Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't understand this talk of trading Rippon/Okhotiuk in a go for it year. They are half our top four. As good as Costantini, Matier etc have been playing we can't go go into the playoffs with one of those in the top four. Now if we acquire a top four D (Harley for example) then yes I could see one of the two getting dealt for a forward. Otherwise it would be foolish.

There isn't talk of it. It was just a scenario that would open the door for it to happen.

I'm not sure either are worth anything to be honest.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I should clarify some of the talk of trading Rippon/Okhotyuk.

There are scenario’s that do make sense. I did mention Janik being a potential trade target for contending teams with an open Import spot available. Ottawa doesn’t have an open Import spot but they could move out Okhotyuk to make room for Janik.

Usually Imports cost much less because there is less demand for them. So, if Ottawa needs to add some scoring and are unable to do so through regular channels, they could get creative by moving out Okhotyuk to make room for Janik.

On the surface, as Sirius suggests, why trade at op 4 D-Man? Well, the difference between Okhotyuk and Matier on the 2nd pairing isn’t all that much. The third pairing will only play about 10-12 minutes anyway.

If we want to keep MAtier and still want to add a league leading scoring talent, a kid like Janik may be way more affordable. But to make that happen, it would mean we’d have to move Okhotyuk to make it happen.

I am not suggesting this is what we should do, only it is a scenario that may present itself should the 67’s not want to part with Matier and they are handcuffed not being able to make deals without the inclusion of Matier.

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I should clarify some of the talk of trading Rippon/Okhotyuk.

There are scenario’s that do make sense. I did mention Janik being a potential trade target for contending teams with an open Import spot available. Ottawa doesn’t have an open Import spot but they could move out Okhotyuk to make room for Janik.

Usually Imports cost much less because there is less demand for them. So, if Ottawa needs to add some scoring and are unable to do so through regular channels, they could get creative by moving out Okhotyuk to make room for Janik.

On the surface, as Sirius suggests, why trade at op 4 D-Man? Well, the difference between Okhotyuk and Matier on the 2nd pairing isn’t all that much. The third pairing will only play about 10-12 minutes anyway.

If we want to keep MAtier and still want to add a league leading scoring talent, a kid like Janik may be way more affordable. But to make that happen, it would mean we’d have to move Okhotyuk to make it happen.

I am not suggesting this is what we should do, only it is a scenario that may present itself should the 67’s not want to part with Matier and they are handcuffed not being able to make deals without the inclusion of Matier.
Look I do agree there are some scenarios where moving a D makes sense but I disagree that there would not be a big difference between a second pairing of Rippon/Okhotiuk and Rippon/Matier. I am really surprised at this comment coming from you. You have said many times over the years that you need experience on D to win and you would be willing to go in the playoffs with a 16 y.o. on your second pairing?

Reactions: BarberPole9

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Look I do agree there are some scenarios where moving a D makes sense but I disagree that there would not be a big difference between a second pairing of Rippon/Okhotiuk and Rippon/Matier. I am really surprised at this comment coming from you. You have said many times over the years that you need experience on D to win and you would be willing to go in the playoffs with a 16 y.o. on your second pairing?

We’d be doing ourselves a significant disservice if we didn’t explore all possibilities of improving the roster. You cannot look at one transaction by itself. You have to look at all of them as a whole and evaluate the team that comes out the other side of the deadline.

You are choosing to look at this as a one trade scenario. I am looking at it as many pieces going out and many pieces coming in.

We have two Import spots available to us. Potentially speaking, we can do better with those import spots. We did the same with OA spots. We dished off Wilson and upgraded the OA pool with Garreffa. We can also do the same with Imports. We “could” dish off Okhotyuk and bring in Janik.

That does not mean Rippon and Matier WILL be our 2nd pairing. But, hypothetically speaking, if we are unable to add a significant defenceman (Harley), we wouldn’t be significantly worse with Rippon-Matier.

If you want complete and transparent honesty, I am not sure Okhotyuk can even stay on the ice long enough to make it through the playoffs unscathed. He’s missed a significant number of games. He may be that guy that struggles to stay in the lineup. We may be forced to look hard at the possibility of finding a more reliable Import.

Reactions: three dog night

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Thought the game would have drawn a few more people.
Saturday afternoon game and the Christmas Market had just opened at Lansdowne Park. Le Droit reported that attendance was 4,100, which is still not bad.

Besides, I’m sure most fans would prefer to come out for the Britney Spears Appreciation Game today against the league’s last place team :)

Reactions: three dog night

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I think I will resort to the radio broadcast using headphones for the audio and just watch the play on the ice. No Britney Spears, my ears can't take it.

Reactions: 67hockeyfan

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
EKuKEcvXsAEsjCl.jpg:small

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa

Varga getting a shot in that 2nd line RW role. Tolnai had been there a couple games and Jack Beck at the beginning of the season. I feel like Yanic Crete could be a fit in this trio as he’s shown a nice pair of hands in the past month.

I chatted with Rippon and Okhotyuk at the game yesterday as they were signing autographs and both said that they will be back really soon. Dylan Robinson and Graeme Clarke were there too are obviously out long term.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Saturday afternoon game and the Christmas Market had just opened at Lansdowne Park. Le Droit reported that attendance was 4,100, which is still not bad.

Besides, I’m sure most fans would prefer to come out for the Britney Spears Appreciation Game today against the league’s last place team :)

There was a big crowd yesterday- I would have guessed 5,000 or so. It seems that Ottawa is the only team I follow that doesn’t exaggerate the bums in seats.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
There was a big crowd yesterday- I would have guessed 5,000 or so. It seems that Ottawa is the only team I follow that doesn’t exaggerate the bums in seats.
No there wasn’t box score said just over 2,800 wish looked right watching the highlights.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Varga getting a shot in that 2nd line RW role. Tolnai had been there a couple games and Jack Beck at the beginning of the season. I feel like Yanic Crete could be a fit in this trio as he’s shown a nice pair of hands in the past month.

I chatted with Rippon and Okhotyuk at the game yesterday as they were signing autographs and both said that they will be back really soon. Dylan Robinson and Graeme Clarke were there too are obviously out long term.

I agree about Crete, He’s been playing with a lot of confidence off the wing lately.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
OHL scoring

Rossi 4th - 49 pts

Keating 8th - 42 pts

Hoefenmayer 15th 35 pts

Garreffa 23rd - 31 pts

Quinn 32nd - 29 pts

sec20forever

Aug 11, 2015
it was not pretty but we won. Ottawa was sloppy in the second period then turned it on a bit in the third to win going away.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Looking at the defence it seems that there may not be a spot for Rippon or Ok when they come back. Those pairings seem to be doing well.

If that is the case then it would leave both open to being traded for either mid-card of draft picks to bundle.
I can not see them trading any of the young guns

Matier is playing well and next year will be a stud.
Sawyer is a steady and good player that like Matier will be a good solid defenceman
Belanger has shown that not only can he be a good defenseman but he can also play forward with good hands and skill

OK will either be playing pro somewhere next year or would be an OA defense that has no real value on this team.

Rippon is a good solid player but I am not sure he adds anything we are not getting already.

Thoughts

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad