Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
If DiPietro is even remotely able to go on Sunday, does he get the start?

If he can crouch and push off with his ankle for 60 minutes, I think you have to start him.

I'd also put Tolnai in for Yule and give him some minutes with Chmelevski. At this point you have to try something to save your season.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
If he can crouch and push off with his ankle for 60 minutes, I think you have to start him.

I'd also put Tolnai in for Yule and give him some minutes with Chmelevski. At this point you have to try something to save your season.

I diasagree. Can’t panic ! Stick with who’s got you to this point. Go play your game... for the whole 60 minutes!

Reactions: 67hockeyfan

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
I diasagree. Can’t panic ! Stick with who’s got you to this point. Go play your game... for the whole 60 minutes!
Agreed. Goaltending wasn’t the issue today (with the possible exception of the third goal). Andree bailed out the 67’s on numerous occasions due to turnovers and broken plays. He’s starting to look comfortable in the net again and should be good to go Sunday. We didn’t lose the game because DiPietro wasn’t in the net.

Last edited:

ColtsFanSince95

May 11, 2019
Hey All,

Just thought I’d create an account and stop by with a perspective no one will appreciate.

We all remember the greatest Junior team of all time the ‘05 London Knights. Of course we do, they’re Champions, they went down in history.

Quick trivia... who’s the second best Junior team of all time? One Mississippi, two Mississippi.....no? It’s the 2010 Barrie Colts, but no one remembers that because they lost the OHL Championship Series.

Remember the undefeated ‘07 New England Patriots? Remember the record breaking ‘16 Golden State Warriors? No not really because they both blew any sort of legacy by losing the league championship.

Remember your 1999 Memorial Cup year? Who was the top ranked team going into the OHL playoffs that year? Not the 67’s who were preparing to host the Memorial Cup. Not the Belleville Bulls who upset you in the OHL playoffs and won the OHL title. It was the Colts who had a much better team that year then the team that won the OHL Championship for them the next year. So what happened to them in ‘99? Star goaltender Brian Finley got injured in the second round and they blew a 3-1 series lead against Oshawa b/c their second goalie was a significant downgrade. It’s the single biggest factor in Ottawa’s ‘99 Memorial Cup no 67’s fan ever even thought about.

An 18 year old Cedrick Andree is much better option than a 17 year old Mike D’Alessandro was at that time, but not having your star goalie behind you affects a teams mindset and the overall way they play, no doubt.

For what it’s worth, I hope the 67’s figure it out. They are the best team in the OHL this year, it would be a shame if they didn’t represent the league in Halifax.

Reactions: Texcanuck

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The 67's are done. Total joke of a team that folded at the first sign of adversity. Andrée has been fine, the rest of the roster vanishing when the going gets tough is pathetic.

Reactions: PhlyerPhanatic31

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Hey All,

Just thought I’d create an account and stop by with a perspective no one will appreciate.

We all remember the greatest Junior team of all time the ‘05 London Knights. Of course we do, they’re Champions, they went down in history.

Quick trivia... who’s the second best Junior team of all time? One Mississippi, two Mississippi.....no? It’s the 2010 Barrie Colts, but no one remembers that because they lost the OHL Championship Series.

Remember the undefeated ‘07 New England Patriots? Remember the record breaking ‘16 Golden State Warriors? No not really because they both blew any sort of legacy by losing the league championship.

Remember your 1999 Memorial Cup year? Who was the top ranked team going into the OHL playoffs that year? Not the 67’s who were preparing to host the Memorial Cup. Not the Belleville Bulls who upset you in the OHL playoffs and won the OHL title. It was the Colts who had a much better team that year then the team that won the OHL Championship for them the next year. So what happened to them in ‘99? Star goaltender Brian Finley got injured in the second round and they blew a 3-1 series lead against Oshawa b/c their second goalie was a significant downgrade. It’s the single biggest factor in Ottawa’s ‘99 Memorial Cup no 67’s fan ever even thought about.

An 18 year old Cedrick Andree is much better option than a 17 year old Mike D’Alessandro was at that time, but not having your star goalie behind you affects a teams mindset and the overall way they play, no doubt.

For what it’s worth, I hope the 67’s figure it out. They are the best team in the OHL this year, it would be a shame if they didn’t represent the league in Halifax.
Agree with you completely re backup goalie. Similar situation to Saginaw’s loss to Guelph this year when Prosvetov suspended and Lennox came in. The kid played great but the team stopped scoring, perhaps in an effort to help defensively. And of course, Guelph behaved like sharks around wounded prey... they surged for the kill.
I too am pulling for the 67’s but it sure feels like they’re on their heels at the moment. Hope it turns around.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Agree with you completely re backup goalie. Similar situation to Saginaw’s loss to Guelph this year when Prosvetov suspended and Lennox came in. The kid played great but the team stopped scoring, perhaps in an effort to help defensively. And of course, Guelph behaved like sharks around wounded prey... they surged for the kill.
I too am pulling for the 67’s but it sure feels like they’re on their heels at the moment. Hope it turns around.
Andree is a worthy # 1 guy in this league.

Something overlooked, the Storm has , on average, an older roster than Ottawa.

And plenty of playoff experience injected through trades.

Don't think this series is over just yet.
This entire season boils down to two of three for one of these teams.

It's gonna be whichever team comes up with the effort required, the will to get it done.

Enjoy this weekend . The 67's are a force to be reckoned with. Lots of us fans would love to be in your shoes today. Believe in your team.

Reactions: dirty12

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
What could have been.
Yes, I bet this is what Saginaw and London are also saying.

I have said all along Ottawa needed a puck moving defenseman like Holloway, Eliot, Durzi, etc. Management decided they would not move any players off the current roster so it is what it is.

I also think that losing Dipietro hasn't helped the cause. Andree has been very nervous and it is showing up at times during the game.

Yes, I bet this is what Saginaw and London are also saying.

I have said all along Ottawa needed a puck moving defenseman like Holloway, Eliot, Durzi, etc. Management decided they would not move any players off the current roster so it is what it is.

I also think that losing Dipietro hasn't helped the cause. Andree has been very nervous and it is showing up at times during the game.
Saying the exact same thing. Guelph has been a team of opportunity. They caught London when a stomach virus was ravishing the dressing room...they caught Saginaw when Provie decided he was bigger than the game and screwed his team...they caught Ottawa when Deeps went down with a season ender. All 3 teams had to resort to conserved games for various reasons and it allowed Guelph to really open it up and control which game was played by both teams. Like taking candy from a baby

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Nothing but a hunch, but I think this one is coming back to Ottawa on Monday night. Ottawa will come out flying tomorrow and I think Guelph subconsciously lets down just a tiny bit, thinking about clinching at home and packing for Halifax. (Similar to how Ottawa's kids mentally started packing for Halifax after game two.) Hey, it could go the other way, with Ottawa folding like a cheap tent at the first sign of adversity tomorrow, but somehow I think this series is destined to go the distance.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Nothing but a hunch, but I think this one is coming back to Ottawa on Monday night. Ottawa will come out flying tomorrow and I think Guelph subconsciously lets down just a tiny bit, thinking about clinching at home and packing for Halifax. (Similar to how Ottawa's kids mentally started packing for Halifax after game two.) Hey, it could go the other way, with Ottawa folding like a cheap tent at the first sign of adversity tomorrow, but somehow I think this series is destined to go the distance.
Agreed. They just have to tell the boys at the start of the game that it’s Period #3 and they need to play like it’s the third period for the full 60 minutes. If they do that, we’ll see everyone back in Ottawa Monday night!

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Ottawa has too much fight, skill and heart to fold up. I think that they will absolutely play their tails off tomorrow and force a game 7 back here on Monday. Guelph has been the comeback kids the past couple of rounds, so hopefully they are uncomfortable in this non do-or-die potentially clinching game!

Billyjack

Aug 25, 2018
Kitchener -Waterloo
Saying the exact same thing. Guelph has been a team of opportunity. They caught London when a stomach virus was ravishing the dressing room...they caught Saginaw when Provie decided he was bigger than the game and screwed his team...they caught Ottawa when Deeps went down with a season ender. All 3 teams had to resort to conserved games for various reasons and it allowed Guelph to really open it up and control which game was played by both teams. Like taking candy from a baby
why all the excuses, can u guys not just admit Guelph has a better team this year than anyone else when the chips are down. Well played Storm and George Burnett.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Not ideal for sure but we're talking we only need a "two" game winning streak. This is a good team they can do it. Also am disappointed at some of the negative comments on this board and critizising decisions when the series is not over! At least wait till its done for the post mortem. These kids have given us a great year and played their tails off. Win or lose they deserve our support. Just enjoy the ride people and appreciate the greatest hockey we've seen in a loooong time. Go boys I still believe in you.

why all the excuses, can u guys not just admit Guelph has a better team this year than anyone else when the chips are down. Well played Storm and George Burnett.
Not excuses. Guelph has had some very good fortune in these playoffs. Both self generated and generated by their opponents ill-timed misfortune. Whether self induced or and through attrition. Not taking anything away from the efforts of the team. Like I said early..when it's in the cards it's in the cards. Guelph has taken advantage of every opportunity they've got. The types of things that make you a Champ

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Andree is a worthy # 1 guy in this league.

Something overlooked, the Storm has , on average, an older roster than Ottawa.

And plenty of playoff experience injected through trades.

Don't think this series is over just yet.
This entire season boils down to two of three for one of these teams.

It's gonna be whichever team comes up with the effort required, the will to get it done.

Enjoy this weekend . The 67's are a force to be reckoned with. Lots of us fans would love to be in your shoes today. Believe in your team.

Agree. Burnett traded for a defensive unit (Hanley, Philips, Durzi, Gordeev) that could win an OHL championship this year because he had every intention of trying to win this year. That the ‘67s & wolves were unwilling to trade for a Suzuki-Durzi or Philips combo made for the perfect storm.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Not excuses. Guelph has had some very good fortune in these playoffs. Both self generated and generated by their opponents ill-timed misfortune. Whether self induced or and through attrition. Not taking anything away from the efforts of the team. Like I said early..when it's in the cards it's in the cards. Guelph has taken advantage of every opportunity they've got. The types of things that make you a Champ

As well as a GM that made great buys in a buyers market. The storm came out of the trade deadline with the best team, imo. Guelph has had to play without Hillis; London, Saginaw, and Ottawa were fortunate too.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Have not been able to watch any games but listen to them on the radio. Sounds like "high and wide" is the theme of the last 3 games. Net size does not change for the playoffs but if a team is off its game and loses focus that is usually a big tell. Team needs to bear down and concentrate on what they can control and putting their shots on net is one of the things that need to get better. Anyway carry on.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016

I agreed with "can't panic, stick to your game" for games 4 and 5, and the result was the exact same as game 3. When you're facing elimination on the road, where you've played terribly, having lost 3 games in a row, what better time is their to shake things up? This could very well be the last game of the season.

Considering no one has really generated much at all offensively, I'd go with something like this. Veteran presence on all lines. They don't have last change, so don't worry about match ups and roll all 4. Could lead to a fresher team and more offense, as the current 4th line barely gets used.

Tolnai-Chmelevski-Quinn
Maksimovich-Rossi-Chiodo
Keating-Hoelscher-Felhaber
Klark-Bitten-Clarke

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
I made it a point to watch the post-game coach/player interviews on the OHL Action Pak. One individual stood out, and he was Ottawa's coach. He stated that he didn't believe that Guelph had made any significant in-game adjustments that he could identify. Both teams were playing their game plan, and knew each other's plan quite well. His contention was that the Storm were merely executing better. He expressed that he thought that no change to Ottawa's game plan was necessary, but that his players had to improve their execution. His philosophy seemed to be: you go with what got you here. I came away with the distinct feeling that his interview wasn't all that inspirational, particularly if what the team is doing, isn't working.

Wow thanks pp31 for the kind words.
I'll always tip my hat when a team shows the moxie of a Champion. Guelph has that moxie right now and deserve the accolades even with the ill-timed mis-adventures of their opponents. Down on the mat so to speak in 3 straight series and churning the intestinal fortitude to dig that much deeper each time. Kudos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce