Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
If the plan this year was to push for a win, the Clarke injury changes nothing. He'll be back prior to the playoffs where he'll get a silid 4-6 weeks of the season to get ready.

The Clarke injury changes nothing in that regard.

Selling, buying or status quo is really just an opinion we all have. Unless this team falls down flat, I cannot see management making any diversions from their plan.
i disagree OMG it changes a lot because as I stated in my post I don't think he's out only four months based on my experience with shoulder surgery ( mind you I don't know the exact diagnosis). Also somebody posted that they said in the broadcast last night that its now 4-6 months so there is a chance that Clarke is not a factor this year. I know some don't like his game but he is our best pure scorer and a top six forward so it is a big loss. So it may change things, or they can still load up and hope he contributes come playoff time.

Reactions: 67hockeyfan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
i disagree OMG it changes a lot because as I stated in my post I don't think he's out only four months based on my experience with shoulder surgery ( mind you I don't know the exact diagnosis). Also somebody posted that they said in the broadcast last night that its now 4-6 months so there is a chance that Clarke is not a factor this year. I know some don't like his game but he is our best pure scorer and a top six forward so it is a big loss. So it may change things, or they can still load up and hope he contributes come playoff time.

Five full months is the end of the regular season.

He'll have one of the best surgeeons in North America. He'll have the best physiotherapy as well. Plus, he's a young athlete.

I'm not saying 6 months is out of the question but I think within 5 months is probable.

If the team finishes high in the standings and he is back for the playoffs, round one would and should simply be a tuneup.

By the deadline, they will know where they stand for sure and if rumours are true regarding Niagara, you'd have to think the management is focused on making a run this year.

You all know my opinion on what this team should do. I'm been very transparent. I just don"t think this management team is thinking that way. They want to win, IMO.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Gotta get that last shot in; hard to take the high road where hurt feelings are involved, I guess.
Insider seems intent on bringing himself down to the level of character he portrays the Burke family to have.

Some people call it like they see it....

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Yep; and, ohlinsider is pretty accurate. But this public personal trashing on the part of him and the Burke’s is childish.

I'm not defending the guy (I, like many, don't know who he is) HOWEVER, if the IceDogs are revoking media passes over legitimate media folks sharing his Twitter posts, who's being childish?

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
If you run an anonymous twitter account peddling rumours, you shouldn't be surprised when the league treats you as an anonymous twitter account peddling rumours, regardless of how accurate they might sometimes be.

Reactions: OHLFan1995

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
My 2 cents on the math of the Clarke injury:

Missing for this season:
Felhaber - 59 goals
Chmelevski - 35 goals
Clark - 17 goals
Average: 1.67 goals per game played

Maksimovich - 12 goals in 28 games
Chiodo - 10 goals in 28 games
Average: .786 goals per game played

So you're looking to replace 2.46 goals per game with Clarke (who was on pace to score 53), Hoelscher (on pace to score 43), Rossi (on pace to score 32) and Keating (on pace to score 27) if they all play the balance of the season with no suspensions or injuries (which we now know Clarke will miss significant time). Those 4, this season compared to last, are a potential combined + 1.26 goals per game played improvement, which we now know will be significantly lower. Bottom line is a 1.2 goals for per game reduction which will likely be significantly worse minus Clarke. It's not impossible to imagine the 67's, as presently rostered, scoring a full 2 fewer goals per game.

After 10 games played:
Tolnai (who has had time on the top line and PP) - 0 goals
Robinson (who has had time on the top line and PP) - 0 goals
Beck (who has had time on the top line and PP) - 0 goals
Crete (who has had time on the top line, be it only a game and a bit) - 0 goals
Yule - 0 goals
Johnston - 0 goals
The platooning rookie defensemen and Tourigny, who make up the 12th forward - 1 goal (but I believe Sawyer was a D that game)

Every player tried with Rossi-Keating-Clarke (in Rossi's 5-game absence and since Clarke injury -- albiet a game and a period) and Hoelscher-Quinn has failed to click so far (still only mid-October).

Even with the strong veteran defense corps and Andree playing as well as he can (last season a team 2.69 GA/GM), the 67's are statistically likely to score around 2.35 GF/GM, which last season would have put them 19th in a 20-team league.

So, with all due respect to OMG, unless Boyd makes more than one significant move to add scoring, the 67's won't make the playoffs.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'm not defending the guy (I, like many, don't know who he is) HOWEVER, if the IceDogs are revoking media passes over legitimate media folks sharing his Twitter posts, who's being childish?

Both was what I was trying to say

analyser

Jan 7, 2014

Missing for this season:
Felhaber - 59 goals
Chmelevski - 35 goals
Clark - 17 goals

So you're looking to replace 2.46 goals per game with Clarke (who was on pace to score 53), Hoelscher (on pace to score 43), Rossi (on pace to score 32) and Keating (on pace to score 27) if they all play the balance of the season with no suspensions or injuries (which we now know Clarke will miss significant time). Those 4, this season compared to last, are a potential combined + 1.26 goals per game played improvement, which we now know will be significantly lower. Bottom line is a 1.2 goals for per game reduction which will likely be significantly worse minus Clarke. It's not impossible to imagine the 67's, as presently rostered, scoring a full 2 fewer goals per game.

After 10 games played:
Yule - 0 goals
Johnston - 0 goals
The platooning rookie defensemen and Tourigny, who make up the 12th forward - 1 goal (but I believe Sawyer was a D that game)

Every player tried with Rossi-Keating-Clarke (in Rossi's 5-game absence and since Clarke injury -- albiet a game and a period) and Hoelscher-Quinn has failed to click so far (still only mid-October).

Even with the strong veteran defense corps and Andree playing as well as he can (last season a team 2.69 GA/GM), the 67's are statistically likely to score around 2.35 GF/GM, which last season would have put them 19th in a 20-team league.

So, with all due respect to OMG, unless Boyd makes more than one significant move to add scoring, the 67's won't make the playoffs.
I believe that Boyd will attempt to add two significant forwards who can put up good point totals. This can only happen if he can find a couple of dancing partners to co-operate.

Should this not be feasible, then come deadline time he can move Bahl and Hoelscher for a couple of up and coming players plus picks. He shouldn't move Hoelscher if the price is not right as he could be an OA next season.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Missing for this season:
Felhaber - 59 goals
Chmelevski - 35 goals
Clark - 17 goals

After 10 games played:
Yule - 0 goals
Johnston - 0 goals

And people wonder why I was adamant in the off season about trading Bahl and possibly Hoelscher and retool for next season. I didn't think the offence would be nearly strong enough. On top of that, the defence has depth but lacks significant top end talent through the top 4.

My viewpoint is based on what "I think" management's current stance is, which is to compete for a championship. In fact I suggested for them to compete, they would need at least two elite forwards which would be a ridiculous cost at the deadline, a cost I didn't feel we could seriously afford.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Simple question:

I know this thought is not popular but what is wrong with staying with the line up we have until the deadline and only adding players that will help next year.

We lose 3 defensemen next year (maybe 4) Matier has looked good Sawyer has looked good so why not go with them.

Let's sit back and see what this team has.

Do wer really want to trade a future player and picks just to get home ice in the playoffs.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017

Missing for this season:
Felhaber - 59 goals
Chmelevski - 35 goals
Clark - 17 goals

After 10 games played:
Yule - 0 goals
Johnston - 0 goals

Fantastic analysis. You're right, without adding firepower, we're dead in the (frozen) water.

Just to add to your analysis: last year, through the first 8 games played by Andree (447 minutes) he had a GAA of 3.08 and a SV% of 0.892 with 6 wins and 2 losses. This year, he has been carrying the team on his back for most of the early part of the season (recent hiccups notwithstanding) and has a GAA of 2.85 (2nd in the league) and a SV% of 0.907 (4th) in 442 minutes played yet he only has 4 wins with 3 losses (he had 5 losses ALL of last season with an overall GAA and SV% not far off his current numbers).

Our goaltending is Top 5, defense is among the league's best (they only allowed 18 shots against a high-powered Peterborough team), but we can't expect our D and goaltending to win EVERY game.

IMO, we can't squander what we have between the pipes and at the blue line this year. While it might hurt, we need to move a body or two from the D corps, along with some picks, to add scoring. Strange as it may seem, you need to score goals to win hockey games and we're not doing a lot of that right now, as ETA so aptly pointed out.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Simple question:

I know this thought is not popular but what is wrong with staying with the line up we have until the deadline and only adding players that will help next year.

We lose 3 defensemen next year (maybe 4) Matier has looked good Sawyer has looked good so why not go with them.

Let's sit back and see what this team has.

Do we really want to trade a future player and picks just to get home ice in the playoffs.
I don't think we can afford to sit back.....forget home ice, we might not even make the playoffs.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
I don't think we can afford to sit back.....forget home ice, we might not even make the playoffs.

if this team can’t beat two of Kingston, North Bay, Mississauga and Niagara (who will be likely trading anything of value) to make the playoffs, it will be the biggest letdown year in OHL history. They can make the playoffs even if they trade four or five players at the deadline, let’s not get carried away!

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
if this team can’t beat two of Kingston, North Bay, Mississauga and Niagara (who will be likely trading anything of value) to make the playoffs, it will be the biggest letdown year in OHL history. They can make the playoffs even if they trade four or five players at the deadline, let’s not get carried away!
OK. Maybe I was overreacting. Although adding a bonafide scorer, particularly in the absence of Clarke, would be nice :)

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Joey Gareffa to Ottawa for three 3rd round picks according to Kenny Walls!

Nice get from an offensive perspective. Hopefully Tourigny et al will introduce him to Andree and Cranley (-25 with 87 points last season on a decent - 34-30-3-1 - Kitchener team last season).

Reactions: sirius67fan

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
The Garreffa pickup ends the might sell debate. Good player though. Should be one of the top OAs this season

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
One OA will have to be released or traded. I guess Wilson will be the odd man out. Garreffa should improve the PP as a quarterback and he is also capable of defending as he sometimes played D for Kitchener.

Good pickup, I was wondering if he still wanted to play in the OHL after informing the Rangers that he wished to turn pro.

All the best Joseph.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Ottawa will love Joey. Kid is as versatile as they come and will make a hell of a politician one day.;)
Agreed...if left at forward and a full season he would be a 35 goals and 100 PT player.
If on defence he's one of the best puck-rushing d-men in the league.
You'll really really enjoy this player!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
My assumption is Gareffa will play LW with Hoelscher. He'll probably QB the first PP unit.

This also confirms they are making a run.

I'm sort of surprised this was just three 3rd rounders. It looks like a player request sort of deal.

I'm not sure it matters much at this point regarding the addition of an elite forward. We still do need one but it isn't necessary right away.

It will be interesting to see what we get for Wilson. I like that kid. It would be really good if we could get a couple 3rds but I'm thinking one 3rd and maybe a 5th.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
My assumption is Gareffa will play LW with Hoelscher. He'll probably QB the first PP unit. This also confirms they are making a run.

I'm sort of surprised this was just three 3rd rounders. It looks like a player request sort of deal.

I'm not sure it matters much at this point regarding the addition of an elite forward. We still do need one but it isn't necessary right away.

It will be interesting to see what we get for Wilson. I like that kid. It would be really good if we could get a couple 3rds but I'm thinking one 3rd and maybe a 5th.

They already have 3 elite forward OAs

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Wonder if its possible as Gareffa can quarter back the PP that Hoef might go....better value? Agree though that Wilson is likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->