Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Solid points. IT will be an interesting season. I am not sure any team will really chase it this year with so much uncertainty.

I see both SSM and Oshawa as needing a more Bonafide starter. Andree would be an answer.

I am not sure if Ottawa is buying or selling. I think they may just stand pat for the most part. They have a solid team if Hoelscher returns and they can get both Imports signed. The defence is young and could use a veteran to eat some minutes but outside that they should be ok. Probably too good to sell and not good enough to buy.

All that said, attendance may not be a factor this year int he grand scheme of things so it is open season to trade off assets if there is a market for it.

The big question is how good is Oshawa going to be compared to us.

I agree that Boyd will stay the course but he is going to have to trade Andree or Cranley no matter what they do. That being said no matter if it is either Oshawa or SSM it will come back to bite us in teh playoffs.

This is on paper a team that can compete. We have a solid group of forwards coming to play. We have a young but I think eager defence and a goalie that I think in Cranley we can win with.

Do not forget that we also have a lot of NHL draft-eligible players on the team this year that will be wanting to shine and show their stuff.
If I am not wrong
Sirrizotti
Johnston
Beck
Gil Shane
Matier

are all draft-eligible

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Interestingly no mention of Clarke. He also was not included in Brock Otten's top 25 OHL prospects. Consensus seems to be his skating is an issue. I thought his stride was more powerful when he returned from injury but still lacks that first step. Hopefully these articles motivate him. That being said him missing most of the year didn't help his visibility.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Interestingly no mention of Clarke. He also was not included in Brock Otten's top 25 OHL prospects. Consensus seems to be his skating is an issue. I thought his stride was more powerful when he returned from injury but still lacks that first step. Hopefully these articles motivate him. That being said him missing most of the year didn't help his visibility.

I think this article was players that could make the team or the AHLthis year

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The big question is how good is Oshawa going to be compared to us.

I agree that Boyd will stay the course but he is going to have to trade Andree or Cranley no matter what they do. That being said no matter if it is either Oshawa or SSM it will come back to bite us in teh playoffs.

This is on paper a team that can compete. We have a solid group of forwards coming to play. We have a young but I think eager defence and a goalie that I think in Cranley we can win with.

Do not forget that we also have a lot of NHL draft-eligible players on the team this year that will be wanting to shine and show their stuff.
If I am not wrong
Sirrizotti
Johnston
Beck
Gil Shane
Matier

are all draft-eligible

No one knows what Oshawa WILL look like. We only know what they look like now which isn’t a World Beater by any stretch. Maybe not even the best team in the East going into the season. I still have them at #1 but I know many don’t.

I still think Perfetti will end up in Oshawa. There will be other moves on top of this one so.....

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
No one knows what Oshawa WILL look like. We only know what they look like now which isn’t a World Beater by any stretch. Maybe not even the best team in the East going into the season. I still have them at #1 but I know many don’t.

I still think Perfetti will end up in Oshawa. There will be other moves on top of this one so.....
I would be shocked if Saginaw traded Perfetti this year. They got Suzuki for a two year run and will be one of the top teams in the west. He might be traded the year after if he comes back as a 19 y.o.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I would be shocked if Saginaw traded Perfetti this year. They got Suzuki for a two year run and will be one of the top teams in the west. He might be traded the year after if he comes back as a 19 y.o.

I dunno. A lot of grumbling about Perfetti to Oshawa at the time of his signing, specifically for the Memorial Cup run. Maybe I just like a cool story.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I dunno. A lot of grumbling about Perfetti to Oshawa at the time of his signing, specifically for the Memorial Cup run. Maybe I just like a cool story.
Yes I remember those rumblings but they seemed to originate from Oshawa fans. Don't remember exactly but there was a link to the Tullio family, sons played together or something. That being said there is the small detail that Saginaw would have to agree to a trade! Can you imagine the cost?Would be at least what they paid for Tomassino. Not sure Oshawa has the assets after they gave up a second and a third today. They'd certainly need to include their first pick this year, another player and picks but still makes no sense for Saginaw imo.

Reactions: NOA

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Yes I remember those rumblings but they seemed to originate from Oshawa fans. Don't remember exactly but there was a link to the Tullio family, sons played together or something. That being said there is the small detail that Saginaw would have to agree to a trade! Can you imagine the cost?Would be at least what they paid for Tomassino. Not sure Oshawa has the assets after they gave up a second and a third today. They'd certainly need to include their first pick this year, another player and picks but still makes no sense for Saginaw imo.
Saginaw will surely be a top 2/3 team in the West. You would think they actually try to go for it with a top talent like Perfetti, or else when will they?

Plus as mentioned that cost would be insane. The East is open right now for whatever team wants to spend the assets

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Saginaw will surely be a top 2/3 team in the West. You would think they actually try to go for it with a top talent like Perfetti, or else when will they?

Plus as mentioned that cost would be insane. The East is open right now for whatever team wants to spend the assets

I’m not sure they are that deep. Up front they have Suzuki and Perfetti. They have two graduating OA’s in Busdeker and Coskey that are hard to replace. They have five solid OA potentials so most likely three OA’s will return up front. They have a couple middling type players to help deepen the lineup but really, outside Suzuki, Perfetti and Giroux, no one else is considered impactful. Maybe one or two of the others will make a leap forward but maybe they won’t.

Lennox in net? Ummmm Maybe? I wouldn’t consider him better than maybe inside the top 10 for starters.

Of last year’s seven D-Men, they are likely to return three. Maybe four if they keep King but take one of the other forwards away then.

They have a couple high end elite players but you can’t win with two lines and three D-Men.

They do have two new Import picks but I really don’t know a lot about them. Also, will Fantilli make an impact in year one?

I see a lot of holes. Plus how will playing in the USA or maybe having to cross the border and play in a billet city impact the team?

In all fairness, players do make leaps forward and some of their forwards will get minutes this year they didn’t get before so they may very well rise into the point per game front heir half point per game last season.

We’ll see what happens. I think their overall lack of depth will get exposed against the stronger teams.

Reactions: NOA

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG on paper I think Ottawa is going to be a contender.

A lot will depend on how the second-year players play and the Euro players fit in. BUT they have a solid core and a first line that is going to be hard to beat.

As to Perfetti gong to Oshawa, I do not see anything happening until the trade deadline and it will depend on 2 things.

1. Is Saginaw competitive
2. What is the offer

There is one other thing that has not been addressed by the CHL.

If the borders are not opened by November how are they going to operate with the U.S. Teams?

Canadian players will not be able to go to the states and the American players will have to undergo 1-day quarantine at best.

Then when we get to the regular season traveling is going to suck.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG on paper I think Ottawa is going to be a contender.

A lot will depend on how the second-year players play and the Euro players fit in. BUT they have a solid core and a first line that is going to be hard to beat.

As to Perfetti gong to Oshawa, I do not see anything happening until the trade deadline and it will depend on 2 things.

1. Is Saginaw competitive
2. What is the offer

There is one other thing that has not been addressed by the CHL.

If the borders are not opened by November how are they going to operate with the U.S. Teams?

Canadian players will not be able to go to the states and the American players will have to undergo 1-day quarantine at best.

Then when we get to the regular season traveling is going to suck.

This is a lot to unpack. I will try my best...

1> Ottawa as a contender.
For that to be true, they need Hoelscher to officially return as an OA. They need both Imports to not only sign but make an impact. Or, Rossi needs to somehow return which isn’t likely. They definitely need a veteran D-Man added. He needs to at least be as good as Rippon to make a difference. It also means they likely keep Andree. IF you are a contender, you have to keep your proven starter.

2> Perfetti to Oshawa. First, Oshawa needs to be named the Host of the Memorial Cup. Second, we need to see where Perfetti gets drafted. Many will suggest he is a two year 18 year old. I’m not thinking he is back next season. Depending on the team that drafts him, he is somewhat likely to be in early NHL entry player. As such, his value will be as a 19 year old plus conditional picks in the same manner Konecny was when we traded him to Sarnia. We’ll see if Saginaw is a contender but I think they need to make many more additions to catch up to SSM. They have seven 2000 born players that all contributed last year. They can keep 3. They lose their three impact OA’s as well. So they are graduating seven players and turning over both Import positions to new players and we all know what a challenge that can be.

3> US based teams. You are correct regarding the Border closure. I think the border will be open well before the start of the OHL Season; however, it is likely there will be quarantine measures in place. I assume pro sports will have some sort of exemption of some kind by then depending on their SOP’s. That said, I cannot see OHL teams getting treated as pro’s. I don’t think it is practical using Billet Families as part of your SOP’s and that satisfying the Gov’t for lifting quarantine measures. Therefore, it is likely the teams will need to play out of “billet cities.” There are positives and negatives to that scenario. In the end, it is still hockey and the players mostly move away from home anyway so it shouldn’t be a big deal. Look at it like a relocation...Belleville moving to Hamilton, for example.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
This is a lot to unpack. I will try my best...

1> Ottawa as a contender.
For that to be true, they need Hoelscher to officially return as an OA. They need both Imports to not only sign but make an impact. Or, Rossi needs to somehow return which isn’t likely. They definitely need a veteran D-Man added. He needs to at least be as good as Rippon to make a difference. It also means they likely keep Andree. IF you are a contender, you have to keep your proven starter.

2> Perfetti to Oshawa. First, Oshawa needs to be named the Host of the Memorial Cup. Second, we need to see where Perfetti gets drafted. Many will suggest he is a two year 18 year old. I’m not thinking he is back next season. Depending on the team that drafts him, he is somewhat likely to be in early NHL entry player. As such, his value will be as a 19 year old plus conditional picks in the same manner Konecny was when we traded him to Sarnia. We’ll see if Saginaw is a contender but I think they need to make many more additions to catch up to SSM. They have seven 2000 born players that all contributed last year. They can keep 3. They lose their three impact OA’s as well. So they are graduating seven players and turning over both Import positions to new players and we all know what a challenge that can be.

3> US based teams. You are correct regarding the Border closure. I think the border will be open well before the start of the OHL Season; however, it is likely there will be quarantine measures in place. I assume pro sports will have some sort of exemption of some kind by then depending on their SOP’s. That said, I cannot see OHL teams getting treated as pro’s. I don’t think it is practical using Billet Families as part of your SOP’s and that satisfying the Gov’t for lifting quarantine measures. Therefore, it is likely the teams will need to play out of “billet cities.” There are positives and negatives to that scenario. In the end, it is still hockey and the players mostly move away from home anyway so it shouldn’t be a big deal. Look at it like a relocation...Belleville moving to Hamilton, for example.

I agree but the fact that he did not sign with anyone and they are not going to have normal training camps there really is nowhere for him to go. I think that will give us the best frist line in the league possibly. I am also looking at someone coming out of left field and putting on a show ala Quinn.

I agree the Euros if they report are going to make a difference and be the deciding thing.

Perfetti is a crap shoot for an OHL team. If SSM gets the M Cup then they may want to take a run and see if they can be the top second team.

Are you thinking that U.S. teams may have to play out of Canadian cities this year if there is still a border issue. That could be interesting. I can not see a team that is going to the U.S. to play 3 games having to sit at home for 14 days after they play. This in fact may screw the whole season if the Americans can not get control of the virus.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree but the fact that he did not sign with anyone and they are not going to have normal training camps there really is nowhere for him to go. I think that will give us the best frist line in the league possibly. I am also looking at someone coming out of left field and putting on a show ala Quinn.

I agree the Euros if they report are going to make a difference and be the deciding thing.

Perfetti is a crap shoot for an OHL team. If SSM gets the M Cup then they may want to take a run and see if they can be the top second team.

Are you thinking that U.S. teams may have to play out of Canadian cities this year if there is still a border issue. That could be interesting. I can not see a team that is going to the U.S. to play 3 games having to sit at home for 14 days after they play. This in fact may screw the whole season if the Americans can not get control of the virus.

There is a lot of discussion on the US based teams and how it will impact the league. Some proposals have the US based teams playing each other a lot over the first month and not crossing the border until January.

I am not sure there is a viable answer at this point. Until the Pandemic is over, anyone crossing the border into Canada will face a 14 day quarantine. That will not change when the land border reopens. IT will likely remain until the Pandemic is over. That won’t happen until at least the end of next spring.

Some exemptions can and will be made but even the Blue Jays couldn’t do it. Factor is the OHL has a plan to continue using Billet families to house players. That in itself makes it 100% impossible to create an environment that either country will accept border crossing without quarantine.

If the US based teams are to participate in the league this season, I firmly believe there is no other option than relocating them for a season.

Regarding the Ottawa 67’s roster depth, I firmly believe they need both Imports report and play a significant role. Simontaival will stretch the scoring to two lines. With Quinn and Clarke, we would have three elite scoring wingers. Gaidamak gives the 67’s a 3rd real centre that they wouldn’t have if they weren’t able to sign him.

They need the Imports to play to be considered a potential contender.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
There is a lot of discussion on the US based teams and how it will impact the league. Some proposals have the US based teams playing each other a lot over the first month and not crossing the border until January.

I am not sure there is a viable answer at this point. Until the Pandemic is over, anyone crossing the border into Canada will face a 14 day quarantine. That will not change when the land border reopens. IT will likely remain until the Pandemic is over. That won’t happen until at least the end of next spring.

Some exemptions can and will be made but even the Blue Jays couldn’t do it. Factor is the OHL has a plan to continue using Billet families to house players. That in itself makes it 100% impossible to create an environment that either country will accept border crossing without quarantine.

If the US based teams are to participate in the league this season, I firmly believe there is no other option than relocating them for a season.

Regarding the Ottawa 67’s roster depth, I firmly believe they need both Imports report and play a significant role. Simontaival will stretch the scoring to two lines. With Quinn and Clarke, we would have three elite scoring wingers. Gaidamak gives the 67’s a 3rd real centre that they wouldn’t have if they weren’t able to sign him.

They need the Imports to play to be considered a potential contender.

Agreed on all points.

It is going to be an interesting season. The other alternative would be to bring the U.S. teams quarantine and then play in Ontario

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Yes beat me to the punch BP. Yes it did sound like our first two picks have commited despite no official announcements. Good as I was afraid the 67's would be extinct by 2023. It also made me more optimistic that we might land a few of our american flyers. Peterson in particular would provide an immediate upgrade and he does have Ottawa connections. Interesting Ambrosio was not alluded to as I always thought he might be the most likely to report but I guess he's a pretty solid NCAA commit. Also confirmed Gaydamack is coming and I got the impression Simontaival was a possibility. The other thing that caught my interest is the constant allusion to the "program" by not only the brass but the players (Rippon/Quinn). The question being imo, has the success of the last two years been due to talent or the "program" or most likely both. I would submit that despite the obvious talent of the last two editions that the stucture and coaching was critical especially last year where all things considered we overachieved in view of our youth up front imho.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yes beat me to the punch BP. Yes it did sound like our first two picks have commited despite no official announcements. Good as I was afraid the 67's would be extinct by 2023. It also made me more optimistic that we might land a few of our american flyers. Peterson in particular would provide an immediate upgrade and he does have Ottawa connections. Interesting Ambrosio was not alluded to as I always thought he might be the most likely to report but I guess he's a pretty solid NCAA commit. Also confirmed Gaydamack is coming and I got the impression Simontaival was a possibility. The other thing that caught my interest is the constant allusion to the "program" by not only the brass but the players (Rippon/Quinn). The question being imo, has the success of the last two years been due to talent or the "program" or most likely both. I would submit that despite the obvious talent of the last two editions that the stucture and coaching was critical especially last year where all things considered we overachieved in view of our youth up front imho.

I didn’t exactly hear the same things you did.

1> The NCAA players were mentioned but not from the perspective other than maybe they’d consider reporting IF the NCAA route is blocked this year. Also, Boyd seemed to have a moment of pause when he was naming the players like he had to think about their names. I don’t think he was mentioning any player specifically based on their chances of suiting up in Ottawa.
2> The “program” is the foundation from which the athlete is born. Players now come to Ottawa with skill and a goal. The “Program” instils the tools and road map to follow to translate their skill into athletic success. I think this particular offering by the 67’s will make a significant difference in recruiting. They are clearly preparing high performance athletes. IF a player is willing to work hard and follow the Program, they will achieve their maximum potential, whatever that level is.
3> I doubt the players have signed. I think they have verbally committed. There is no benefit for the players to sign. They may as well leave their options open just in case there is no OHL season.
4> I found it interesting Boyd mentioned Gaidamak as a big body skilled player that will fit in and make an impact. That bodes well if he is right.
5> HE did mention Rossi and int he same sentence, Simontaival. It made me think they are keeping the spot open for Rossi jsut in case and if not,t he offer will be extended to Simontaival. Whether Simontaival has given any indication of reporting is another story.

IT would be great if they managed to sign a kid like Peterson but I highly doubt they do. Peterson doesn’t seem to have Professional Hockey aspirations. From what I understand, he has a scholastic focus. Dunno about Bradley. Ambrosio may have the highest impact of the three. IT will be interesting to see what Peterson does this year from a performance perspective. Will he get drafted early? Not sure anyone is going to jump on him with his lack of overall performance. The injury really set him back I think. I think probably around the late 4th to early 5th is more likely.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I didn’t exactly hear the same things you did.

1> The NCAA players were mentioned but not from the perspective other than maybe they’d consider reporting IF the NCAA route is blocked this year. Also, Boyd seemed to have a moment of pause when he was naming the players like he had to think about their names. I don’t think he was mentioning any player specifically based on their chances of suiting up in Ottawa.
2> The “program” is the foundation from which the athlete is born. Players now come to Ottawa with skill and a goal. The “Program” instils the tools and road map to follow to translate their skill into athletic success. I think this particular offering by the 67’s will make a significant difference in recruiting. They are clearly preparing high performance athletes. IF a player is willing to work hard and follow the Program, they will achieve their maximum potential, whatever that level is.
3> I doubt the players have signed. I think they have verbally committed. There is no benefit for the players to sign. They may as well leave their options open just in case there is no OHL season.
4> I found it interesting Boyd mentioned Gaidamak as a big body skilled player that will fit in and make an impact. That bodes well if he is right.
5> HE did mention Rossi and int he same sentence, Simontaival. It made me think they are keeping the spot open for Rossi jsut in case and if not,t he offer will be extended to Simontaival. Whether Simontaival has given any indication of reporting is another story.

IT would be great if they managed to sign a kid like Peterson but I highly doubt they do. Peterson doesn’t seem to have Professional Hockey aspirations. From what I understand, he has a scholastic focus. Dunno about Bradley. Ambrosio may have the highest impact of the three. IT will be interesting to see what Peterson does this year from a performance perspective. Will he get drafted early? Not sure anyone is going to jump on him with his lack of overall performance. The injury really set him back I think. I think probably around the late 4th to early 5th is more likely.
I guess it's how you interpret Boyd's words. To me just the fact he mentionned it tells me there is a possibility but I still see it as a bonus rather than an expectation. As for Peterson on elite prospects the five ranking services have him ranked second/third round so I doubt he goes 4/5 th. Didn't realize he was injured so might actually go higher if a team feels it mitigated his performance this year. However it's not typical for an nhl team to push their second/third rounders to the O to accelerate their development as much as a first rounder and clear nhl player. They are often content to give them more time to develop in the ncaa. I do agree they seemed to be keeping a spot for Rossi which is strange as with everything that was said it really seemed he was done with the O. Boy it would be fun to have him another year though!

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG I know we have talked about this from our perspective But I still think that while we may not think Simontaival can make a pro team be it NHL or AHL. Therefore he will probably be noncommittal. Also if there is even a 2% chance that Rossi might be back the 67s have to keep that spot open for him until at least after the draft when they know for sure what is happening. It may be that Rossi and his NHL team look at Ottawa decide that it is worth it for him to come back here instead of going back to Europe. Remember that if he goes to play in Europe and the NHL team wants him to come back for either the AHL or NHL playoffs they will then have to deal with border restrictions and the unknown. So it may be in his interest to stay in Canada and play here.

So the fact that Simontaival has not committed may be due to Boyd not sure of Rossi.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I guess it's how you interpret Boyd's words. To me just the fact he mentionned it tells me there is a possibility but I still see it as a bonus rather than an expectation. As for Peterson on elite prospects the five ranking services have him ranked second/third round so I doubt he goes 4/5 th. Didn't realize he was injured so might actually go higher if a team feels it mitigated his performance this year. However it's not typical for an nhl team to push their second/third rounders to the O to accelerate their development as much as a first rounder and clear nhl player. They are often content to give them more time to develop in the ncaa. I do agree they seemed to be keeping a spot for Rossi which is strange as with everything that was said it really seemed he was done with the O. Boy it would be fun to have him another year though!

Sirius there is always a chance or possibility that an NCAA bound player comes here. This year it will be interesting to see what the NCAA full-ride or partial ride scholarships work like. If hockey follows the other sports there may not be any hockey this year so do the rookies still get their scholarship?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Ottawa will retain Rossi's rights even if both of the others report. If Rossi is sent back, Ottawa can decide then who they are keeping and who they are waiving.

Reactions: sirius67fan

sakic 19

Jan 3, 2013
According to Scott wheeler on Twitter. He says After speaking with agent and family Rossi will not be signing a pro contract to play in Europe. He will focus on training and prepare to make the NHL for whichever team drafts him. If I was computer savvy I would post the tweet. But I’m just no. Would That not make Ottawa a top team if sent back to the 67s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad