Confirmed Trade: [OTT/STL] Zach Sanford for Logan Brown and cond. 2022 4th

puckerdude10

Feb 22, 2010
Columbia
Like this for both teams. As others have stated Blues needed the cap with Tank staying. We also get a local kid with motivation looking to prove himself and possibly an extra pick if he doesn't hit the necessary games.

Brown can play at home which might increase his comfort level and be insulated on any line he might make. Hopefully he can lean on our vets for experience and a new coach and change of scenery can spark something in him.

I think the same could happen for Sanford in Ottawa. He is a talented big bodied player that tends to make mental mistakes and lose confidence and focus from it. In my opinion he would make a lot of his mistakes trying to make the perfect play in our system and trying to overthink things and make a bad pass or play. A change of scenery and new coach and system combined with extra opportunity could allow him to flourish.

Overall a solid trade. Blues get the higher ceiling but Sens get the higher floor and they could possibly flip Sanford for extra assets at the deadline.

Would like to see the Blues role with the lines below while Sunny is out to start the year, as long as everyone earns their spot and the chemistry is there. Looking to insulate the youngsters and balance the skillsets with speed size and scoring.

Perron - ROR - Kyrou
Kostin - Schenn - Tank
Saad - Thomas - Buch
Barbeshev - Brown - Bozak

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
I knew the Blues would deal Sanford, just had the feeling looking at how many forwards they have, that team didn't have a spot for Sanford

Brown though I'm not sure why they targeted as I don't see where he even plays on a team with

Perron, RoR, Tank (for now), Schenn, Buch, Kyrou, Thomas Saad, + Sundqvist, Barbashev, Bozak (maybe beats him out), Clifford

They have 8 top 6ish capable forwards and 4 bottom 6 guys already

Logan Brown and Kim Kostin should be battling it out for 12th spot with Bozak

Sanford didnt exactly have a lot of value to begin with and everyone knew STL needed to clear a little cap space. So they got a local kid who could probably use a change of scenery. If Brown doesnt produce then oh well they arent out anything

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I'm thinking Kostin will have Blues fans saying "Zach who?" soon enuff

Possibly. I mentioned it opens a window for him on the Blues board. He has to grab it though.

Perron - ROR - Kyrou
Kostin - Schenn - Tank
Saad - Thomas - Buch
Barbeshev - Brown - Bozak

Brown won't play C for us barring injuries. If the scouting reports from Sens fans are accurate (which I don't doubt) then he is bad at D. We'd have Bozak or Barby at C. Then when Sunqvist is back, Brown would be out.

At best he is a stop-gap for Sunny's injuries. We may still sign Neal or Frolik for that stop gap as well, as both are on PTOs and would probably sign sub-$1M. Brown will have to beat out all but one of Kostin, Neal, Frolik, Clifford and MaMac to grab Sunny's injury spot.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Like others have said, he's not a 4th line player. He's a low intensity floater who has high skill and tries risky plays. He's like a much worse 25 year old Jason Spezza. They don't belong on a checking or defensive line or any grind line of any kind. It's a scoring line or in the AHL on a scoring line.
This trade was all about cap space for St. Louis.

Brown likely doesn’t make the Blues roster out of camp and gets placed on waivers to Springfield AHL, if Logan goes unclaimed.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This trade was all about cap space for St. Louis.

Brown likely doesn’t make the Blues roster out of camp and gets placed on waivers to Springfield AHL, if Logan goes unclaimed.

This I agree with.

90% chance he goes down. 10% chance he gets a chance on a scoring line(maybe due to an injury) and clicks with someone and gets a chance to start the year.

He's a good player when you have possession in the offensive zone. He's huge with great vision and reach. Give him the puck and he'll put it on someone's tape in the slot for a scoring chance like a Spezza/Thornton type. But ask him to defend or grind or skate up and down the ice and he's useless.

Reactions: Icelevel

puckerdude10

Feb 22, 2010
Columbia
@Majorityof1

Brown won't play C for us barring injuries. If the scouting reports from Sens fans are accurate (which I don't doubt) then he is bad at D. We'd have Bozak or Barby at C. Then when Sunqvist is back, Brown would be out.

At best he is a stop-gap for Sunny's injuries. We may still sign Neal or Frolik for that stop gap as well, as both are on PTOs and would probably sign sub-$1M. Brown will have to beat out all but one of Kostin, Neal, Frolik, Clifford and MaMac to grab Sunny's injury spot.[/QUOTE]

I should have specified that the fourth line any of them can play center. You can even have them take draws depending on situation since Bozak is a righty and Brown and Barbie are lefties. Lots of options there.

I do agree Brown would only be a stop gap till Sunny is back as long as the rest of the roster remains healthy, which we know won't be the case the entire year.

I would like us to sign one of those guys at least, as long as they prove they can be a solid 13-15 option. Can never have too much depth.

With regard to Macmac and Clifford, I think Brown brings more skill and I trust Bozak and Barbie with the defensive duties on the 4th line so I like bringing something different. I also did not love what I saw out of Clifford towards the end of the year. I do not want him as a regular in the line up. Would rather have MacMac's energy or Brown's skill.

I disagree that Brown needs to beat out Kostin. In my scenario I had him higher up the lineup but even if he is not, I think there is room for both as long as they earn their spots.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I won't miss Sanford, but he's not as bad as a lot of Blues fans suggest.

He's solid on the PK and he has good offensive skill. He's not rough and tumble, but he doesn't actually shy away from the corners or anything like that. His real issue is that he can't seem to keep things simple. It's not like he's trying to toe-drag everybody, but he often loses valuable time overhandling the puck and isn't hard on pucks when they need to be cleared. Lots of inopportune turnovers because of that.

When he's going full speed, he looks good, but when he has to stop and start, he is slow and lacks balance, so he gets caught standing still or simply falls down. He won't pass up offensive opportunities, though. He's fairly adept at making small plays in traffic, getting open for shots, and getting his shot away quickly. It's just that the whole package isn't there. He doesn't have the strength or balance to be a power forward, he doesn't have the speed or awareness to be a quick-strike forward or a really good forechecker. He's basically a special teams 3rd liner who can play up the lineup in a pinch.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Anyone getting worked up about this on the Logan Brown side of the equation, whether Ottawa or St. Louis fans, aren't seeing things straight. He has next to no value, even as a project. He is injury prone and lacks the drive and intensity to make it in the NHL.

The only thing he is good for is leaving you wanting more and building frustration within an organization. Some Ottawa fans thought he never got the chance but they were ignoring the fact that you need to earn your chance, which he never came close to doing. Maybe St Louis' depth creates a better situation for him but I doubt it.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Both were worth a 3rd.

Sanford is a legitimate NHLer, Logan has struggled to get there.Sanford makes more money, but is more proven.

St. Louis hedges their bet with a conditional 4th if Logan can't make it out of camp or gets injured again.

LOL. At least Ottawa got the winger we needed with some size.

This is pretty much my take. Logan needs a change of scenery, but I give him a 10% chance of being an NHL scoring center. The Sens are short on proven NHL players. They have lots of kids, but not a lot of proven guys. Sanford can play NHL level hockey and he can do it on lines 2-4. He is exactly what Ottawa needs up front, so to trade a guy that was falling behind the other young talent for an NHL depth guy with size, I think it makes sense.

Sanford could even be trade deadline material and get back a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Brown was getting beat out by Pinto in Ottawa, simple as that. Brown is a top 6 or bust type player on account of his lack of motor and defensive play. He wasn't getting past Pinto or Norris, now or ever He was destined for waivers. If Sanford has ANY positive impact or fetches an asset at the deadline its a net benefit for the sens, not to mention the cap floor problem being solved.

Reactions: swiftwin

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seems alright for both sides. Blues clear some cap and Sens get closer to the floor while getting a player with some experience.

Never been much of a Logan Brown believer but maybe a fresh start in a stable organization will be good for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Happy that the senators can finally move on from Brown. St Louis gets their cap space and a lottery ticket for a very small chance at a good player.

This trade is a win for both sides in my opinion.

That said - Brown's dad sounds like the interfering type from stuff I've seen on these boards. He also needs to go through waivers, so expect that to be the outcome here barring a miracle. He might get injured in the airport on his way there. Kid has no luck.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I won't miss Sanford, but he's not as bad as a lot of Blues fans suggest.

He's solid on the PK and he has good offensive skill. He's not rough and tumble, but he doesn't actually shy away from the corners or anything like that. His real issue is that he can't seem to keep things simple. It's not like he's trying to toe-drag everybody, but he often loses valuable time overhandling the puck and isn't hard on pucks when they need to be cleared. Lots of inopportune turnovers because of that.

When he's going full speed, he looks good, but when he has to stop and start, he is slow and lacks balance, so he gets caught standing still or simply falls down. He won't pass up offensive opportunities, though. He's fairly adept at making small plays in traffic, getting open for shots, and getting his shot away quickly. It's just that the whole package isn't there. He doesn't have the strength or balance to be a power forward, he doesn't have the speed or awareness to be a quick-strike forward or a really good forechecker. He's basically a special teams 3rd liner who can play up the lineup in a pinch.
This sounds about right. He’s a 26 year old bottom six winger who makes 2m, he may be useful but that doesn’t make him particularly valuable right now. Teams had the whole off-season to pick up forward depth. People need centers, not wingers and his PK numbers are probably a bit uglier because of the Blues PK struggles.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Happy that the senators can finally move on from Brown. St Louis gets their cap space and a lottery ticket for a very small chance at a good player.

This trade is a win for both sides in my opinion.

That said - Brown's dad sounds like the interfering type from stuff I've seen on these boards. He also needs to go through waivers, so expect that to be the outcome here barring a miracle. He might get injured in the airport on his way there. Kid has no luck.

If Jeff Brown tries to interfere with the Blues; Army will either make him a coach and put him in charge of our PP or name him Brett Hull's Assistant as PR schmoozer.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Sure?

If he's good and would help the team, who cares about a 4th though? They'd also be exposing him to waivers by sending him down.
Normally I scoff at the waivers threat for someone like Brown but he is a center and I can’t imagine the Coyotes have anything to lose kicking the tires on him. Who knows what their waiver wire shopping list is though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad