Confirmed Trade: [OTT/PIT] Matt Murray for Jonathan Gruden and 2020 2nd round pick

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ottawa could've had Holtby for 2x4.3m for free instead of paying a second, prospect and then overpaying Murray. Ottawa gave up too much.

Yes, I would have preferred this option.

But the upside of Murray is that he might still be relatively young and more easily available if/when the team does become competitive.

Desert Penguin said:
You can't assume Holtby would have been willing to go to Ottawa. He's going to a playoff team.

And there's this.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
This is so weird how Murray took Fleury's job and won two cups, he was the next one for the Pens. Then suddenly he becomes dispensable and is traded for nothing.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
This is so weird how Murray took Fleury's job and won two cups, he was the next one for the Pens. Then suddenly he becomes dispensable and is traded for nothing.

Very perplexing if you have not been paying attention to the Penguins for the last 3 years.

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa
That's definitely a fair point. I doubt Ottawa was going to be top destination for some of the other names mentioned.
Ottawa is a tough sell even when things are going well. As a Sens fan, I'm fine with this deal. It's not going to have an adverse effect on the team's ability to re-sign their young guys over the next couple seasons and worst case scenario, Ottawa continues to be a dumpster fire and we continue to stockpile high end prospects.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Still it degenerated fast. And you lose a once great asset for nothing. Is he finished?

Nail Yakupov used to be a great asset. Things change.

The goalie market was/is saturated, MM tanked his value by having high contract demands (as seen here today), he's strung together some mediocre seasons, and the Penguins have a cheaper and adequate replacement in Jarry. Pens did well to get a 2nd all things considered.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

The goalie market was/is saturated, MM tanked his value by having high contract demands (as seen here today), he's strung together some mediocre seasons, and the Penguins have a cheaper and adequate replacement in Jarry. Pens did well to get a 2nd all things considered.
Yep those arb rights and his ask did exactly this...Hopefully he can refind his game or we just paid alot of money to a backup lol

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Thats just it. There are so many goalies out there right now. Had Murray been one of the few he probably would have fetched more.

His recent struggles aside, he isn't far removed from winning 2 cups and is still quite young, he's a risk but I doubt ottawa was the only team interested.

I guess we will see what he does going forward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad