Confirmed Trade: [OTT/PIT] Matt Murray for Jonathan Gruden and 2020 2nd round pick

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ottawa killing this draft
Compared to what exactly? They sold all their best players off for a million draft picks and traded for a goaler who's lost a lot form the past two/three seasons. They were so bad the last couple of years that the only way for these clubs is to go up. That doesn't mean they're going to do anything special though because these players will be the next wave of Karlssons', Duchenes', and Stones' who didn't want to stay there.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
So in your opinion paying a goalie that ends up struggling a lot of money is cool if it’s only three years?

Uh... ok.

And why is Murray taking a short term deal again when he can become a UFA and just walk?

I would rather not overpay anyone for any amount of time. Murray will get a contract agreed upon by both his agent and Dorion.

I personally hope its a three year contract because thats fits the Sens timeline nicely in terms of risk management. If Murray sucks on a three-year contract, its not a huge deal as the Sens will likely suck to some extent too. it'll also allow the Sens to better insulate their super young goaltending core.

If he turns it around then the Sens have steady goaltending for 3 years and they can renew him while he still remains young (if he's interested)

Murray has been bad for a few years as many of you have put it. Maybe Murray's only options are short term deals.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I would rather not overpay anyone for any amount of time. Murray will get a contract agreed upon by both his agent and Dorion.

I personally hope its a three year contract because thats fits the Sens timeline nicely in terms of risk management. If Murray sucks on a three-year contract, its not a huge deal as the Sens will likely suck to some extent too. If he turns it around then the Sens have steady goaltending for 3 years and they can renew him while he still remains young (if he's interested)

Murray has been bad for a few years as many of you have put it. Maybe Murray's only options are short term deals.

I have no clue what Murray and his agent will do.

However, if a trade to Chi fell through because MM deemed 5x5 not enough, but the Sens deal went through, what can we infer from that?

Either Dorion is an idiot who doesn’t do his homework, or MM and his agent were agreeable to ballpark figures Dorion threw out.

I would imagine those numbers are better than what Chi offered if Dorion is in fact not a mental midget.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Both Chicago and I think I read some other team backed out of any potential dealings with Murray due to his contract demands. If those reports were accurate, it could just as easily be a sign to Murray's side that he simply won't get that much.

You take out Chicago, and whoever that other team(I forget) was out of the mix for Murray, how many teams could realistically even be on Murray at that point given the goaltending status of the majority of teams plus the new world of Pandemics and flat caps. Unfortunately for Murray, taking all of that into account plus his struggles may lead him to getting a less than desirable contract (A 3 year contract for 6M per year is still a pretty penny mind you and that is something I'd be hoping for)

But who knows, maybe he'll still get that longer term contract he desires. You never know.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Those same numbers were also offered by Pittsburgh and he said no.

IMO, Murray isn’t going to except a contract less then 6 mil AAV for 5-7 years.

Otherwise he will just take the Sens to arbitration where he will get 5-6 mil from the ruling on a one year deal and then be a UFA next year. When there won’t be a 1000 goalies on the market and Seattle will be sitting there.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Murray, traded last year, nets a first. Murray had a rough year this year then lost his job. Part of the reason he was traded is that Jarry can stop pucks almost as good as him (way better glove) but Jarry can play the puck 1000 times better. People forget before Murray I remember people talking about Jarry being the next pens starter down the road.

Anyway, I wish Murray luck but I just can't shake the patrick lalime vibe I'm getting from this...

Deja vu

Reactions: domaug

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
Penguins fans tearing down villages trying to make sense of this trade
Or maybe we've watched him play the past 2 seasons and know that Jarry is better than him and only has a 3.5 mil salary and Murray wants 6 to 7 mil? So it makes sense for the Pens to take the best offer for him.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Or maybe we've watched him play the past 2 seasons and know that Jarry is better than him and only has a 3.5 mil salary and Murray wants 6 to 7 mil? So it makes sense for the Pens to take the best offer for him.

It does make sense for the Pens to take the best offer for him. Unfortunately, that offer was quite a low one, which has been par for the course for PIT this offseason.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
It does make sense for the Pens to take the best offer for him. Unfortunately that offer was quite a low one
A 2nd and a decent, if unspectacular, prospect isn't that low considering the cap, the amount of available goalies and his status as an RFA. They got what he was worth

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
A 2nd and a decent, if unspectacular, prospect isn't that low considering the cap, the amount of available goalies and his status as an RFA. They got what he was worth

Given the Penguins non-existant prospect capital, a late 2nd and a low-end prospect does wonders for them. I can completely understand the deal for them.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

Given the Penguins non-existant prospect capital, a late 2nd and a low-end prospect does wonders for them. I can completely understand the deal for them.

Plus the fact there is an expansion draft next season.

Reactions: domaug

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I qas never sold on Murray. Worried that he lost his mojo, or that his success was the result of a championship team in front of him.

Its a gamble by the senators for sure, but one they can afford to take given the insane depth of their farm and the plethora of picks in the draft.

If he finds his game again, the senators might have found their goalie for the next 5 to 10 years.

If not, they have an experienced starter for the next couple seasons while some of their prospects develop their game, and it didn't cost them anything they couldn't afford to lose.

I guess we will see what happens

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Both Chicago and I think I read some other team backed out of any potential dealings with Murray due to his contract demands. If those reports were accurate, it could just as easily be a sign to Murray's side that he simply won't get that much.

You take out Chicago, and whoever that other team(I forget) was out of the mix for Murray, how many teams could realistically even be on Murray at that point given the goaltending status of the majority of teams plus the new world of Pandemics and flat caps. Unfortunately for Murray, taking all of that into account plus his struggles may lead him to getting a less than desirable contract (A 3 year contract for 6M per year is still a pretty penny mind you and that is something I'd be hoping for)

But who knows, maybe he'll still get that longer term contract he desires. You never know.

Chi backed out when MM said no to 5x5.

18m is still less than the 25m Chi offered him.

Maybe Dorion is a dark wizard that made MM and his agent believe 18 is greater than 25...

I guess anything is possible, but I’m pretty sure Dorion and MM agent threw out numbers higher than 5x5 if the deal went through.

If MM doesn’t get what he is agreeable to, he simply signs a one year deal and walks into FA where some team will give him a dumb deal.

I just don’t see any kind of scenario where he would be like “ya, less money seems better now that I really think about it!”

Last edited:

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Compared to what exactly? They sold all their best players off for a million draft picks and traded for a goaler who's lost a lot form the past two/three seasons. They were so bad the last couple of years that the only way for these clubs is to go up. That doesn't mean they're going to do anything special though because these players will be the next wave of Karlssons', Duchenes', and Stones' who didn't want to stay there.
Damn, you're right.

Now I feel bad about our draft.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He just turned down 5x5 from Chicago.

Why would he turn around and accept a smaller deal from Ott?

Makes no sense.

He can just become a UFA if he doesn’t get a deal he likes.

He and his agent would have to be pretty high to take a short term deal at his age.

Because while he's already earned a lot of money he could earn enough on a short term deal (3 years) to really set himself up for life. If he takes the 1 year deal and has a crap season then he's going to be in a tough spot. He could decide to back himself and take the 1 year, it is a gamble though.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Chi backed out when MM said no to 5x5.

18m is still less than the 25m Chi offered him.

Maybe Dorion is a dark wizard that made MM and his agent believe 18 is greater than 25...

I guess anything is possible, but I’m pretty sure Dorion and MM agent threw out numbers higher than 5x5 if the deal went through.

If MM doesn’t get what he is agreeable to, he simply signs a one year deal and walks into FA where some team will give him a dumb deal.

I just don’t see any kind of scenario where he would be like “ya, less money seems better now that I really think about it!”

If Murray can perform at a capable level at the cost of 18M over 3 years he'll earn that additional 7M and then some.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I can’t believe John Gruden was traded!!

Who’s gonna coach the Raiders in Vegas now?!?!

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
For a 2nd rounder and a Who?.

Who would've thought in 2017...

Also, why did I hold on to Hogberg on my keeper team for the whole past season? :rolleyes:

Jun 15, 2007
You can't assume Holtby would have been willing to go to Ottawa. He's going to a playoff team.

Khudobin, Talbot, doesn't matter. Goalies are not getting paid this year. To pay assets and then overypay Murray is just dumb when there are decent goalies available for free.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Khudobin, Talbot, doesn't matter. Goalies are not getting paid this year. To pay assets and then overypay Murray is just dumb when there are decent goalies available for free.

I'd rather take a chance on Murray than Talbot, Talbot is 33 and locked up until 36 at 3.3M. I don't consider that to be a good deal personally, it's a fair deal. Khudobin.. I mean the guy would never come to Ottawa if we're being honest and same could be said for guys like Holtby, Markstrom etc.

Reactions: topshelf15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad