Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
With regards to deadline moves:

1 - I figured they should have added a D-Man and I targeted Durzi the day he was returned to the OHL. Unfortunately, he and Suzuki were a package deal at both of their request so if we wanted Durzi, we had to take Suzuki and with that pony up a package our management team was uncomfortable with. The focus then should have shifted to Mattinen but that would have eliminated Chiodo so I guess it comes down to forward or defence.

They were pretty deep up front but I really wanted Saigeon so we'd have a bigger body presence. I like Mak and Chiodo but Saigeon, to me, would have been a great fit.

No sense in crying about it now though. The team is what the team is. If they win, the management looks like geniuses. If they lose, they will wear goat horns. It will also question our ability to contend next year considering if this team was unable to get it done this year, what cost will if be to get it done next year?!

I thoroughly disagreee on this- this team is the Eastern conference champion for the first time since 2005. I am not a SJW or a Medal for Every participant type of person but this is an accomplishment worth being proud about no matter what happens here in the final.

This team will still be good and competitive next year and I'm glad that we didn't trade all of our assets like Niagara and Guelph did. There is a strong case that they can go all in next year as well and as a STH, it sure beats the season that we had when we traded Travis Konecny and bottomed out four years ago.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
I thoroughly disagreee on this- this team is the Eastern conference champion for the first time since 2005. I am not a SJW or a Medal for Every participant type of person but this is an accomplishment worth being proud about no matter what happens here in the final.

This team will still be good and competitive next year and I'm glad that we didn't trade all of our assets like Niagara and Guelph did. There is a strong case that they can go all in next year as well and as a STH, it sure beats the season that we had when we traded Travis Konecny and bottomed out four years ago.
I would agree that the trades made by management were intelligent and effective in helping us set a new franchise points record and berth in the Championship Series, without mortgaging our future.

Furthermore, the draft appears to have been very successful and the number of confirmed signings by top draft picks reinforces the profile of Ottawa as a great place to play and develop. Our performance this year may have helped play a role in enticing the commitments.

While the focus is all on Guelph this weekend (as it should be), the future looks bright for the 67’s for next year and beyond.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG While I agree that Durzi might have been a good pickup I hate the

woulda

coulda

shoulda

If the Sag goalie had kit the puck str8 instead of shanking it Guelph might not be here.

There have been many times that this team has had the players but due to injury come up short. You and I have both been around enough to remember them.

Here is a woulda coulda shoulda that no one in Ottawa remembers. If the OHL had not awarded the 67's the home team for the M Cup they would not haveeven been in the city their dressing room wouold have been completely empty.

If Killer had not sent Lance on a seek and destroy mission Calgary would have been a completely different team to play and not as easy.

If Bahl and team did not take practices so seriously he would not have been hurt.
If Andree hada come out and stoned Guelph.

Then you and others wouldn'ta and couldn't a and shouldn'ta be talking about Durzi.

Botom line to all this is that this is a team that went through some tough teams and did a good job. They were good enouogh to be cheered and commended before the series now tht they have run into difficulty all people can talk about is what they shoulda coulda or woulda done.

GIVE ME A M.F.B.

This is a team that we should be proud of that we should be cheering about that we should be behind. NOT A TEAM THAT WE SHOULD BE TALKING ABOUT THE PLAYERS THAT THEY SHOULDA WOULDA

WE ARE THE WINNING TEAM IN OTTAWA LEAVE TEH WOULD COULDA SHOULDA TO THE PEOPLE IN KANATA.

so endeth the raccon's rant

Last edited:

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I would agree that the trades made by management were intelligent and effective in helping us set a new franchise points record and berth in the Championship Series, without mortgaging our future.

Furthermore, the draft appears to have been very successful and the number of confirmed signings by top draft picks reinforces the profile of Ottawa as a great place to play and develop. Our performance this year may have helped play a role in enticing the commitments.

While the focus is all on Guelph this weekend (as it should be), the future looks bright for the 67’s for next year and beyond.
I believe that it would have been nice when you have the resources go all in for a championship as this will bring you recognition. Tell me why you waste a lot of these resources to pick up players if you do not intend to go for it. We could have been competitive with the players we already had. We wasted a lot to bring in Mikey if we didn't intend on going aĺl in.

Number one we needed that skilled defenseman and also somebody with size to compliment our rather skilled but small in stature forward group.

I don't see next year's group being more than a middle of the pack team in the eastern conference. Departing will be Fellhaber, Chiodo, Maksimovich, Clark, Chmelevski, Dipietro and Hofenmeyer. The forward group will consist of Rossi, Keating, Clarke, Hoelscher, Quinn, Tolnai Yule, Bitten, Maggio possibly Crete. I don't care who they drafted this year or last not many players come in and have a major impact immediately. This lineup is not going to really put fear amongst aĺl the other teams especially Oshawa and Sudbury.

The defense should be solid with all but 1 returning and goaltending should be fine.

Bottom line is that in 52 years we have 1 front door Memorial Cup and 1 sneak in as the home team win.

Was our ultimate goal this season to play second fiddle in the OHL championship and be content with that. Guelph picked up 6 players prior to the trade deadline and they are showing their value.

This type of opportunity does not come along often so why not try to please the dedicated fan base who have had many trying years.

I have been a fan for years and have felt many disappointments, so had we obtained Durzi and Suzuki we would be in a much more comfortable situation right now.

People can agree or disagree but this is how I feel.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12 and LR8

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
I believe that it would have been nice when you have the resources to go all in for a championship as this will bring you recognition. Tell me why you waste a lot of these resources to pick up players if you do not intend to go for it. We could have been competitive with the players we already had. We wasted a lot to bring in Mikey if we didn't intend on going aĺl in.

Number one we needed that skilled defenseman and also somebody with size to compliment our rather skilled but small in stature forward group.

I don't see next year's group being more than a middle of the pack team in the eastern conference. Departing will be Fellhaber, Chiodo, Maksimovich, Clark, Chmelevski, Dipietro and Hofenmeyer. The forward group will consist of Rossi, Keating, Clarke, Hoelscher, Quinn, Tolnai Yule, Bitten, Maggio possibly Crete. I don't care who they drafted this year or last not many players come in and have a major impact immediately. This lineup is not going to really put fear amongst aĺl the other teams especially Oshawa and Sudbury.

The defense should be solid with all but 1 returning and goaltending should be fine.

Bottom line is that in 52 years we have 1 front door Memorial Cup and 1 sneak in as the home team win.

Was our ultimate goal this season to play second fiddle in the OHL championship and be content with that. Guelph picked up 6 players prior to the trade deadline and they are showing their value.

This type of opportunity does not come along often so why not try to please the dedicated fan base who have had many trying years.

I have been a fan for years and have felt many disappointments, so had we obtained Durzi and Suzuki we would be in a much more comfortable situation right now.

As a fan, I couldn’t agree more. Coaches, players and fans all covet the ultimate prize, as they should.

However, first and foremost, this is a business. Decisions to go “all in” or not are business decisions as much as they are hockey decisions. Perhaps we could have traded for Durzi and Suzuki, but at what cost and how would that have impacted the team’s performance in future years if the trade cupboard was bare?

It appears that management is taking a long-term, balanced approach to building a sustainable, competitive program along the lines of London. Ultimately, from a business perspective, that will put more butts in seats over the long run and maybe, just maybe, win a championship for the fans along the way.

Billyjack

Aug 25, 2018
Kitchener -Waterloo
OMG While I agree that Durzi might have been a good pickup I hate the

woulda

coulda

shoulda

If the Sag goalie had kit the puck str8 instead of shanking it Guelph might not be here.

There have been many times that this team has had the players but due to injury come up short. You and I have both been around enough to remember them.

Here is a woulda coulda shoulda that no one in Ottawa remembers. If the OHL had not awarded the 67's the home team for the M Cup they would not haveeven been in the city their dressing room wouold have been completely empty.

If Killer had not sent Lance on a seek and destroy mission Calgary would have been a completely different team to play and not as easy.

If Bahl and team did not take practices so seriously he would not have been hurt.
If Andree hada come out and stoned Guelph.

Then you and others wouldn'ta and couldn't a and shouldn'ta be talking about Durzi.

Botom line to all this is that this is a team that went through some tough teams and did a good job. They were good enouogh to be cheered and commended before the series now tht they have run into difficulty all people can talk about is what they shoulda coulda or woulda done.

GIVE ME A M.F.B.

This is a team that we should be proud of that we should be cheering about that we should be behind. NOT A TEAM THAT WE SHOULD BE TALKING ABOUT THE PLAYERS THAT THEY SHOULDA WOULDA

WE ARE THE WINNING TEAM IN OTTAWA LEAVE TEH WOULD COULDA SHOULDA TO THE PEOPLE IN KANATA.

so endeth the raccon's rant
well said, love how the Ottawa fans are making excuses since they feel defeat coming. It wasn't 2 weeks ago they were spouting how great there team is and Guelph will be lucky to win a game. LOL

Reactions: Bruhin and dirty12

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
I believe that it would have been nice when you have the resources go all in for a championship as this will bring you recognition. Tell me why you waste a lot of these resources to pick up players if you do not intend to go for it. We could have been competitive with the players we already had. We wasted a lot to bring in Mikey if we didn't intend on going aĺl in.

Do I really need a coffee or did I really go into a time vortex to next Tuesday after the team lost the series? This series is tied at 2 and is far from over. Why are we counting ourselves out already?

It's going to be a great night at the rink tonight, and I think that the team will Bahl Out and give the home fans a good result. Let's keep it positive until, like 18 other fan bases we don't have a chip and a chair! :)

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
well said, love how the Ottawa fans are making excuses since they feel defeat coming. It wasn't 2 weeks ago they were spouting how great there team is and Guelph will be lucky to win a game. LOL
I beg to differ, I have been uneasy since the second round series. A lot of fans just go by what they hear in the media and they have made the team the second coming.
Guelph went out and picked up 6 players near trade deadline so they should be a very good team.
Dipietro getting hurt has not improved our chances as he was coming up with the big saves.
Bottom line should Ottawa prevail it will also be a big disappointment for Guelph. It is not over until someone wins 4 games.

Not everyone believes it was going to be a cake walk or even a series win.

Good luck to both teams.

StorminNorman

Dec 3, 2015
It appears that management is taking a long-term, balanced approach to building a sustainable, competitive program along the lines of London. Ultimately, from a business perspective, that will put more butts in seats over the long run and maybe, just maybe, win a championship for the fans along the way.

You have an interesting point. Sustained success is great for a fan as long as it does not descend into sustained mediocrity. The junior hockey cycle peak provides an interest for fans and something to look forward to. The business side would prefer the sustained predictable return with a chance at glory when the stars align.

Comparing a balanced approach to London is off the mark IMO. London has built a business model on top of a competitive market advantage of producing professional hockey players better than other teams. Long term success at identification, drafting and development has resulted in London being a preferred market to play in. They draft well and recruit players who report despite other options based on their pro development track record. Their continued success is based on a flowing talent pipeline. It is easier to run the business when the team on the ice is talented and the building is packed with paying customers.

Having an attractive market for players is good, but a balanced competitive program is not the same as annual championship expectations that London enjoys. Having prospects and picks may allow sustained success, but not necessarily the championship run. For the rest of the league, we have to ride the cycle.

Reactions: OMG67

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Must congratulate the latest posters on this forum the post are much more informative and cover things more important to most 67 fans. This has been a great final so far, of course I hope the Storm come out on top, but losing in the final, although disappointing, is still a successful. season

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The winning 67 mindset was always that you need to have a competitive team EVERY YEAR.

Especially right now. Let's face it this team has a lot of things to compete against for the almighty dollar. Now if you go for it like a lot of teams you end up with years where the team sucks. A team that sucks as we all know does not get warm bums in seats nor does it sell advertising.

I will get flack for this but Killer and now the Hunter Brothers look at it as every year we have to have a team that can be top 4 in the conference. That when it hits the ice is exciting and makes fans happy to spend their money.

The last thing that this city need is an owner like the twerp 110 miles away that every year tries to go for it and sells the farm. Look how long it has taken to get over the move to Kanata do you really think HUNT is going to shoot himself in the foot again.

not likely.

To me, a good season is a team that goes as far as its talent takes it. Would I like to see them in Halifax YES.

But more importantly, I don't want to be cheering for a team that is playing for the last playoff spot with Kingston next year.

Reactions: 67hockeyfan

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
The winning 67 mindset was always that you need to have a competitive team EVERY YEAR.

Especially right now. Let's face it this team has a lot of things to compete against for the almighty dollar. Now if you go for it like a lot of teams you end up with years where the team sucks. A team that sucks as we all know does not get warm bums in seats nor does it sell advertising.

I will get flack for this but Killer and now the Hunter Brothers look at it as every year we have to have a team that can be top 4 in the conference. That when it hits the ice is exciting and makes fans happy to spend their money.

The last thing that this city need is an owner like the twerp 110 miles away that every year tries to go for it and sells the farm. Look how long it has taken to get over the move to Kanata do you really think HUNT is going to shoot himself in the foot again.

not likely.

To me, a good season is a team that goes as far as its talent takes it. Would I like to see them in Halifax YES.

But more importantly, I don't want to be cheering for a team that is playing for the last playoff spot with Kingston next year.
We had many competitive teams under Kilrea's regiment but bums in the seats were pretty sparse.
The reason we had the crowds when Hunt came in was due to the fact of immediate success.
Teams with good management go all in 1 year and the next trade off some capable vets to refill the cupboards. London is an exception and always seem to compete.
I could go for a team that in the next couple of years fights for a playoff spot and may go a round or two.
This year was no exception for fans as the big increase is only due to their playoff success. During a lot of the season each individual could practically have a complete row or two they could occupy.
Don't kid yourself management this is not the complete rebirth of the 67s fan base and a memorial cup birth would be beneficial for the years ahead. This could put some positive vibes towards fan commitment in the future.

Last edited:

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London

I am fully in agreement with you on this one. Building a consistent top team makes players want to report when drafted as well. Winning is addictive and once you demonstrate a commitment to it everyone wants to be a part of it. These “one and done” teams deserve credit, but long term you want repeatable results.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
We had many competitive teams under Kilrea's regiment but bums in the seats were pretty sparse.
The reason we had the crowds when Hunt came in was due to the fact of immediate success.
Teams with good management go all in 1 year and the next trade off some capable vets to refill the cupboards. London is an exception and always seem to compete.
I could go for a team that in the next couple of years fights for a playoff spot and may go a round or two.
This year was no exception for fans as the big increase is only due to their playoff success. During a lot of the season each individual could practically have a complete row or two they could occupy.
Don't kid yourself management this is not the complete rebirth of the 67s fan base and a memorial cup birth would be beneficial for the years ahead. This could put some positive vibes towards fan commitment in the future.
No its not the complete rebirth of the franchise but I do think its a huge step forward. I'm hoping that a lot of the fans that have showed up the last two months will remember (if old fans that have returned) or realize if new fans that junior hockey is a great product for the price. I'm sure a lot of them will return next year at least for a few games. Hopefully we're getting over the dark years at the CTC/lousy team combo that hurt attendance.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Very happy we've signed our top 5 picks, important depth for the future. Now if we can sign Ranvir Gill I'll be even happier.

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
I’m expecting a huge push back from the team tonite.
If we take it then we have two chance to win it all.
Go 67s we are proud of your amazing run

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016

Translation: "Michael Dipietro on the ice with the Black Aces this morning. With his skates, gloves and stick. Will certainly not play tonight, but he skated longer than yesterday."

Sounds like he maaaaay be a possibility if this goes 7.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
This team has been absolutely atrocious breaking out of their defensive zone since the second round. Against Sudbury and Oshawa they were good enough to simply outscore their mistakes, but that's not enough to beat a team like Guelph.

Sometimes you just need to chip the puck off the glass and down the ice if you don't have a play, and live to fight another day, but it's like they're allergic to that. It leads to turnover after turnover, and being hemmed in by Guelph for minutes and periods at a time.

It's been a problem for so long, and hasn't been corrected in the slightest, that at this point I can't believe it's anything other than a conscious coaching decision. Tourigny doesn't want the players to give up the puck, in any situation, and that leads to players hanging on to it for ages after they should have just flipped it out to the neutral zone. It's been killing them all series long, and might just be what does them in.

After such a fun season, it would be a shame for an ankle sprain and a stubborn unwillingness to use the glass to be this team's undoing.

Just had to get that off my chest after almost throwing my remote through the TV a bunch of times over the past few games.

Reactions: Robray12

sec20forever

Aug 11, 2015
we were beat to the puck most of the game. defence did not look good the first two periods. they need some soul searching before sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad