Ottawa 67's 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Let’s hope that Jan Egert and James Boyd have a great surprise up their sleeves for us.

Even though Cranley is great, I would happy take Leevi Merilainen for a year:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Great scoop from <a href="https://twitter.com/TSNSteveLloyd?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@TSNSteveLloyd</a> on Sens pick Leevi Merilainen, should go in the CHL import draft, maybe even to Kingston. If he can&#39;t play in the top Finnish league, the OHL is a much better option. <a href="https://twitter.com/TSN1200?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@TSN1200</a></p>&mdash; Shawn Simpson (@TSNSimmer) <a href="">June 30, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Best of luck Andre, you did a great job in Ottawa. Unfortunate for the Covid19 pandemic you might have brought the team to greater heights.

Reactions: Bob Barker

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
I wonder if the team will seek another head coach or just promote Duhamel.
I didnt mind Duhamels job when he was behind the bench.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The timing is right for a major coaching change with the team in the beginning stages of a rebuild of sorts. The team won’t be bad but they are looking very average right now. May as well have a new coach to walk them through it. I was surprised Tourigny took the Team Canada job because TI thought it was unlikely he’d finish that before moving to the NHL.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The fact that Ottawa passed on the second pick tells me that there a was no one they wanted or they have a commitment from the Russian ( sorry forgot name)/

As to coaching. It will be interesting I am wondering what assistant coaches at the AHL level would be interested in.

Would Mark Bell like a shot at coaching in Ottawa?

This is going to make for an interesting summer both for the 67's and the Canadian WJC/

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The fact that Ottawa passed on the second pick tells me that there a was no one they wanted or they have a commitment from the Russian ( sorry forgot name)/

As to coaching. It will be interesting I am wondering what assistant coaches at the AHL level would be interested in.

Would Mark Bell like a shot at coaching in Ottawa?

This is going to make for an interesting summer both for the 67's and the Canadian WJC/

Mt understanding is Gaidamak is signed or verbally committed and waiting for border crossing approval etc.

I assume you mean David Bell, not Mark Bell. He's an assistant in Belleville right now. I'd assume an OHL Head coach position would be higher paying than an AHL assistant.

Bell played in Ottawa with James Boyd and has a lot of oHL coaching experience so the fit may work. That said, i am sure there are a lot more high profile coaches willing to come to the 67s that carry a lot more experience and clout than David Bell would.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The timing is right for a major coaching change with the team in the beginning stages of a rebuild of sorts. The team won’t be bad but they are looking very average right now. May as well have a new coach to walk them through it. I was surprised Tourigny took the Team Canada job because TI thought it was unlikely he’d finish that before moving to the NHL.

If the ‘67s do not feel that they can compete with Hamilton & Kingston in the east; they may not want to add OAs, they may want to trade a graduating player at the deadline. But that does not indicate rebuild.
What would the ‘67s need to rebuild; another war chest of picks? In the past four drafts, the ‘67s have had 6(2, 3, 4, 5); an extra 8 picks by round 5. I don’t recall the team moving youth for vets the past few years. They moved ‘18-5th Maggio and brought in ‘18-2nd Robinson, and also moved ‘17-3rd Peric then added ‘19-5th LaForme. They should be loaded.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If the ‘67s do not feel that they can compete with Hamilton & Kingston in the east; they may not want to add OAs, they may want to trade a graduating player at the deadline. But that does not indicate rebuild.
What would the ‘67s need to rebuild; another war chest of picks? In the past four drafts, the ‘67s have had 6(2, 3, 4, 5); an extra 8 picks by round 5. I don’t recall the team moving youth for vets the past few years. They moved ‘18-5th Maggio and brought in ‘18-2nd Robinson, and also moved ‘17-3rd Peric then added ‘19-5th LaForme. They should be loaded.

The 67’s have a bit of a bind spot with their 2018 class. Although they did manage to use six players from that draft class (Maggio traded), none of them really turned out to be star types. They also used a couple 2nds on Dylan Robinson from the same draft class and never really got anything out of him either.

That means our current crop of 19 year olds, which are supposed to be the driving force of the team, are pretty much a flat group of players. That is not to say they are bad, just flat.

Adding to the fact our previous draft in 2017 produced NHL/AHL calibre level players that are not staying for OA seasons, and you have a situation where they have no star 19 or 20 year olds to help drive this team’s success.

Conversely, since the 2018 draft was somewhat flat, it does present options for next seasons OA options.

So, although I wouldn’t consider this season to be a traditional rebuild, I also don’t see the team selling off any players either. I think this year needs to be a wait and see what you have at the deadline sort of year. They have a lot of actual bodies that we would consider OHL calibre, more than enough to fill a roster this year AND next.

They are missing a 2nd round pick in 2023 I believe. It would be nice at some point to recoup a pick in that round but overall the team is not void of picks in any significant way. They just don’t have the buckets of picks stacked up for a future run with deadline moves.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The 67’s have a bit of a bind spot with their 2018 class. Although they did manage to use six players from that draft class (Maggio traded), none of them really turned out to be star types. They also used a couple 2nds on Dylan Robinson from the same draft class and never really got anything out of him either.

That means our current crop of 19 year olds, which are supposed to be the driving force of the team, are pretty much a flat group of players. That is not to say they are bad, just flat.

Adding to the fact our previous draft in 2017 produced NHL/AHL calibre level players that are not staying for OA seasons, and you have a situation where they have no star 19 or 20 year olds to help drive this team’s success.

Conversely, since the 2018 draft was somewhat flat, it does present options for next seasons OA options.

So, although I wouldn’t consider this season to be a traditional rebuild, I also don’t see the team selling off any players either. I think this year needs to be a wait and see what you have at the deadline sort of year. They have a lot of actual bodies that we would consider OHL calibre, more than enough to fill a roster this year AND next.

They are missing a 2nd round pick in 2023 I believe. It would be nice at some point to recoup a pick in that round but overall the team is not void of picks in any significant way. They just don’t have the buckets of picks stacked up for a future run with deadline moves.

I was just surprised to read ‘beginning of a rebuild’.
I agree the ‘67s 19-20 yr olds don’t compare favourably with Barrie, Hamilton, London, Windsor. But there should be good OA options among the ‘02 born; and overall, I think the ‘67s are rebuilt and pretty much loaded from 2018-2021 drafts.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I was just surprised to read ‘beginning of a rebuild’.
I agree the ‘67s 19-20 yr olds don’t compare favourably with Barrie, Hamilton, London, Windsor. But there should be good OA options among the ‘02 born; and overall, I think the ‘67s are rebuilt and pretty much loaded from 2018-2021 drafts.

There is zero value in my mind for making buyer moves this year at all. Adding OAs may improve their standing but would drain assets.

They need to play out this season and essentially get the ball rolling for next season. To me, this season sets up the next two seasons where the possibility exists they could have good teams.

The challenge is we don't know because we didn't play last year and the players we are looking at to lead the next two years were pretty much rookies when they played last. On top of that, they'll have a solid 11+ rookies being added to a roster of players with only one year in the League. It's really tough to place any significant level of expectation on performance projections next year and beyond.

Based on that, you really have to look at this season as a building year. It may not be a "rebuild" but when you consider the number of players on this years roster with less than 70 games played, you sort of start to understand where I am coming from, especially when you look at players like Tolnai, Robinson, Cranley, Costantini etc that comprise the 19 year old cohort and see they really aren't of high quality compared to past year's 19 year olds.

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
On most teams and there really will be 2 sets of rookies ,last years picks and this years picks.

Our 19 year olds are talented and just maybe 1 yr away will either surprise us all or be a big disappointment that they are no better then 2 years ago.

I predict that many teams will struggle to find their identity at first except teams like Kingston and Kitchener.
I predict Ottawa to be between 6 and 8th place in the east.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
On most teams and there really will be 2 sets of rookies ,last years picks and this years picks.

Our 19 year olds are talented and just maybe 1 yr away will either surprise us all or be a big disappointment that they are no better then 2 years ago.

I predict that many teams will struggle to find their identity at first except teams like Kingston and Kitchener.
I predict Ottawa to be between 6 and 8th place in the east.

There will be a tremendous amount of unknowns across the league.

The double rookie cohort will be somewhat of a challenge to navigate for all teams.

Add on the fact Ottawa will also have two rookie Imports as well as a rookie traded player (LaForme) and a veteran goalie that will really have his first year as a starter being backed up by a rookie and we can clealry see why this team may struggle out of the gate.

Tolnai may be the #1 Centre with Robinson on his wing but the reality is, no one can honestly say they are first line players based on their past performance. They are first line forwards based on age only. We could have much discussion about which players will combine to be their first line, that is for certain.

Gaidamak played in the under-18 tourney and based on that we'd expect him to slot in as the #1 centre based on pedigree. LaForme also has a chance to play that role!

Beck and Sirizzotti will also challenge for spots on the front line flanking one of the afformentioned centres as will Varga being the only OA candidate if he returns.

There's a heck of a lot of options and opportunities available. It will be fun to see how everything shakes down.

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
Kingston needs a coach. McFarland going to be part of the Seattle coaching staff. Kory Cooper named GM

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Our first rounder Chris Barlas has signed. Good news, nice to see a first rounder finally signed! Looking at you Nicholas.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad