Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
How much of a factor was losing DiPietro? Just curious as to your thoughts. Seems like Guelph really took advantage of the fortunate situations it was handed (which a good team should do).
Series against London down 3-0 and a flu bug goes through the Knights Team.
Series against Saginaw, down 2-0 and the Spirits starting goalie is suspended for being an a$$hat (well deserved IMO).
Series against the 67s, down 2-0, your superstar starting goalie that had been playing so well goes down with injury.
Thats a lot of 'puck' luck for Guelph and they took full advantage.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Unpopular decision to some, but Guelph is the best team in the league in paper, and they've played like it all playoffs. Ottawa ran into them while they're on an absolute tear.

Now being a Peterborough fan, I dont exactly hate seeing Ottawa lose (LOL) but this was a team I enjoyed following along with all season. They've got a hell of a fanbase with you guys behind them and I hope my team can hopefully compete with you guys hear the top of the East next season!

Until then, cheers

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
It's Junior though.

This roster will be together for one more year? Maybe two for the younger ones?

Ottawa was the youngest team in the league this season (at least until the trades for Dipietro, Maksimovich and Chiodo) so yes, the future is brighter than most. This wasn't your typical championship contender loaded with 19 and 20 year olds.

Players from this season who could still be on the team two years from now:

Rossi, Clarke, Quinn, Bitten, Hoelscher, Yule, Andre, Belanger, Peric, Rippon, Okhotyuk, Tolnai, Maggio, Cranley and Crete.

Combine those players with the solid drafting of the past two years, and I think this team can compete for a championship in 2021. Probably too much firepower lost up front for next season though.

Reactions: Millpond

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
Ottawa was the youngest team in the league this season (at least until the trades for Dipietro, Maksimovich and Chiodo) so yes, the future is brighter than most. This wasn't your typical championship contender loaded with 19 and 20 year olds.

Players from this season who could still be on the team two years from now:

Rossi, Clarke, Quinn, Bitten, Hoelscher, Yule, Andre, Belanger, Peric, Rippon, Okhotyuk, Tolnai, Maggio, Cranley and Crete.

Combine those players with the solid drafting of the past two years, and I think this team can compete for a championship in 2021. Probably too much firepower lost up front for next season though.
That's the thing in junior hockey. You gotta go for it when youve got the team. You never know who for sure will come back and what kind of injuries could happen. I feel like Ottawa should've gone for Durzi/Suzuki and Brazeau. They were out muscled in the finals

Billyjack

Aug 25, 2018
Kitchener -Waterloo
How much of a factor was losing DiPietro? Just curious as to your thoughts. Seems like Guelph really took advantage of the fortunate situations it was handed (which a good team should do).
Series against Saginaw, down 2-0 and the Spirits starting goalie is suspended for being an a$$hat (well deserved IMO).
Series against the 67s, down 2-0, your superstar starting goalie that had been playing so well goes down with injury.
Disagree, Guelph would have won anyway. They are a far superior team. Congratulations to them from a Rangers fan

Reactions: Ratelleitlikeitis

DavelPatsyuk

Feb 26, 2018
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
That's the thing in junior hockey. You gotta go for it when youve got the team. You never know who for sure will come back and what kind of injuries could happen. I feel like Ottawa should've gone for Durzi/Suzuki and Brazeau. They were out muscled in the finals

It's all ifs and buts at this point but it doesn't make it hurt any less. It sucked when the Hounds went down last year, and it sucks for you guys this year. You can always look back and second guess the moves. Does the Soo wish they've had ponied up the extra 2nd to get Suzuki knowing how well he played? Probably.

You guys still have a strong young core, there's a lot to look forward too. It was a hell of a season.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

I don't disagree with your sentiment, but two if those three you mentioned were skill guys, not 'muscle'. The third was the best power forward in the league

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I said it all along not enough was done and had we got Suzuki/Durzi it would not have only improved Ottawa but subtracted from Guelph. I don't care if you come in second, these chances do not come along often so go for it when you have the opportunity. They were totally out muscled in the finals and it was rather embarrassing. Hold on to the players on your current roster as Boyd stated and you play second fiddle. You can not predict what will happen in the future and quit dreaming about what you think about the next few years.

Very big mistake to not go all in when you had a very good base to work with.

Congrats to the Storm, they have a very solid team with the 11 NHL draft picks they have on the current roster.

Reactions: LR8 and BrunoDaBear

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
I don't disagree with your sentiment, but two if those three you mentioned were skill guys, not 'muscle'. The third was the best power forward in the league
Well Suzuki was the best player available at the deadline. Durzi was the best PP qb available and Brazeau was the best OA. They didn't get these guys. Shit, the 67s should've at least picked up Saigeion/Mattinen. But their GM didn't want to trade players. Guelph wasn't even a top team when they went all in. The top teams are stupid for not getting Suzuki/Durzi especially. These 2 guys run the Storm PP. Put them on Ottawa and I'm very confident Ottawa wins and Guelph doesn't get out of the 1st rd

Reactions: LR8

Cynical Canadian

Nov 16, 2015
Andree won 34 games this year and in many ways is a better goalie than Dipietro. Ottawa has a gem in net for the next couple of years.

It was overpaying for Mikey that was their problem.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Well Suzuki was the best player available at the deadline. Durzi was the best PP qb available and Brazeau was the best OA. They didn't get these guys. ****, the 67s should've at least picked up Saigeion/Mattinen. But their GM didn't want to trade players. Guelph wasn't even a top team when they went all in. The top teams are stupid for not getting Suzuki/Durzi especially. These 2 guys run the Storm PP. Put them on Ottawa and I'm very confident Ottawa wins and Guelph doesn't get out of the 1st rd
I agree and would just like to mention nobody cares about who comes in second. East champions, oh well.

Reactions: dirty12

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Andree won 34 games this year and in many ways is a better goalie than Dipietro. Ottawa has a gem in net for the next couple of years.

It was overpaying for Mikey that was their problem.
Dipietro was really dialed in during the playoffs and he was playing well by making the big saves when required. He played all but about 1 period for the 14 playoff wins.
I think it was worth it to get him, what didn't make sense was not completing the puzzle.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The 67s management temporarily wears the goat horns. Their judgement had the team solid enough to win while trying to keep their skaters and their chances intact for the next couple years. I say temporary because this could also be a learning experience for a future run.

I will reserve my futures comments for the offseason thread.

dmead

Code Spelunker
Jan 12, 2018
London
Condolences to the 67s and their fans. Quite the special season, just couldn't close the deal ... hmmm... being a Knights fan I kinda lived that as well :)

You should have a good core to build around for a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad