Line Combos: Ottawa 2016-2017 thoughts | Part II

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
So, in that scenario, you would have a 4th line of:

Dzingel-Lazar-Neil?

Or would you be throwing somebody on their off wing instead of Neil?

I think i would rather let Kelly play the fourth line, but from time to time when you need extra defence, you switch line for Kelly with Pageau and Pyatt.

Dzingle-Pageau-Pyatt
Kelly-Lazar-Neil With Lazar and Kelly switching depending on faceoff side.

At some point, if Pyatt regress Than Switch Lazar and Pyatt. Kelly return to center. Of course, Lazar have to prove he can handle 3rd line minutes, and contribute.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So, in that scenario, you would have a 4th line of:

Dzingel-Lazar-Neil?

Or would you be throwing somebody on their off wing instead of Neil?

Well... :) I did not create the Pageau Kelly Pyatt line ... Guy did so...
Who do we have left?
Dzingel , Lazar, ? today that would be Neil. If I had my drothers I would put McCormick in there
But... that does not seem likely. I dunno ... Varone might be ok there if Neil is an issue. So far he hasn't been.

I would prefer to play Dzingel up the lineup. Right now I don't see him taking Smith's minutes. If Dzingel keeps impressing and If that happens I would see changing the Pageau line though so Smith would drop to play with Pageau and Pyatt.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Similar to the lines in practice today but to shake up the D and shore up the second pair:

Hoffman-Turris-Pyatt
Puempel-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Stone
Dzingel-Kelly-Neil

Phaneuf-Karlsson
Methot-Wideman
Boro-Ceci

No elite lines but i dont think any lines would get killed at 5v5 at least (besides our bottom pair but I just dont see Chabot playing anytime soon)

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Similar to the lines in practice today but to shake up the D and shore up the second pair:

Hoffman-Turris-Pyatt
Puempel-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Stone
Dzingel-Kelly-Neil

Phaneuf-Karlsson
Methot-Wideman
Boro-Ceci

No elite lines but i dont think any lines would get killed at 5v5 at least (besides our bottom pair but I just dont see Chabot playing anytime soon)

Would have liked Pyatt Brass and Turris switched along with Puempel and Dzingel. But oh well, at least there is a distribution in speed and machine-like effort.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I like the idea of three solid lines. It is something some posters in this thread guessed was a possibility back in the off season. I think if this sticks, we eventually end up with....

Hoffman-Turris-Lazar
Dzingel-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Stone
Pyatt-Kelly-Neil
(x)Puempel

Deleted member 55113

And of course, neither does coach or management, so we leave Chabot to stall development in a press box instead of developing in the minors. Is it that hard to just move him back to the minors?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
And of course, neither does coach or management, so we leave Chabot to stall development in a press box instead of developing in the minors. Is it that hard to just move him back to the minors?

He's not old enough to go to the minors if going to Bingo is what you mean. They are just keeping him around so he gets a good taste of what professional life is like in the NHL & it will make him hungry. I fully expect he will be returned to junior soon, maybe even after this Western road trip.

Deleted member 55113

He's not old enough to go to the minors if going to Bingo is what you mean. They are just keeping him around so he gets a good taste of what professional life is like in the NHL & it will make him hungry. I fully expect he will be returned to junior soon, maybe even after this Western road trip.

No, I meant move him to CHL - bad terminology on my part. I know he's not old enough for AHL. Making any player sit doesn't do any good. They need play time and experience. You don't need 10 NHL games for them to "be hungry". If they can't figure that out after 5 NHL games shadowing pros, either you drafted someone with a very low IQ or someone with no drive who prefers riding buses and making a lot less money!

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think we've found the perfect lines:

Smith-Pageau-Stone
Hoffman-Brassard-Dzingel
Pyatt-Turris-Ryan
Puempel-Kelly-Neil

MacArthur replaces Pyatt when he comes and Pyatt joins Kelly again and then Lazar eventually gets in for Neil or whoever. People talk about Brassard with Ryan cause he needs a playmaker but Hoffman-Brassard could be just as lethal.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast

Smith-Pageau-Stone
Hoffman-Brassard-Dzingel
Pyatt-Turris-Ryan
Puempel-Kelly-Neil

MacArthur replaces Pyatt when he comes and Pyatt joins Kelly again and then Lazar eventually gets in for Neil or whoever. People talk about Brassard with Ryan cause he needs a playmaker but Hoffman-Brassard could be just as lethal.

I think this line was very good today against Canucks. They didn't get any points (other than the empty net) but looked good.

Boucher seems happy shuffle everything except Brassard-Ryan. I think that combo is sticking for a while.

Pyatt-Kelly-Neil would make a perfect 4th line when everyone is fit and firing... or Pyatt-Kelly-Lazar

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario

Smith-Pageau-Stone
Hoffman-Brassard-Dzingel
Pyatt-Turris-Ryan
Puempel-Kelly-Neil

What do you think of switching Pyatt and Puempel? Too slow on the Turris line with Puemps and Ryan?

I really think we need to find a way to get Ryan going consistently.

I definitely agree with you about Brassard playign with speed and that may really help both Hoffman and Dzingel.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

He's living with Brassard, he's learning to defend against top NHL talent like Stone and Turris, he's getting mentoring from EK and Phaneuf and learning the system from Boucher.

Why not keep him here? He's learning way more playing with these guys then he will playing against 17 year olds who can't even get close to Chabot - he'll be back in jr.

I've never heard a fab say - 'that player needed 20 more games in the QMJHL'

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He's living with Brassard, he's learning to defend against top NHL talent like Stone and Turris, he's getting mentoring from EK and Phaneuf and learning the system from Boucher.

Why not keep him here? He's learning way more playing with these guys then he will playing against 17 year olds who can't even get close to Chabot - he'll be back in jr.

I think of this as an extended training camp for him, but at some point, the kid needs to play games. If he stops getting better (in practice ect) than we need to send him down to put what he's learned into practice in real game situations. Ideally, I'd like to have him in our lineup, but he's got to be ready for that and help the team win.

Sens92

Jan 21, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Agreed, I'm not sure why some people are acting like he's just sitting around, twiddling his thumbs. He gets a few weeks to practice with the big boys, see what it takes to be an NHL player, and some direct actionable feedback on the things he needs to work on to make the team next year.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Agreed, I'm not sure why some people are acting like he's just sitting around, twiddling his thumbs. He gets a few weeks to practice with the big boys, see what it takes to be an NHL player, and some direct actionable feedback on the things he needs to work on to make the team next year.

He's also getting an NHL level paycheque isn't he? Nice little bonus for him.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I like the idea of three solid lines. It is something some posters in this thread guessed was a possibility back in the off season. I think if this sticks, we eventually end up with....

Hoffman-Turris-Lazar
Dzingel-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Stone
Pyatt-Kelly-Neil
(x)Puempel

Yes, I agree. I wanted to keep the Smith-Pageau-Stone line together because of how well they played last year. I am glad they are back together. I like the top 3 lines and maybe even replacing Lazar with Puempel for awhile, leaving Lazar in Bingo to develop as I have some doubts about his offensive ability (but I have similar doubts about Puempel too).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Hoffman-Turris-Pyatt
Puempel-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Stone
Dzingel-Kelly-Neil

Phaneuf-Karlsson
Methot-Wideman
Boro-Ceci

Called it pretty close with the forwards. Just switch Dzingel and Peumpel.

Notice both these players sound like le but are spelled el I wonder if the emphasis is supposed to be on that last syllable.

Deleted member 55113

Not saying he's twiddling his thumb. Yes, there are some benefits to practising with NHL players and mentorship. But development also requires real game situations, which he isn't getting. In the juniors, he gains experience running the PP or PK, in all situations - leading/down a goal with game on line, etc etc. I guess if Erik Karlsson doesn't participate in practise, then Chabot could get that experience.

And this is Bob McKenzie's thoughts - timely given our discussion "But the Sens also know the longer he goes without seeing game action, it can be a liability to his development."

http://www.tsn.ca/entry-level-contract-decisions-looming-for-a-number-of-nhl-teams-1.596727

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Faceoffs

raoT78.jpg

3/4 of our Centers are under 50%. Small improvements here could make a difference.

% -wise Pageau has been our best Ozone f/o man and Brassard has been our best Dzone f/o man

http://puckbase.com/stats/faceoff-percentage?team=all&zone=def

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Faceoffs

raoT78.jpg

3/4 of our Centers are under 50%. Small improvements here could make a difference.

I suspect both Turris and Brassard will finish the year close to 50%, as they've tended to be in that range the last few years.

Smith and Pageau won't likely stay at ~57-58% mind you

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I suspect both Turris and Brassard will finish the year close to 50%, as they've tended to be in that range the last few years.

Smith and Pageau won't likely stay at ~57-58% mind you

Smith is awesome, so versatile.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Stone-Pageau-Ryan
Hoffman-Turris-Pyatt/Puempel
Smith-Brassard-Dzingel
Puempel/Pyatt-Kelly-Neil

Ad

Upcoming events