Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Just looking at the standings
There are only 5 teams that are definitely sellers the problem is that at least one of them (Kingston) has nothing to sell.

Mississauga
Kingston
North Bay
Soo
Kitchener

Possible

Sarnia
OS
Hamilton
Niagara

Buyers

Petes
67's
London
Windsor
Guelph

Oshawa I think will make minor trades

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Just out of curiosity, why is Peterborough always listed in first place, even though Ottawa has a better win percentage and more wins? I have seen this for a couple of weeks now.

upload_2019-12-2_9-1-3.png

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Beast...

Regarding Rippon and Okhotyuk, I made a case for trading Okhotyuk IF we were able to upgrade our forwards with a dynamic Import. However, I don't see a likelihood of a Rippon deal. I see him as a quality OA next year. He's also versatile in that he can play a decent defensive role as well as jump into the play a bit an contribute. He does neither at an elite level but he does do both above average.

As Sirius has suggested, going with unproven young defence isn't ideal. As the season progresses, it gets more and more difficult.

It is likely one of Belanger or Matier is traded since those are the desired players on the market to rebuilding teams. That said, we may be able to acquire an import forward for picks as opposed to players, hence the possibility of a roster juggle seeing Okhotyuk dealt. Again, not necessarily likely but it is plausable.

In support of your point, I do feel Costantini has aquitted himself very nicely. I don't see a big difference between him and Wilson with the exception of Wilson being more of an enforcer if needed. I can see that pairing remain the same with him and Bahl together if no significant moves are made on the back end.

Sawyer, although I really do like his game, is not ready to be a playoff D-Man on a Championship team.

I see Belanger, if he remains, as a better forward on this year's team. He produced quite well with Quinn and Hoelscher and I see him returning to the spaot when Okhotyuk and Rippon return. If no significant moves are made, I am not sure he is in the top 6 of these 8 guys. I see Matier and Costantini ahead of him.

I agree about Matier. I think he can easily play a bottom pairing role even on a Championship team.

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Just out of curiosity, why is Peterborough always listed in first place, even though Ottawa has a better win percentage and more wins? I have seen this for a couple of weeks now.

View attachment 285491

I was wondering that as well. Although ROW" Regulation and Overtime Wins are not listed in the standings, that may be the tiebreaker? I know we do have a couple shootout wins so....

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
Just saw on Twitter that Noel has left Oshawa. Don’t know why. Former players rave about how well they are treated in Oshawa.
Obvious possible destination would be home town Ottawa.

what are you sending to Oshawa?

He’s a big time player when playing with the right line.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Just saw on Twitter that Noel has left Oshawa. Don’t know why. Former players rave about how well they are treated in Oshawa.
Obvious possible destination would be home town Ottawa.

what are you sending to Oshawa?

He’s a big time player when playing with the right line.

Noel is a great player and a local Ottawa kid but I'm not sure that he's what Ottawa will be looking for. We have Quinn, Keating, Gareffa and Clarke as high end wingers but really need a solid playmaker to come in to stretch the team to three lines. Akil Thomas would be the obvious high water mark target that could push the team to nine deep.

If Ottawa could pick up Noel for picks only, maybe we'd still have the ammunition to pick up a Center as well. Would 2 x 2nds, 1 x 3rd and 1 x 4th get the deal done for Noel? Probably not. On a side note, not sure that it will come into play but you guys pilfered us on the Dylan Robinson trade. He seemingly hadn't recovered from his injury when he got to Ottawa. Would that cause a reduced price to keep goodwill between the teams? Purely speculation on my part, but worth asking.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
In a bad market, Noel would go for three 2nds and two 3rds and go up from there depending on how strong the trade market is.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
It would be great to see the team make a surprise signing to bolster the team on top of potential trades.

Here are a few possibilities:

Riley McCutcheon- 2000 born Forward, great stats in OJHL but has only played in two games so far at Vermont:
Riley McCutcheon at eliteprospects.com

Ethan Manderville- 2000 born Forward, looked good in camp a few years back but had only 27 points in the CCHL last year. Has only played in one game so far for Colgate:
Ethan Manderville at eliteprospects.com

Would either 2002 born Forwards Colby Ambrosio ( Colby Ambrosio at eliteprospects.com ) or Dylan Peterson (Dylan Peterson at eliteprospects.com ) mix it up and join this team over the holidays? It would be very, very unlikely but both players would get great exposure to scouts playing beside possible two possible first rounders in Rossi and Quinn.

Is there another Mat Foget player out there not getting enough ice in the NCAA who could be signed as a Free Agent?

Ottawa has third line minutes to offer, large numbers of scouts who will be watching the team closely and a team who has a shot at an OHL championship.

Reactions: sirius67fan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
It would be great to see the team make a surprise signing to bolster the team on top of potential trades.

Here are a few possibilities:

Riley McCutcheon- 2000 born Forward, great stats in OJHL but has only played in two games so far at Vermont:
Riley McCutcheon at eliteprospects.com

Ethan Manderville- 2000 born Forward, looked good in camp a few years back but had only 27 points in the CCHL last year. Has only played in one game so far for Colgate:
Ethan Manderville at eliteprospects.com

Would either 2002 born Forwards Colby Ambrosio ( Colby Ambrosio at eliteprospects.com ) or Dylan Peterson (Dylan Peterson at eliteprospects.com ) mix it up and join this team over the holidays? It would be very, very unlikely but both players would get great exposure to scouts playing beside possible two possible first rounders in Rossi and Quinn.

Is there another Mat Foget player out there not getting enough ice in the NCAA who could be signed as a Free Agent?

Ottawa has third line minutes to offer, large numbers of scouts who will be watching the team closely and a team who has a shot at an OHL championship.
Yes it would be great to get at least a solid third liner to boost the line up without using our picks which we can keep for other needs. Ambrosio would be great but he formely signed his ncaa commit a week or so ago so he seems firm on ncaa. I wouldn't count on him or Peterson this year. However if they go high in the draft their nhl teams might nudge them here next year depending on their development plans.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yes it would be great to get at least a solid third liner to boost the line up without using our picks which we can keep for other needs. Ambrosio would be great but he formely signed his ncaa commit a week or so ago so he seems firm on ncaa. I wouldn't count on him or Peterson this year. However if they go high in the draft their nhl teams might nudge them here next year depending on their development plans.

Seems more likley they be used in a trade and they miraculously sign with the team they get traded to.....

Not like that ever happens....

Swankler 22 points in 27 games
Afanaseyev 23 points in 23 games

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Still amazed we're 20-6 considering we're getting limited production from our bottom 6. Took a look at the stats an I realize +/- can be deceiving. But our bottom 6 ( yule. Beck, johnston, tourigny, crete and Tolnai ) are a combined -6 which is essentially a wash over 26 games. Conclusion, our bottom 6 is not helping us win but they are preventing us from losing and then the top two lines are doing their thing. Good cozching defensively is an aspect of this imo.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Seems more likley they be used in a trade and they miraculously sign with the team they get traded to.....

Not like that ever happens....

Swankler 22 points in 27 games
Afanaseyev 23 points in 23 games

Both Swankler and Afanasyev would be perfect on this team on the 2nd or 3rd lines. It's surprising to me that neither would come here given our recent success.

These types of signings are what really separate the London/Soo teams from the rest of the pack. Let's hope that Mr. Boyd has something up his sleeve this year.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
If the teams gets Clarke back and can add two high impact forwards to go along with him they will be scary good. The team is essentially doing all of their damage with five high end forwards (six if Belanger is moved back to the wing).

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Both Swankler and Afanasyev would be perfect on this team on the 2nd or 3rd lines. It's surprising to me that neither would come here given our recent success.

These types of signings are what really separate the London/Soo teams from the rest of the pack. Let's hope that Mr. Boyd has something up his sleeve this year.

Except in this case it was Erie and Windsor....

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If the teams gets Clarke back and can add two high impact forwards to go along with him they will be scary good. The team is essentially doing all of their damage with five high end forwards (six if Belanger is moved back to the wing).

I agree.

I think once the defence is back enough to free up Belanger, he goes with Hoelscher and Quinn.

I'm not certain Varga will produce any offence so if we did acquire forwards for a 3rd line, we'd need a centre and a winger.

I am also thinking if we were to acquire a guy like Thomas, maybe sliding Garreffa to his line and slipping Clarke back to Rossi and Keating might not be a bad idea.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I agree.

I think once the defence is back enough to free up Belanger, he goes with Hoelscher and Quinn.

I'm not certain Varga will produce any offence so if we did acquire forwards for a 3rd line, we'd need a centre and a winger.

I am also thinking if we were to acquire a guy like Thomas, maybe sliding Garreffa to his line and slipping Clarke back to Rossi and Keating might not be a bad idea.
I would not mess with that top line, they are just too dominant, jmo.

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
I agree.

If the price is Matier, 2-2nds and a 3rd for Thomas.... do you do it?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If the price is Matier, 2-2nds and a 3rd for Thomas.... do you do it?

No. I think there will be cheaper options out there that would satisfy our needs.

I don't have an issue trading the player but adding all those picks is too much.

We'll see how the market unfolds.

We don't need a bonafide #1 centre. We can go with a quality 2nd line centre and winger in the same production category as Hoelscher and Quinn and probably not have to give that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad