Ottawa 67's 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
i do agree if they keep most of their current D its the logical development path. But when is the last time you saw a first rounder be sent down?

I know a handful that should have!

All seriousness aside, when they drafted Matier, they called him a project. That usually means loads of practice with the 67s and games with Jr A. So he'd theoreticallt play games only with the affiliate but practice with the 67s. I can see that if he is the #8 D-Man 100%.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Oh for the old days when Killer could just call Mav and trade a layer for picks pucks and a 24.

I think that once the smoke clears you are going to see a few D traded on this team. As has been stated we need forwards and have a glut on the back end. To my simple thinking, the solution is trading defence for forwards.

Bahl and Ohkytuk are here no matter what. Bahl for his ability and leadership and Ok because Mav is not here anymore and you can not trade beer in the OHL anymore.

I think everyone else is fair game if the offer is right and would not be too upset if they traded 2 players.

This isn ot the year to go for it but it is the year to see what we got and what we need also when it comes to the M CUP host we have to show that next yers line up is good enough and the only way to do that is play players that will be here.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
They've been marketing the fact they are returning their whole defence from last year. There will not be any mass exodus of D-Man trades.

I can see them dealing Wilson, only because of OA issues if Hoefenmeyer does return which looks very likely at this point. I can also see Peric dealt if he doesn't report. Outside that I cannot see any other deals until the deadline dependent on the success of the team.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
They've been marketing the fact they are returning their whole defence from last year. There will not be any mass exodus of D-Man trades.

I can see them dealing Wilson, only because of OA issues if Hoefenmeyer does return which looks very likely at this point. I can also see Peric dealt if he doesn't report. Outside that I cannot see any other deals until the deadline dependent on the success of the team.
You're likely correct but man I don't want Peric to go, they need to find a way to keep him.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Keeping a player like Peric to slot into a 6/7 role is really a misuse of resources. Not saying he’s the one that should go, but the team has needs at other positions. Either develop the player or move him, he’ll never be the player he’s capable of being sitting on the bench. The team is only forcing his hand unnecessarily by sitting on him this way.

Reactions: Finster8

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Keeping a player like Peric to slot into a 6/7 role is really a misuse of resources. Not saying he’s the one that should go, but the team has needs at other positions. Either develop the player or move him, he’ll never be the player he’s capable of being sitting on the bench. The team is only forcing his hand unnecessarily by sitting on him this way.

I don't understand why people think he'd be the 6-7 guy.

If Hoefenmeyer returns it is reasonably certain that Wilson would get flipped to open an OA spot up front where it is more needed. If that does happen, I would see a bona fide #1 pairing with Hoefenmeyer and Bahl. But then I see two pairings that would balance out quite well with rippon and Okhotyuk paired with Perioc and Belanger. That would give each pairing a solid stay at home type guy that has the ability to jump up with a guy that can roam around offensively.

Under that scenario, each pairing would most likely roll out there 5 on 5 evenly. Then special teams would break up the assignments with Bahl, Rippon and Okhotyuk getting the lion share of PK time. Depending on whether they roll out 4 forwards on the PP, you would think Peric would be a go to guy with Hoef and Belanger for that PP.

If this team is truely a contender, depth will always present an issue for ice time distribution. You cannot escape that. It needs to be accepted as a drawback of success.

If the team is not a contender and they do a small sell off then Bahl has to go. Simple as that.

Under no circumstances do you trade Peric or Belanger unless they essentially do not report for duty. Both will get significant ice time on a successful team playing with other talented players. They will get more of a higher profile exposure as well. If Peric goes to Kingston, for example, how does that help him develop when he s just chasing the puck all night?

Reactions: sirius67fan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I don't understand why people think he'd be the 6-7 guy.

If Hoefenmeyer returns it is reasonably certain that Wilson would get flipped to open an OA spot up front where it is more needed. If that does happen, I would see a bona fide #1 pairing with Hoefenmeyer and Bahl. But then I see two pairings that would balance out quite well with rippon and Okhotyuk paired with Perioc and Belanger. That would give each pairing a solid stay at home type guy that has the ability to jump up with a guy that can roam around offensively.

Under that scenario, each pairing would most likely roll out there 5 on 5 evenly. Then special teams would break up the assignments with Bahl, Rippon and Okhotyuk getting the lion share of PK time. Depending on whether they roll out 4 forwards on the PP, you would think Peric would be a go to guy with Hoef and Belanger for that PP.

If this team is truely a contender, depth will always present an issue for ice time distribution. You cannot escape that. It needs to be accepted as a drawback of success.

If the team is not a contender and they do a small sell off then Bahl has to go. Simple as that.

Under no circumstances do you trade Peric or Belanger unless they essentially do not report for duty. Both will get significant ice time on a successful team playing with other talented players. They will get more of a higher profile exposure as well. If Peric goes to Kingston, for example, how does that help him develop when he s just chasing the puck all night?
Good way of looking at it OMG. Hopefully Peric and his people will see it that way. The bonus in this scenario is you don't have to play Bahl/Hoef 25/30 min a night. If icetime is split evenly they'll be fresh for the playoffs. Also between a few inevitable injuries and Bahl/Okhotiuk likely at world juniors...plenty of icetime.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The issue is not that we need to keep the defence the way it is to be competitive and go for it this year but to me, it is more how do we keep the defence competitive for the next 3 years.

Yes, I agree it would be nice to roll with 3 D pairings that are good BUT what happens next year when we lose a lot of the defence. Next year is the year the OHL hosts the cup to me that should be more of a focus. Trades should be with that in mind.
Letting Peric go to a team where he could be a regular top 2 or top 4 D if we can get a young player with promise for forward is a good deal just the same as if we can trade.

I am not saying sell for the sake of selling but to me, there is only one of last years players that should be untouchable and that is Bahl for now. Everyone else they should listen to ot offers.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The issue is not that we need to keep the defence the way it is to be competitive and go for it this year but to me, it is more how do we keep the defence competitive for the next 3 years.

Yes, I agree it would be nice to roll with 3 D pairings that are good BUT what happens next year when we lose a lot of the defence. Next year is the year the OHL hosts the cup to me that should be more of a focus. Trades should be with that in mind.
Letting Peric go to a team where he could be a regular top 2 or top 4 D if we can get a young player with promise for forward is a good deal just the same as if we can trade.

I am not saying sell for the sake of selling but to me, there is only one of last years players that should be untouchable and that is Bahl for now. Everyone else they should listen to ot offers.

There are loads of scenario’s out there. The most prevalent are:

1> The team is poised to compete again so throw everything at it to win now
2> Do a mini sell-off and sacrifice this year for next year. It would require the trading of non-returning assets this year which would include Kevin Bahl
3> Status quo. Shift some assets in an effort to maintain a competitive balance. The goal is to ensure the team is continually competitive and that alone will always give the team a chance to make a run if and when he pieces align in the best possible way

I see logic in all three options. I don’t necessarily agree with all three option but I see the logic. The question is, how do we make any of those three happen?

First, we need to know which of those three are the priority. We simply don’t know which is the priority. We all can have opinions on which is the priority but we simply don’t know. When we do know, if ever, how do they achieve the desired goal?

Personally, I think the team will attempt to maintain status quo through the first part of the season and feel the situation out. Once they have a good understanding of their strengths and weaknesses, they will shift to ether buy or sell mode. Again, I don’t think that is what I would do but it is what I think “they” will do.

ETA has stated there is likely a forward that demanded a trade. That trade was not completed prior tot he summer break deadline. Maybe that deal still happens, maybe it doesn’t but if it does, we have to remember that deal may not be part of any plan. It may just be something thrust upon them so we cannot or should not consider that as an indication. That said, the deal may be a factor that nudges them in one direction or the other.

I’ve made my opinion very clear on what I would do. I would enter the season with the intention of selling non0returning assets in an effort to shift to next year to potentially host a Memorial Cup. That puts Kevin Bahl on the block. If he represents Team Canada, you can be assured the return will be rather hefty. That means not trading anyone unless they simply walk out. It means maintaining a status quo and feeling out the waters on potential deals and pulling the trigger when the right deal presents itself.

I realize that is risky because it can be very difficult to shift assets forward and ensure success and it may cost us the potential of success this year and we’d be left with nothing. That is a risk for sure. But, with this management’s ability to make the best of trade situations so far, both as a seller and buyer, I think they have earned a little rope with which to work with.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I suspect we should see some movement in the league starting this week as everybody will truly be back to work after the long week end. Will be interesting to see what the poles will do in respect to
1- Rumours regarding Peric
2- a forward on the outs?
3- a surplus of D
4- need for an OA forward imo

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I suspect we should see some movement in the league starting this week as everybody will truly be back to work after the long week end. Will be interesting to see what the poles will do in respect to
1- Rumours regarding Peric
2- a forward on the outs?
3- a surplus of D
4- need for an OA forward imo

1. I think Peric is gone not sure if it is a good move but let's face it if he wants guaranteed minutes he is not going to get them here.
2. A lot depends on the forward. I would think that the young kids that played last year will be looking to make their mark this year for the draft. A forward i can see wanting a trade would bo Hoelscher let's face it if he is going to be a third-line centre then he deserves to go somewhere where he can prove what he has. He is working in too many shadows.
3. Surplus D not really is Peric goes in a trade and hoef gets a chance in the AHL or decides on one of many routes he can go and does not come back atht leaves Wilson and depending on how good the young guns are he may be either surplus or trade bait.

4. Do we really need an OA forward that depends on which of OMG scenarios you believe in.
If we are going for it yes maybe.
If we are building for either next year or the year after then no we do not. Go with what you have until near the deadline see what is available adn then make a deal. You never know a kid LIke Tolnai could sur[prise people once he starts to get good minutes.

OMG
i THINK THAT MANAGMENT IS GOING FOR

3> Status quo. Shift some assets in an effort to maintain a competitive balance. The goal is to ensure the team is continually competitive and that alone will always give the team a chance to make a run if and when he pieces align in the best possible way.

Let's face it if they had a go all in mentality they would have done it last year. This team this year is going to be competitive but it is not going to be anywhere near what we had last year offensively. We do have a lot of young players that will be at their height next year. that alone should give them a chance for the cup.
If Hunt gets to host the Cup then he can trade like hell with what he gets for players this year and what he has in the basket.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Peric from Ottawa to Saginaw for Gilmour (OA). Solves D and F problems for both teams.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Look for a center to be traded I can not see Tonai wanting to be the 4th line center again and Hoelscher the 3rd line center

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Look for a center to be traded I can not see Tonai wanting to be the 4th line center again and Hoelscher the 3rd line center
As of now Rossi is #1, Hoelscher is #2, Tolnai is # 3...I believe? Who else is there? No need to trade anybody. We need experienced depth on the wings imo.

Reactions: BarberPole9

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
the pre-season roster has been posted to the website, looks like 2 RW and a LW are still needed.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Who's the 2nd line centre?

I have;

Keating - Rossi - Clarke
Bitten - Hoelscher - Quinn
? - Tolnai - ?
? - ? - ?

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Who's the 2nd line centre?

I have;

Keating - Rossi - Clarke
Bitten - Hoelscher - Quinn
? - Tolnai - ?
? - ? - ?
You've missed Crete who would likely be the 4th line Centre, or shifted to one of the wings if they traded for a 2nd or 3rd line centre, might want to add Yule also.

Last edited:

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
the pre-season roster has been posted to the website, looks like 2 RW and a LW are still needed.

Signed since the 2019 draft:

Jack Matier (1st 21st 2019) RD
Jack Beck (2nd 31st 2019) LW
Brenden Sirizzotti (2nd 32nd 2019) RW
Anthony Constantini (6th 106th 2018) RD

My best guess (presently) would look like:

Keating-Rossi-Quinn/Clarke
Bitten-Hoelscher-Clarke/Quinn
Yule-Tolnai-Sirizzotti
Beck-Crete-?

Having said that, I've not heard otherwise so I still believe one of those top 6 has requested a trade and will not return. Depending on Hoef (and I believe that is what has Peric on hold), one of Hoef or Peric will be gone. There will obviously be a live body in return if it's Peric.

From the 2018 draft you have Chase Bradley (4-76) who plays in the USHL and committed to Northeastern, Dylan Peterson (8-85) playing for the USNTDP and committed to BU, Owen Luik (9-166) who played Midget in Oakville last season (not great numbers) and has signed with Oakville's OJ team, Liam Cavan (11-106) who plays First Team at St. Andrew's College in Aurora, Ethan Graham (12-226) who played for Blind River of the NOJHL and then Nicholas Chmelevski (younger brother of Sasha), who put up pretty good numbers with Belle Tire U16 and played a dozen games with their U18 squad. Other than Chmelevski and, maybe Graham, there's a whole lot of NCAA bound players that won't come to Ottawa pending a disaster when they arrive at their DI programs.

Maybe there's a surprise from the '19 draft but I believe nothing will be sorted out until 'Player X' is traded and you see what the return for him is (you'd like to think a top-6 F), Hoef is either offered a pro contract or returns and Peric either goes or stays. If Peric goes, you'd expect Boyd to be looking for a middle-6 '01 F in return. Also if Hoef goes it opens up and OA spot and there's always something kicking around in September on the OA market.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Signed since the 2019 draft:

Jack Matier (1st 21st 2019) RD
Jack Beck (2nd 31st 2019) LW
Brenden Sirizzotti (2nd 32nd 2019) RW
Anthony Constantini (6th 106th 2018) RD

My best guess (presently) would look like:

Keating-Rossi-Quinn/Clarke
Bitten-Hoelscher-Clarke/Quinn
Yule-Tolnai-Sirizzotti
Beck-Crete-?

Having said that, I've not heard otherwise so I still believe one of those top 6 has requested a trade and will not return. Depending on Hoef (and I believe that is what has Peric on hold), one of Hoef or Peric will be gone. There will obviously be a live body in return if it's Peric.

From the 2018 draft you have Chase Bradley (4-76) who plays in the USHL and committed to Northeastern, Dylan Peterson (8-85) playing for the USNTDP and committed to BU, Owen Luik (9-166) who played Midget in Oakville last season (not great numbers) and has signed with Oakville's OJ team, Liam Cavan (11-106) who plays First Team at St. Andrew's College in Aurora, Ethan Graham (12-226) who played for Blind River of the NOJHL and then Nicholas Chmelevski (younger brother of Sasha), who put up pretty good numbers with Belle Tire U16 and played a dozen games with their U18 squad. Other than Chmelevski and, maybe Graham, there's a whole lot of NCAA bound players that won't come to Ottawa pending a disaster when they arrive at their DI programs.

Maybe there's a surprise from the '19 draft but I believe nothing will be sorted out until 'Player X' is traded and you see what the return for him is (you'd like to think a top-6 F), Hoef is either offered a pro contract or returns and Peric either goes or stays. If Peric goes, you'd expect Boyd to be looking for a middle-6 '01 F in return. Also if Hoef goes it opens up and OA spot and there's always something kicking around in September on the OA market.
I believe Johnson and Sawyer have also signed from our last draft. Another possible 2018 is Colby Ambrosio but he does have an NCAA commitment somewhere. I am surprised its one of the top 6 that wants out. I don't want any of those guys to go. Suspense is killing me ETA;).

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You've missed Crete who would likely be the 4th line Centre, or shifted to one of the wings if they traded for a 2nd or 3rd line centre, might want to add Yule also.

There are loads of players but we don’t know how they will fit in. We should be reasonably certain the players I listed will play those positions. The rest will be place holders so to speak. The point is, as responding to Beast, I don’t know who he has as the #2 centre ahead of Hoelscher.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I believe Johnson and Sawyer have also signed from our last draft. Another possible 2018 is Colby Ambrosio but he does have an NCAA commitment somewhere. I am surprised its one of the top 6 that wants out. I don't want any of those guys to go. Suspense is killing me ETA;).

If I had to guess, I would say Clarke. He was bumped down the lineup in the playoffs pretty much to 4th line.

I doubt it is Hoelscher. NJ picked two more 67’s and he seems happy. There is no reason for Quinn to be upset. He’s poised to get some serious icetime with a couple good centres. Reports had Rossi only really considering Ottawa so I don’t see how that would change, plus he received first line minutes all last season. Also, if there were an issue, the time to trade him would be prior to the Import draft when hey could have picked a replacement.

That leaves Keating and Bitten as the only other possibles. Considering how hard the family tried to get Will here, I can’t see that souring so bad. Plus he’s a 19 year old that was a deep draft pick. It’s not like he was on any NHL draft lists at any time. Why would KEating want a move now? He is what he is. HE should know he isn’t a pro. He should be playing out his junior eligibility to extend his scholarship $$$.

So, if my logic is correct, Clarke should be the guy. Although, he was also drafted pretty early by NJ so maybe they may have a say in the situation?

The only other tangible situation would have a player simply not liking the management and-or coach and want out and it has nothing to do with playing time.

But, my guess is still on Clarke. And if I had my choice, he’d be the guy I’d hope wants out. He’s one dimensional and adds nothing significant on the positive side that doesn’t counteract the negatives.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
If I had to guess, I would say Clarke. He was bumped down the lineup in the playoffs pretty much to 4th line.

I doubt it is Hoelscher. NJ picked two more 67’s and he seems happy. There is no reason for Quinn to be upset. He’s poised to get some serious icetime with a couple good centres. Reports had Rossi only really considering Ottawa so I don’t see how that would change, plus he received first line minutes all last season. Also, if there were an issue, the time to trade him would be prior to the Import draft when hey could have picked a replacement.

That leaves Keating and Bitten as the only other possibles. Considering how hard the family tried to get Will here, I can’t see that souring so bad. Plus he’s a 19 year old that was a deep draft pick. It’s not like he was on any NHL draft lists at any time. Why would KEating want a move now? He is what he is. HE should know he isn’t a pro. He should be playing out his junior eligibility to extend his scholarship $$$.

So, if my logic is correct, Clarke should be the guy. Although, he was also drafted pretty early by NJ so maybe they may have a say in the situation?

The only other tangible situation would have a player simply not liking the management and-or coach and want out and it has nothing to do with playing time.

But, my guess is still on Clarke. And if I had my choice, he’d be the guy I’d hope wants out. He’s one dimensional and adds nothing significant on the positive side that doesn’t counteract the negatives.
Logical analysis as always OMG. The only flaw is Clarke being a local boy and his family is here....unless they want the two boys together in Barrie.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Logical analysis as always OMG. The only flaw is Clarke being a local boy and his family is here....unless they want the two boys together in Barrie.

There are flaws in all arguments but that was the most likely one in my mind so I’m rolling with it! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad