Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
What are the Petes getting in Wilson? pros and cons would be appreciated by all fans.
You're getting a solid stay at home defenseman with a physical edge. Don't expect offense but makes a good first pass. Very calm and you do not want to fight him. Will be a stabilizing force for your D. Also a great kid and a great teamate. For a fourth rounder...a steal for you guys. Got caught in the numbers game here and we needed to add Garreffa on offense. Hope he does well.

Reactions: ptbopete

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Ohl insiders saying Porco (2001) Saginaw and Dunkley (2000) London are on thr trade block. Both left wingers who had decent seasons last year. One of them could be a fit on the second line if the price is right.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
You're getting a solid stay at home defenseman with a physical edge. Don't expect offense but makes a good first pass. Very calm and you do not want to fight him. Will be a stabilizing force for your D. Also a great kid and a great teamate. For a fourth rounder...a steal for you guys. Got caught in the numbers game here and we needed to add Garreffa on offense. Hope he does well.

Thank You.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think the injuries have moved this team from a championship let's be a buyer to a rebuild year let's build for next year.

Yes, we traded for an OA but he was probably all that was available and we needed to fill Clarke's place.

That being said as OMG has stated many times this is a team that lost all their offence this year and have had injuries to defemcemen and been forced to trade a couple of D so even there we really did not have much depth.

We will make the playoffs and i see this team trading players like Keating and possibly Bahl. The price for both though has to be young players that are playing int he league right now and low picks.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I think the injuries have moved this team from a championship let's be a buyer to a rebuild year let's build for next year.

Yes, we traded for an OA but he was probably all that was available and we needed to fill Clarke's place.

That being said as OMG has stated many times this is a team that lost all their offence this year and have had injuries to defemcemen and been forced to trade a couple of D so even there we really did not have much depth.

We will make the playoffs and i see this team trading players like Keating and possibly Bahl. The price for both though has to be young players that are playing int he league right now and low picks.
I am sure that you are not going to get a young player plus picks for Keating. Boyd is not going to just give up on his targeted goal because of injuries to a couple of players. Rippon should be back in a couple of months which is plenty of time for recovering and be ready for the playoffs. We still have 7 defensemen on the team as long as Mactier can return soon. If the intent is to become a seller why waste picks to replace Clarke.

This will be a good time for the young defensemen to gain valuable experience and familiarize themselves with the OHL. Unfortunately you cannot foresee injuries occurring.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
I am sure Wilson did the math and so did Hoefenmayer. Wilson wasn't going to beat out any of the other three, despite the fact that I thought he was playing well for us in a defensive role.

Best of luck to him.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The sky is not falling.

Injuries at this time of year aren't a bad thing. It usually gets rookies some time on ice and it can be a net benefit over the long term.

The key is health in the 2nd half and the playoffs.

Regardless of injuries, we can still project a playoff roster going forward. Just because we have guys out now it doesn't mean we throw in the towel on the season. Through the first half, the goal really only needs to be signs of improvement while maintaining a decent spot in the standings.

Yes, we do need more talent added but it doesn't 'need' to be today. It needs to be prior to the deadline.

If prices and-or availability of those additional players are beyond reach, then it becomes a question of whether to sell and refocus to next year. Additionally, if injuries look to stretch into season ending territory, of course that may have an effect but as of now, no injuries are slated to be season ending.

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
Let's be honest with ourselves, we acquired a better overaged player and improved our team over all, the big picture is to be the best team for the playoffs not october.
We will be adding more players I am sure and we shall be seeing some players gone or sent down to their minor league affiliates.
I predict Tolnai to be moved in order to acquire an 19 or old forward.
We will .most likely use picks to acquire another forward and perhaps see Yule traded for a pick.

Reactions: 67hockeyfan

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Ohl insiders saying Porco (2001) Saginaw and Dunkley (2000) London are on thr trade block. Both left wingers who had decent seasons last year. One of them could be a fit on the second line if the price is right.

I wonder what the cost of Philip Tomasino would be from Niagara? I’d give up much more for him than Thomas, as he will more than likely be back next year.

Pavel Gogolev is another 19 year old will likely be back next year and he has ties to Ottawa from minor midget. He was so good against us in the finals.

Both could be flipped next year should the 67’s have their expected sell off.

Reactions: dirty12 and OMG67

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
[QUOTE="BarberPole9, post: 165835971, member: 210859"]I wonder what the cost of Philip Tomasino would be from Niagara? I’d give up much more for him than Thomas, as he will more than likely be back next year.

Pavel Gogolev is another 19 year old will likely be back next year and he has ties to Ottawa from minor midget. He was so good against us in the finals.

Both could be flipped next year should the 67’s have their expected sell off.[/QUOTE]

A couple players including whoever you took in the first round and a bunch of picks.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Any trade for a premium 18 year old would probably be followed up with a sell of the player next year.

That cost would most likely be Matier or Tolnai plus picks. We'd probably get three 2nds and three 3rds back next year though.

If a quality 19 year old will cost us Tolnai or Matier, I'd look at viable 18 year olds first because even though the cost would be higher, we'd recoup a lot next year.

We'd have to be reasonably certain the player doesn't graduate early though.

Reactions: BarberPole9

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
[QUOTE="BarberPole9, post: 165835971, member: 210859"]I wonder what the cost of Philip Tomasino would be from Niagara? I’d give up much more for him than Thomas, as he will more than likely be back next year.

Both could be flipped next year should the 67’s have their expected sell off.

A couple players including whoever you took in the first round and a bunch of picks.[/QUOTE]

Something like that; but, I doubt Niagara has interest in Matier as he would be the 3rd - 16 yr old RD ... next ‘03 born is a 6th pick G.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG and others
What would happen if we stood pat this year?

Trade maybe Bahl or Hoef and maybe Keating if we got the right offer.

Could this team be a contender next year?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they brought up Graeme Clarke on the Soo vs Windsor OHL Livestream. Terry Doyle said he had surgery earlier this week, but not only was he going to be out most of the season, but there was significant doubt that he would be back at all this season, thats how serious the injury was.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but they brought up Graeme Clarke on the Soo vs Windsor OHL Livestream. Terry Doyle said he had surgery earlier this week, but not only was he going to be out most of the season, but there was significant doubt that he would be back at all this season, thats how serious the injury was.
I'm not surprised, kind of expected it.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG and others
What would happen if we stood pat this year?

Trade maybe Bahl or Hoef and maybe Keating if we got the right offer.

Could this team be a contender next year?

Bit of a double edge sword there.

One of the reasons to not go for it is lack of punch from players like Tolnai and Robinson. If that is one of the prime reasons to sell, can those two be centre pieces next year? Probably not.

So, to answer your question, no, I don't think we'd be a contender next year. Too many variables need to line up...

1 - we'd need Rossi to return
2 - Andree would need to be a centrepiece to success
3 - both Robinson and Tolnai need to be major contributors
4 - Hoelscher needs to return as an OA
5 - the return for Bahl would need to include an impact 17 year old (2018 1st rounder)

I feel all of those things need to happen. If #2 and #3 are certain, they'd get that from them this year and it would put us into contender status right now.

Reactions: dirty12

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Nice comeback tonight in a tale of two games. For the first half of the game, Ottawa was asleep and lacking intensity. For the final 27 minutes or so I thought that they played their best hockey of the season, scoring four unanswered!

The TSN Apple Auto Glass turning point of the game came late in the second period when Alec Belanger scored a big decision win fight against Reid Valade. Ottawa scored twice shortly thereafter.

Good to see Tolnai get on the board. He drew at least one, if not two penalties and just missed on another great chance. It was his best game of the year irregardless of the goal.

It was a fun game in person.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I agree with Barberpole fun game to be at...for the second half . They really have no quit and like Barberpole said Belanger provided the spark. A few observations/comments
1- Hoef is having a hell of a year, carrying this team
2- Keats is so good on the forecheck
3-more and more impressed with Matier, getting used to the speed and he has the size and skating. With the icetime they are getting him and Belanger will be a serviceable third pairing come playoff time.
4- Johnston is playing really well, he has no fear. Him and Sawyer had a few good shift on the fourth line
5- Tolnai had a good game and a nice goal hopefully it gets him going
6-We were in trouble whenever our third line Yule, Crete, Bech were on the ice. Didn't play much second half of game with reason. Crete is probably the biggest dissapointment for me this year, hasn't shown much. Which brings me to...
7-we are a two line team right now which is not sustainable long term. They essentially played the second half of the game. They are good but they will wear down. Won't work in 3/3 weekends.
8-Robinson out again. Starting to think he's dealing with something, wonder if its sequelae from last year's injury? Hip I believe? We would really need him to come around for that third line.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
I agree with Barberpole fun game to be at...for the second half . They really have no quit and like Barberpole said Belanger provided the spark. A few observations/comments
1- Hoef is having a hell of a year, carrying this team
2- Keats is so good on the forecheck
3-more and more impressed with Matier, getting used to the speed and he has the size and skating. With the icetime they are getting him and Belanger will be a serviceable third pairing come playoff time.
4- Johnston is playing really well, he has no fear. Him and Sawyer had a few good shift on the fourth line
5- Tolnai had a good game and a nice goal hopefully it gets him going
6-We were in trouble whenever our third line Yule, Crete, Bech were on the ice. Didn't play much second half of game with reason. Crete is probably the biggest dissapointment for me this year, hasn't shown much. Which brings me to...
7-we are a two line team right now which is not sustainable long term. They essentially played the second half of the game. They are good but they will wear down. Won't work in 3/3 weekends.
8-Robinson out again. Starting to think he's dealing with something, wonder if its sequelae from last year's injury? Hip I believe? We would really need him to come around for that third line.
Great assessment. I was at the game as well and concur. For anyone interested (analyser), the goaltending was unremarkable. All three goals the Rangers scored were tipped in. I place the fault more on the D than on Andree who really had no chance on any of them. Other than the goals, he wasn’t very busy but made the stops he had to make. In the end, we got the W which is what matters.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Thanks for the feedback guys were not able to listen to the game.

More and more I am starting tho think that there is just too much that needs a repair on this team to go for it this year.
last year with the team we had before the deadline we were a power. Now it seems that if we go for it we are going to be one of those teams that have to buy a second or third line.
I think that if we take this year as a rebuild or retool year we are going to be better down the line.
I would personally like to see the team look at the third line and maybe in the trades we make look for players that can either play second or third line this year or next.

Unfortunately, I do not see us being able to keep Keating either Keating or Hoescher one of them will be in a trade I am sure. The same with Hoef and Bahl one of them will be gone if not both.

As to Rossi if this team is going to be competitive I would think that he would be back as this is where the scouts and the NHL can keep a better eye on him. I hear people talking about his offense but hear very little about his defensive ability.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Thanks for the feedback guys were not able to listen to the game.

More and more I am starting tho think that there is just too much that needs a repair on this team to go for it this year.
last year with the team we had before the deadline we were a power. Now it seems that if we go for it we are going to be one of those teams that have to buy a second or third line.
I think that if we take this year as a rebuild or retool year we are going to be better down the line.
I would personally like to see the team look at the third line and maybe in the trades we make look for players that can either play second or third line this year or next.

Unfortunately, I do not see us being able to keep Keating either Keating or Hoescher one of them will be in a trade I am sure. The same with Hoef and Bahl one of them will be gone if not both.

As to Rossi if this team is going to be competitive I would think that he would be back as this is where the scouts and the NHL can keep a better eye on him. I hear people talking about his offense but hear very little about his defensive ability.
Well if you are ready to disassemble the team now you better trade both Bahl and Hoelscher. They may bring a fairly good haul depending on the demand.

Hoef and Keating are OAs who will not get you young players plus draft picks in return. Garreffa has been a very good player for a few years and he was brought in for 3 3rd rounders.

I personally think that if we acquire an Akil Thomas type player and another experienced forward for the 3rd line we will be very competitive. When Rippon comes back we will have 5 experienced defensemen to carry the workload. You never know their is an outside chance that Clarke could reappear sometime before the season ends.

Attendance is down again and management may at least attempt to go on a long playoff run to improve the numbers. I don't see them throwing in the towel this season.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

You probably have very little desire to hear people talk about Rossi’s defensive abilities. Rossi per game was a league best +51 in 53 GP as a 17 yr old rookie last season. So far this season, Rossi is a league best +8 in 7 GP on a per game basis. His face off W% is 63%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad