Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
How much of a factor was losing DiPietro? Just curious as to your thoughts. Seems like Guelph really took advantage of the fortunate situations it was handed (which a good team should do).
Series against London down 3-0 and a flu bug goes through the Knights Team.
Series against Saginaw, down 2-0 and the Spirits starting goalie is suspended for being an a$$hat (well deserved IMO).
Series against the 67s, down 2-0, your superstar starting goalie that had been playing so well goes down with injury.
Thats a lot of 'puck' luck for Guelph and they took full advantage.
Very good question to which we will never know the answer. Mikey was playing great and seemed to have found his groove. A few factors in play by losing him
1-experience and confidence to be on the big stage
2- was the team more confident with him in net?
3- Andree is a very good goalie but he came in cold having not played for a month against a stellar team
4-I do believe at this point that Mikey is the slightly better goalie

So it comes down to, do you think the above would have been enough to swing the series against a Guelph team that did outplay us in the last four games? I don't know but a goalie can beat a better team historically....we will never know!

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
DiPietro is the most overrated goalie in the league and Popovich is the most underrated in the league.
Dipietro was playing very well for us and provided leadership qualities. His goals against and save % have always been better than Popovich.

Popovich had the best defense in the league which prevented practically all rebounds and blocked many shots. Popovich gives up a lot of bad goals and it is only the offense that saves him by outscoring the opposition.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Well Suzuki was the best player available at the deadline. Durzi was the best PP qb available and Brazeau was the best OA. They didn't get these guys. ****, the 67s should've at least picked up Saigeion/Mattinen. But their GM didn't want to trade players. Guelph wasn't even a top team when they went all in. The top teams are stupid for not getting Suzuki/Durzi especially. These 2 guys run the Storm PP. Put them on Ottawa and I'm very confident Ottawa wins and Guelph doesn't get out of the 1st rd
All of these wishes are easy to say "should have got this guy, should have done that" but you'll never know what went on in the background. There are so many unknown optics: What's the GM's long and short term plan? What did the other teams want in return for certain players? Was another team offering more than Ottawa was willing to give? Did another team sweeten the pot on any player to get a deal done? Were players willing waive no trade clauses (going either direction)? Did they fit in with the framework of what the GM wanted? What feedback did current players give to the GM if/when asked about prospective players? Steve Staios has said that he interviewed Bulldogs players last season before making acquisitions because he didn't want to disrupt locker room chemistry. I also saw an interesting note somewhere that teams are limited to 7(?) full-ride cards? I'm not as familiar with this but it was interesting to recently read. And the list goes on... My point though is that it's easy to be an armchair GM and say what should have happened, but as fans (I'm a Bulldogs fan) we'll rarely know the process of what actually went on.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
All of these wishes are easy to say "should have got this guy, should have done that" but you'll never know what went on in the background. There are so many unknown optics: What's the GM's long and short term plan? What did the other teams want in return for certain players? Was another team offering more than Ottawa was willing to give? Did another team sweeten the pot on any player to get a deal done? Were players willing waive no trade clauses (going either direction)? Did they fit in with the framework of what the GM wanted? What feedback did current players give to the GM if/when asked about prospective players? Steve Staios has said that he interviewed Bulldogs players last season before making acquisitions because he didn't want to disrupt locker room chemistry. I also saw an interesting note somewhere that teams are limited to 7(?) full-ride cards? I'm not as familiar with this but it was interesting to recently read. And the list goes on... My point though is that it's easy to be an armchair GM and say what should have happened, but as fans (I'm a Bulldogs fan) we'll rarely know the process of what actually went on.
Ottawa's GM stated that he would not give up any roster players so for sure this limited our options. Don't waste assets if you are not willing to go all in. I am sure if G. Clarke or Tolnai had been made available we would of had a lot more interested parties. Deals could have been done.

Reactions: BrunoDaBear

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Ottawa fans have to be proud of what their team accomplished this season. It's tough to lose in the finals. Looking back though this team won a ton of games all year and had a long steak of exciting wins in the play offs. Fans will always have the memories of this season. The team should be tough to beat next season as the GM left lot's of assets in the cupboard. They did finish first overall and won the east. That in itself is a great accomplishment.

Last edited:

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
At the beginning of the season, if this board would have been told that we'd be Eastern conference champions the vast majority would have done back flips. There is a recency bias in sports, where sometimes the bigger picture is ignored.

Here are my takeaways from the year:
1) Best team success since 2005;
2) Star and role players saw their skills develop throughout the year;
3) Coach put younger players in tough spots, enabling their development for next year;
4) Saw the biggest crowds and buzz for the team since their move to the CTC, if not before then;
5) Absolutely nailed the draft.

Damn good year and good job by all Management and Coaches.

dmead

Code Spelunker
Jan 12, 2018
London
At the beginning of the season, if this board would have been told that we'd be Eastern conference champions the vast majority would have done back flips. There is a recency bias in sports, where sometimes the bigger picture is ignored.

Here are my takeaways from the year:
1) Best team success since 2005;
2) Star and role players saw their skills develop throughout the year;
3) Coach put younger players in tough spots, enabling their development for next year;
4) Saw the biggest crowds and buzz for the team since their move to the CTC, if not before then;
5) Absolutely nailed the draft.

Damn good year and good job by all Management and Coaches.

Ya see that? That's how you put a Silver Lining around something. None of this "we shoulda done this, we didn't do enough, wah, wah... crap".

Good on you BarberPole9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad