Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
I heard around the rink that Wilson is the odd man out. The only way they would trade Hoef if they could get a much better return.

The goaltending so far this season is not nearly good enough. Cranley with his size should stand tall and not be getting beat over the shoulder like he did yesterday. I also don't believe that Andree has looked all that great except for the game in London. He is not making the timely saves when the team needs a lift. When Dipietro got injured against Guelph in last year's playoffs he finished the game really strong and after that his play has been subpar. I don't care if he has the 5th best GAA in the league the big saves are just not there.

The defense should be doing a much better job in our end with all of the experience everyone is talking about. Lots of time opposing forwards in the clear with nobody even close.

I believe that we need an Akil Thomas type player, the defense has to tighten up and the goaltending really needs to stabilize.
Agree regarding defense needing to improve, the need for another top forward and that Cranley shouldn’t drop into his butterfly as quickly as he does.

Regarding Andree, I agree that his game against Kingston and the flukey first goal by the Petes weren’t his finest moments. However, even goalies have off days so I would hardly rate his entire season thus far as “sub-par”. His GAA is 3rd in the league among goaltenders that have played more than 5 games. His only goal against yesterday came courtesy of Okhotyuk and without his strong play, including the timely save in OT, Hamilton may have won. We likely would also have lost the games against Guelph and OS if it wasn’t for some big saves. Without Andree, our record could very easily be 4-3-2-2, Can we hope for more consistency? Absolutely, but I certainly don’t think we have a real issue in nets (especially compared to some other teams).

Reactions: sirius67fan

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Agree regarding defense needing to improve, the need for another top forward and that Cranley shouldn’t drop into his butterfly as quickly as he does.

Regarding Andree, I agree that his game against Kingston and the flukey first goal by the Petes weren’t his finest moments. However, even goalies have off days so I would hardly rate his entire season thus far as “sub-par”. His GAA is 3rd in the league among goaltenders that have played more than 5 games. His only goal against yesterday came courtesy of Okhotyuk and without his strong play, including the timely save in OT, Hamilton may have won. We likely would also have lost the games against Guelph and OS if it wasn’t for some big saves. Without Andree, our record could very easily be 4-3-2-2, Can we hope for more consistency? Absolutely, but I certainly don’t think we have a real issue in nets (especially compared to some other teams).
I wish people would quit putting Andree on a pedestal and look at the true picture. Example, he plays 3 games and gives up 1 goal per and plays well, then the next 3 games he gives up 4 goals per with lack lustre play. The end result could be we end up at a .500 winning % for these games, He ends up with a 2.50 GAA during this stretch which is not a true reflection of what is happening. Subpar 50% of the time is not good enough.

Cranley does not impress as a capable backup.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
I wish people would quit putting Andree on a pedestal and look at the true picture. Example, he plays 3 games and gives up 1 goal per and plays well, then the next 3 games he gives up 4 goals per with lack lustre play. The end result could be we end up at a .500 winning % for these games, He ends up with a 2.50 GAA during this stretch which is not a true reflection of what is happening. Subpar 50% of the time is not good enough.

I’m not disagreeing that he has been sub-par at times (Windsor, Kingston, etc.). I just don’t think it’s 50% of the time.

This is junior hockey. Every goalie lets in more than they should from time-to-time (Jones was pulled vs Flint, Guzda has allowed 3 or more goals in 6 of 9 games, Ingham has allowed 3 goals or more in every game he’s played except one). I would love for Andree to get a shutout every night, but I’ll settle for what I hope will be relative consistency: few shutouts, the occasional hiccup, and minimal blowouts. He’s not perfect, and I’m not going to put him on a pedestal, but at least he’s the kind of goalie the team can count on most nights.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
If you look at this team this year compared to last year this is s year for rebuilding.

Yes we have a good goalie and good (not great) defence but this is not a team that no matter what we do that is going to have the power that we had last year.
As was pointed out this team was basically led offensively by the older players.

The only goal scorer that returned is Keating and Rossi and they can not do it on their own.

If we look at other teams like London they have rebuild years where they are still competitive but are not going for it.

With the way the team is right now let's settle for a year that we make the playoffs and fight for home ice and build for next year.

IMNSHO I think we can afford to trade a couple of Bahl, Keating, Hoescher, Hoef. Depending on who brings us the most assets for next year.

As to Cranley Hey remember he is a friggin rookie he needs to learn that there is a difference to the game. How bad was Andree a couple of years ago? Remember?

Let's be a seller this year and not a buyer

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
If you look at this team this year compared to last year this is s year for rebuilding.

Yes we have a good goalie and good (not great) defence but this is not a team that no matter what we do that is going to have the power that we had last year.
As was pointed out this team was basically led offensively by the older players.

The only goal scorer that returned is Keating and Rossi and they can not do it on their own.

If we look at other teams like London they have rebuild years where they are still competitive but are not going for it.

With the way the team is right now let's settle for a year that we make the playoffs and fight for home ice and build for next year.

IMNSHO I think we can afford to trade a couple of Bahl, Keating, Hoescher, Hoef. Depending on who brings us the most assets for next year.

As to Cranley Hey remember he is a friggin rookie he needs to learn that there is a difference to the game. How bad was Andree a couple of years ago? Remember?

Still not sure we need to make a decision just yet...

analyser

Jan 7, 2014

I highly doubt management will be a seller after dishing out 3 3rd rounders for an OA.

Tynan and Constantini are also rookies and they are doing very well. Cranley looks lost half of the time and I just do not see much improvement.

I bet Boyd will try to acquire additional scoring and hope the goaltending can at least steal a couple of games.

Reactions: 67hockeyfan

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015

Sample size is huge when analyzing goaltenders. Having said that, 10 games in Andree is 5th in the league in GAA at 2.76 and 6th (of goalies with 5 or more games) in save percentage with .908. Last season there were 7 goalies that had the 'magic combo' of a GAA less than 3.00 and a save percentage greater than .900 (#1 and #2, not coincidentally, were Mikey DiPietro and Cedrick Andree).

Also not sure how a GAA "is not a true reflection of what is happening". It's a mathematical calculation, not an opinion. In any case, Andree is fine and as the sample size grows it will resonate more clearly (THAT was an opinion!).

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Sample size is huge when analyzing goaltenders. Having said that, 10 games in Andree is 5th in the league in GAA at 2.76 and 6th (of goalies with 5 or more games) in save percentage with .908. Last season there were 7 goalies that had the 'magic combo' of a GAA less than 3.00 and a save percentage greater than .900 (#1 and #2, not coincidentally, were Mikey DiPietro and Cedrick Andree).

Also not sure how a GAA "is not a true reflection of what is happening". It's a mathematical calculation, not an opinion. In any case, Andree is fine and as the sample size grows it will resonate more clearly (THAT was an opinion!).
Inconsistency, 3 good games and then 3 bad games. He needs to be more reliable like Jones for the Petes.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
This is what I am reasonably certain about:

1 - we had a few dynamic players depart last season. Those skates have not, nor should we have expected them, to be filled by existing players. We require trades to acquire those players if we wish to reach the same level of scoring prowess as last season.
2 - our depth of defence going into the season was exceptional. Unfortunately, we don't dress 10 D-Men in an effort to win games. Peric is gone and Wilson will soon follow. Depth is being lessened as we address scoring up front.
3 - our top end defence ends at the #2 hole. We have what we can consider two elite D-Men (Hoefenmeyer and Bahl). After that we have some pretty solid guys but no one considered dynamic. GUelph had four guys last year and they ran out those four guys pretty much the entire 60 minutes. We don't have that luxury. We have assets in the press box watching the game and call it depth. That doesn't win games.
3 - Andree is our starting goalie. He has proven to be successful. He's not elite but he is better than 75% of the league. That should be more than good enough if there is a team that surrounds him.
4 - this management team has decided this is a year dedicated to winning a Championship. Like it or not, that is the perceived goal. We have to accep that. As part of that, we also have to accept we may have to make some sacrifices to make that happen. Those sacrifices will have a negative affect on the future. Swallow it! If the management team is unwilling to make those sacrifices, we will not win a Championship. That's the tradeoff we are now looking at.

The irony is if we had made Tolnai available last year, we'd have had Suzuki and Durzi instead of Chiodo. It would have been a cake walk through the Finals. Now we are looking at trading Tolnai to seemingly keep pace with league leaders.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Their are factors that determine the the true representation of Andree's 2.76 GAA and a .908 sv % such as:

-Number of difficult saves
-Timely saves when needed
-Ability to steal games when your team may not deserve it
-Reliability, not like the 1st goal against the Pete's or the Kingston fiasco
-He was good last year but the workload was not nearly as intense, team was loaded offensively
-The playoffs last year were a disaster, GAA over 5.05 and his sv % was .844. Guelph was a loaded team but he was not making the big saves like Dipietro.

We cannot afford to obtain a goaltender with the other components we require. Hopefully he can turn it around and be a important contributing factor for the team going forward.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Shribes used to say Junior hockey was "Predictably unpredictable." The reason was because of inconsistency of teenage players.

We have what we have. We have limited assets to acquire what we need. We can either use those limited assets to get players for now or leverage our veteran players to acquire assets we can use in the future.

Either way, goaltending is not a position of need. If we were to upgrade our goaltending somehow, it would be from a position of want. We don't have the assets to go get needs and wants....

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Shribes used to say Junior hockey was "Predictably unpredictable." The reason was because of inconsistency of teenage players.

We have what we have. We have limited assets to acquire what we need. We can either use those limited assets to get players for now or leverage our veteran players to acquire assets we can use in the future.

Either way, goaltending is not a position of need. If we were to upgrade our goaltending somehow, it would be from a position of want. We don't have the assets to go get needs and wants....
It could develop into a need, but I agree that we have to use our assets to shore up our offense. Hopefully Boyd can find the required components as I am sure he is going for it.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It could develop into a need, but I agree that we have to use our assets to shore up our offense. Hopefully Boyd can find the required components as I am sure he is going for it.

If goaltending develops into a need, we'll be selling at the deadline, not buying.....

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
With Rippon gone for possibly 8 weeks and Wilson the odd OA out, we are going with basically 3 rookies on defense. With Matier possibly out as well that leaves us pretty thin.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
With Rippon gone for possibly 8 weeks and Wilson the odd OA out, we are going with basically 3 rookies on defense. With Matier possibly out as well that leaves us pretty thin.

This is almost funny....

In a weird sorta way.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
As soon as Wilson is removed from the lineup Mutter nails Matier with no repercussions. Somebody should have stepped up and let Mutter know that this is not acceptable.

Somebody has to take over this role.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Strange how we started the season with one of the strongest D corps in the league and then we lose Peric, Rippon and Wilson. At this point our D is pretty much average (one top pairing: Hoef and Bahl, a vet just returning from injury: Okhotyuk, Belanger in his first full season, and three rookies: Constantini, Matier [who might be injured], and Sawyer [who has played a grand total of 2 games]).

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
As soon as Wilson is removed from the lineup Mutter nails Matier with no repercussions. Somebody should have stepped up and let Mutter know that this is not acceptable.

Somebody has to take over this role.
Sawyer has the potential to wear the sheriff’s badge....but likely not this year.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Strange how we started the season with one of the strongest D corps in the league and then we lose Peric, Rippon and Wilson. At this point our D is pretty much average (one top pairing: Hoef and Bahl, a vet just returning from injury: Okhotyuk, Belanger in his first full season, and three rookies: Constantini, Matier [who might be injured], and Sawyer [who has played a grand total of 2 games]).
Where did Rippon go?

WJ

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Wilson to Peterborough for a 4th...great for the kid but not the guy that you want to face in your division.
Not a great return but market was limited and they wanted to do well by the kid, I respect that. Wilson deserves to go to a good team, good luck to him. I agree though would rather not have in in Peterborough.

sec20forever

Aug 11, 2015
I think a trade may come a little later than sooner when the market gets better. they still needs offence.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
What are the Petes getting in Wilson? pros and cons would be appreciated by all fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad