Ottawa 67's 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Now that shoe has dropped, we can start to look forward.

I think Sam saw the writing on the wall. He is an important piece BUT after a few additions, he’d be back on the 3rd line.

I knew if it were him traded that we wouldn’t get very much. HE is definitely worth more on our roster than he was in trade value, that is for certain.

So, this opens a hole in our top 6. I assume it will be filled by an OA acquisition. The problem is that acquisition will probably cost a lot more than a 3rd and 5th.

I can’t see any internal candidates claim the 2nd line LW spot. We will see how well Yule progressed over the summer but I can’t see it right now. I’ve been surprised before though.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well I’m not surprised they have started to make space in order to acquire at least two top forwards.
I was disappointed that Maggio is gone.
The next moves I see are Yule, Wilson and I’m not sure Crete will crack the line up this year.
We have a lot of talent chomping to get a chance.
I also wouldn’t be shocked if Tolnai was traded , he hasn’t shown me much in his first year.

With only 11 forwards plus Dick, I can’t see a situation where Crete doesn’t crack the lineup as the 4th line centre. We have no other natural centres. So, unless the team manages to get a couple of their NCAA commits to forego their commitments and sign with the 67’s, or they make some serious volume trades soon, Crete will probably line up as the 4th line centre.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Well I’m not surprised they have started to make space in order to acquire at least two top forwards.
I was disappointed that Maggio is gone.
The next moves I see are Yule, Wilson and I’m not sure Crete will crack the line up this year.
We have a lot of talent chomping to get a chance.
I also wouldn’t be shocked if Tolnai was traded , he hasn’t shown me much in his first year.
I do disagree about Tolnai. Not that he can't be traded as anything is possible such as asking out. I do think he showed enough in his first year though. I do agree his offensive numbers were lower than I hoped but I thought he'd get way more icetime. He came into a team that peaked and combine with the arrival of Rossi he got limited mostly 4rth line minutes. Despite this he still had 13 points. On the positive he was good on face offs for a 16 y.o. and played well defensively. Also competed well physically as he's a big kid and we need that. He showed good hockey sense imo also. His skating although not a strenght improved a lot by the end of the year. I would not trade him as I think he's gonna be a very good OHL'er. Barring acquisitions I'd start him at left wing on our second line and see what he can do. I think he profiles well on the wing with his size and with Bitten gone we have a need there.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Now that shoe has dropped, we can start to look forward.

I think Sam saw the writing on the wall. He is an important piece BUT after a few additions, he’d be back on the 3rd line.

I knew if it were him traded that we wouldn’t get very much. HE is definitely worth more on our roster than he was in trade value, that is for certain.

So, this opens a hole in our top 6. I assume it will be filled by an OA acquisition. The problem is that acquisition will probably cost a lot more than a 3rd and 5th.

I can’t see any internal candidates claim the 2nd line LW spot. We will see how well Yule progressed over the summer but I can’t see it right now. I’ve been surprised before though.
Agreed I am disappointed at the return as he's a good player but the market rules I guess. 67's also probably wanted to do right for a good local kid so I'm OK with that.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Agreed I am disappointed at the return as he's a good player but the market rules I guess. 67's also probably wanted to do right for a good local kid so I'm OK with that.

It really accentuates the fact you can shop cheaper in the pre-season.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Keating Rossi Clark
Yule Hoelscher Quinn
Beck Tolnai Clarke
Johnston Crete Sirizotti
Dick

Clark won't be back for an overage year.

I don't see any of the 16 year olds as viable top 9 forwards.

The question is more whether Yule can play top 6 and replace Bitten. I'd say the chances of that are somewhat slim.

We will definitly need to acquire a top 9 forward. Training camp and preseason will probably help determine whether we need a top 6 or top 9. I think with Bitten gone, we need a top 6 and most likely an overage LW if possible.

If we truely want to compete, we would also need a RW on the 3rd line.

If we are relying mostly on defense and goaltending, we can get away with two scoring lines provided the top line is dominant. We can scrimp a little on the 3rd line but using 16 year olds is never usually a good idea unless they are high end first rounders.

Reactions: dirty12

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
How about Trying Hoef on left wing. He's strong, skates well and can shoot. We still have him for PP. Knock on him is his edges defensively so I wonder if he'd be open to it to maybe give a new slant to his career? Then we still trade Wilson and replace him with an OA forward. We then have on D
Bahl/Peric
Okhotiuk/Rippon....shutdown pair
Belanger/Matier

Keeps Peric happy and if injury strikes we have quite the insurance policy on D.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Don't be surprised to see Ottawa and Sarnia make another deal down the road. Sarnia has two great options to fill your OA forward void. Sarnia is slated to make a run next year and is in need of some assets in the draft pick cupboard to beef up the line up next season. I'd imagine McGregor or Josling would fit in very nicely for you guys. McGregor being one of, if not the most sought after OA on the market if Sarnia decides to move him.

We are still trying to recover from getting absolutely violated on the TK deal a few years ago :help:

Reactions: BarberPole9

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
How about Trying Hoef on left wing. He's strong, skates well and can shoot. We still have him for PP. Knock on him is his edges defensively so I wonder if he'd be open to it to maybe give a new slant to his career? Then we still trade Wilson and replace him with an OA forward. We then have on D
Bahl/Peric
Okhotiuk/Rippon....shutdown pair
Belanger/Matier

Keeps Peric happy and if injury strikes we have quite the insurance policy on D.

That one may be a bit of a stretch. There is some logic there though. Clearly if Hoef returns it is because no one values him enough as a D-Man. It's not like this sort of move has never happened. We'd usually see it starting major junior. That said, it seems to have worked for Big Buff.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I was not sure about Clark. You are right he will not be back.

I actually think this camp is going to be good for competition at forward there are at least 4 places open

People are going to get a chance to prove themselves. Then we can see what we have.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I was not sure about Clark. You are right he will not be back.

I actually think this camp is going to be good for competition at forward there are at least 4 places open

People are going to get a chance to prove themselves. Then we can see what we have.

I disagree. I don't believe there are any real spots open. They don't seem to have anyone from previous drafts. They have the three kids they drafted this year that, based on numbers, seem like a lock. We know they will acquire another OA forward or at least a high functioning 19 year old to replace Bitten in the top 6 (or at least it looks like that).

They may have to deal Peric and if they do they will most likely bring a forward back.

Just because spots are available it doesn't mean there is competition for them. We simply don't have the guys in the system from previous drafts to truely compete. So unless a walk-on invite lights it up and unseats one of the guys from this past drat (possible), there really won't be much to talk about with respect to any battles.

In many previous years they didn't sign so many players. They left a couple contracts open to see what would happen at camp. But they did sign their top 5 draft picks already. These guys were all highly rated and picked fairly high so I just cannot see anyone picked this past draft that would unseat the guys already signed.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I am an admittedly somewhat casual 67's fan who doesn't follow the team and league nearly as closely as OMG67 or others here, so I defer to your knowledge. The Bitten trade - what the heck? The kid is 19, not 20, a very productive player and a local kid to boot who seemed to fit in very well with the organization. And he was traded for a handful of magic beans? I don't get it. Is there something we don't know, another shoe to drop on a player acquisition, etc.? On the surface, this trade looks like a, "Thanks for letting us fleece you on the Konecny deal a while back" reward to Sarnia...

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I am an admittedly somewhat casual 67's fan who doesn't follow the team and league nearly as closely as OMG67 or others here, so I defer to your knowledge. The Bitten trade - what the heck? The kid is 19, not 20, a very productive player and a local kid to boot who seemed to fit in very well with the organization. And he was traded for a handful of magic beans? I don't get it. Is there something we don't know, another shoe to drop on a player acquisition, etc.? On the surface, this trade looks like a, "Thanks for letting us fleece you on the Konecny deal a while back" reward to Sarnia...
Apparently he asked out, simple as that but return yes a bit disappointing.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015

It’s not rocket science. He’s slotted in as a 2nd line winger or 3rd line centre. He’s played centre all his life and, frankly, is more effective there than on the wing. He obviously sees something on the Sarnia depth chart, or has assurances there, that makes him believe he’s got a top-6 spot at centre.

Something you guys may not consider: you expect an Ottawa kid to want to play in Ottawa. Part of the OHL experience is playing and living away from home. Maybe he has a girlfriend in Ottawa he wants to get away from. Maybe he has a girlfriend in Sarnia. Maybe Sarnia offers him some other opportunity.

This is an example of a 19 year old kid spreading his wings.

The return is the return. It might have been better for Ottawa to get a roster player of a similar ilk: an 18 or 19 year old who needed a change to possibly reach their potential but that didn’t happen.

All the best to Sam in Sarnia. He does like to tango so I won’t miss either game against the Sting this season. That’s for sure.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Tghe problem with trades that are requested by the player is that the other team then has the upper hand in the deal. It is very rare to get top dollar for a player that wants out.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Bitten 13g, 22a was traded for a 3rd & 5th and Uba 19g, 23a was traded for a 3rd & *5th. The 2019-20 price for 2-way middle of line up 19 yr old F with OA potential may be set.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I don't know what we expected to get for Sam Bitten as he is not an elite top end forward. He is an functional OHL player who can provide some experience to a younger team.

I for one am not a Bitten fan and as a 19 yr. old he was probably going to end up on the 3rd. line. Let one of the new kids we drafted this year play and gain valuable OHL minutes. Then use those draft picks we received towards our goal of picking up a couple of quality forwards.

An elite player would be difficult to obtain full value if teams knew he wanted out, but I feel Bitten's deal is as expected.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Bitten 13g, 22a was traded for a 3rd & 5th and Uba 19g, 23a was traded for a 3rd & *5th. The 2019-20 price for 2-way middle of line up 19 yr old F with OA potential may be set.

Agreed. When I was discussing the potential of it being Bitten that requested the trade, I said he would be way more valuable to us on our roster than the trade value. Oh well, it is whaat it is.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't know what we expected to get for Sam Bitten as he is not an elite top end forward. He is an functional OHL player who can provide some experience to a younger team.

I for one am not a Bitten fan and as a 19 yr. old he was probably going to end up on the 3rd. line. Let one of the new kids we drafted this year play and gain valuable OHL minutes. Then use those draft picks we received towards our goal of picking up a couple of quality forwards.

An elite player would be difficult to obtain full value if teams knew he wanted out, but I feel Bitten's deal is as expected.

I think that may be slightly short sighted. It is true he probably would have ended up as a winger on the 3rd line. However, I looked at him as a potential 50 point Guy this year with the potential to be a really solid OA forward pushing a point per game.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
OHLInsiders
@OHLinsiders

·
17h
67's still working on this as the player has in fact requested his move. Haven't heard much more than that but Peric impressed at Canucks Development Camp.
Quote Tweet
CauqAR0N_normal.jpg

OHLInsiders
@OHLInsiders
· May 28
Also hearing Ottawa #67s D Lucas Peric will be asking for a move, if he hasn't already. With the #67s expecting their entire D group back next year, the 01 born Georgetown native will look for a bigger role elsewhere. #OHL

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I think that may be slightly short sighted. It is true he probably would have ended up as a winger on the 3rd line. However, I looked at him as a potential 50 point Guy this year with the potential to be a really solid OA forward pushing a point per game.
Short sighted or not, if he does'nt want to be here then ship him out. We received the same basic compensation as Flint got for Eric Uba. No need in holding on to a disgruntled individual.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Keeping Peric and trading Wilson is s non-starter.
First,if Hoef is back Wilson is gone.
2nd if hoef is back the Peric becomes a 3rd pairing D

He is better with a team that will give him 2nd line minutes and let him show what he really has. Peric is in the same boat that Bitten was in too many people on the pile ahead of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad