Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I would not mess with that top line, they are just too dominant, jmo.

I understand your scentiment. That said, they were scoring heavy when Clarke was on that line too. If we acquire a 2nd tier centre cheaper, we may find better balance with Garreffa on the wing.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think the 67’s would be comfortable with:

Tolnai
Two 2nd’s
One 3rd
Two 4th’s

That won’t get Thomas or Harley, I don’t believe. But, it may get them someone like Hillis or Dudas.

If they want to go big game hunting, they have to pack the large calibre ammunition. You’re looking at Matier and Belanger at that point. Or, you are looking at a pick heavy deal and then a transfer of one of the 16 year olds like Sirizzotti going back for a couple 2nds in the summer (ex. Maggio to Windsor in the DiPietro deal).

Reactions: three dog night

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
IceDogs don’t need a RD. They have Enright who was picked just before Matier and they also have Cato, both 2003.
The Dogs could solidify their backend for years if they got Matier. They’ve seemed to have struck gold between the pipes with Tynan. Having Enright, Cato, Chanton and Matier for the next three years or 4 years is enticing.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The Dogs could solidify their backend for years if they got Matier. They’ve seemed to have struck gold between the pipes with Tynan. Having Enright, Cato, Chanton and Matier for the next three years or 4 years is enticing.

IceDogs do odd things like trade 4th-‘19 & 2-3rds for a ‘19-3rd; then announce ahead of the pick that they are selecting Cato; so, I suppose trading for Matier is not out of the question. But, 3-‘03 RD does not seem ideal

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Just out of curiosity, why is Peterborough always listed in first place, even though Ottawa has a better win percentage and more wins? I have seen this for a couple of weeks now.

View attachment 285491

The reason Peterborough is listed in first place is because In case of tie in the standings the first tiebreaker is that shoot-out wins are are not counted. Ottawa has two shoot-out wins, Peterborough have none. There wins are either in regulation or in overtime.

Last edited:
Reactions: three dog night

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The reason Peterborough is listed in first place is because In case of tie in the standings the first tiebreaker is that shoot-out wins are are not counted. Ottawa has two shoot-out wins, Peterborough have none. There wins are either in regulation or in overtime.

This is accurate. Finally had a chance to look it up.

1 - ROW - regulaTion and OT wins is first tie breaker
2 - head to head record (most points in games against each other)
3 - Goal differential
4 - Coin toss

I believe this was the case for the draft a couple years ago when Ottawa and Guelph tied in the standings through the first three tie breakers and no one knew who would pick first between them in the draft. Ottawa picked Tolnai ahead of Guelph picking Chayka.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Dante Salituro, i see is now playing in the ECHL with Worcester.
After being released by the Minnesota Wild at the end of the past season, he then signed with the Indy Fuel in August, but left them and signed for SaiPa in Finland’s Liiga, playing in three games and earning a -2 rating before being released and returning to Indy. In two games with Indy, Salituro registered one assist and a -2 rating, who then traded him to Worcester Railers on Nov 19, since then he has played 3 games and has 4g 2a 6pts.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Is anybody else going to the game in Gatineau tomorrow? I will be making my debut in the "Old Bob"

Not that the 67's need an easy matchup, but the Olympiques are a tire fire right now. They are 17/18 in the standings, have lost seven in a row and are three points from the basement in the Q. In reading a couple posts on twitter, it looks like their fan's apathy is at an all time high. That being said, this weekend will be the Olympiques' Stanley Cup Final.

Creed Jones, former DC of Ottawa in the Midget draft is one of their goalies. Alex Hogue, former Sarnia Sting 2nd rounder is one of their top D.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG

I know that everyone wants us to be a buyer but just wondering.

Flint is probably going for it this year but do not have the defence. I can see them making an offer to the 67's for Bahl.
If that were the case what would be a fair price for him especially if he has a good WJC?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
OMG

Flint is probably going for it this year but do not have the defence. I can see them making an offer to the 67's for Bahl.
If that were the case what would be a fair price for him especially if he has a good WJC?

Well if it’s up to me, you can have the wolves ‘03-1st and an ‘01 born D plus a goalie and every pick they have for Bahl & Rossi & Andree.
I think you’re being ridiculous. The ‘67s are the team to beat.
Flint’s D is among the league’s best, imo. I think they need a top scoring OA winger to improve that PP, and facilitate a trade for Vierling apparently.

Last edited:
Reactions: BarberPole9

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG

The big problem with the situation I suggested at the beginning of the year about pushing assets forward is both Tolnai and Robinson look like a washout. Therefore, it doesn't make sense this year to sell. It makes more sense to buy this year and sell next year to build around the 2003 group. Try to keep next year's 2nd's and use the future 2nds. If you can move Tolnai as a main piece in a deal, do it.

The way Rossi is playing right now, if Europe is a real option next year, he won't be back. He's the most dynamic playmaking centre in the league right now.

Too much added information points to a buy this year and a sell next year.

I would wait until close to the last minute to see what we need. We may be better off almost staying status quo and then selling next year to build assets to surround the 2003's. It just depends on if anyone goes crazy like guelph last year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Further to the above, the 2002 draft is somewhat of a wash. Cranley was a 2nd round pick. He'd project as an OA with the 2003's 19 year old season.

That leaves Tolnai, Belanger, Crete and Costantini. Maggio was traded and we have a few highly picked NCAA recruits that don't look like they will report. We also have Robinson in that age group. This isn't the basis of a competitive group when they are 19... at least in my estimation.

Based on that, there is no real incentive to worry about any of these players as assets pushing forward with the exception of Cranley. They can use all these players in potential deals this year and it wouldn't adversely affect the team too much.

The key is hoping the 2003's all develop. Then have a good followup 2004's draft this coming spring.

I would use those players moreso than the draft picks, if possible, in trades this year.

Reactions: sirius67fan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Further to the above, the 2002 draft is somewhat of a wash. Cranley was a 2nd round pick. He'd project as an OA with the 2003's 19 year old season.

That leaves Tolnai, Belanger, Crete and Costantini. Maggio was traded and we have a few highly picked NCAA recruits that don't look like they will report. We also have Robinson in that age group. This isn't the basis of a competitive group when they are 19... at least in my estimation.

Based on that, there is no real incentive to worry about any of these players as assets pushing forward with the exception of Cranley. They can use all these players in potential deals this year and it wouldn't adversely affect the team too much.

The key is hoping the 2003's all develop. Then have a good followup 2004's draft this coming spring.

I would use those players moreso than the draft picks, if possible, in trades this year.
Good analysis Omg and I agree. I had suggested something similar a few weeks ago that we spare our 03's for the rebuild and man I want to keep Matier. Belanger would have solid trade value and hate to see him go but we need to poney up. I still think Tolnai has value also. He will be a solid player in this league but not a star. I could see his development similar to the Petes Gallant who had a rough start but turned into a solid player in his 19/20 y.o. season. Between those two and picks we should be able to acquire what we need. As an aside I'm hoping we can keep Costantini as he's impressing me more and more and projects as an OA with the 03's. As for Robinson all we can hope for is he recovers from the injury and develops to give us a solid third OA with Cranley/Costantini in three years.

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Good analysis Omg and I agree. I had suggested something similar a few weeks ago that we spare our 03's for the rebuild and man I want to keep Matier. Belanger would have solid trade value and hate to see him go but we need to poney up. I still think Tolnai has value also. He will be a solid player in this league but not a star. I could see his development similar to the Petes Gallant who had a rough start but turned into a solid player in his 19/20 y.o. season. Between those two and picks we should be able to acquire what we need. As an aside I'm hoping we can keep Costantini as he's impressing me more and more and projects as an OA with the 03's. As for Robinson all we can hope for is he recovers from the injury and develops to give us a solid third OA with Cranley/Costantini in three years.

Yes. We'll see what the future holds but I think we need to keep the 2020 picks if possible. I'm not sure we need the type of player that "demands" Matier. I'd trade him for Harley and hope Harley returns. We'd then be able to recoup almost all the assets traded by dishing him off next year. No guarantee he returns though which makes that deal pretty tough.

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
Yes. We'll see what the future holds but I think we need to keep the 2020 picks if possible. I'm not sure we need the type of player that "demands" Matier. I'd trade him for Harley and hope Harley returns. We'd then be able to recoup almost all the assets traded by dishing him off next year. No guarantee he returns though which makes that deal pretty tough.
You don't think you need to load up to beat London or the Petes? With all due respect, everyone thought the 67's were far and away the best team all year last year and didn't get it done. Wouldn't you push anything it takes in to get a championship this year?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You don't think you need to load up to beat London or the Petes? With all due respect, everyone thought the 67's were far and away the best team all year last year and didn't get it done. Wouldn't you push anything it takes in to get a championship this year?

What I said was I don't think we need a player that requires Matier in return. To me there are only two players out there potentially available that would more than likey require Matier and they are Thomas and Harley.

I'd do Harley if I felt he would return next year. I wouldn't do Thomas. Kaliev is probably the 3rd guy but I doubt he's available this year.

There is no opne else I would give Matier for.

I would make all of the following available in trades:
Tolnai
Robinson
Belanger
Costantini
Crete
Yule
Varga
Okhotyuk (if we could get Janik)
All our available picks from 2021 on.

Ottawa still can load up, just not with first line players they don't need that would cost the ridiculous amounts like your first rounder ++

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Good interview with James Boyd: https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/boyd-marco-rossi-reminds-me-of-patrice-bergeron-1.1409106

Sounds like he wants to add to the forward group, but wants to see what the team will look like after all their guys return from injury. Okhotyuk and Rippon will be big boosts and Graeme Clarke will be like a huge trade deadline addition.

He thinks that the scoring is imbalanced but is very happy with the top two lines and thinks that the other two lines will get better once the young guys continue to build confidence.

Marco Rossi comp is Patrice Bergeron for James Boyd. He's better than they thought that he would be at this point. He thinks that both Rossi and Jack Quinn will be first round picks.

He thinks that Kevin Bahl has been the most dominant D in the OHL this year and has been happy with his offensive growth this year.

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
ELJJVN9W4AASVOL.jpg:large

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Here at the Bob and there are a lot of 67’s jerseys and a really loud Eminem song that a shocking number of Gatineau fans can sing word for word!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->