the 67’s organization next season.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well, I had a chance to review the Phase 2.0 of Lansdowne including the notes provided by City Council.

It looks like it could be tax neutral. The City would have to service a loan but with Proterty taxes as well as selling the air rights and ticket surcharges, it does look like there may be no additional funding through tax payer dollars. So, if that remains the same, it looks like the City will approve it.

There also seems to be an appetite to replace the existing North Side Stands and Civic centre because of the aging infrastructure. Let’s face it, it is 55 year’s old and not many facilities remain after 50 years.

The way they’ve structured the development would see the arena build on the East Side end zone. The private boxes for the arena would also open up to the Football stadium which seems pretty creative to me. It would house 5500 seats which is perfect for Junior Hockey and a size that would allow OSEG to properly sell tickets without requiring massive promotions and discount programs.

The additional 1200 residential units would organically help the retail in the complex as well. An additional 60,000 square feet of retail would also be added.

The North Side stands would be reduced from 14,000 to 11,000 seats but would be built more steeply. This would allow for the three residential towers to be built at the back of the North Side Stands so the retail in the residential buildings would face the retail across from the current Civic Centre Arena.

From a footprint point of view, the park area behind the east end zone where they propose to out the new arena would be the only space sacrificed. The rest would fit on existing utilized space.

The arena is proposed to break ground in November but 2023 looks more realistic. That would be built independently first and would have no impact on current activities. Once that is build, phase 2 would see the current stands torn down and rebuilt and the condo/retail built as well.

I have to admit that the plan seems very elegant. It also seems doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad