Jul 9, 2013
Hoffman Turris Stone
Dzingel Brassard Ryan
Smith Pageau Varone
Pyatt Kelly Neil; Lazar

Methot, Karlsson
Phaneuf, Ceci
?,?

Any combination on the bottom pair looks weak at the moment. Chabot is a very good prospect but it's throwing him to the wolves no matter who he would be paired with.
If Wideman doesn't pick it up, it might be worth considering playing Ceci with Boro and Chabot with Phaneuf

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Hoffman Turris Stone
Dzingel Brassard Ryan
Smith Pageau Varone
Pyatt Kelly Neil; Lazar

Methot, Karlsson
Phaneuf, Ceci
?,?

Any combination on the bottom pair looks weak at the moment. Chabot is a very good prospect but it's throwing him to the wolves no matter who he would be paired with.
If Wideman doesn't pick it up, it might be worth considering playing Ceci with Boro and Chabot with Phaneuf

How would you distribute the minutes? Yesterday Ceci was 2nd in TOI 3 or 4 min less than Karlsson.

Would you give more TOI to Chabot-Phaneuf or Boro-Ceci?
Boro can't handle 18-20. Chabot is not there yet also. But at around 7M you want Phaneuf to play 20 + min or it is a waste.

It's not a bad idea, but i'm curious how the TOI could be settle.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
How would you distribute the minutes? Yesterday Ceci was 2nd in TOI 3 or 4 min less than Karlsson.

Would you give more TOI to Chabot-Phaneuf or Boro-Ceci?
Boro can't handle 18-20. Chabot is not there yet also. But at around 7M you want Phaneuf to play 20 + min or it is a waste.

It's not a bad idea, but i'm curious how the TOI could be settle.

Good question. Not sure I have the answer to it. Solving the weak bottom pair problem maybe best solved by just limiting the ice time of that pair. It's just food for thought at the moment. I would not make any of those changes immediately.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If they don't improve, I wouldn't be opposed to splitting up Phaneuf and Ceci. Hasn't Phaneuf played the majority of his career on the right side anyways?

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
If they don't improve, I wouldn't be opposed to splitting up Phaneuf and Ceci. Hasn't Phaneuf played the majority of his career on the right side anyways?

Methot-Karlsson
Chabot-Phaneuf/Ceci
Claesson-Ceci/Phaneuf
Extra : Boro or Wideman

That actually look better than with Boro on the left and Wideman doesn't play de left side neither.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Methot-Karlsson
Chabot-Phaneuf/Ceci
Claesson-Ceci/Phaneuf
Extra : Boro or Wideman

That actually look better than with Boro on the left and Wideman doesn't play de left side neither.

I agree ... they sent Claesson down though. I think it remains that way for 9 games.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I agree ... they sent Claesson down though. I think it remains that way for 9 games.

We will have a better idea after 9 games if Phaneuf and Ceci progress from last game. Ceci wasn't that bad i thought.

Chabot will probably have played near 9 games, Wideman and Boro could progress also.

10 games is short, but it is also a lot of game.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site

Weren't we pleased with the 20 game stretch after Phaneuf was acquired and it finally looked like we had a competent second pairing.

Micklebot even posted numbers from last year that were something like;
Healthy Turris = 2.60 GA
Hurt Turris, no P9 = 3.45 GA
Phaneuf = 2.60 GA (basically without Turris)

It was 1 game.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Weren't we pleased with the 20 game stretch after Phaneuf was acquired and it finally looked like we had a competent second pairing.

Healthy Turris = 2.60 GA

It was 1 game.

Yep 1 game. But the discussion is still interesting. If Chabot look like he's ready and Ceci on his own look like he can carry a pairing.

Would you be oppose to separate P9 and Ceci? Phaneuf played the right side before.
It could be a good way to give a veteran precense to Chabot and Claesson could play with Ceci. Or the other way around. Ceci and Chabot didn't look bad together during preseason.

Simple discussion.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Healthy Turris = 2.60 GA

It was 1 game.

I'm not suggesting we do it at this moment, but 10+ games down the line if things don't change.

The pairing looked pretty bad in preseason as well, although it doesn't mean all that much.

TankForDaigle

Oct 12, 2016
For defense, we should try

Chabot-Phaneuf

Ceci-Boro

Ceci and Phanuef are too slow of a pair to keep up with just about any good skater

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I have faith that it'll change and the pairing will be solid, like they were at the end of last season.

The discussion is almost more about insulating the 3rd pairing players .. Not so much about not liking the Phaneuf - Ceci pairing. I for one, like that pairing but, I think we are exploring ideas on how to improve the D overall with the personnel that we have. Phaneuf and Ceci could each help shelter one of the 3rd pairing guys.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If ever Phaneuf-Ceci doesn't work out, imo there's only one option to have three actual NHL pairs.

Methot-Karlsson
Chabot-Ceci
Phaneuf-Wideman

The two bottom pairs would be about even in minutes, with the Chabot-Ceci getting a tad more.

I agree with Trent though, I think it will take time and that we'll all be satisfied with Chabot-Ceci eventually.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If ever Phaneuf-Ceci doesn't work out, imo there's only one option to have three actual NHL pairs.

Methot-Karlsson
Chabot-Ceci
Phaneuf-Wideman

The two bottom pairs would be about even in minutes, with the Chabot-Ceci getting a tad more.

I agree with Trent though, I think it will take time and that we'll all be satisfied with Chabot-Ceci eventually.

No doubt Chabot-Ceci or Chabot-Karlsson Methot-Ceci will be our top 4 in 2 years... but one has to hope Phaneuf can at least hold down that 2nd pairing until then. We need to have an excellent 2nd pairing to do well this year and on paper it does seem like it's much higher than average.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
My god. Its a single game. Its the first game of the year. Give me a break. So much moaning and whining about lines already?! Completely unjustified complaining at this point in the season.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

Methot-Karlsson
Chabot-Ceci
Phaneuf-Wideman

I like this! Chabot, please be a quick learner!

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
My god. Its a single game. Its the first game of the year. Give me a break. So much moaning and whining about lines already?! Completely unjustified complaining at this point in the season.

Im seeing discussion about ways to improve combinations. Though to be fair, I do see one single post thats moaning and whining.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

If you think this is Drama check out the GDT and the PGT... this is sleepy calm in comparison

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If you think this is Drama check out the GDT and the PGT... this is sleepy calm in comparison

Exactly. Nothing wrong with discussing... but of course people have to slow down on the hyperbole and panic. How can you draw conclusions from one single game? lmao

I'd bet that the Leafs came out flying because they are so young and eager to prove themselves. The Sens on the other hand are just trying to find their groove and adjust to a new system. They still won the game playing at 50% of their capacities.

The GDTs/PGTs though... awesome :laugh:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think it's inevitable Dzingel plays on top 6.

Event though he played only 7 mins vs Leafs he was noticeable in actually countering the speedy Leaf forwards. I loved it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->