Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
On another note Brock Otten has an interesting article on Hockey Prospects about 02/03 players who could be impact players. The 67's hacve 4 listed. Sirizzotti, Gill-Shane, Laforme and Donoso. Guess we have talent in the pipeline.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
First as he stated above Saggy might be right and we're over thinking this. For the sake of argument let's say Moldenhauer does not report. I disagree that nothing is lost because we have the comp pick (which I guess would be 21rst overall)?. Assuming we are building towards 21-22, 22-23 well Moldenhauer fits our window. A 21rst pick next year might not. An argument could be made that we would have two first rounders to dangle at the deadline to shore up the team but I'd rather have a first round talent as an 18 y.o..

I really don't think it matters very much either way. Having the player is better but not if the player is a guy like Tolnai. No offense to Tolnai but as it stands now, I'd rather have the 17 year old player picked as the comp pick in the following draft than have Tolnai. That may change this season if Tolnai breaks out but right now he projects as the 3rd line centre in a more defensive role.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I really don't think it matters very much either way. Having the player is better but not if the player is a guy like Tolnai. No offense to Tolnai but as it stands now, I'd rather have the 17 year old player picked as the comp pick in the following draft than have Tolnai. That may change this season if Tolnai breaks out but right now he projects as the 3rd line centre in a more defensive role.

It really does not matter that much if you look at this team. This year and next year. Moldenhauer was the best available player. We did not see how this was going to affect things and I am sure his parents are looking at things that are best for him. I think his parents actually are doing the right thing by their son. Looking at the team he has signed with they definitely seem to know how to develop talent for top tier universities. We also know that American university players are being drafted so it does not hurt his draft status. No matter what instead of getting at most 5 minutes a game (if he dresses) their son is going to get a lot of ice time.

Worst case scenario he does not get any tentative offers and then has the option to come to Ottawa a stronger and better player much like Sirrizzotti will this year. Or he shines and a top university like Boston makes him a tentative offer.

As for us either we get a player that has had a year against top-flight American teams playing good minutes or we get the 21 st first pick in the draft giving us a chance to pick up 3 top players for the team.

The only problem then is that we are again going to have very few spots open.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It really does not matter that much if you look at this team. This year and next year. Moldenhauer was the best available player. We did not see how this was going to affect things and I am sure his parents are looking at things that are best for him. I think his parents actually are doing the right thing by their son. Looking at the team he has signed with they definitely seem to know how to develop talent for top tier universities. We also know that American university players are being drafted so it does not hurt his draft status. No matter what instead of getting at most 5 minutes a game (if he dresses) their son is going to get a lot of ice time.

Worst case scenario he does not get any tentative offers and then has the option to come to Ottawa a stronger and better player much like Sirrizzotti will this year. Or he shines and a top university like Boston makes him a tentative offer.

As for us either we get a player that has had a year against top-flight American teams playing good minutes or we get the 21 st first pick in the draft giving us a chance to pick up 3 top players for the team.

It isn't quite that easy. The 67s need to extend an offer. moldenhauer needs to reject the offer.

At that point the 67s have the option to declare the player defected. They can then choose to:

1 - trade the player (provided another team wants him and he would report) and receive draft pick compensation plus the compensatory 21st selection next year
2- they can agree he won't report to any team and just take the comp
3- they can hold his rights until he ages out of the OHL.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

When do you need to claim him defected by to get the pick next year? It's definitely before the season ends. I'd assume its either at the trade deadline or the start of the season

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
The Tolnai example is a bit irrelevant to my point. I don't necessarily disagree with you on him but we'll see this year if he becomes a key top 6 player or if he reaches his ceiling as a good third line defensive center. Thing is with Moldenhauer is you don't know at this point how he turns out and as a first rounder odds are he could be an impact player as an 18 y.o. when we likely will be contenders. The odds of a seventeen y.o. having a similar impact that year are much lower. So I still say it's a clear negative if he does not report.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
When do you need to claim him defected by to get the pick next year? It's definitely before the season ends. I'd assume its either at the trade deadline or the start of the season

If you want to trade him and get the compensation pick PLUS the additional picks from he trade, it needs to be in a short window prior to the season.

There is a point later in the season, prior to the next draft where a team can release the player and receive the Compensatory pick. I am not sure what that date is but it is after the trade deadline.

They can also trade the player at the deadline but they wouldn’t get the Comp Pick.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Looking at the history of Ethan Werek the Fronts could not guarantee and had a crappy history of ice time for rookies. Therefore his father made a deal with Fronts that he would play one year of Junior and be ready to be a main cog in his second year.

The 67s sort of did that with Gil Shane and Sirrozzoti leaving them in a lower level to get ice time and skill.

This may be the case with Moldenhauer. It may also be a case of dad and agent thinking that if he shows well they can get a better deal next year and will have NHL Scouts and Universities looking at their son this year.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
This is for all the wanabe GM's LOL

What teams do you think would be an immediate fit (making the team) for Rossi.

I am hearing Detroit and Ottawa.

Also realizing it is a long shot same question for Quinn. He already has the size and people are saying he is the top goal scorer in the draft

Minnesota could use offense and you have to wonder about the luck Calgary has had with Monahan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
This is for all the wanabe GM's LOL

What teams do you think would be an immediate fit (making the team) for Rossi.

I am hearing Detroit and Ottawa.

Also realizing it is a long shot same question for Quinn. He already has the size and people are saying he is the top goal scorer in the draft

Minnesota could use offense and you have to wonder about the luck Calgary has had with Monahan

Rossi will simply have to make the team. I don’t think one team is much better than any other. HE won’t play a top 6 role anyway. I don’t see any teams in the top 6 or 7 that have three bonafide centres so if the team feels it is better for his development to play in a 4th line centre role, he will probably make that team without much resistance. IT will really come down to the team philosophy.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Rossi will simply have to make the team. I don’t think one team is much better than any other. HE won’t play a top 6 role anyway. I don’t see any teams in the top 6 or 7 that have three bonafide centres so if the team feels it is better for his development to play in a 4th line centre role, he will probably make that team without much resistance. IT will really come down to the team philosophy.

Where do you think he will go

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Where do you think he will go

Assuming the top 3 are Lafreniere, Byfield and Stutzle, I think Rossi goes #4 to Detroit. I don’t think many teams look at Perfetti as a Centre. Maybe they look at him as a potential centre but I think Detroit needs a bonafide Centre. Larkin is their #1. They have Joe Veleno coming up next season. HE should make an impact. After that it is Filppula? They went D-D in rounds one and two last year. I don’t think they will go Drysdale.

That leaves Drysdale for the Sens at #5.

Holtz, Raymond and Perfetti will go 6-7-8 in some order, I think.

After that, who knows?

If I had to guess, Quinn would go somewhere between 9 and 11.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Assuming the top 3 are Lafreniere, Byfield and Stutzle, I think Rossi goes #4 to Detroit. I don’t think many teams look at Perfetti as a Centre. Maybe they look at him as a potential centre but I think Detroit needs a bonafide Centre. Larkin is their #1. They have Joe Veleno coming up next season. HE should make an impact. After that it is Filppula? They went D-D in rounds one and two last year. I don’t think they will go Drysdale.

That leaves Drysdale for the Sens at #5.

Holtz, Raymond and Perfetti will go 6-7-8 in some order, I think.

After that, who knows?

If I had to guess, Quinn would go somewhere between 9 and 11.
Yeah I also have a feeling he's going to detroit. Thing about Rossi is he's the full deal, offense, face offs and defence ( overshadowed imo by his offensive gifts). The knock on him is his size and ability to compete physically as a center in the nhl. People forget he's 5'9" but almost 190 lbs. That's pretty solid and in the post clutch/grab nhl I suspect he'll be fine. I also think Quinn goes 8-12 ( damn OMG we agree on two in a row). Some team will be tempted by his natural goal scoring which is at a premium in the new NHL.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Hi Has anyone heard what the protocols are going to be for players from outside the country? For instance, are Euro players going to be allowed in Canada and if so what about the American players. Here we have hotels that are set aside as Quarantine locations where anyone coming into the country must go for 14 days and stay in quarantine. Once cleared they can then go do what they want.

It would seem that there must be a small hotel that is looking for a business that could be set up by the OHL for players coming into the country, for instance, you could have one is Ottawa and one in Toronto.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Sounds a lot like another 67 that would have been phenomenal if he did not get so many concussions.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Sounds a lot like another 67 that would have been phenomenal if he did not get so many concussions.

I’m not sure McCauley would have been a bonafide front line centre at the NHL level. I think his game would have translated really well to today’s game though.

I saw Alyn as that prototypical 2nd line centre that can put up points as well as kill penalties. HE proved that with his time in Toronto until his head issues became too much.

It is unfortunate he did have all those problems with concussions.

With respect to your equating him to Rossi, I think that part is probably not a great comparison. McCauley was a 4th round pick because he was lazy in his first couple years. It wasn’t until he got his eyes open where he started to turn up the heat. Rossi has been flying at 110% since he was a young boy. I m not too sure that is a fair comparison regarding dedication.

Reactions: NoQuit67s

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I’m not sure McCauley would have been a bonafide front line centre at the NHL level. I think his game would have translated really well to today’s game though.

I saw Alyn as that prototypical 2nd line centre that can put up points as well as kill penalties. HE proved that with his time in Toronto until his head issues became too much.

It is unfortunate he did have all those problems with concussions.

With respect to your equating him to Rossi, I think that part is probably not a great comparison. McCauley was a 4th round pick because he was lazy in his first couple years. It wasn’t until he got his eyes open where he started to turn up the heat. Rossi has been flying at 110% since he was a young boy. I m not too sure that is a fair comparison regarding dedication.

My comparison was not s0o much about where they ended up but the route that he and his family took.

Remember that his parents were at all of his games. They did all the long-distance driving when he was coming up. He was the star of the draft that year and unfortunately. The team went through the Peter Lee year where players were not returned that were supposed to be and never had a chance to live up to its level. Unfortunately before he got drafted he was part of the Boynton crowd and was more interested in the after game games. After his mom, dad and GF left for home.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
My comparison was not s0o much about where they ended up but the route that he and his family took.

Remember that his parents were at all of his games. They did all the long-distance driving when he was coming up. He was the star of the draft that year and unfortunately. The team went through the Peter Lee year where players were not returned that were supposed to be and never had a chance to live up to its level. Unfortunately before he got drafted he was part of the Boynton crowd and was more interested in the after game games. After his mom, dad and GF left for home.

Sorry Beast. I see no real comparison. The difference in Character alone is enough to stop the conversation.

I am not sure why you are talking about the “Boynton Crowd.” Boynton was a 16 year old rookie when McCauley won his first MVP at 18. I don’t think Boynton was pulling McCauley into post-game shenanigans.

That said, Alyn was a strong character once he got his eyes opened the hard way. He went on to win MVP the following two seasons and forced NJ Devils hands into trading him when he demanded first round compensation. Front hat point forward, he carried himself with a lot of dignity.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
PREDICTION TIME

ROSSI - Detroit seem to be the team most likely

QUINN - nashville is one choice I am going to say though that he may to New jersey

CRANLEY - not sure who but someone will take a flyer on him in the draft.

wHERE DO THE REST OF YOU THINK

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad