Post-Game Talk: OTT/VAN ROUND 2.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Did anyone else laugh out loud when Tkachuk took a stick to the face from Logan after that goal? Then he wobbles off the ice with his Jersey half tucked in his pants like a drunk...how did he have 4 points tonight I do not know, but I am glad he did.

What are you talking about? He's literally all over the ice and is undeniable. The points will come to HIM.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I managed to watch the last two periods. I did fall asleep occasionally though... Here's some hot takes:

- looks like puck possession is going to be a big problem this year, even worse than the past few years. I expect us to get outshot most nights by a wide margin.

- but that doesn't mean we can't outscore the other team. Tonight was a prime example. We're going to get a lot of garbage goals thanks to Tkachuk.

- I liked Zaitsev. More decisive than Ceci. (well that's not difficult)

- I really disliked Hainsey. Very cringe-worthy. When was the last time we signed a FA who contributed something noticeable? Gonchar?

- Chaboss!

- other guys who looked decent: Chlapik, Ennis, Anisimov.

- controversial opinion: I'm done with Pageau. He got a mulligan coming back from injury, but even the year before he wasn't all that. The youthful enthusiasm and jump of his early seasons has faded, and now not much is left. On my depth chart he'd be our 4th C.

- did @Another Mr Lizard make it to the game?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
His skating is so smooth. It allows him to find open passing lanes and ice. I'm not ready to comment on his decision making but he is much better suited as a puck mover than Ceci was. Ceci's problem was that he was clumsy, by the time he was able to turn his body to an open passing lane it was closed off or a player was on top of him.

Strange enough, Toronto fans love Ceci more, than Zaitsev, and Ottawa fans love Zaitsev more, than Ceci. Or is it not strange at all?

Reactions: aragorn

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Brannstrom has improved as camp has progressed. He's still not blowing the doors down or anything, but tonight was probably his best game. I'm thinking he starts in Ottawa, but I'm not sure how long it lasts. It's up to him I guess.

On a somewhat related note - Jaros is in trouble. He's had a poor camp, and Cody Goloubef has had a pretty good one. Does it make sense to keep Jaros as the 7th defenseman? Doubtful. I feel like he's going to Belleville. This decision may go down to the wire.

Batherson is starting in the NHL without a doubt, and likely sticking for the entire season.

Logan Brown will not be starting in Ottawa. Nor will Nick Paul.

If Balcers is out for a while it opens up a chance for one Chlapik or Kelly to get some games at the start of the season.

Sabu is probably on the team.

So opening night looks like...

Tkachuk-White-Brown
Duclair-Anisimov-Ryan
Ennis-Tierney-Batherson
Balcers-Pageau-Boedker
Sabu

Chabot-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Brannstrom
Boro-DeMelo
Goloubef

Anderson
Nilsson

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Glad to see goloubef getting some love. He played well in Belleville last year. Him and Archibald were the two guys down there that i thought were dark horses to take the next step.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Realy impress by this win, the two goal was mistake. We allow a lot of shot on goal but we take the rebound and we don t allow many shot in the circle. I love to watch Zaitsev so far, he look very good and Chabot seem better defensevely with him. Boedker first game and he work hard. The only bad player yesterday was Hainsey but he play just the fist game last week, he gonna bounce back. It s gonna be a good season, we play more tough than last year and it s pre saison game.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I tend to agree, but out of those three I feel like Brown was the better player in training camp. He should get another shot on Saturday.

I agree,i liked Brown's game even with limited minutes. He has an impact on the PP. He finds way to slow the game down when they are in chaos so that they can settle the PP formation.

Also, i found it weird a little. Have you guys notice that Smith decide to takes the first PP faceoff on the left side and put Tkachuk at Center even with 2 center in Brown and White on the ice.

With Whites faceoff capability, it's a little bit weird they don't start on the right with him playing the center position. Unless, they took the left faceoff because maybe Vancouver didn't have a strong faceoff taker on their right side and they seems to put White on the right board.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Pretty strange ...
You'd think they'd want to get guys like Logan Brown and Chlapik out there as much as they could to have at least a last look at them.
Logan Brown 10:38
Chlapik 9:35
Sabourin 10:51

for Comparison
Connor Brown 20:16
Tyler Ennis 20:00

Led the forwards

Brannstrom 15:41

Zaitsev 27:36
Hainsey 23:22

Led the Defense

Interesting.
The more things change , the more they stay the same.
I mean the coach wants to see what new players have to show him. Oh wait....

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
LBrown didn't do anything tonight or for most of the preseason. I thought Batherson had a good start and probably why he got 17 mins of icetime

I would say Brown has had a really fair chance at cracking the lineup to this point
Seems you are in the minority on this opinion. I also thought he was moving his feet and getting involved. He looked good.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Brannstrom has improved as camp has progressed. He's still not blowing the doors down or anything, but tonight was probably his best game. I'm thinking he starts in Ottawa, but I'm not sure how long it lasts. It's up to him I guess.

On a somewhat related note - Jaros is in trouble. He's had a poor camp, and Cody Goloubef has had a pretty good one. Does it make sense to keep Jaros as the 7th defenseman? Doubtful. I feel like he's going to Belleville. This decision may go down to the wire.

Batherson is starting in the NHL without a doubt, and likely sticking for the entire season.

Logan Brown will not be starting in Ottawa. Nor will Nick Paul.

If Balcers is out for a while it opens up a chance for one Chlapik or Kelly to get some games at the start of the season.

Sabu is probably on the team.

So opening night looks like...

Tkachuk-White-Brown
Duclair-Anisimov-Ryan
Ennis-Tierney-Batherson
Balcers-Pageau-Boedker
Sabu

Chabot-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Brannstrom
Boro-DeMelo
Goloubef

Anderson
Nilsson
Jaros is far from in trouble, he is a key kog in this teams future. I guarantee he makes the team. If thats Branntsroms best game he needs to go down. Really struggled in his own end. Paul didnt play last night and Brown had a good game. Dont agree with this post whatsoever.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I really liked most of Brannstrom's game last night. He had issues when pressed on once Vancouver was down by two but outside of those situations, it was easy to see how high is ceiling is: he has improved a good deal throughout the pre season.

I'm getting excited about him.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Loving that Anisimov for Smith trade. Trade someone useless, get someone back that actually has some talent? Yes please.

Reactions: Crosside

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I've been pretty critical of many of the team's moves, but I was pretty happy with Zaitsev last night. He seems to be more confident and less gaffe prone than Ceci. I was fairly impressed by Anisimov and Ennis. Brown had a decent game, but he plays on the perimeter, in my opinion. Can't expect Andy to make 42 saves per game. Fun to watch them put 6 in the net!

Reactions: derriko and DrEasy

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Enh, Hainsey may have been a mistake. As others have mentioned already, he's Oduya 2.0. No thank you.

If we were actually trying to win games this season, I'd probably be more worried than I am about Hainsey.

As it stands, we actively want a high draft pick this year, and need a veteran voice in the room to help calm the kids down during a season in which they're going to lose a bunch of games.

Hainsey helps us towards both of those goals, lol.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Enh, Hainsey may have been a mistake. As others have mentioned already, he's Oduya 2.0. No thank you.

We weren't tanking when we had Oduya. We are now so Oduya 2.0 is good to have.

Let us hope he can instill some confidence and professionalism into the kids, that is his main purpose here.

Reactions: derriko

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

5320036.jpg

Reactions: DrEasy

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Really like how our contract situation is looking now when projecting the point in time we’re ready to hit the playoffs.

Ryan, Borowiecki, Anisimov, Ennis, Hainsey , Anderson, Zaitsev are the oldest players on the team and none of them are part of the team’s long-term plans. The longest contract there is Z and he’s the best player in that group and can easily be moved with 1 year left on his K, imo (once JBD and/or Lassi are ready on RD).

Hainsey and Boro will be excellent tank commanders this season.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I've been pretty critical of many of the team's moves, but I was pretty happy with Zaitsev last night. He seems to be more confident and less gaffe prone than Ceci. I was fairly impressed by Anisimov and Ennis. Brown had a decent game, but he plays on the perimeter, in my opinion. Can't expect Andy to make 42 saves per game. Fun to watch them put 6 in the net!
Agree
Ceci was a nightmare to watch
Z is not perfect but a big upgrade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad