Ottawa 67's 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
So glad to see the new signings in the last few days.
It will be the most inexperienced team I have ever seen in Ottawa as a result of covid.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Looks like the 67's have the center position filled. The only question is who will be the first-line center. I am not sold on Tolnai or Robinson being first line.

The other question will be with so many rookies I do not think there will be that drastic a minutes difference between line 1 and line 3

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Ottawa signing Hulton would be hilarious and definitely put a knot in Kingston ownerships nose. remind Kingston fans what they lost

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Hulton runs the show in Charlottetown. He is not coming back just for a head coaching job.

Don’t be too sure. The compensation would probably be similar or better and his exposure in the OHL Would probably be much better. As the 67’s continue to find success, more players want to play there and the team continues to get more exposure. With that, so does he.

If he wants back in the NHL, especially as a head coach, his chances are better in Ottawa than they are in Charlottetown.

Now, if he was a Brian Kilrea type and wants to settle down and be satisfied with his status and is happy in PEI, then his gig right now is perfect for that sort of situation. But, Jim Hilton does not remind me of that kind of guy.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Don’t be too sure. The compensation would probably be similar or better and his exposure in the OHL Would probably be much better. As the 67’s continue to find success, more players want to play there and the team continues to get more exposure. With that, so does he.

If he wants back in the NHL, especially as a head coach, his chances are better in Ottawa than they are in Charlottetown.

Now, if he was a Brian Kilrea type and wants to settle down and be satisfied with his status and is happy in PEI, then his gig right now is perfect for that sort of situation. But, Jim Hilton does not remind me of that kind of guy.

Don't forget he is from the area. The money would be comparable and if he got the same deal as Tourigny it would almost be level with Charlottetown and less travel.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Hope and Pray…
Which is true for a lot if not most teams this year. Should be real interesting. Really don't know what to expect from the 67's. So many unknowns!
How much have the 16/17 y.o. from 2 years ago developed?? Two rookie classes? Two new imports? New coaching staff. My prediction they will finish between 1rst and tenth in the east.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Which is true for a lot if not most teams this year. Should be real interesting. Really don't know what to expect from the 67's. So many unknowns!
How much have the 16/17 y.o. from 2 years ago developed?? Two rookie classes? Two new imports? New coaching staff. My prediction they will finish between 1rst and tenth in the east.

All teams will have a significant level of unknown HOWEVER the 67’s have a below average ‘02 class from a leadership and overall skill level perspective. We also are pretty much void of an ‘01 class because our ‘01’s have graduated. The rest are marginal at best.

So, the 67’s are going to rely heavily on their ‘03 class.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Regarding an actual depth chart, it isn’t really worth while. We have three centres that could be used interchangeably in my mind (Tolnai, Laforme, Gaidamak). By all accounts, it looks like our Import pick this year, Rohrer, looks like a centre based on most recent reports. So, he may be in the mix too.

We don’t have one single bonafide first line winger you can point to and say “he’s the man.”

Our defence seems to be more clearly defined than the forwards but that may very well change.

I guess Cranley is the starter, pretty much guaranteed. That may be the one spot that is basically penned in place.

This team will need the full first half of the season to seriously start to evaluate what we have and that may simply not be enough time. This is why my plan would be to simply play the team, fiddle with lines and playing partners etc and give everyone as much ice as you can give them until the top players emerge from the pack.

I wouldn’t bother adding an OA to this roster unless they were added in an effort to increase the level of play of the players around them and help their confidence which would develop them a little better. No sense struggling and chasing pucks. You don’t learn anything that way. So, if it were to come to that, then I would say get some OA’s. Otherwise, why bother?

This team could finish anywhere from 4th to 10th in the Conference. I think the defence will be too good to finish 10th but who knows? If I had to put $100 on the table and make a crystal ball prediction, I would say 6th…assuming they make no significant additions.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
To me Kingston is going to be the interesting team. 2 weeks ago I would have said they were going to be a power with just their first line and coach.
now no coach. Teams will be able to concentrate on the first line and Kory Cooper as a GM You have to be kidding.

Moldenhauer will make a difference if he comes as he has developed more than others.

We knew a couple of years ago a retooling was going to be needed

It would not surprise me to see an unofficial minicamp happen. at one of the local rinks where the players show up and play on their own with no coaches to get ready.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
All teams will have a significant level of unknown HOWEVER the 67’s have a below average ‘02 class from a leadership and overall skill level perspective. We also are pretty much void of an ‘01 class because our ‘01’s have graduated. The rest are marginal at best.

So, the 67’s are going to rely heavily on their ‘03 class.

The ‘02 class of the ‘67s certainly does not compare well to the Knights or Spitfires and a few others, but in the conference that they play all of their games, I don’t see it as any less than average with quite a bit of not guaranteed upside. There are quite a few high picked ‘02 players on the ‘67s roster that due to pretty loaded ‘99-‘01 classes and/or injury and a season cancelled have not had a ton of TOI to prove themselves. The cream rises to the top as they say; and in the OHL, breakout seasons at age 19 are normal.
I can see the ‘67s as a 4-6 seed even without OAs.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The ‘02 class of the ‘67s certainly does not compare well to the Knights or Spitfires and a few others, but in the conference that they play all of their games, I don’t see it as any less than average with quite a bit of not guaranteed upside. There are quite a few high picked ‘02 players on the ‘67s roster that due to pretty loaded ‘99-‘01 classes and/or injury and a season cancelled have not had a ton of TOI to prove themselves. The cream rises to the top as they say; and in the OHL, breakout seasons at age 19 are normal.
I can see the ‘67s as a 4-6 seed even without OAs.

It is very possible but none of them proved anything as 17 year olds, even with considerable opportunity for ice time.

It is likely one or two of them do break out but a break out season for a kid like Tolnai or Robinson would be 70 points. We don’t have a player that you look at and suggest they are a lock for 80-90 points. If both Tolnai and Robinson were to score 70 points and play at that point per game pace, I would be very happy with that. That said, in a normal you, if our veteran forwards were only point per game players, I wouldn’t really be all too excited. That is for sure.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It is very possible but none of them proved anything as 17 year olds, even with considerable opportunity for ice time.

It is likely one or two of them do break out but a break out season for a kid like Tolnai or Robinson would be 70 points. We don’t have a player that you look at and suggest they are a lock for 80-90 points. If both Tolnai and Robinson were to score 70 points and play at that point per game pace, I would be very happy with that. That said, in a normal you, if our veteran forwards were only point per game players, I wouldn’t really be all too excited. That is for sure.

I don’t see any league league leaders among that group either. I was just saying that I think it’s at least average in the east. I’d say the top teams are Barrie, Hamilton, Kingston, then …?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don’t see any league league leaders among that group either. I was just saying that I think it’s at least average in the east. I’d say the top teams are Barrie, Hamilton, Kingston, then …?

We don;t know who the top leaders will be. But, what I am saying is it would be rather presumptuous to assume Ottawa would finish in that 4-6 range considering they essentially have zero ‘01 OA’s and underwhelming ‘02’s.

This team will win on balance. We probably won’t have a prototypical first line but we could have three solid 2nd/3rd lines that can pinch some goals combined with the makings of a solid defence. For this team to be successful, they’ll need to keep their Goals Against down because I really don’t see scoring depth as a strength.

How will that compare to the rest of the Conference? We’ll see.

Moldenhauer still is unsigned. Considering the ‘05’s are signing, that doesn’t bode well for Ottawa. It is starting to look more and more like Moldenhauer is keeping his options open and will probably favour the US route if it looks like there is a spot on Chicago available for him where he can play consistent minutes. We’ll get compensated for him with a pick next year but it does leave a bit of a hole going forward.

I think it is going to be messy hockey league wide for the first month or two. It will be really hard to judge where teams truly are other than the standings. I’m not too excited about this season. I know we aren’t going to be major competitive but at the same time, with the lost season and all the development that goes with it, players are going to be sloppy and it is going to take a long time to rebuild the chemistry.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don’t think presumptuous is the correct word; 4-6 is pretty much predicting the ‘’67s as middle of the pack. I cannot begin to pick the order of the middling teams before some add or subtract, but I’m pretty sure there is a clear gap between the top and bottom.

Last edited:

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019

Why didn't the team select another player in the Import draft if this was even a remote possibility? Elite prospects has updated their information on Gaidamak as well.
Filling the gap left at the Hockey Operations and Head Coaching level is going to be important to address right away; history isn't on the side of this working out well if they don't bring in the right guy.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Why didn't the team select another player in the Import draft if this was even a remote possibility? Elite prospects has updated their information on Gaidamak as well.
Filling the gap left at the Hockey Operations and Head Coaching level is going to be important to address right away; history isn't on the side of this working out well if they don't bring in the right guy.
I can only imagine they thought he was coming for sure. If they knew and at least didn't take a flyer on a pick it would ....incompetent. Is it possible Simontaival , their other pick last year, is coming? Rossi for a rehab OA year ( yes I'm dreaming).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad