Ottawa 67's 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That part that that I have difficulty with in particular is always in some way referring to this team as in the same boat as last year’s. I disagree. The unchanged D is much better if only due to other teams graduating players; and, the goaltending is settled. A couple of impact forwards is all that is needed.

The defence last year was due to overall team defence. No disrespect to the actual defence crew but that is true.

Guelph’s defence crew was far superior to Ottawa’s. It really wasn’t all that close.

To me, guys like Chmelevski trolling the centre ice was a lot more valuable than any of the D-Men with respect to the defence numbers. The sheer amount of defensive zone faceoff wins was glaring. The overall talent and skill of the forward units last year to get pucks out was phenomenal. Guys like Graham Clarke will not help that. He will hurt it. Rossi is solid but he’s not going to help that much either. It will be up to guys like Hoelscher to play the defensive role and that may waste his ability offensively.

Looking at this year, as an unbiased observer, not as a 67’s fan, this is my take if we are considered a contender.

1> Peric would be gone as would Wilson because we need to invest in an OA forward.

2> Bahl is world class and should play upwards of 30 minutes. HE is so good that he can play with a defensive deficient Hoefenmeyer and it wouldn’t hurt the team with Hoef out there 5 on 5. We’d have a world class first pairing. Best in the league? Possibly.

3> Here’s where it starts to get interesting. Hypothetically, Okhotyuk and Rippon. This pairing could go either way. Neither are particularly offensive. Neither are particularly defensive. That can mean #3 guy but it could also mean #5 guy on a Championship roster. If Phillips was the #3 guy on Guelph last year, how does he rank beside these two guys? Not sure anyone could present an argument that either of them are in Phillips category.

4> Belanger was rarely used but impressed when he was used. He got a lot of sheltered minutes when he did get in the lineup. I like him but is he a #5 on a Championship roster? Maybe. We haven’t seen anywhere near enough to make that assertion.

5> When Matier was drafted he was referred to as a project. He really should not be playing as a starter from day one. On aChampionship calibre team, he really should not be playing in the playoffs.

So, we have the first pairing just fine. I’m very comfortable there. I really don’t like the makeup of the 2nd pair. I’d be much more comfortable acquiring an offensive guy to play with one of Rippon or Okhotyuk and then pair Belanger with the other. To me, that would be a Championship calibre defence. That means we are one D-Man short to play in the 3 slot in my opinion.

In my opinion we have 4 top 6 forwards and two 3rd line calibre players for a championship calibre team. We can fill one of the top 6 forward slots with an OA but we require another top 20 league scoring type player. It will be hard to acquire an impact 19 year old winger for draft picks. Make no mistake, if we are unwilling to trade Matier, we have nothing else to trade. Guys like Crete and Yule won’t get that done. We are seriously deficient in available bodies to trade. PEric will be gone and Maggio was already traded. Belanger would be the next guy on the list and he’d be the biggest target after Tolnai. Can this team afford to trade either of those guys? If they can’t, they will have to deal Matier. Draft picks got it done for the most part last year in a buyers market. I doubt it will cut it this year.

sudburydinnerjacket

May 28, 2019
The defence last year was due to overall team defence. No disrespect to the actual defence crew but that is true.

Guelph’s defence crew was far superior to Ottawa’s. It really wasn’t all that close.

To me, guys like Chmelevski trolling the centre ice was a lot more valuable than any of the D-Men with respect to the defence numbers. The sheer amount of defensive zone faceoff wins was glaring. The overall talent and skill of the forward units last year to get pucks out was phenomenal. Guys like Graham Clarke will not help that. He will hurt it. Rossi is solid but he’s not going to help that much either. It will be up to guys like Hoelscher to play the defensive role and that may waste his ability offensively.

Looking at this year, as an unbiased observer, not as a 67’s fan, this is my take if we are considered a contender.

1> Peric would be gone as would Wilson because we need to invest in an OA forward.

2> Bahl is world class and should play upwards of 30 minutes. HE is so good that he can play with a defensive deficient Hoefenmeyer and it wouldn’t hurt the team with Hoef out there 5 on 5. We’d have a world class first pairing. Best in the league? Possibly.

3> Here’s where it starts to get interesting. Hypothetically, Okhotyuk and Rippon. This pairing could go either way. Neither are particularly offensive. Neither are particularly defensive. That can mean #3 guy but it could also mean #5 guy on a Championship roster. If Phillips was the #3 guy on Guelph last year, how does he rank beside these two guys? Not sure anyone could present an argument that either of them are in Phillips category.

4> Belanger was rarely used but impressed when he was used. He got a lot of sheltered minutes when he did get in the lineup. I like him but is he a #5 on a Championship roster? Maybe. We haven’t seen anywhere near enough to make that assertion.

5> When Matier was drafted he was referred to as a project. He really should not be playing as a starter from day one. On aChampionship calibre team, he really should not be playing in the playoffs.

So, we have the first pairing just fine. I’m very comfortable there. I really don’t like the makeup of the 2nd pair. I’d be much more comfortable acquiring an offensive guy to play with one of Rippon or Okhotyuk and then pair Belanger with the other. To me, that would be a Championship calibre defence. That means we are one D-Man short to play in the 3 slot in my opinion.

In my opinion we have 4 top 6 forwards and two 3rd line calibre players for a championship calibre team. We can fill one of the top 6 forward slots with an OA but we require another top 20 league scoring type player. It will be hard to acquire an impact 19 year old winger for draft picks. Make no mistake, if we are unwilling to trade Matier, we have nothing else to trade. Guys like Crete and Yule won’t get that done. We are seriously deficient in available bodies to trade. PEric will be gone and Maggio was already traded. Belanger would be the next guy on the list and he’d be the biggest target after Tolnai. Can this team afford to trade either of those guys? If they can’t, they will have to deal Matier. Draft picks got it done for the most part last year in a buyers market. I doubt it will cut it this year.
Great perspective. I agree with all of it.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Keating, Rossi, Clarke,
Yule, Hoelscher Quinn,
Beck * Tolnai Sirizzotti*
Johnston* Dick
Crete,

Belanger Hoefenmayerl
Bahl Rippon
Okhotyuk Costantini
Matier*

* Rookies under age
Andree
Cranley

This line up is strictly based on what we have gong into training camp.

OMG I think your defence pairing is good but I think for the start of the season you are going to want someone on the ice that can cover for any mistakes that Belanger makes.

I agree that Bahl and Hoef can and will get a lot of minutes so there is a 1a also li[airing that can be used by having them do longer shifts than their partners with an overlap

On forward there is a gap and the only way it gets filled is if someone comes out of nowhere to shine in camp or they trade.

Peric to me is the trade possibly him and Wilson for a forward not necessarily an OA but a good forward.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Team defence was great last season, awesome puck possession really. Rossi had the league’s best +/- per game as a rookie; that’s pretty amazing. Kinda funny that you vehemently disagreed last post season when I said the storm D was way better than the ‘67s mostly because they were a year older 1-6; and now, we disagree that an unchanged ‘67s D would likely be the league’s best. The ‘67s drafted 3 D in 4 rounds of the last draft, I see no issue using Matier to get a A.Thomas type.
There won’t be much competition for the Petes & Wolves for players in the East if the Gens, Colts, & ‘67s are all ooking to 2020-21. I actually hope the memorial cup goes far enough east to Ottawa or Kingston (not ready now, but neither was Windsor at the time).

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Sure Guelph's defense looked much more superior to Ottawa's last year but this had to do with a couple of factors.

1) The Ottawa players always had pressure when retrieving the puck due to the size of the Guelph forwards. It is not fun when you know you are going to get your face shoved into the glass every time and as a result you make mistakes. Cough up the puck to avoid the hits and play very tentatively.

2) Due to Ottawa's lack of size made it very easy for Guelph to advance the puck. Pressure was non-existent from Ottawa's forwards.

Rather than add to our diminutive forward group last season with Chiodo and Maksimovich we needed players like Saigeon and Entwistle.

I am not going to get into it but we missed a great opportunity last season.

mosaic

May 29, 2019
What would be the rationale for Hoefenmayer to want to play another year in the OHL? He's already played four seasons and not sure what another season would do for him from a hockey development perspective. He was already a point per game #1 pair defenseman last season and still wasn't signed by Arizona or drafted by another NHL team this past June. Wouldn't the next logical step be to USports, minor pro or Europe if he wants to continue playing?

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Sure Guelph's defense looked much more superior to Ottawa's last year but this had to do with a couple of factors.

1) The Ottawa players always had pressure when retrieving the puck due to the size of the Guelph forwards. It is not fun when you know you are going to get your face shoved into the glass every time and as a result you make mistakes. Cough up the puck to avoid the hits and play very tentatively.

2) Due to Ottawa's lack of size made it very easy for Guelph to advance the puck. Pressure was non-existent from Ottawa's forwards.

Rather than add to our diminutive forward group last season with Chiodo and Maksimovich we needed players like Saigeon and Entwistle.

last line says it all.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Team defence was great last season, awesome puck possession really. Rossi had the league’s best +/- per game as a rookie; that’s pretty amazing. Kinda funny that you vehemently disagreed last post season when I said the storm D was way better than the ‘67s mostly because they were a year older 1-6; and now, we disagree that an unchanged ‘67s D would likely be the league’s best. The ‘67s drafted 3 D in 4 rounds of the last draft, I see no issue using Matier to get a A.Thomas type.
There won’t be much competition for the Petes & Wolves for players in the East if the Gens, Colts, & ‘67s are all ooking to 2020-21. I actually hope the memorial cup goes far enough east to Ottawa or Kingston (not ready now, but neither was Windsor at the time).

Yeah, I was wrong about Guelph. In hindsight, I mistook the overall Ottawa defense and discounted the value of the forwards. When Ottawa went up against a stacked team with the top end talent, it was tough. Ottawa had loads of depth but couldn't match up against that top end talent. That is why I now say that although Ottawa has depth on defence, that will help tremendously in the regular season but not deep in the playoffs.

Ottawa's depth of scoring couldn't even match Guelph's depth of scoring. Their third line pounded the depth defenders on Ottawa. When you look at what Toropchenko was able to do so easily against the 2nd and 3rd pairing, it is almost embarassing.

When you start talking about depth defenders, their ceiling doesn't really change much. Guys like Bahl will make a big jump but Hoefenmeyer won't. I believe he's reached his ceiling. He'll be more consistent and slightly better but not in leaps and bounds. Okhotyuk will probably make a significant leap this year. Rippon will improve but he doesn't have the dynamic skill set that improves in a big leap. After that you are talking about relative rookies so to speak.

Are Bahl and Okhotyuk going to make a big enough leap? Doubtful. I think you are correct. We'll probably need to trade a kid like Matier for Thomas. The problem is I don't think this management group would even consider it.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
What would be the rationale for Hoefenmayer to want to play another year in the OHL? He's already played four seasons and not sure what another season would do for him from a hockey development perspective. He was already a point per game #1 pair defenseman last season and still wasn't signed by Arizona or drafted by another NHL team this past June. Wouldn't the next logical step be to USports, minor pro or Europe if he wants to continue playing?

I have no answer to that question. I didn't think he'd return but barring him being offered a contract that he'd want to sign, he is apparently returning. Maybe he wants a 5th year for an education package?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

My two targets were Saigeon and Durzi to fill the two OA spots. I agree 100% we needed skilled size and Saigeon should have been target #1.

We should have done whatever it would have taken to get Durzi and Suzuki. When you look at what OS got, and then combine the fact Peric now wants out, he could have been the piece to use in that deal.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Agreed but likely would be Hawel and picks for Peric as you get a very good young D for 2/3 years. Thinking Hawel and a third with cond third for OA year?

Reactions: StormWatcher

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Agreed but likely would be Hawel and picks for Peric as you get a very good young D for 2/3 years. Thinking Hawel and a third with cond third for OA year?

Thinking Hawel is worth at least 2,3, imo, any less then Burnett & Branch help each other out, again. Peric is worth that plus an additional 3rd & *3rd?

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Thinking Hawel is worth at least 2,3, imo, any less then Burnett & Branch help each other out, again. Peric is worth that plus an additional 3rd & *3rd?

Hawel, depending on the market, is worth at least a 2nd and 3rd, you are correct. Peric is worth two 2nds, no conditions.

It should pretty much be a straight up deal if you use pick value as the equatable factor. I can see manybe a conditional 3rd for an OA year for Peric to help make it more even I guess.

I agree with you on this one for sure.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Hawel would be a perfect fit if the 67s think they have a chance this season.

Management should do all that is possible to obtain Hawel and grant Peric his wish of moving on.

It would be very advantageous if we could work out a deal with Guelph covering both situations.

I am totally on board for a Hawel acquistion.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Hawel would be a perfect fit if the 67s think they have a chance this season.

Management should do all that is possible to obtain Hawel and grant Peric his wish of moving on.

It would be very advantageous if we could work out a deal with Guelph covering both situations.

I am totally on board for a Hawel acquistion.

I still side on the "go for it next year" scenario BUT if the decision is to go for it this year, he would be the big body presence we'd need. My only concern is last year in the Final's he didn't seem to have as big an impact as I would have thought. I don't know if that would be a concern or not.

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
Looking back on the trade of Bitten I’m certain that management had every intention of acquiring a top 6 forward or two and that Bitten was slated for bottom six duties. He tries hard but he isn’t the most offensive player we need in a top six role.
I also see is losing Peric as a mistake I think we should build for next year and try to gain as much experience as we can. We would be set on defence and goal for next year with minor adjustments on forward as seems the norm for us.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
If a player is not going to get the minutes that he wants then it is best to let him go. Peric was not going to get a huge amount of ice time there are just too many people ahead of him.

Hoef could come back for a few reasons 1. to get the extra year education or to see if he can pull a Fehlbauer. The smart thing for him would be to enroll at either OU or Carleton and take a few online courses. pay it out of his own pocket.

that way he gets a jump on things then pull a Tudin do the university hockey and go to Europe.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
If a player is not going to get the minutes that he wants then it is best to let him go. Peric was not going to get a huge amount of ice time there are just too many people ahead of him.

Hoef could come back for a few reasons 1. to get the extra year education or to see if he can pull a Fehlbauer. The smart thing for him would be to enroll at either OU or Carleton and take a few online courses. pay it out of his own pocket.

that way he gets a jump on things then pull a Tudin do the university hockey and go to Europe.

Part of the CHL education package is that teams are required to pay the tuition of any course(s) a player attends during his tenure with team. No “out of his own pocket” required.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
OHLInsiders
@OHLinsiders

·
18m
On his way to....... The Ottawa #67s #OHL
Quote Tweet
CauqAR0N_normal.jpg

OHLInsiders
@OHLInsiders
· Aug 20
Oshawa Generals close to moving 02' F Dylan Robinson. How close? I don't know Where? I don't know When? I don't know For what? I don't know But as always, will work to find out! They made their 'last chance' calls today. #OHL

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
OHLInsiders
@OHLinsiders

·
18m
On his way to....... The Ottawa #67s #OHL
Quote Tweet
CauqAR0N_normal.jpg

OHLInsiders
@OHLInsiders
· Aug 20
Oshawa Generals close to moving 02' F Dylan Robinson. How close? I don't know Where? I don't know When? I don't know For what? I don't know But as always, will work to find out! They made their 'last chance' calls today. #OHL

Watch it be for Peric.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad