Ottawa 67's 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
August is here and training camp soon. Typically trade window opens at this time. Wonder if we'll see the 67's move out a few bodies? Or acquire a center and/or OA.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
August is here and training camp soon. Typically trade window opens at this time. Wonder if we'll see the 67's move out a few bodies? Or acquire a center and/or OA.

I’m not really expecting anything. I sort of fall on the same page as Beast. Although we are reasonably certain we need a centre, unless one becomes available that is a good fit and price AND a decision would need to be made immediately, the 67s would benefit from training camp and exhibition to determine for certain where the gaps are and how the depth chart falls into place.

Certain players may want a new place to play based on the depth chart post exhibition schedule. That may impact Ottawa’s willingness to make deals early as well.

Reactions: sirius67fan

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It is impossible to determine who is available for trade. Also as OMG said unless we are trading Rohrer or a known quantity player no one is going to trade. Same with OA and centers. Too many players may or may not be back.

There really is a lot that we need to know about our team. I agree that our top 2 lines are set The 3rd and 4th line is still up for grabs.

Same with Defence we have a lot of players coming back and someone is not going to make it.

It all depends on who shows the most at camp.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OK I asked this when it was just Wright but I see that Boucher is not in the U.S. line up. Is there a reason that these guys are not playing

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
For those wondering what Dylan Robinson ended up doing, he's now playing Jr A lacrosse. His team (Toronto Beaches) are in the finals against Whitby Warriors. Robinson had 15 points in 18 games in the regular season and now 7 points in 10 playoff games

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It is impossible to determine who is available for trade. Also as OMG said unless we are trading Rohrer or a known quantity player no one is going to trade. Same with OA and centers. Too many players may or may not be back.

There really is a lot that we need to know about our team. I agree that our top 2 lines are set The 3rd and 4th line is still up for grabs.

Same with Defence we have a lot of players coming back and someone is not going to make it.

It all depends on who shows the most at camp.

Sometimes OA’s do become available leading up to training camp. Poorer teams may have guys that will only come back to play on a contender and some other may have depth chart issues (like we are having on defence). So there is a possibility BUT even if we ad an OA early, there would still be a possibility we’d upgrade at the deadline. That’s more why I think they will hold off and allow ice to open for the younger guys to battle.

I’m not 100% sure our top two lines are set. I can definitely say that is the perception but we don’t know if Rohrer is actually going to line up at Centre all season as the primary goal for his development or not. We don’t know if Boucher is returning for certain. He is eligible for the AHL.

We also don’t know what surprises we have in store. There always seems to be one every season or two. Jack Quinn may have not been a surprise to some but he was a CJHL 16 year old. Foster may be in the same situation to catapult forward. TJ was injured much of last season and underperFormed. If he comes in as a 19 year old and performs the way we expected last year then that could upset the apple cart a bit from a depth chart perspective. Barlas played very uninspired last year but he still is a high ceiling player. If he comes in with a new mindset and a ton of confidence as well as carrying 15 extra pounds and two inches taller, it could be a game changer.

This is why I mostly agree with you that we really need to see what we have through training camp and exhibition as well as probably the first 4 weeks of the season before we make any MAJOR moves. We need to see where our gaps are. So, unless there is a ”can’t pass up OA Centre” that comes available that is saying “I want to play for Ottawa dn only Ottawa” like a Lou Dickenson, then I don’t anticipate any moves other than players exiting the program as they thin the herd.

Reactions: beastintheeast

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
Ottawa
Foawrds
OA- Cameron Tolnai (C)

19- Jack Beck (LW), Tyler Boucher (RW), Steven Laforme (C)

18- Vinzenz Rohrer (C/RW), Brady Stonehouse(RW), Will Gerrior (LW), Thomas Johnston (LW)

17-Jack Dever (RW),Cooper Foster (C), Luca Pinelli (LW), Brad Gardiner(C), Chris Barlas(C), Ethan Quick

16- Caden Kelly (RW)

Defense
OA- Anthony Costantini

19- Teddy Sawyer, Ranvir Gill-Shane, Jack Matier

18- Matthew Mayich, Derek Smyth, Thomas Sirman

17- Gavin Ewles

16-Frank Marrelli, Henry Mews

Goalies

19- Max Donoso

18- Collin MacKenzie

16-Hayden Duncan

Ideas?

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Ottawa
Foawrds
OA- Cameron Tolnai (C)

19- Jack Beck (LW), Tyler Boucher (RW), Steven Laforme (C)

18- Vinzenz Rohrer (C/RW), Brady Stonehouse(RW), Will Gerrior (LW), Thomas Johnston (LW)

17-Jack Dever (RW),Cooper Foster (C), Luca Pinelli (LW), Brad Gardiner(C), Chris Barlas(C), Ethan Quick

16- Caden Kelly (RW)

Defense
OA- Anthony Costantini

19- Teddy Sawyer, Ranvir Gill-Shane, Jack Matier

18- Matthew Mayich, Derek Smyth, Thomas Sirman

17- Gavin Ewles

16-Frank Marrelli, Henry Mews

Goalies

19- Max Donoso

18- Collin MacKenzie

16-Hayden Duncan

Ideas?
Good summary, however TJ is 19 I believe. Of that list it's unlikely Devers, Quick ( unsigned) or Ewles make the team imo. Laforme likely starts as our 13th forward and adds size but I don't think he finishes the year. Another D will also need to be dealt.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Sometimes OA’s do become available leading up to training camp. Poorer teams may have guys that will only come back to play on a contender and some other may have depth chart issues (like we are having on defence). So there is a possibility BUT even if we ad an OA early, there would still be a possibility we’d upgrade at the deadline. That’s more why I think they will hold off and allow ice to open for the younger guys to battle.

I’m not 100% sure our top two lines are set. I can definitely say that is the perception but we don’t know if Rohrer is actually going to line up at Centre all season as the primary goal for his development or not. We don’t know if Boucher is returning for certain. He is eligible for the AHL.

We also don’t know what surprises we have in store. There always seems to be one every season or two. Jack Quinn may have not been a surprise to some but he was a CJHL 16 year old. Foster may be in the same situation to catapult forward. TJ was injured much of last season and underperFormed. If he comes in as a 19 year old and performs the way we expected last year then that could upset the apple cart a bit from a depth chart perspective. Barlas played very uninspired last year but he still is a high ceiling player. If he comes in with a new mindset and a ton of confidence as well as carrying 15 extra pounds and two inches taller, it could be a game changer.

This is why I mostly agree with you that we really need to see what we have through training camp and exhibition as well as probably the first 4 weeks of the season before we make any MAJOR moves. We need to see where our gaps are. So, unless there is a ”can’t pass up OA Centre” that comes available that is saying “I want to play for Ottawa dn only Ottawa” like a Lou Dickenson, then I don’t anticipate any moves other than players exiting the program as they thin the herd.
Thats what's fun with junior hockey, the progression (or not) of the kids. My 3 candidates for that big jump are Foster(dominant year in tier 2), Gerrior ( is he a quality bottom 6 or does his offense push him in the top 6?) and Sirman ( can he be that puck moving D??). As an outlier as you said Barlas if he can add size and start the season on the right foot.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
This article says Tyler Boucher has spent the summer in Ottawa and is expected to play OHL this season:

Now that's reassuring as it was not a given he'd be back. He's gonna be a very important player for us and not many players have that true power forward skillset. I think it's very smart of the sens as the kid has not played a lot of hockey and he needs to be at a level he can dominate to develop imo. Now if we can get Kasper......

Speaking of power forward, when's the last time we had a player that truly fits that description? I'm drawing a blank...Jamie Mcginn kind of?? Beast, OMG help me out!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Now that's reassuring as it was not a given he'd be back. He's gonna be a very important player for us and not many players have that true power forward skillset. I think it's very smart of the sens as the kid has not played a lot of hockey and he needs to be at a level he can dominate to develop imo. Now if we can get Kasper......

Speaking of power forward, when's the last time we had a player that truly fits that description? I'm drawing a blank...Jamie Mcginn kind of?? Beast, OMG help me out!
Mark Mancari
Bryan Bickell
Corey Cowick
RVS
Tyler Graovac

But I would say the very last one was probably Travis Barron

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Mark Mancari
Bryan Bickell
Corey Cowick
RVS
Tyler Graovac

But I would say the very last one was probably Travis Barron
Good list OMG . Ah memories, loved Mancari. I guess the only one on this list close in talent to Boucher was Bickell. I did chuckle when I saw Graovac's name. He was big but played a soft game...power forward...humm

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I would consider Brendan Bell whom we acquired from Barrie in 2012. Chpped in with 20 goals each of his last 2 seasons and was not afraid to go to the dirty areas.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Good list OMG . Ah memories, loved Mancari. I guess the only one on this list close in talent to Boucher was Bickell. I did chuckle when I saw Graovac's name. He was big but played a soft game...power forward...humm

I’m usually pretty good at projecting Pro players or at least more realistic than most. BUT! Mark Mancari was the one I judged too favourably. I thought he had the size and skill to play at the NHL Level as a regular. I was wrong. That one still baffles me.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I’m usually pretty good at projecting Pro players or at least more realistic than most. BUT! Mark Mancari was the one I judged too favourably. I thought he had the size and skill to play at the NHL Level as a regular. I was wrong. That one still baffles me.
The skating is what did him in. I taught he had a shot too but it was dependant on improving his skating but did not happen. That being said he was one of the players i saw that improved the most from year 1 to 5.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009

I would add:
Matt Foy
Curtis Bowen
Austen Keating
Thomas Nesbitt
Ryan Kuwabara
Matt Zultek
Matt Smyth
Chris Simon

Going way back
Gary Roberts
Randy Cunneyworth

And there is Lance... LOL

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I would add:
Matt Foy
Curtis Bowen
Austen Keating
Thomas Nesbitt
Ryan Kuwabara
Matt Zultek
Matt Smyth
Chris Simon

Going way back
Gary Roberts
Randy Cunneyworth

And there is Lance... LOL
Wow how could I forget Foy...true power forward. Zultek also fit the bill. But Foy is probably the closest to Boucher in terms of size, skating.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Jesus. The question was “the last” true power forward. I named a few just before the one I settled on but now we are naming all power forwards in 67’s history! LOL.

If we are going to go down that road, how about we do an ALL-67’s first and second team All-Star squad?

The stipulation would be the players had to play for the 67’s as either ONLY 67’s or the team traded for them at a younger age and they played at least two full season with the team. In other words, the 67’s developed them either through their own draft pick or through a trade before they were stars….no deadline acquisitions!

The second stipulation is you can only use players from when you were a 67’s fan! That makes it even more interesting. My first year following the 67’s was 92-93. I am only able to pick players on that team forward.

I will give it some thought and post something tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how the teams are compiled considering the starting years for some!

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Just saw the Petes acquired Conor Lockhart from erie for Alfano, a second and a third. He would have fitted in well as our second line center as a 19y.o with 48 pts last year on a weak team. And an Ottawa kid to booth. We certainly had the ammo to outbid the Petes! Hopefully Boyd has a plan but there haven't been any moves this summer to improve the team compared to the Petes and Niagara ( although I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve).

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Just saw the Petes acquired Conor Lockhart from erie for Alfano, a second and a third. He would have fitted in well as our second line center as a 19y.o with 48 pts last year on a weak team. And an Ottawa kid to booth. We certainly had the ammo to outbid the Petes! Hopefully Boyd has a plan but there haven't been any moves this summer to improve the team compared to the Petes and Niagara ( although I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve).
He's not a centre. Only 58 faceoffs in 64 games last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad