Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Mark Stone signs 1 year contract (1yr $7.35M)

Oct 18, 2011
Karlsson, Duchene, and Stone all UFA at the same time without a 2019 1st rounder and without the finances to sign them all. I can’t think of a GM that had a tougher year than what Dorion is about to have. Reminds me Buffalo with Drury, Briere, and Vanek.
He needs to trade all of them

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm no Sens fan, but I feel bad for the fans. The prospect pool isn't terrible and you never know when someone will become the next Barzal, who not even the most ardent Islanders fan expected to do as well as he did.

Ottawa should trade everyone now, accept that they may be gifting 1st overall and the embarassment that involves, but understand that they will get good assets back for their 3 UFA's and the second round pick will essentially become a late first.

The owner's got to go, but the fans can't really control that unless they don't show. At all. And it's really tough for hockey fans to just not show up. Ever.

As much as I don't wish them success, I also don't wish this on them. Fans are fans and while they may our 'enemies' because of the team they cheer for, they'd be our 'friends' if they happened to cheer for ours.

So good luck...I hope you can return to mediocrity at best and always being behind the Leafs in the near future.

Well they shouldnt be trading 25/26 year old stars if you are rebuilding or not. Thats the issue I have, sure rebuild if you dont/cant pay Kalrsson but you keep the elite players that have 6 + good years left.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Meh, I don’t actually mind our prospect pool.

It’s one reasonable aspect of the team.
Its really not as good as most sens fans seem to think. There are no blue chippers on d, no natural elite talent in the entire pool if you count Chabot as graduated. The worst part is management is likely to rush most of the players too. Cant trust them with anything.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Nylander and Marner smiling and loving life with this contact. Anyone thinking home town discount is in the cards better think twice playing for Babcock. All three leaf players will not soon forget the reduction in on ice minutes to reduce point totals. Never watched anything more blatantly obvious.

Derekhanna89

Jul 1, 2018
Nylander and Marner smiling and loving life with this contact. Anyone thinking home town discount is in the cards better think twice playing for Babcock. All three leaf players will not soon forget the reduction in on ice minutes to reduce point totals. Never watched anything more blatantly obvious.
Just because you wish for it, doesnt mean it will happen. Let's ignore that dubas already knows he will sign all 3 and be fine.

But sure...most obvious thing, apparently.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
William Karlsson just signed a one year, 5.25 million deal with Vegas.

And Karlsson is much better than Stone. That's how you do it.

Well done Vegas.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Sens fans, remind me why everyone is trying to jump ship? wtf is going on?

Management. The Sens are exchanging hockey assets for cash. The players see this being repeated over the last few years and see the writing on the wall. If you want to win, get out of town. However, if your career is in the make or break phase, this is a great landing spot as you will get good ice time and have a chance to show yourself.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Management. The Sens are exchanging hockey assets for cash. The players see this being repeated over the last few years and see the writing on the wall. If you want to win, get out of town. However, if your career is in the make or break phase, this is a great landing spot as you will get good ice time and have a chance to show yourself.

Last couple years? You can go back to when Spezza left, hell even Alfie. Those teams were fairly good but both knew they would never take the next step because of Melnyk.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Do people not know the salary cap generally rises by year? Even if he weren’t easily a top line winger, $7mil isn’t horrible for a top 6 forward, particularly for one year

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Pretty close to guarantees he'll be in a different uniform by the start of 2019-20. Man has Ottawa ever had problems retaining their drafted talent through the years. Wonder why that could be and what the common denominator is :sarcasm:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Well done Vegas.
I'm sure if he had more than 1 season with more than 25 points he would have gotten more money, and I'm sure if he has a repeat of last season he will be signing an 8x8 deal next summer.

Nice context.

Reactions: derriko

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
So how do Canes make a Stone trade happen?

Faulk, 2 seconds next year, Fleury, Saarela, Foegele, Bean, any pick after the seconds of course. Other Charlotte prospects. Put something together. We know he’s not coming back to Sens next year anyway.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Well done Vegas.

No, not even last year when Karlsson suddenly tripled his career high. Still though, this contract is not going to do anything but pile on the huge troubles the Sens are already facing for next year.

Reactions: derriko

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
And 3 seasons above 60 pts. - I would be happy to pay less for a winger like just above 6.25 mil and maybe 3-4 years contact length. But I felt Mark Stone got the market value here + so he should be happy with this contract, but the contract length is only 1 year which surprise me even though Ottawa rumor to be rebuilding and looking for other options with Erik Karlsson as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad