Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
I can't see either Rippon or Okhotyuk being traded. They are clearly our #3 and #4 defencemen and 19 year olds to boot.

The talk of them regressing is very premature. Okhotyuk looked awesome in the couple games before he was hurt. Rippon may have been playing hurt all year. Every contending team in the league would want these guys so why would we, as a prime contending team trade them.

Right now, with everybody healthy I can see our D shaping out like this:
Bahl-Hoefenmayer
Rippon-Okhotyuk
Belanger-Matier
Costantini
Sawyer

Can't see us moving either Matier or Costantini unless a good veteran D is coming back as we are already lean on the blueline.

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa has a rare opportunity to make up for last year and push chips in. Go for it.

Gogolev and Hillis for Matier, Tolnai and picks (2020 3rd, 2022 2nd and conditionals if they play as OA's). There's your top 6.

Gogolev is a nice player but his playoff stats are horrendous. I would only look at Gogolev as a last resort at a discount. He’s having a tremendous year so far and he looks really enticing but his playoff numbers scare the crap out of me.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I can't see either Rippon or Okhotyuk being traded. They are clearly our #3 and #4 defencemen and 19 year olds to boot.

The talk of them regressing is very premature. Okhotyuk looked awesome in the couple games before he was hurt. Rippon may have been playing hurt all year. Every contending team in the league would want these guys so why would we, as a prime contending team trade them.

Right now, with everybody healthy I can see our D shaping out like this:
Bahl-Hoefenmayer
Rippon-Okhotyuk
Belanger-Matier
Costantini
Sawyer

Can't see us moving either Matier or Costantini unless a good veteran D is coming back as we are already lean on the blueline.

There are definitely scenario’s that could see either or both of those players traded. See Oshawa last year for examples of it.

On the Okhotyuk front, I could see it if it was the way we could address the Forward issue. For example, if there were a possible 3-way deal that would land Jenik here from Hamilton, it could be of benefit. I’d rather have Jenik and Costantini in the starting lineup rather than Okhotyuk alone. That sort of deal could be Ottawa trading Okhotyuk to a Western Contender and then those assets go to Hamilton in a bigger deal for Jenik. This is not speculation on my part, just an example of a scenario but it does work in theory.

On the Rippon side, if a team like Oshawa feels Rippon would add an OA dimension to their contending team next year and Ottawa were interested in Noel, there could be a fit in some way there. Same as above where it opens a spot for Costantini to not be eating popcorn in the press box.

So there are scenario’s that would make some sense, just not the typical ones where we sell the 19 year old for a rookie and/or picks.

The reality is it is nice to have defensive depth for sure but having dead assets in the press box only has value when you sustain injuries. I think my point regarding Rippon and Okhotyuk reaching their ceiling combined with how competent Matier, Sawyer and Costantini have been in their absence just shows you can potentially use Rippon and Okhotyuk in deals provided there is value in the return that helps them reconfigure the roster in a way that aligns their assets more efficiently.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
We are starting to see that separation in the standing from a games above .500 standpoint.

In the EAST:
Ottawa & Peterborough 12 games above
Oshawa 9 games above
Sudbury & Barrie 4 games above

In the West:
Guelph & Windsor 11 above
London 10 above
Flint 6 above
Saginaw 5 above
Erie 4 above

Under normal circumstances, you would probably start to see the cream start to be considered contenders but I am not sure that is the case this year. In the West you have Windsor and Guelph both exceeding expectations so I am not sure either of those teams will start to look to buy. Whereas, Flint and Saginaw are more likely to buy. Same in the East where Barrie and Sudbury are more likely to buy than Oshawa.

We’ll have to keep a close eye on that trending gap. If that gap continues to widen in the same direction, teams like Sudbury and Barrie may stay more status quo. If so, that may leave the real contenders on the buyers market as Ottawa, Peterborough, and London.

It will be interesting to see if Guelph and Windsor continue to hang in there. IF they do, they will both be faced with a difficult decision.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Gogolev is a nice player but his playoff stats are horrendous. I would only look at Gogolev as a last resort at a discount. He’s having a tremendous year so far and he looks really enticing but his playoff numbers scare the crap out of me.

Can't really look at playoff stats in 16/17 year old seasons as an indicator of playoff success in 19/20 year old seasons. Most guys don't play a huge role at 16/17 but then are the guy by the time they're 19.

Sasha Chmelevski had 2 goals in 6 games as a 16 year old, 1 goal in 5 games as a 17 year old. But then broke out for 31 points in 18 games last year. That's usually how it goes.

Tye Felhaber had 1 combined point in his first 2 postseasons and it was a secondary assist. But then had 17 goals in 18 games last year to lead the whole playoffs

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Can't really look at playoff stats in 16/17 year old seasons as an indicator of playoff success in 19/20 year old seasons. Most guys don't play a huge role at 16/17 but then are the guy by the time they're 19.

Sasha Chmelevski had 2 goals in 6 games as a 16 year old, 1 goal in 5 games as a 17 year old. But then broke out for 31 points in 18 games last year. That's usually how it goes.

Tye Felhaber had 1 combined point in his first 2 postseasons and it was a secondary assist. But then had 17 goals in 18 games last year to lead the whole playoffs

Gogolev was a front line calibre player last season. Look at his stats...

This isn't a player on a bad team on a first round exit. This wa a player that had 10 points in a Championship on a team that went 24 games.

I will stand by my assessment that if Ottawa pays a kid like Matier, they need to get a proven stud and Gogolev is not proven.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gogolev was a front line calibre player last season. Look at his stats...

What? He had 28 points in 37 games last year....

He broke his leg as soon as he got to Guelph and then was on the 3rd line and didn't play any powerplay when he came back right before the playoffs after they had loaded up

This was their lineup

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
What? He had 28 points in 37 games last year....

He broke his leg as soon as he got to Guelph and then was on the 3rd line and didn't play any powerplay when he came back right before the playoffs after they had loaded up

This was their lineup

Are you suggesting that Gogolev has same value as say Thomas? I don't think so.

Gogolev was not on 3rd - 4th line last playoff. Toropchenko was and he completely outclassed Gogolev.

I'm not saying Gogolev can't break out. What I am saying is if Ottawa is going to trade a '19 1st, they better get a proven performer, not a guy they "hope" will break out.

The only way I go at Gogolev is if he is available late for draft picks.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Are you suggesting that Gogolev has same value as say Thomas? I don't think so.

Gogolev was not on 3rd - 4th line last playoff. Toropchenko was and he completely outclassed Gogolev.

I'm not saying Gogolev can't break out. What I am saying is if Ottawa is going to trade a '19 1st, they better get a proven performer, not a guy they "hope" will break out.

The only way I go at Gogolev is if he is available late for draft picks.

Lol what? Where in the world did that come from

No of course Gogolev doesn't have the same value as Thomas (wtf?) and I never said anything even close to that (there's a legit chance that not one person in the entire league who will be available at the deadline has the same value as Thomas lol). I said you can't judge players based on their 16/17 year old playoff totals when they're buried on the 3rd/4th line with no PP time (Toropchenko was on the #1 PP unit, so that's a bad comparison). Gogolev actually has very similar numbers to Felhaber, who by your standards was awful in his first couple playoffs but then lead the OHL in playoff goals last year, because that's usually how the junior hockey career arc goes.

Now Gogolev is on the #1 line and leading their #1 powerplay unit (and OTT's would be quite a bit more talented than Guelph's is), so to expect his playoff numbers to go back to when he was on the 3rd line getting sheltered minutes and no powerplay time doesn't seem logical to me.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Lol what? Where in the world did that come from

No of course Gogolev doesn't have the same value as Thomas (wtf?) and I never said anything even close to that (there's a legit chance that not one person in the entire league who will be available at the deadline has the same value as Thomas lol). I said you can't judge players based on their 16/17 year old playoff totals when they're buried on the 3rd/4th line with no PP time (Toropchenko was on the #1 PP unit, so that's a bad comparison). Gogolev actually has very similar numbers to Felhaber, who by your standards was awful in his first couple playoffs but then lead the OHL in playoff goals last year, because that's usually how the junior hockey career arc goes.

Now Gogolev is on the #1 line and leading their #1 powerplay unit (and OTT's would be quite a bit more talented than Guelph's is), so to expect his playoff numbers to go back to when he was on the 3rd line getting sheltered minutes and no powerplay time doesn't seem logical to me.

The original poster of the trade proposal suggested Tolnai and Matier + for Hillis and Gogolev. I would suggest that is in the same sort of ballpark as a deal centred around Thomas.

My reply was I would only make a deal for Gogolev late at a discount because of his playoff stats. When you replied to refute the use of playoff stats, I assumed you were endorsing the OP's trade value which IMO would equate to a deal for Thomas....

Hillis is in the deal as well and he's high value too so it helps but neither should be "plan A" type trade targets. If they aren't plan A types, '19 1at rounders should not ever be involved.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The term 19 yr old break out player came to be because of players like Gogalev. Whatever shortcomings he had previously are irrelevant now.

OHLoutsider2020

Aug 30, 2019
If Hayton is loaned to World Junior team there is a good chance he gets sent back to Soo following the tourney. He would be someone to consider trading Matier for.

Trades will be made as the 67s are in a position to contend and make a serious run. But I think some key role players will be added and not necessarily a star.

I don’t believe Matier gets moved. Too much upside and has already played big minutes on a short back end. He’s a big kid you can build around.

Tomasino will end up in Oshawa.
Thomas in Sudbury.
Meireles in Flint.
Damiani in Saginaw.
Kaliyev in London.
Jenik in Ottawa.

All guesses. So when I go 0-6 please take it easy.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If Hayton is loaned to World Junior team there is a good chance he gets sent back to Soo following the tourney. He would be someone to consider trading Matier for.

Trades will be made as the 67s are in a position to contend and make a serious run. But I think some key role players will be added and not necessarily a star.

I don’t believe Matier gets moved. Too much upside and has already played big minutes on a short back end. He’s a big kid you can build around.

Thomas in Sudbury.
Meireles in Flint.
Damiani in Saginaw.
Kaliyev in London.
Jenik in Ottawa.

Ohotynuk to wolves to make room for Jenik?

Runback

Jul 26, 2014
I'm good with never seeing Tolnai again but Matier is going to be a beast. I would not move him. Tolnai and picks. Plus I like having a really good team every year. There's got to be someone else who is not drinking this empty the cupboard koolade.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I don't understand this talk of trading Rippon/Okhotiuk in a go for it year. They are half our top four. As good as Costantini, Matier etc have been playing we can't go go into the playoffs with one of those in the top four. Now if we acquire a top four D (Harley for example) then yes I could see one of the two getting dealt for a forward. Otherwise it would be foolish.

Reactions: dirty12

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017

Thomas in Sudbury.
Meireles in Flint.
Damiani in Saginaw.
Kaliyev in London.
Jenik in Ottawa.

Who goes to the Petes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->