Line Combos: Ottawa 2016-2017 thoughts | Part II

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
During the media availability, Boucher mentioned he thinks it takes 1 and a half months for a team to learn a new system from the point the team comes together, and said we were 1 week into that right now.

He also said he used to think you could try and fast track that but after 20 years in the business he's learned that you really can't. So that puts us with the system learned by the start of Dec, or about 20-23 games into the season.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
During the media availability, Boucher mentioned he thinks it takes 1 and a half months for a team to learn a new system from the point the team comes together, and said we were 1 week into that right now.

He also said he used to think you could try and fast track that but after 20 years in the business he's learned that you really can't. So that puts us with the system learned by the start of Dec, or about 20-23 games into the season.

Yup and that's the 3rd time I've heard him reference 1.5 months as the rough timeline to get his system in place and operating with efficiency. When it comes to 5 on 5 hockey, I'm more than willing to give the team a month and a half to become comfortable with their new system, but my expectations are a little higher for special teams. Fortunately I've liked what I've seen so far with the PP and PK and I would imagine both areas will improve as the season progresses. My belief is if the team can dramatically improves it's special team's success in the opening month and a half, we might be able to weather the storm as the team adjusts to it's 5 on 5 play. Throw in some solid goaltending and we might be in a good spot when the boys finally get rolling.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014

Until then. I hope we score more than allow in. It would be nice to be seeded when December comes.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
If/when Mac gets back:

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Macarthur-Brassard-Ryan
Dzingel-Pageau-Lazar
Smith-Kelly-Varone
Neil

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Interested to hear that Binghamton is using Lazar as a Centre. I think most of us have him pencilled in on Pageau's RW. Playing him as a Centre, to me, indicates the organization wants to keep him in Binghamton for an extended period to see what they actually have in him, and where he can actually fit.

Starting him with Robinson and McCormick was a bit of a surprise, but I guess he IS still recovering and does not have max energy yet.

As a Centre, he will likely not replace Turris, Brassard or Pageau, baring injury,and Kelly seems to be our 4th now. Paul also in the wings with Binghamton gives a deep list at the position.

So if Lazar is to stay in Binghamton and Dzingel plays above expectation in Ottawa, when the draft comes, are we able to protect both. Probably not.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
yeah hurry up mac. Put on a tinted visor like stoner and get back on the ice you *****!

:sarcasm:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Guys, talk to me about Dzingel.. What a name!

Who is he, what kind of upside does he have?

Maybe one of the best names in hockey right now. :laugh:

7th rounder (acquired with the conditional pick traded to us by Pittsburgh for Kovalev.) Quick skater. Versatile. Good vision. Smart with the puck. Very much played his way onto the team in preseason, but has absolutely looked like he belongs through four games. And prospect analysts like saying that he's improved at every level so far, which he looks to be continuing in the NHL. Could certainly stand to bulk up a little bit. Ceiling is probably low-end 2nd liner, high-end 3rd liner.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Interested to hear that Binghamton is using Lazar as a Centre. I think most of us have him pencilled in on Pageau's RW. Playing him as a Centre, to me, indicates the organization wants to keep him in Binghamton for an extended period to see what they actually have in him, and where he can actually fit.

Starting him with Robinson and McCormick was a bit of a surprise, but I guess he IS still recovering and does not have max energy yet.

As a Centre, he will likely not replace Turris, Brassard or Pageau, baring injury,and Kelly seems to be our 4th now. Paul also in the wings with Binghamton gives a deep list at the position.

So if Lazar is to stay in Binghamton and Dzingel plays above expectation in Ottawa, when the draft comes, are we able to protect both. Probably not.

When they sent him down I remember them saying they're playing him centre just because it's a conditioning stint and they want him skating as much as possible.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Maybe one of the best names in hockey right now. :laugh:

7th rounder (acquired with the conditional pick traded to us by Pittsburgh for Kovalev.) Quick skater. Versatile. Good vision. Smart with the puck. Very much played his way onto the team in preseason, but has absolutely looked like he belongs through four games. And prospect analysts like saying that he's improved at every level so far, which he looks to be continuing in the NHL. Could certainly stand to bulk up a little bit. Ceiling is probably low-end 2nd liner, high-end 3rd liner.

I have loved Dzingel ever since we have drafted him solely because his name is so similar to mine. :laugh:

But luckily he has improved at every level and has managed to be a solid contributor.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Boucher said he really liked the Kelly-Pageau-Pyatt line in the practice media today.

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Dzingel-Brassard-Ryan
Kelly-Pageau-Pyatt
Smith-Varone-Lazar

Eventually?

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
Boucher said he really liked the Kelly-Pageau-Pyatt line in the practice media today.

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Dzingel-Brassard-Ryan
Kelly-Pageau-Pyatt
Smith-Varone-Lazar

Eventually?

I still have hope for...

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Brassard - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Dzingel
Pyatt - Kelly - Lazar

With the surprising play of Dzingel and Pyatt, I'm excited to see this lineup with a (gulp) healthy MacArthur. Even Kelly has way more speed than I thought he would post injury.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I still have hope for...

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Brassard - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Dzingel
Pyatt - Kelly - Lazar

With the surprising play of Dzingel and Pyatt, I'm excited to see this lineup with a (gulp) healthy MacArthur. Even Kelly has way more speed than I thought he would post injury.

I like this so long as there is health for MacArthur. If he's back to his 2 seasons ago form; this line up is great. Those bottom 9!!!

Sens92

Jan 21, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I like this so long as there is health for MacArthur. If he's back to his 2 seasons ago form; this line up is great. Those bottom 9!!!

I can see Boucher slotting Mac on the 3rd line with Pageau and Dzingel, with Smith moving up to the 2nd line. I think that gives us 3 legitimate scoring threats.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I can see Boucher slotting Mac on the 3rd line with Pageau and Dzingel, with Smith moving up to the 2nd line. I think that gives us 3 legitimate scoring threats.

Idk. He had Mac on the 2nd line in training camp, and has already said he really likes Pageau with Smith saying he was disappointed that he'd have to break up that combo.

I could see MacArthur starting out on the 3rd line to ease him back in though.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think combining Pageau, Kelly and Pyatt opens the door for Lazar to play 4th line C when he is called up... of course things could change again by then.

I don't think we'll see Smith on the 4th line.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Playing Kelly-Pageau-Pyatt seems good. But were will Dzingle play?

If he play on the second line, than Smith on the fourth? But it would not make sense since, Smith is playing very will right now..

Dzingle play so well, you can't possibly think of putting him on the fourth, unless you think him and Varone are going to find way to contribute together.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think combining Pageau, Kelly and Pyatt opens the door for Lazar to play 4th line C when he is called up... of course things could change again by then.

I don't think we'll see Smith on the 4th line.

So, in that scenario, you would have a 4th line of:

Dzingel-Lazar-Neil?

Or would you be throwing somebody on their off wing instead of Neil?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad