Line Combos: Ottawa 2016-2017 thoughts | Part II

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You can if you have a top draft pick like Drouin sitting around.

Alas, we do not.
Yep ,they would probably be one of a handful that could probably pull it off .The majority would likely be in the exact same boat we are

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
No but the 3rd line and 4th line depth could be closer. A guy like M9 is an example of a good depth winger.
Smith scored 25 goals ,albeit with some great talent.But still ,losing Macarther sux for sure .But its not as if we havent payed without him for long stretches either.The one very worrisome injury,is Stone .We lose him longterm and we really suffer:cry:

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I'm not thrilled seeing Hoffman on the point on the PP, especially with MacArthur's injury.

We have Karlsson taking most of the PP mins on one side; then Phaneuf, Ceci and Wideman scrounging for time?
Meanwhile, we have a complete 1st unit with 3 of Stone/Brassard/Turris/Ryan and possibly a pretty bad 2nd unit with only 1 of them. Even worse if Stone misses any real games.

Last year Michalek got 3 mins a game on the PP to help with his 25 point/82 game pace to accommodate this move. I think with more talent on defense and less up front, it should be re-evaluated.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Puempel is a bust we need to face the truth. If he wasn't a first rounder it's doubtful he would even be mentioned as much for mac's spot.

I'm pretty confident that Dorion and company will try and have that top 6 spot filled internally but I don't see it. Someone needs to step up huge or we need to trade for or sign someone. Who's left?

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Puempel is a bust we need to face the truth. If he wasn't a first rounder it's doubtful he would even be mentioned as much for mac's spot.

I'm pretty confident that Dorion and company will try and have that top 6 spot filled internally but I don't see it. Someone needs to step up huge or we need to trade for or sign someone. Who's left?

Pretty sure he'll get as many games as they can give him before the season starts. If he does not make the club he's trade bait.

I have Hoffman, Smith, Dzingel, Pyatt, Paul over him on the LW side as a minimum. Varone upped his stock in Halifax as well.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Right now the 2 most realistic options are Smith and Dzingel.

If Dzingel gets it and runs, great. Problem solved.

If Smith gets it, we need a 3rd line LW IMO. Unless Dzingel plays with Pageau-Lazar. But I wouldn't like that as a 3rd line. Very quick but not enough experience imo. Varone is another option if he continues playing well (for the 3rd line).

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Granted it was only a single game, with Dzingel looking so good on the right side of the Hoffman-Turris pair, do you guys think his increases the possibility of Ottawa going with three strong lines at ES?

Hoffman-Turris-Dzingel
xxx-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Stone

2LW is an issue with MacArthur out. It would be Puempel's for the taking, but he hasn't impressed thus far. The team could go after Tanguay/Rieder/Yakupov as left handed forwards via trade or PTO.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Granted it was only a single game, with Dzingel looking so good on the right side of the Hoffman-Turris pair, do you guys think his increases the possibility of Ottawa going with three strong lines at ES?

Hoffman-Turris-Dzingel
xxx-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Stone

2LW is an issue with MacArthur out. It would be Puempel's for the taking, but he hasn't impressed thus far. The team could go after Tanguay/Rieder/Yakupov as left handed forwards via trade or PTO.

From what we've seen in the 2 preseason games thus far, I think it's far more likely that Smith starts off with Brassard and Ryan...given the health of Mac. Pyatt and Pageau played a decent game together in Halifax, and Guy seems to love plugging both of those guys into the PK already.

Anyways based off of camp so far(assuming Stone is good to go, and Lazar and Mac aren't ready) I see it shaking out like this on October 12th(barring more injuries/trades/signings etc.):

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Smith-Brassard-Ryan
Pyatt-Pageau-Dzingel
Puempel-Kelly-Neil
Varone

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Borowiecki-Wideman
Bartkowski

We likely won't have to make the waiver decision on Puempel until both Lazar, and Stone are both back and healthy.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Hoffman-Turris-Dzingel
xxx-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Stone

Too early to make that kind of change IMO.

Dzingle was playing in Stone's spot .. I don't think that line is immediately changed

The third line was not there .. XXXXX - Pageau - Lazar

If it was up to me I would try Dzingle on LW with Brassard and Ryan and chose between moving Smith up there or slotting Dzingle in.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I really like the lines someone posted in the other thread:

Hoffman-Brassard-Ryan
Dzingel-Turris-Stone

Dzingel can play either W so it's no big deal. He also is very smart with the puck and sometimes makes plays his teammates can't read. He won't have that trouble with Turris and Stone though. Could be a great line.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007

He still has the best AHL numbers of the candidates, that puts him into the conversation legitimately. However you're right that he still hasn't shown enough to get that NHL spot.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'm really disappointed with Puempel so far, but I still don't think he's been given a legitimate shot to show his stuff yet..

Like why was Gagne on the top line with Turris and Hoffman? Surely it would have made more sense to try inserting Puempel in the top 6 somewhere.

Anyways, hopefully he gets a chance and shows what he can do, but even I'm starting to doubt that now. Dzingel definitely looks like a better option at this point in time. He's no slouch offensively, and fast as hell, which will give him the inside track with a coach who's preaching speed.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He still has the best AHL numbers of the candidates, that puts him into the conversation legitimately. However you're right that he still hasn't shown enough to get that NHL spot.

yup, better than dzingel at a younger age, so........
maybe not give up on him yet? not sure myself.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Dzingel-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Varone/Lazar
Pyatt-Kelly-Neil

Methot-Karlsson
a.Phaneuf-Wideman
b.Chabot/Claesson-Ceci

Pyatt and Kelly are nothing more than PKers.

Dzingel in the top 6 to add some badly needed speed instead of being wasted on the 4th line.

Smith-Pageau is a good combo but needs an offensive RW. It'd be nice for Varone or Lazar to be that but I doubt it.

I can't wait for Neil to get game 1000 and Pyatt to be in the AHL. Can have a real 4th line that can handle more than 6 mins.

Phaneuf-Ceci doesn't have the skating ability or smarts to play 22mins a game. Split them up and give them 18-20. Each are paired a better skating dman, minus Claesson.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Agree should change lines up soon. I really like varone so far.

Hoff-Turris-Stone
Varone-Brass-Ryan
Smith-JGP-Dzingel
Pyatt-Kelly-Neil

Could swap varone dzingel, but I think this would work better.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Agree should change lines up soon. I really like varone so far.

Hoff-Turris-Stone
Varone-Brass-Ryan
Smith-JGP-Dzingel
Pyatt-Kelly-Neil

Could swap varone dzingel, but I think this would work better.
Could be worth a look ,not that Smith was terrible .I just think we need more speed and puck management skills on that line .Man Macarther returning and playing like Macarther from a year and half ago would be something

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Dzingel-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Lazar
Pyatt-Kelly-Varone

Neil subs in every now and then until he hits 1000.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Smith played great last night in a top 6 role with Brassard & Ryan, he was on the ice for all of Ottawa's goals including an assist himself, he won faceoffs, he hits & was winning board battles. Obviously very few on here like Smith but he had 25 goals last yr & deserves to start the season in the top 6 with Mac out, the top 6 needs a player or two that brings some physicality & is hard to play against. Still think we are too small at centre.

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Smith - Brassard - Ryan
Puempel - Pageau - Lazar
Pyatt - Kelly - Neil

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Are we taking bets on if Chabot makes his first appearance next game? I would think so seeing as Boro and Wideman were awful.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Smith played great last night in a top 6 role with Brassard & Ryan, he was on the ice for all of Ottawa's goals including an assist himself, he won faceoffs, he hits & was winning board battles. Obviously very few on here like Smith but he had 25 goals last yr & deserves to start the season in the top 6 with Mac out, the top 6 needs a player or two that brings some physicality & is hard to play against. Still think we are too small at centre.

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Smith - Brassard - Ryan
Puempel - Pageau - Lazar
Pyatt - Kelly - Neil

Nope. He didn't step foot on the ice during OT, and wasn't on the ice for Karlsson's goal.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I thought that Smith looked good last night myself. I also agree with the narrative that he brings a missing element to the top 6, so I have no problems with him subbing in there for the interim.

The Pageau line looked good for the most part imo. Maybe sub in Dzingel for Pyatt, who I do agree is much better suited to being a 4th liner, but really didn't look too out of place on the 3rd either.

I felt like it was the bottom 4 dmen that really brought us down last night. We need all of them to be much better. Hoffman too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad