Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It’s a good thing Ottawa decided to bring it’s A Game against the worst team in the CHL.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
5-0 after 1

Quinn 1g 3a
Keating 1g 1a
Garreffa 1g 1a
Hoefenmayer 1g 1a

shots 19-2

Last edited:

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
9 - 0 after 2

shots 31 - 9

Quinn 1g 5a
Keating 2g 2a
Garreffa 1g 1a
Hoefenmayer 1g 1a
Hoelscher 1g 1a

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Great outlet pass by Hoef there right to the NB player and then he’s unable to recover and turn to play the defence. North Bay scores.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Really liking how Cranley is looking, It is not just about the results, it is about how confident he is playing, You can see it in his positioning. HE i staying square and doesn’t seem to be giving space, Cushing his size to cover the net. You typically don’t see juicy rebounds either.

I do think he can take the reigns next year and to be honest, if Andree goes down, he really could do the job if he stays confident. That is the one factor with Andree I like. Poor results don’t faze him. Cranley hasn’t really been tested that way yet.

On a side note, 5th round pick Max Donoso has four shutouts this year with Salisbury Prep. They are a top 3 ranked PRep school. I don’t know what his plans are but it seems like he may be a solid prospect as well.

Boris67

Jan 11, 2020
When the Petes are playing their game, they are a better overall team without a doubt.

The lack of depth on Ottawa is apparent.

This is not doom and gloom. Ottawa hasn’t been playing for anything the last 4 weeks or so. At some point they will have to gear up.

In all fairness, there is no sense peaking with 20 games left either so....

“a better overall team without a doubt” ??
really think this is a super weak take ... I think you are underestimating firepower of 67’s here ...plus
... your 5th and 6th d and your 12 th forward do not see a lot of ice in playoff crunch time...big guns will be leaned on heavy in a 7 gamer

if Petes and 67’s do meet up - I like the 8 loss 67’s chances of pulling off the upset.[/QUOTE]

SidSixpointSeven

Nov 1, 2019
Good thing we won yesterday, I can't imagine having to read through another round of posts about how we have no depth, aren't big enough, aren't tough enough, can't skate etc. This team has won 25 of their last 27 games and is ranked #1 in the CHL. Clearly, Mr. Boyd and Mr. Tourigny don't have a clue ...

The amount of negativity from some of the armchair experts on this Board continues to astound me ...

Runback

Jul 26, 2014
We’ll see who is right in about 6 months or so.

I think regardless of who is right or wrong scouting wise I would hope that you can eventually look yourself in the mirror and realize that was a gratuitous,, unnecessary and self-serving post, given that's your main takeaway from a 9-1 game. This is a 20 year old kid who has been a spectacular junior player the whole year. Will he make a great pro? Frankly, who cares. He's the engine that drives this team's offence THIS year. Not sure where we'd be without him. You seem like a relatively smart guy but maybe rein yourself in a bit with Hoef. I think you've already made your opinion on him more than crystal clear.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Good thing we won yesterday, I can't imagine having to read through another round of posts about how we have no depth, aren't big enough, aren't tough enough, can't skate etc. This team has won 25 of their last 27 games and is ranked #1 in the CHL. Clearly, Mr. Boyd and Mr. Tourigny don't have a clue ...

The amount of negativity from some of the armchair experts on this Board continues to astound me ...

You do realize that assessment is based on their ability to win a Championship against one or two other top flight teams, right?

One of those teams we are measured against is 4-1 vs Ottawa.

Many of the attributes a lot on here have suggested needed being addressed at the deadline were not addressed and the team that is 4-1 against us has those attributes.

Regular season doesn't mean a lot. You can pad your stats in this league against the bottom half of the league.

I've been around this league for a long time. Ottawa has a great team but IMO the Petes are a better playoff team. If both teams are healthy and playing to their potential, the Petes should win.

London is also very deep.

Ottawa had an opportunity to address some of their weaknesses and chose not to. That put both London and Peterborough on the same level as Ottawa.

With respect to Hoefenmayer, those comments are in relation to his chances of being a successful pro. That has zero to do with his ability at this level.

We'll see what happens.

This is a discussion board, not a cheerleader board. Some of us will discuss topics slightly more advanced than others. I enjoy discussion topics more controversial in an effort to expand discussion past the typcial "great game tonight" talk. We should all be able to have those discussions without the sarcasm of a few people that maybe feel their feathers are ruffled because their team is not discussed in a perfect light.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think regardless of who is right or wrong scouting wise I would hope that you can eventually look yourself in the mirror and realize that was a gratuitous,, unnecessary and self-serving post, given that's your main takeaway from a 9-1 game. This is a 20 year old kid who has been a spectacular junior player the whole year. Will he make a great pro? Frankly, who cares. He's the engine that drives this team's offence THIS year. Not sure where we'd be without him. You seem like a relatively smart guy but maybe rein yourself in a bit with Hoef. I think you've already made your opinion on him more than crystal clear.

I can understand your stance.

Certain players have holes in their game that go relatively unseen. That was an example of one of his weaknesses. It was a bad outlet pass. He isn't particularly great at that aspect of his game. It is another reason why his pro ability isn't there.

This isn't meant to be disrespectful. These players open themselves up for accolades as well as criicism. I feel as long as it stays based on their on ice abilities, assessments are fair game, whether they be positive or negative.

It would be different if I were to suggest he were a piece of crap hockey player and leave it at that.

I give specific examples of where his weaknesses lie. I also have balanced that with praise for his strengths.

There is no doubt Noel is a very successful OHL player. He, like thousands of other very successful OHL players, are not destined for successful pro careers because their games don't translate at the next level.

I've made my arguement as to why I feel that to be the case. That doesn't diminish the fact he has been very productive at the OHL level. It doesn't diminish the fact he seems, by all accounts, to be an exceptional teammate and good person.

In a 9-1 game, if we are to critique something, you would think it starts with the giveaway that led to the lone goal against, wouldn't you?

Reactions: sirius67fan

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009

Same old OMG / One Man Gang.

Gotta take him with a shaker full of salt sometimes.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014

'rein yourself in..' ?? He was asked about Hoefs pro potential and gave his opinion..(skating is a weakness). Whats the issue here?
And in general..I think folks probably get a little too excited with the offensive numbers that some of the top overagers in the league tend to produce . Keep in mind these guys are 20 (21 as of jan. in Hoefs case) playing against 16, 17 and 18yrsolds. That difference ...teen vs adult ,can be a significant advantage so I suggest taking some of these gaudy offensive numbers with a grain of salt . I mean look at Felly . He absolutely demolishes the O last season as an OA and yet having very average start ( stat wise) to his first pro season in the AHL. So lets all just relax and watch Hoef and teamates try and take this home!

SidSixpointSeven

Nov 1, 2019
For the record Ottawa has 2 wins against Peterborough (I know this for a fact because I was actually there for one of them). It was 6 - 1 Ottawa in case you missed it ...

Reactions: 67hockeyfan

analyser

Jan 7, 2014

Well this #1 ranking might be getting to their heads. They have won 25 of 27 games but lost both to the Pete's and are 2-4 against them for the season. It is not rocket science the Pete's size really limits the 67s skill potential. Grondin can hit whoever he wants and nobody steps up.

The competition is the east is not what was expected especially from the Pete's due to injuries, sickness, inconsistency or whatever. Ottawa has had it pretty easy at the top lately and have not looked that great in their last stretch of games.

Boyd could of upgraded at the deadline with another offensive player as well as added some size for playoff time. Just mention Guelph from last season.

Management could of separated us from the rest but now it is a crapshoot with 4 pretty strong teams waiting for the west title. You still have to get out of the east and then meet 1 of 4. The ideal scenario is the Pete's get knocked out early or Tourigny has to find a different approach when playing them in the playoffs.

Winning 9-1 against North Bay proves very little but may help their ego. The last 2 games against the Pete's should be on their minds for sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad