Confirmed Trade: [OTT/STL] Zach Sanford for Logan Brown and cond. 2022 4th

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If Brown can ever find NHL pace and intensity, its a win for the Blues. I doubt that ever happens though. Doesn't seem very motivated.

This trade is more about the cap space and the pick from the Blues' POV, at least for right now. The Blues can now actually ice a bench instead of only icing 21 men. If Brown puts his game together, it's basically gravy.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Sens just had a intersquad scrimmage that ended like 30 minds ago, and I watched the whole thing I thought Logan Brown played well, so this comes an an unwelcome surprise. Wonder what happened for this to get done?

I would rather he falter than trade him and a cond 4th for Sanford.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Neither is likely to amount to much. Sanford is one of the worst hockey IQ forwards in the league while I get the feeling Logan Brown will be 30 someday and people will still be talking about his potential upside and showing off years old highlight videos of some pretty passes he made even as he is still not an NHL regular.

Both are also highly likely to get their new fanbases worked up because of how good they can look for a few weeks. We will see quotes about how Brown is looking healthy and motivated or how Sanford just needed the right scenery to blossom after he pots 5 goals the first week of the season. And then…they’ll go back to being who they are.

So…all in all, actually a really fair trade and a shot in the dark to try and make something out of a situation with these two players that was going nowhere fast for both teams.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Meh whatever. I wanted to see Brown in Ottawa's lineup to see what he can do, but if was whining for a trade, then go away.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Brown at least has some upside. Sanford sucks. I don't get this for the Sens.
Came here to post this, but from Ottawas POV maybe they concluded he no longer has that upside

I was kinda hoping for a Juolevi for Logan Brown trade o well, no biggie

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
This is a cap move for the Blues. We needed the extra million+ Sanford makes elsewhere. This way we do not need to trade Tarasenko if we cannot find the right deal. The Blues were plenty deep already, so Sanford might have naturally been a 4th liner depending on how camp shakes out. Brown can compete for a 4th line/press box slot. If he plays well enough to earn it, great. If not, we got the cap space we needed.

I do wish we could have gotten a better player or higher pick coming back for Sanford though. $2M is not overpaid for what Sanford brings, so he is not a cap dump. He should have some value. He is frustratingly inconsistent and bone-headed at times, but he also puts up points overall. I am not a Sanford fan at all, but the Blues might end up missing him if they do end up trading Tarasenk for a LD (like they should). 2 top 9 forwards traded would hurt our forward depth a bit.

Reactions: Blueston

Emerica

May 29, 2010
What’s the problem with Brown

skating? Compete? Lack of opportunity?
General lack of enthusiasm playing hockey, often injured (often being an understatement here) and just not the type of player our coach likes. He wasn't going to get a fair shot this year one way or another. Injuries have stunted his growth but he's been wanting a change of scenery for a while.

Brown at least has some upside. Sanford sucks. I don't get this for the Sens.
Sanford is the type of player our coach has wet dreams about. Brown is his worst nightmare. I don't like this trade but that's the rational.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad