Post-Game Talk: OTT/VAN ROUND 2.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Huh...interestingly I had no problems with Hainsey but thought Zaitsev handled the puck like a grenade when he wasn't skating it out and up. I missed the first period though.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I managed to watch the last two periods. I did fall asleep occasionally though... Here's some hot takes:

- looks like puck possession is going to be a big problem this year, even worse than the past few years. I expect us to get outshot most nights by a wide margin.

- but that doesn't mean we can't outscore the other team. Tonight was a prime example. We're going to get a lot of garbage goals thanks to Tkachuk.

- I liked Zaitsev. More decisive than Ceci. (well that's not difficult)

- I really disliked Hainsey. Very cringe-worthy. When was the last time we signed a FA who contributed something noticeable? Gonchar?

- Chaboss!

- other guys who looked decent: Chlapik, Ennis, Anisimov.

- controversial opinion: I'm done with Pageau. He got a mulligan coming back from injury, but even the year before he wasn't all that. The youthful enthusiasm and jump of his early seasons has faded, and now not much is left. On my depth chart he'd be our 4th C.

- did @Another Mr Lizard make it to the game?

Generally I agree with most of this. Puck possession and O-zone time will be much less resulting in fewer goals for and likely more goals against. I doubt that Tkachuk’s willingness to go to the front of the net will be enough to counter the loss of Stone, Duchene, Dzingle.

Hainsey made a horrible cross ice pass that resulted in a goal against. At times he looks effective defensively but at 38 his time is virtually over.

I saw more speed in Boedker’s game so that might be a plus if it continues.

Pageau is not more than a 3rd Line Center now and seems to be regressing. Too small too.

Good win. One more Pre-season game Saturday to go.

Bring on the HABS

It was a WIN, but not a good one as the same issues are with the team; getting outplayed and out-shot. The team lacks top end talent. The law of averages will not result in competing for a playoff position.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Am I wrong to suggest that Chabot should not be playing tonight, or even for the rest of the pre-season at that? Risking injury to arguably our best player is completely unnecessary especially since these games are meaningless in the win/loss category.

With regards to L. Brown, there should not be any excuses when it comes to his linemates as it has been proven that be recognized as a great to elite player in the NHL, you should have the capability of being productive (not necessarily points-wise, but overall game) no matter who you are lined up with. That is not to suggest L. Brown is an elite player but what he does with the puck when it is on his stick is his own prerogative and he will be judged based on that. He is a play maker first and foremost so he will be watched closely based on how he distributes the puck and the split second decision he makes when receiving the puck down low. Had he been a sniper-type, you could argue that he would need better players to set him up but this is not the case with L. Brown.

A puck handler and play-maker needs to be able to pass the puck to others who have good shooting skills who can get into position to score. Spezza had Heatley and Alfredsson. L Brown needs players that can benefit from his play-making and passing.

I want to see how he performs when playing with such players, not offensively challenged players.

Reactions: aragorn

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I also saw way too many instances of the lazy lob ball clearing of the zone. As in the defence simply lob up an easy wrister so that the puck is cleared but lands along the other blue line. It's easily retrieved and becomes an immediate zone entry for the other side. Ottawa did this a lot for changes as well. It's lazy hockey and kills half of the work that needs to be done on the ice. Basically, you're just ceding control of the puck for huge portions of the game for a few moments of safety. And it's boring to watch.

Reactions: Boud and DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's for sure a concern that the lack of talent will be a problem for progression but for me what helps alleviate that concern is the opportunity that's available. You also have to think of other players as well, I dont think you can look at each player individually. You can send Batherson down but how does that impact roles of other players in the AHL. You can leave everyone down there together but what happens the next season when they deserve that shot. You can't have too many inexperienced players come in at once. Right now there are guys on the roster that you use to shelter Batherson. You can give him easier minutes while he adjusts and slowly introduce a less sheltered role if his play allows that. Then next season you introduce a couple of other inexperienced players but now you have Batherson, Balcers and maybe another player who you can lean on a little more and shelter the incoming players.

For that reason I see three of Batherson, Balcers, Chalpik, Brown, Abramov on the opening night roster.
good thoughts

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I managed to watch the last two periods. I did fall asleep occasionally though... Here's some hot takes:

- looks like puck possession is going to be a big problem this year, even worse than the past few years. I expect us to get outshot most nights by a wide margin

<....>

I've only seen bits and pieces of two or three pre-season games, but in what I have watched the Sens only have the puck about 30% of the time. So often just dumping it out / chipping it off the boards. Going to be very difficult for me to watch that for the whole year.

Reactions: Cosmix

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Chlapik was excellent. The fact they tried him on the wing and how he performed in turn bodes well for him. If Balcers is gonna be out for any length of time, I like his chances.

Brown as well. Great passing, and defensive effort was there too. Again, him playing on the wing and not looking out of place bodes well for him.

Sabourin I had thought to be more of a goon. He’s actually not bad. He can skate and shoot. I wouldn’t mind keeping him around as the 13th forward.

Boedker was good. Displayed his speed a number of times and took the puck hard to the net. He’s not great, but he’s one of the better players at transporting the puck and entering the zone. Once it gets there that’s another matter. Could be useful.

Ennis and Anisimov showed well. They were great acquisitions. Good decisions with the puck for the most part and work hard. They’re also not devoid of talent by any means, quite the opposite. No issues playing them with the kids.

Zaitsev reminded me why I was so happy about the Ceci trade. Not a perfect player, but as long as he’s making quick plays he’s very valuable. When he starts to hold onto the puck too long bad things happen. He’s got the skating to close on guys quickly and plays them hard physically. Much better at separating puck from player in general.

Reactions: derriko

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Looks more like an upper body injury or concussion based on this.

Balcers falls in front of the net .. He's not the guy crashing into the boards behind the net. When Balcers skates over to the wall out of the zone after falling, he hits the boards awkwardly.. it could be a knee . Has anyone heard what is up?

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
scary how quick brown disappears when rosters get more NHL-y and thE GAME GETS FASTER..

needs loads of work.

Logan Brown?

I’ve thought he’s shown the most vision among all forwards... he can move the puck exceptionally

Reactions: aragorn

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Perhaps the sens plan is to bring him along like they did with white last year

Take it step by step see what happens in the reg season

I thought balcers and abramov both looked good before their injuries. Hope they get a chance

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah maybe. But the young players may tune him out after watching him play night after night of terrible hockey.

I think kids will still appreciate that he is still in the NHL at 38. He isn't very good anymore but he's been around the block enough times that they should know "do as I say, not as I do".

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Perhaps the sens plan is to bring him along like they did with white last year

Take it step by step see what happens in the reg season

I thought balcers and abramov both looked good before their injuries. Hope they get a chance
Both Balcers and Abramov are injured? To what extent

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Jaros is far from in trouble, he is a key kog in this teams future. I guarantee he makes the team. If thats Branntsroms best game he needs to go down. Really struggled in his own end. Paul didnt play last night and Brown had a good game. Dont agree with this post whatsoever.
...except Jaros is struggling everywhere. He will be the odd man out

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
It was a WIN, but not a good one as the same issues are with the team; getting outplayed and out-shot. The team lacks top end talent. The law of averages will not result in competing for a playoff position.

For sure. The SENS will be a pesky team and will surprise some teams this year, but will lack Playoff experience. Part of the rebuild#98

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
...except Jaros is struggling everywhere. He will be the odd man out
I get the feeling that the way Jaros plays, he could be the new Ceci. If he makes the roster out of camp, it will likely be as a 7th D, I see all the vets & the guys they brought in ahead of him including sadly Hainsey who was in TO last yr & Smith knows him. I also think they need to show off a number of guys this yr to increase their value for a better return at the trade deadline. I suspect this is going to be another very frustrating yr for the fan base as the GM tries to move out older players to make roster room for younger players later on in the yr.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I get the feeling that the way Jaros plays, he could be the new Ceci. If he makes the roster out of camp, it will likely be as a 7th D, I see all the vets & the guys they brought in ahead of him including sadly Hainsey who was in TO last yr & Smith knows him. I also think they need to show off a number of guys this yr to increase their value for a better return at the trade deadline. I suspect this is going to be another very frustrating yr for the fan base as the GM tries to move out older players to make roster room for younger players later on in the yr.

Hopefully they don't keep Jaros around just to be the 7th D. If that's where he slots then you send him down to get more minutes.

The kid still has a lot of potential. He's mobile for a bigger guy, can handle the puck, actually has a rocket of a shot and plays a little bit of a mean game in his own end.

Let him develop a toolbox for all his tools while playing in the AHL. Goloubef, Ebert, Hainsey and Boro are all better options for the pressbox. Guys like Jaros and Brannstrom need to play while getting the odd game off to learn from the pressbox, not the other way around. Hopefully the team sees it this way too.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hopefully they don't keep Jaros around just to be the 7th D. If that's where he slots then you send him down to get more minutes.

The kid still has a lot of potential. He's mobile for a bigger guy, can handle the puck, actually has a rocket of a shot and plays a little bit of a mean game in his own end.

Let him develop a toolbox for all his tools while playing in the AHL. Goloubef, Ebert, Hainsey and Boro are all better options for the pressbox. Guys like Jaros and Brannstrom need to play while getting the odd game off to learn from the pressbox, not the other way around. Hopefully the team sees it this way too.
On this we agree ... that wasn't that hard ... maybe we can agree on something else like chocolate ice cream, I love it but my kid hates it ... I don't get it? :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad