Post-Game Talk: OTT/VAN ROUND 2.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Logan Brown?

I’ve thought he’s shown the most vision among all forwards... he can move the puck exceptionally

I think Logan Brown suffers from the same optical illusion problem that Spezza did.

Spezza was this tall lanky skater. You compare him to a guy like Marty St Louis (just using him as an example here because he was a small skater) and you think Spezza was a lazy floater because he doesn't look like he's taking as many strides. St Louis LOOKS like he's doing more. But the thing with Spezza, is he was able to cover a far longer distance with each stride, due to his sheer size.

Brown's kind of the same way - you look at him play, and you forget how much bigger he is than the average skater - his stride is FAR more efficient and covers far more ground that a normal skater. He's getting to the same place a guy like Ennis is getting, but taking 3-4 less strides to do so, so it LOOKS slower, but it's not.

Tyler Myers was the same. Chara (in his prime, clearly not anymore) too.

Less foot movement = you think these guys are slacking it at first glance, but forget how much farther each stride is taking the tall guys.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Logan Brown suffers from the same optical illusion problem that Spezza did.

Spezza was this tall lanky skater. You compare him to a guy like Marty St Louis (just using him as an example here because he was a small skater) and you think Spezza was a lazy floater because he doesn't look like he's taking as many strides. St Louis LOOKS like he's doing more. But the thing with Spezza, is he was able to cover a far longer distance with each stride, due to his sheer size.

Brown's kind of the same way - you look at him play, and you forget how much bigger he is than the average skater - his stride is FAR more efficient and covers far more ground that a normal skater. He's getting to the same place a guy like Ennis is getting, but taking 3-4 less strides to do so, so it LOOKS slower, but it's not.

Less foot movement = you think these guys are slacking it at first glance, but forget how much farther each stride is taking the tall guys.
Agree & like Spezza Logan Brown has the vision & hockey IQ to decipher what are his potential passing lanes at high speed. But what I like the most about L. Brown is that he also gets back defensively & has been better coached to play that 200' game that most coaches want today. IMO L. Brown has top line centre written all over him & given the right wingers to play with him could be a very good centre for yrs to come.

Reactions: Brannstorm

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
On this we agree ... that wasn't that hard ... maybe we can agree on something else like chocolate ice cream, I love it but my kid hates it ... I don't get it? :huh:

Mother of god.. not to get too personal but are you sure it's your kid? :sarcasm: Never met a kid that doesn't love chocolate ice cream. Not that it's a bad thing though.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Mother of god.. not to get too personal but are you sure it's your kid? :sarcasm: Never met a kid that doesn't love chocolate ice cream. Not that it's a bad thing though.
I have a nephew who doesn't like candy, good for him, but hard to believe. I wonder if he even bothers to get dressed on Halloween?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Interesting fan reaction to Nick Paul, he’s 24. He is what he is, and fans expect him to suddenly break Through. I doubt there is a player in pro hockey who’s had more chances to impress a new coach then Nick Paul and it never happened.

Interesting because Murray went to bat for him as the cornerstone of the Spezza trade and fans still carry that flame.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Generally I agree with most of this. Puck possession and O-zone time will be much less resulting in fewer goals for and likely more goals against. I doubt that Tkachuk’s willingness to go to the front of the net will be enough to counter the loss of Stone, Duchene, Dzingle.

Hainsey made a horrible cross ice pass that resulted in a goal against. At times he looks effective defensively but at 38 his time is virtually over.

I saw more speed in Boedker’s game so that might be a plus if it continues.

Pageau is not more than a 3rd Line Center now and seems to be regressing. Too small too.

It was a WIN, but not a good one as the same issues are with the team; getting outplayed and out-shot. The team lacks top end talent. The law of averages will not result in competing for a playoff position.

Goaltending will bail us out don’t worry lol.

Reactions: Cosmix

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

I agree in general about taller players but Spezza was a far better and quicker skater than Brown is now. As soon as he got a few strides going he was motoring.

Spezza could gain speed through the neutral zone and and then make plays at top speed. I don't see that in Browns game at all. He is going to be more of a down low player than a dangler IMO.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Interesting fan reaction to Nick Paul, he’s 24. He is what he is, and fans expect him to suddenly break Through. I doubt there is a player in pro hockey who’s had more chances to impress a new coach then Nick Paul and it never happened.

Interesting because Murray went to bat for him as the cornerstone of the Spezza trade and fans still carry that flame.
I always had a soft spot for Paul but yea it looks like this is the end of the rope for him.

Reactions: Cosmix

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Spezza was a franchise level player and was better at all aspects of the game at the same age

Spezza was quicker and more talented which makes a huge difference

I’m not saying brown won’t be a top 6 fwd he just doesn’t remind me of spezza even the skating Is different additionally the league is quicker now. Spezza also used his body more effectively to shield the puck to make plays

Brown will develop parts of his game but spezza types are rare

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Spezza was a franchise level player and was better at all aspects of the game at the same age

Spezza was quicker and more talented which makes a huge difference

I’m not saying brown won’t be a top 6 fwd he just doesn’t remind me of spezza even the skating Is different additionally the league is quicker now. Spezza also used his body more effectively to shield the puck to make plays

Brown will develop parts of his game but spezza types are rare
Yeah ,we have nothing close to a Spezza right now with any of our kids...Brown is a nice prospect ,but you cant develop into a Spezza level player...

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Spezza tended to cheat offensively. Bonk tended to cheat defensively which was just as frustrating at times. Hopefully Logan will fall in between those ends of the spectrum taking the best of each.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad