Ottawa 67's 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don’t think this matters all that much in the grand scheme of things. This team has a lot of unproven depth and they need ice time anyway. This year is a building year. They’ll get another first round Import Pick next year and probably in the top half of that draft. If both Imports were to have reported, they would have passed on next years pick as both players would have been age eligible to return.

There is a possibility Simontaival would report but at this point, with his scoring touch, I would imagine he’d get significant interest in Europe for real $$$ for the time being. Either that or he’d end up in the AHL.

Rossi isn’t on the radar. No reason for him to play an OA year for recovery purposes. Either he is good to play or he isn’t. He’ll play in the AHL to start the year I would think and join the NHL club when he is ready and the team needs him.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It may also be that they did not have anyone that wanted to commit or wanted to play that would have been a fit. Issue would be that they may want to have a player opening next year or the ability to trade for a EURO.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
I don’t think this matters all that much in the grand scheme of things. This team has a lot of unproven depth and they need ice time anyway. This year is a building year. They’ll get another first round Import Pick next year and probably in the top half of that draft. If both Imports were to have reported, they would have passed on next years pick as both players would have been age eligible to return.

There is a possibility Simontaival would report but at this point, with his scoring touch, I would imagine he’d get significant interest in Europe for real $$$ for the time being. Either that or he’d end up in the AHL.

Rossi isn’t on the radar. No reason for him to play an OA year for recovery purposes. Either he is good to play or he isn’t. He’ll play in the AHL to start the year I would think and join the NHL club when he is ready and the team needs him.
In the grand scheme of things they should be developing 2 import players, and for what its worth adding a couple of OA's for veteran leadership and scoring. Simontaival and Rossi are both on pro contracts and there is no way either return. Not having a 2nd import in the system is a mistake.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Any word out there on a new VP of Hockey Operations and Head Coach. Would think Ottawa would identify their guy and it would get done pretty easily

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
In the grand scheme of things they should be developing 2 import players, and for what its worth adding a couple of OA's for veteran leadership and scoring. Simontaival and Rossi are both on pro contracts and there is no way either return. Not having a 2nd import in the system is a mistake.

We have far too many bodies to develop right now. Adding another Import is one extra we don't have ice for.

I'd be fine if it were Gaidamak but if the opinion is we should have known about Gaidamak and drafted another 17 year old Import in the 2nd round of the Import Draft for the sake of having two Imports on the roster, then I think that is a waste of time.

We are far better off developing the last two draft classes and our 1st round Import pick this year and then picking another 1st round Import next year. It is more likely we end up with a better player in the first round next year as opposed to the 2nd round this year.

We have as many as 11 Rookies to break into the lineup (if we include Moldenhauer). Plus Sirizzotti is technically still a rookie.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Chicago steel has 2 players in the first round to be drafted. USNTP also has players.

Ottawa has a good system but who is going to be the coach and what does he have for linemates.

Unfortunately, Moldenhauer is in the driver's seat as to where he plays.

I think it will depend on what the Steel offer him and his linemates against what Ottawa has.
I would not expect much until the 67's new coach has a chance to sit down and talk with him.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
We have far too many bodies to develop right now. Adding another Import is one extra we don't have ice for.
y
I'd be fine if it were Gaidamak but if the opinion is we should have known about Gaidamak and drafted another 17 year old Import in the 2nd round of the Import Draft for the sake of having two Imports on the roster, then I think that is a waste of time.

We are far better off developing the last two draft classes and our 1st round Import pick this year and then picking another 1st round Import next year. It is more likely we end up with a better player in the first round next year as opposed to the 2nd round this year.

We have as many as 11 Rookies to break into the lineup (if we include Moldenhauer). Plus Sirizzotti is technically still a rookie.
Its never a waste of time to develop too many players, worst case scenario is they have to make a trade that returns them more picks to maintain the process. There is a reason teams like London sign as many players as they do every year, and are always actively pursuing and trading surplus. They never waste an opportunity.

Ottawa currently has 3-17 yo and 3-16 yo plus one import in the system which is hardly an over burden of players in development. The harsh realty of this season is going to be, either the 18/19 yo have continued to develop during the lay off or they have not. Either way the addition of another import and a couple of OA's would only allow for greater potential for success.

I expect the 18/19 yo group to be good this season. Several players were committed to a process that got interrupted by the canceled season. They also spent two years under Tourigny learning how to play the OHL game the right way. Bring in the right Hockey Operations and Head Coach and there is talent there to work with. I would add also, you don't manage a team on the basis of distribution of ice time, players work hard and develop in practice to earn ice time in the games. Teams that are developing players in games are doing a lot of losing and are likely only in that position out of necessity not desire. Its going to be a strange year, we can expect players and teams to seemingly come from no where and have success.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Its never a waste of time to develop too many players, worst case scenario is they have to make a trade that returns them more picks to maintain the process. There is a reason teams like London sign as many players as they do every year, and are always actively pursuing and trading surplus. They never waste an opportunity.

Ottawa currently has 3-17 yo and 3-16 yo plus one import in the system which is hardly an over burden of players in development. The harsh realty of this season is going to be, either the 18/19 yo have continued to develop during the lay off or they have not. Either way the addition of another import and a couple of OA's would only allow for greater potential for success.

I expect the 18/19 yo group to be good this season. Several players were committed to a process that got interrupted by the canceled season. They also spent two years under Tourigny learning how to play the OHL game the right way. Bring in the right Hockey Operations and Head Coach and there is talent there to work with. I would add also, you don't manage a team on the basis of distribution of ice time, players work hard and develop in practice to earn ice time in the games. Teams that are developing players in games are doing a lot of losing and are likely only in that position out of necessity not desire. Its going to be a strange year, we can expect players and teams to seemingly come from no where and have success.

We are going to break in Donoso in net. Fine
We break in Sirman and Mayich on the blue line plus Gill-Shane does have a lot of games.
The issue is up front. We have Moldenhauer (potentially), Stonehouse, Roher, Lafoeme, and three 16 year olds. That’s seven guys up front plus Sirizzotti only has a few games played. AGiadamak would make 8 or 9.

we can’t roster that many rookie forwards.

if Roher and Gaidamak were on roster next year, we forfeit our Import pick so it all balances out and gives more room to break guys in this season.

OHLoutsider2020

Aug 30, 2019
We are going to break in Donoso in net. Fine
We break in Sirman and Mayich on the blue line plus Gill-Shane does have a lot of games.
The issue is up front. We have Moldenhauer (potentially), Stonehouse, Roher, Lafoeme, and three 16 year olds. That’s seven guys up front plus Sirizzotti only has a few games played. AGiadamak would make 8 or 9.

we can’t roster that many rookie forwards.

if Roher and Gaidamak were on roster next year, we forfeit our Import pick so it all balances out and gives more room to break guys in this season.

what would current lineup look like with all the recent signings ?

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
As per the 67's website the 67's have signed our fourth pick (third rounder) Bradley Gardiner. Our top four picks have commited, good job. Another rookie on the roster OMG;). That being said likely a few of them start in tier 2 especially after missing a year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As per the 67's website the 67's have signed our fourth pick (third rounder) Bradley Gardiner. Our top four picks have commited, good job. Another rookie on the roster OMG;). That being said likely a few of them start in tier 2 especially after missing a year.

I’m good with signing the young guys but, as you mentioned, there’s only so many we can roster.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
what would current lineup look like with all the recent signings ?

Who knows. Too many variables. There’s no clear cut first line. You have to think Tolnai, now with Gaidamak not coming, has the inside track on front line centre but LaForme may get a crack at it. The Import may also impress although he is still a little young at 17. Seems to be a lot of mix and match and we will have to sprinkle the rookies throughout the lineup so don’t be surprised if one of two end up playing at the front of the depth chart like Beck did as a 16 year old.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
This is a best guess depth chart but don’t look at them as actual lines or pairings. A lot of stuff will change.

Robinson-Tolnai-Varga(OA)
Beck-Laforme-Sirizzotti
Johnston-Crete-Stonehouse
Pinelli-Barlas-Rohrer
Foster-X-Gardiner

Belanger-Matier
Sawyer-Costantini
Mayich-GillShane
X-Sirman

Cranley
Donoso

As of right now, I am using players currently signed and on roster. That does not mean veteran players like Varga and Crete will suit up for Ottawa this year but I assume they will. Also, with Moldenhauer not signed, he is not on the current depth chart.

Rohrer was pretty much plucked out of nowhere. It is hard to find even height/weight statistics for him so clearly he was a recommendation. Will it be a good one? Who knows.

I’ve tried to keep players on their natural wing and adjusted based on age and experience but like I said previously, I don’t think age and experience really means a heck of a lot going into next season. I think each player will be given and opportunity and the players that perform and show well will get more ice.

We have 12 official rookies on that depth chart with both GillShane and Sirizzotti only suiting up for 9 games staying under their 10 game threshold. Even though those two are rookies, I have a feeling both will be heavy contributors to this lineup. Laforme and Donoso come in as 18 year old rookies. Both will be counted upon to perform out of the gate. The rest will be battling amongst each other for ice time.

We’ll see if Moldenhauer actually signs. We haven’t heard anything about him committing to Chicago (USHL) so it looks like a wait and see situation where he will choose what is best for him through training camps. I have a feeling he is leaning towards Chicago but it will come down to whether they want him or not. He really only played last year as a fill in so we’ll have to look closer at their depth chart for next season. At least with Ottawa, he’ll get top 6 minutes most likely.

I really don’t know what to think about this team. In a normal year, I wouldn’t think very much of that roster but other teams will be in the same boat. I think the defense will be very good but I am not sure we have much scoring. Goals scored may be tough to come by. We’ll have to win some low scoring games and Cranley will need to be really solid.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Personally, I like the idea of not having a lot of OA and only 1 Euro.

Rohrer, you are right there are not size points available, however, looking at Elite prospects his numbers are sort comparative to what Rossi did in the same leagues and last year he played in the U20. I would suggest that looking at stats he was suggested by the same people that suggested Rossi and possibly by Marco.

Robinson-Tolnai-Varga(OA) i see as a shutdown line none of them have shown any ability to score

The other 3 lines are a crapshoot and I think we will see this team with 1a 1b lines that split time evenly.

If Rohrer has the skillset he could move up but I agree to start him there is not a bad thing.

Beck-Laforme-Sirizzotti
Pinelli-Barlas-Rohrer
Foster-X-Gardiner

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Personally, I like the idea of not having a lot of OA and only 1 Euro.

Rohrer, you are right there are not size points available, however, looking at Elite prospects his numbers are sort comparative to what Rossi did in the same leagues and last year he played in the U20. I would suggest that looking at stats he was suggested by the same people that suggested Rossi and possibly by Marco.

Robinson-Tolnai-Varga(OA) i see as a shutdown line none of them have shown any ability to score

The other 3 lines are a crapshoot and I think we will see this team with 1a 1b lines that split time evenly.

If Rohrer has the skillset he could move up but I agree to start him there is not a bad thing.

Beck-Laforme-Sirizzotti
Pinelli-Barlas-Rohrer
Foster-X-Gardiner

If Rohrer has skill similar to Rossi at the same age, he will likely play Centre. That said, it would be rather presumptuous of us to consider him in the same ballpark as Rossi as a 17 year old. We have to remember, Rossi was a pretty big deal when he was picked by Ottawa. There were other teams that wanted him but he’d only commit to Ottawa so he slipped to us.

If I had to pop a $100 bill on the table and make a bet, I’d suggest Rohrer will be an impact player but as a 17 year old, he likely ends up on the 3rd line.

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
The way I predict the OHL to be is that most teams will have 2 groups of rookies. And it will be that team whose rookies perform the best which will rise to the top of the standings.
There is a huge ? As to how these young players will perform, perhaps coaching and some veterans will make the biggest impact.

Only a psychic could predict how the 67s perform and at that im sure we all believe it's a guess.
It will be a very real indicator as to how well you had scouted the past 2 drafts.
My guess is that almost all teams will be very close and it will be a race to the end to get the final playoff spots.
Each game will matter more then ever.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
If Rohrer has skill similar to Rossi at the same age, he will likely play Centre. That said, it would be rather presumptuous of us to consider him in the same ballpark as Rossi as a 17 year old. We have to remember, Rossi was a pretty big deal when he was picked by Ottawa. There were other teams that wanted him but he’d only commit to Ottawa so he slipped to us.

If I had to pop a $100 bill on the table and make a bet, I’d suggest Rohrer will be an impact player but as a 17 year old, he likely ends up on the 3rd line.

the normal circumstance I would agree but we have a lot of players that will be fighting to show the NHL scouts what they can do.
I am also not convinced that Tolnai will not be a 3rd line shut-down center.

The big question will be do we have a first-line or do we have 3 lines that can play almost equal minutes.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The way I predict the OHL to be is that most teams will have 2 groups of rookies. And it will be that team whose rookies perform the best which will rise to the top of the standings.
There is a huge ? As to how these young players will perform, perhaps coaching and some veterans will make the biggest impact.

Only a psychic could predict how the 67s perform and at that im sure we all believe it's a guess.
It will be a very real indicator as to how well you had scouted the past 2 drafts.
My guess is that almost all teams will be very close and it will be a race to the end to get the final playoff spots.
Each game will matter more then ever.

There a few teams in each conference with more and better ‘01-‘02 born than there are most seasons comparatively. I would think they dominate teams breaking in 8 rookies. Then there are the generals who just haven’t had many picks over the past two years and the steelheads that essentially punted this past draft season. Do they add to have a very veteran roster? Personally, I expect a big gap between the top and bottom teams in the standings by seasons end.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think more important than anything this year is going to be what players stand up and take the bu ll by the horms. There are going to be a lot of kids that are going to be severely upset because they got overlooked in the draft. The ones that come to camp with that chip on their shoulder and want to show the scouts what they missed are going to be the stars of the team.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think more important than anything this year is going to be what players stand up and take the bu ll by the horms. There are going to be a lot of kids that are going to be severely upset because they got overlooked in the draft. The ones that come to camp with that chip on their shoulder and want to show the scouts what they missed are going to be the stars of the team.
You are dramatically over emphasizing the importance of the NHL draft.

some kids will be ready to go and will be able to compete physically and some won’t. Those that are ready will play. Those that aren’t won’t.

loads of spots open so the battle for positions up front will be plentiful. The only battle for the back end is between Mayoch and Sirman for #6 d-man.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
The last thing this team or any other needs is a bunch of guys trying to grab bulls by horns and be a star.
Being a star comes with executing the things the team wants a player to perform, if a players focus is on the draft and NHL scouts it won't be on what they are being asked to do for the Ottawa 67's. What is important coming into camp is that the players put in the effort over the last year plus while the league was shutdown and arrive at camp fully prepared to play the game the way the new Coaching staff asks for it to be played. It will become obvious very quickly who was on vacation.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The last thing this team or any other needs is a bunch of guys trying to grab bulls by horns and be a star.
Being a star comes with executing the things the team wants a player to perform, if a players focus is on the draft and NHL scouts it won't be on what they are being asked to do for the Ottawa 67's. What is important coming into camp is that the players put in the effort over the last year plus while the league was shutdown and arrive at camp fully prepared to play the game the way the new Coaching staff asks for it to be played. It will become obvious very quickly who was on vacation.

100%

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Just was told that there might be an announcement wednesday for the coaching situation. Before you ask that's all I got, no names.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

I agree and is that not what scouts are looking for the player not only does what the coach says but lives and breathes it. A player that plays both ways is what makes a star. It is not the kid that tries to do everything himself and gets nowhere.

I know it is not going to happen but how about Kevin Weekes as a coach.

Talk about work ethic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad