Post-Game Talk: OTT/VAN ROUND 2.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Pretty strange ...
You'd think they'd want to get guys like Logan Brown and Chlapik out there as much as they could to have at least a last look at them.
Logan Brown 10:38
Chlapik 9:35
Sabourin 10:51

for Comparison
Connor Brown 20:16
Tyler Ennis 20:00

Led the forwards

Brannstrom 15:41

Zaitsev 27:36
Hainsey 23:22

Led the Defense

Interesting.
The more things change , the more they stay the same.
pre-season isn't to develop players. Its the get players for the regular season. This late into preseason vets are getting their reps in. Most of the young guys will be sent down

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
pre-season isn't to develop players. Its the get players for the regular season. This late into preseason vets are getting their reps in. Most of the young guys will be sent down
I don't think I mentioned develop. I mentioned try out or .. have a look at .. I think its about that as well as getting the vets ready.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It’s not about developing it’s about evaluating.
This deep into preseason it seems like the vets are gearing up. Im sure guys like LBrown will get an extended look to start the season but if he plays like this i suspect he is going back down

Batherson played 17 mins

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I don't think I mentioned develop. I mentioned try out or .. have a look at .. I think its about that as well as getting the vets ready.
LBrown didn't do anything tonight or for most of the preseason. I thought Batherson had a good start and probably why he got 17 mins of icetime

I would say Brown has had a really fair chance at cracking the lineup to this point

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This deep into preseason it seems like the vets are gearing up. Im sure guys like LBrown will get an extended look to start the season but if he plays like this i suspect he is going back down
He may be going back down.. Chlapik as well... I think its better to send them down knowing you gave them every opportunity to win a spot.. otherwise it just seems like lip service. The W is nice but I don't think its about that as much as the other things we discussed. Anyway If I am wanting to evaluate players I want to watch them play in as many situations as possible. Maybe his mind was already made up.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
LBrown didn't do anything tonight or for most of the preseason. I thought Batherson had a good start and probably why he got 17 mins of icetime

I would say Brown has had a really fair chance at cracking the lineup to this point
Thats an opinion I think he could have had more opportunities.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Pretty strange ...
You'd think they'd want to get guys like Logan Brown and Chlapik out there as much as they could to have at least a last look at them.
Logan Brown 10:38
Chlapik 9:35
Sabourin 10:51

for Comparison
Connor Brown 20:16
Tyler Ennis 20:00

Led the forwards

Brannstrom 15:41

Zaitsev 27:36
Hainsey 23:22

Led the Defense

Interesting.
The more things change , the more they stay the same.
I don’t think Chlapik had much chance anyway. They probably already decided that and Brannstrom making it.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Just judging by these last few games I would send LBrown and Branstrom back down at some point in Oct. Batherson i think could develop in the NHL (he did really well in the AHL already) so i think he sticks around.

The brannstrom case is interesting cause i think the team would rather send him down but with Wolanin not here it leaves a hole on the offensive side for the defense core. So its a tough decision and might just take it week by week.

Sabourin might stick around as a plug who fills in mins on the bottom 6. Chalpik/Paul could also potentially stick around as roster spot fillers

This team is going to lose a ton of games so it might be beneficial to send these guys down till at least the deadline

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Just judging by these last few games I would send LBrown and Branstrom back down at some point in Oct. Batherson i think could develop in the NHL (he did really well in the AHL already) so i think he sticks around.

The brannstrom case is interesting cause i think the team would rather send him down but with Wolanin not here it leaves a hole on the offensive side for the defense core. So its a tough decision and might just take it week by week.

Sabourin might stick around as a plug who fills in mins on the bottom 6. Chalpik/Paul could also potentially stick around as roster spot fillers

This team is going to lose a ton of games so it might be beneficial to send these guys down till at least the deadline

They'd all be better off going down.. except maybe Sabourin... Who likely isn't going to get better in the AHL.
Batherson would not be hurt by a stint in the AHL either. He has made some plays but he could get faster and hone his skills He'll stay up but I am not convinced its the best thing for him and I fully recognize what he did last year. This team is not going to be highly skilled it will be a lunch pail team that guys like Max McCormick are likely better suited to. Not much off the rush, few plays off the cycle.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Tkachuk overreactions might slow down a little w a 4pts night. Being compared to very bad players last time I read here. He’s still a kid, he might have trouble staying on his skates but doesnt have any staying on them around the net. Kid is a poison.

Always liked Ennis ever since Buffalo, sad the guy got injury problems has some good skills. Anisimov is great so far. I didnt hate Ceci but Zaitsev just looks more fluid to me.

Reactions: DrEasy

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
They'd all be better off going down.. except maybe Sabourin... Who likely isn't going to get better in the AHL.
Batherson would not be hurt by a stint in the AHL either. He has made some plays but he could get faster and hone his skills He'll stay up but I am not convinced its the best thing for him and I fully recognize what he did last year. This team is not going to be highly skilled it will be a lunch pail team that guys like Max McCormick are likely better suited to. Not much off the rush, few plays off the cycle.

I think for Batherson, he doesn't have much to learn in the AHL anymore. He is near the point where he isnt going to progress as much at a lower level. You can keep a player in the AHL for an infinite amount of time but he is still going to need to adjust to the next level. Sometimes the best cure for that transition is just playing the games.

Reactions: Deku

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think that White should have been given an assist on Brown's goal and I am pretty sure he tipped Goloubef's shot on Tkachuk's goal..
Should have been a 3 pt night for him imo.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think for Batherson, he doesn't have much to learn in the AHL anymore. He is near the point where he isnt going to progress as much at a lower level. You can keep a player in the AHL for an infinite amount of time but he is still going to need to adjust to the next level. Sometimes the best cure for that transition is just playing the games.
I don't disagree with that. I think Chabot was there as well when he was down in the A briefly. I am just not positive about it in Batherson's case. It looks like he'll stay up so let's pray you are right. I think he has the potential to be really good. I just don't want the style of play in Ottawa due to lack of skill in the roster to stifle his development

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I didnt hate Ceci but Zaitsev just looks more fluid to me

His skating is so smooth. It allows him to find open passing lanes and ice. I'm not ready to comment on his decision making but he is much better suited as a puck mover than Ceci was. Ceci's problem was that he was clumsy, by the time he was able to turn his body to an open passing lane it was closed off or a player was on top of him.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't disagree with that. I think Chabot was there as well when he was down in the A briefly. I am just not positive about it in Batherson's case. It looks like he'll stay up so let's pray you are right. I think he has the potential to be really good. I just don't want the style of play in Ottawa due to lack of skill in the roster to stifle his development

It's for sure a concern that the lack of talent will be a problem for progression but for me what helps alleviate that concern is the opportunity that's available. You also have to think of other players as well, I dont think you can look at each player individually. You can send Batherson down but how does that impact roles of other players in the AHL. You can leave everyone down there together but what happens the next season when they deserve that shot. You can't have too many inexperienced players come in at once. Right now there are guys on the roster that you use to shelter Batherson. You can give him easier minutes while he adjusts and slowly introduce a less sheltered role if his play allows that. Then next season you introduce a couple of other inexperienced players but now you have Batherson, Balcers and maybe another player who you can lean on a little more and shelter the incoming players.

For that reason I see three of Batherson, Balcers, Chalpik, Brown, Abramov on the opening night roster.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Chlapik was good tonight. He’s a slept on guy right now because we have a glut of ‘could be good’ guys, but he’s aggressive, has a motor, and can score.

I hope he keeps at it like this and has a great start in Belleville.

He ‘could be good’.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad