Confirmed Trade: [OTT/PIT] Matt Murray for Jonathan Gruden and 2020 2nd round pick

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
The blackhawks had a deal in place for Murray and rumor was his asking price was 7x7 and that's why the Hawks bailed.

I'll be interested to see what he signs for with the Sens. Just to see how true (or close to it) the rumor was.

If it was true that asking price probably nuked alot of potential deals before this one was finalized.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I don't think that's the reply you wanted there lol
What do you mean? If I dig up articles that showed he was wrong, I have no idea if he will be mad about losing face on a stupid internet pissing contest or maybe it will give him peace of mind knowing that he simply made a mistake.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
That's so cheap for a guy who's won multiple cups as a starter, and he's still young. I wonder how we'll look back on this in a few years. Maybe the Pens are selling "high", but I'm not so sure.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The blackhawks had a deal in place for Murray and rumor was his asking price was 7x7 and that's why the Hawks bailed.

I'll be interested to see what he signs for with the Sens. Just to see how true (or close to it) the rumor was.

If it was true that asking price probably nuked alot of potential deals before this one was finalized.
I can guarantee one thing - our cheap owner won't be paying that and the Sens knew it, so I'd guess short term at 4 ish a year. 12 million is my guess.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
What do you mean? If I dig up articles that showed he was wrong, I have no idea if he will be mad about losing face on a stupid internet pissing contest or maybe it will give him peace of mind knowing that he simply made a mistake.
Digging up articles will only prove extreme pettiness and childish pride (rather than the pettiness it is atm)especially considering his response to the original post that you cherry picked was 100% on point.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Damn. Pitt, that's how you treat former heros?

Ottawa. I'd retire first. Banished to that organization?

Awful.

Reactions: Defect

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007

You can't give him more than 3 years imo. He won't sign for that. This is headed for a one year deal with whatever he gets from arbitration which both sides will probably be ok with ultimately.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Murray was and still is a good goalie with a great resume. Still many questions out there as far as contract situation etc.

A young team on the up will really benefit from his experience. Hes still only 26 years old. His glove hand scares me a bit but when he is on he is on.

Kid definitly deserves the money and term he just wasnt going to get it in Pittsburgh with the way the organizaition is structured. Just the same same way MAF was let go. A cheaper solid option is available.

All things considered with the market, supposed contract demands, flat cap the Pens were lucky to get what they did. In another season things would most likely be much different. I mean look at all the players not recieving QO's. The market is pretty crazy right now.

Reactions: domaug

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Seems like a low return for Murray... I believe the Oilers were in on Murray until the ask was their 14th overall pick and a good prospect. Pretty sure they would have beaten the Sens offer.

Last year I'd completely agree it would be highway robbery. This year flat cap that is hindering most teams. Not to mention there are at least a few UFA goalies right now arguably better than Murray. Allegedly asking alot of money in tighter cap era which doesn't help. I was a bit disappointed was hoping only the deal was mid-late 2nd tops.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Damn. Pitt, that's how you treat former heros?

Ottawa. I'd retire first. Banished to that organization?

Awful.

Murray I suspect wanted out of Pgh, so even Ott to him is better than being around the ingrates he has to deal with in Pgh.

A large segment of fans railed on him because he wasn’t the happy go lucky flake MAF.

He never got the appreciation he deserved and instead was accused of stealing the Flake’s cup rings.

He probably was counting the seconds to get out of Pgh.

I just wish he went to a better franchise that’s ready to compete now like Col.

Not sure if he is going to be the savior in net the fans think in Ott. I suspect he will continue his struggles there, unfortunately.

He’s the goalie that helps put you over the top when you have an already great team around him, but he’s not going to be a stand on your head guy that helps lift a bad team into playoff contention.

Not so much the glove ,but the area just above it.

That was more of an inside, but lame joke about his glove that has persisted among Pens fans who hate him.

But ya, since his father died he hasn’t been the same, so it’s all mental IMHO.

Last edited:

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
I don’t know how anyone could say that this is anything but a win for both sides. As a Pens fan, my prospective is that Jarry outplayed Murray and won the job (Murray with a .899 sv%). He was resigned at a reasonable 3.5 for the next 3 years to be the starter. Murray will likely command north of 6 mil and the Pens couldn’t afford that. Murray could have maybe saved his job when this season resumed but he was terrible the whole training camp 2.0 and looked not very engaged in the Canadiens series. The pens needed to move him without taking on any salary because they are up against the cap. I’m sure GMJR wanted a 1st rounder but it didn’t happen. He took the best offer and considering they couldn’t keep Murray and the saturated goalie market the return was fair. Jarry and DeSmith for 5 mil combined vs Jarry and Murray for 10 mil combined is what’s best for Pens. From Sens side, probably a worthy gamble hoping that MM can rebound. They didn’t give up much to get him. But if he ends up more like the guy we’ve seen the last two years and they commit long term to him at 6 or 7 mil then it could become a problem.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Murray I suspect wanted out of Pgh, so even Ott to him is better than being around the ingrates he has to deal with in Pgh.

A large segment of fans railed on him because he wasn’t the happy go lucky flake MAF.

He never got the appreciation he deserved and instead was accused of stealing the Flake’s cup rings.

He probably was counting the seconds to get out of Pgh.

I just wish he went to a better franchise that’s ready to compete now like Col.

Not sure if he is going to be the savior in net the fans think in Ott. I suspect he will continue his struggles there, unfortunately.

He’s the goalie that helps put you over the top when you have an already great team around him, but he’s not going to be a stand on your head guy that helps lift a bad team into playoff contention.

That was more of an inside, but lame joke about his glove that has persisted among Pens fans who hate him.

But ya, since his father died he hasn’t been the same, so it’s all mental IMHO.

The last part is a tragedy, hope he gets past it and and finds his mojo.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The last part is a tragedy, hope he gets past it and and finds his mojo.

As someone who lost his mom way too early, I can say the heartbreak never goes away... and it’s been eight years for me... which is over twice as long since Murray lost his dad.

So I doubt he’s even anywhere close to being healed from his father’s death.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Hang tough brother.

Appreciate that, but I wasn’t trying to make it about me.

I was just trying to make the point that a few years after losing his father is just a drop in the bucket.

I 100% guarantee it’s still raw for him and I doubt he heals from this until years down the line.

There is no doubt in my mind his father’s death started his downward spiral, sadly.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Murray has been terrible since his cups and had the worst glove hand I have ever seen.
He plays too deep in the net which is a much bigger problem that his glove.

He won 2 cups with the same glove, but the last 3 years he's afraid to challenge shooters for some reason. It's like he has absolutely no trust in his defense to take away the pass. Almost like it's a personal grudge at this point...

And I don't blame him personally because there have been some horrendous D in front of him, but he's not going to win hockey games or the lockerroom with that kind of attitude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad