Confirmed Trade: [OTT/STL] Zach Sanford for Logan Brown and cond. 2022 4th

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Like this for both teams. As others have stated Blues needed the cap with Tank staying. We also get a local kid with motivation looking to prove himself and possibly an extra pick if he doesn't hit the necessary games.

This could work out for either team, or both, or neither. Not a bad gamble...

but I have to say, I hate the "motivation to prove himself" rationale as why he may be better for StL.

He didn't have motivation as a top 15 pick to work hard?
He didn't have motivation as a guy who was getting passed by other prospects and losing his spot on a team that was willing to give him a shot?
He didn't have motivation as a guy coming off his ELC to work his ass off and be the best he can be so he could make more $ on his 2nd contract?

If it took 5 years to get him to motivate himself then I doubt that he's going to find that motivation now.

If he succeeds in StL, and he might, it will be because of better talent around him and a coach who knows how to use his specific talents... not because he's going to try harder.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
General consensus I’ve seen on Twitter from media members ranges from good deal for the Sens to absolute steal.

I think Sanford has a lot more value than Logan Brown

tstracuzza

Jan 18, 2017
General consensus I’ve seen on Twitter from media members ranges from good deal for the Sens to absolute steal.

This. St.Louis fans think they were the winners here? Logan brown is pure trash and made of glass anyways

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
I won't miss Sanford, but he's not as bad as a lot of Blues fans suggest.

He's solid on the PK and he has good offensive skill. He's not rough and tumble, but he doesn't actually shy away from the corners or anything like that. His real issue is that he can't seem to keep things simple. It's not like he's trying to toe-drag everybody, but he often loses valuable time overhandling the puck and isn't hard on pucks when they need to be cleared. Lots of inopportune turnovers because of that.

When he's going full speed, he looks good, but when he has to stop and start, he is slow and lacks balance, so he gets caught standing still or simply falls down. He won't pass up offensive opportunities, though. He's fairly adept at making small plays in traffic, getting open for shots, and getting his shot away quickly. It's just that the whole package isn't there. He doesn't have the strength or balance to be a power forward, he doesn't have the speed or awareness to be a quick-strike forward or a really good forechecker. He's basically a special teams 3rd liner who can play up the lineup in a pinch.

As a Blues fan, I would echo this post. Sanford is a serviceable NHL player, but inconsistent. Not “awful” or “should be out of the league.” If he consistently sustained his “highs,” he would be a more sought after, higher dollar player. But he hasn’t/can’t and is what he is. Serviceable, ok depth; but not a premier player.

Many Blues fans figured he would eventually be the cap causality and here we are. I highly suspect a playoff team looking for NHL depth will make a small deal with Ottawa later in the season for him.

One would think Brown is a project destined for some time in the minors and the Blues sign one if their PTOs in camp.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
if ottawa can teach him consistency and how to avoid 20-30 games of brain dead play, they might have a decent third liner on their hands.
that better be a very talented 3rd line cause Sanford does NOT drive play and is heavily dependent on his linemates

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
As a Blues fan, I would echo this post. Sanford is a serviceable NHL player, but inconsistent. Not “awful” or “should be out of the league.” If he consistently sustained his “highs,” he would be a more sought after, higher dollar player. But he hasn’t/can’t and is what he is. Serviceable, ok depth; but not a premier player.

Many Blues fans figured he would eventually be the cap causality and here we are. I highly suspect a playoff team looking for NHL depth will make a small deal with Ottawa later in the season for him.

One would think Brown is a project destined for some time in the minors and the Blues sign one if their PTOs in camp.
Has to pass through waivers to play in the minors. A team like BUF or ARI will absolutely take him.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
I wouldn't be surprised to see Arizona claim him on waivers if he gets sent down. This could be shades of the Jared McCann trade.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Sanford is a UFA after this season.

He’s helpful, and I guess he could get Ottawa something at the TDL, but if they keep him and he flourishes then they have to resign him.

RckyMtnBlue

Feb 28, 2014
I would have be fine with a 25th rnd pick...anything to get that slug off our team. The fact I don't have to watch sanford fall all over the ice or turn pucks over in our zone just made my day. A fart could make him fall over. With all that said, I will always remember the few things he did to help us win the cup. His goal in game 7 let me rest easy and his through the legs pass to ROR was sick. I do wish him luck but so glad he isn't on our team anymore.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad