Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] F Shane Pinto re-signs with the Senators (1 year, $775k)

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Feels like he really gambled and lost here. That shenanigans cost him some money for sure.

Though making it a 1-year deal, it probably puts him in a similar position as he'd have been anyway...just kicked a year down the road, a year older but without a year of extra track record to lean on in negotiations. And probably a quarter of a million bucks or more of salary poorer than if he'd been able to do the deal for this year. Plus obviously deferring the entire salary to next year, and not being able to get into earning a bigger paycheque a year earlier...which is big, with the time value of money. Think of all the wagers he could've made to grow that money in the meantime. Lost opportunities i guess.
He won't be a 10. 6 ? Whatever number anymore and should be able to get a better contract if he plays well this year

So It's not too bad for him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The one thing they’ve talked about, is bringing in professionals. Guys who come to work everyday, play their 200’ game and just play solid hockey, while giving some secondary scoring and killing penalties.. Experienced veterans who aren’t looking for all the accolades. Not the CG, Kubalik and Tarasenko types. They’d be a better team right now, if they did what Detroit did with Maatta, Copp and Compher types. Guys who just play a professional game every night, who don’t make many mistakes.

I agree with that. It’s still what they should do. Detroit is now set for when all their draft picks are ready. They’ll slide right in with no pressure like the Ottawa kids had to play with. Are still playing with.

The problem is, Ottawa isn’t a premier team UFAs sign with. So they’ll have to get those types through trades. So who do they trade to bring in those types of players? Is it Pinto? Chychrun? Maybe it is. They can also grab some extra prospects and picks making those types of moves. I don’t know exactly who those players would be, but they’re out there. Boone Jenner would be a perfect one to target. Branden Tanev from Seattle would be that type of player, who wouldn’t cost a ton. Brandon Saad is another one. They’re out there.

They bring in 3-4 of those type of players, watch how the team takes off. Even if it means Chychrun, Pinto and Greig are gone. They have a core of very skilled, high-end players. Surround them with those no nonsense professionals.

That is the type of player the Sens need but I don't think you have to be a marquee destination to sign those guys in UFA. Like Copp and Compher went to Detroit because Detroit threw money at them. They're not value contracts. If Ottawa offers as much they can bring in guys like that. But since we're in a hurry to find them and you'd be lucky to get two strong forwards in one year's free agency, maybe you make a trade as well. I just wouldn't move Pinto because he's a good checking forward in his own right and those are the attributes you need to build up in addition to veteran presence.

From teams I follow closely, Brandon Tanev might be a good low cost trade offer, though his wheels aren't elite anymore. His brother Chris, now, that would be a huge add for Ottawa in free agency. Yanni Gourde from Seattle would be another great add, but more expensive. I'd be curious if Seattle wants Chychrun - they have Dunn and Evans coming up on the left side so I have my doubts there. From Columbus I don't know if Jenner or Danforth (the other strong veteran checking forward) are available, Columbus has the same blue collar shortage Ottawa has. But you make an offer (I assume they're only interested in picks).

Reactions: Petes2424

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
WORST GAMBLER EVER.

Before he was suspended. Does anyone remember what Pinto’s reported ask and/or Ottawa’s reported offer was? Wasn’t there a huge contract holdout situation and negotiation that went sour?

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
WORST GAMBLER EVER.

Before he was suspended. Does anyone remember what Pinto’s reported ask and/or Ottawa’s reported offer was? Wasn’t there a huge contract holdout situation and negotiation that went sour?
Not sure where you read that - all signs were pointing to him signing a 2x$2.2M before the season, but then the NHL notified Ottawa of the gambling investigation and told them to stop talking contract until the investigation was over.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
WORST GAMBLER EVER.

All I know is that I sniped him in Eastside Hockey Manager with a $3m RFA offer sheet, in a universe where he is an ethical zenith.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Not sure where you read that - all signs were pointing to him signing a 2x$2.2M before the season, but then the NHL notified Ottawa of the gambling investigation and told them to stop talking contract until the investigation was over.

Pretty sure I had read negotiations were stalled at one point. Did they eventually land on 2x2.2?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I'm not sure how this contract benefits the Sens. They finally get leverage and force him to take a league minimum contract but it's only 1 year?

At least go 2 years. You're going to have the same stalemate this summer. It's not likely the Sens make the playoffs either. Maybe the Senators are betting on him having a horrible season after missing half the season and he'll re-sign for cheap next year - but at this point Pinto playing this season is more important to Pinto than the Senators. This off-season he'll be arbitration eligible too so you can no longer force him to sign a cheap contract if he has a decent season.

Looks like the Senators wasted their leverage unnecessarily here.

It is funny though that he signed for under his qualifying offer when all is said and done. :laugh:

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I'm not sure how this contract benefits the Sens. They finally get leverage and force him to take a league minimum contract but it's only 1 year?

At least go 2 years. You're going to have the same stalemate this summer. It's not likely the Sens make the playoffs either. Maybe the Senators are betting on him having a horrible season after missing half the season and he'll re-sign for cheap next year - but at this point Pinto playing this season is more important to Pinto than the Senators. This off-season he'll be arbitration eligible too so you can no longer force him to sign a cheap contract if he has a decent season.

Looks like the Senators wasted their leverage unnecessarily here.

It is funny though that he signed for under his qualifying offer when all is said and done. :laugh:

Sens are right at the cap. This gives Ottawa a lot more flexibility with what they can do with their roster this season and they have contracts coming off the books in the offseason (or at the deadline).

This essentially allows Ottawa to ice a full roster until the deadline, at that point they likely move Tarasenko.

For the contract I think 2 years would be a bad move. This means Pinto gets another full year of (likely) higher production before he re-ups. A 1 year deal means he gets 40 games before his next deal. For the Sens it's a lot easier to negotiate when you look at last year and then a short sample size of 40 games this year. If he does well then the Sens can turn around and say you played well but it was only 40 games. If he doesn't play well then they can lock him up cheaper. If he goes to arb it's the same logic, 40 games of good play doesn't get you a lot of money.

It was a no brainer IMO. Only other deal that could've made sense would've been a 5-7 year deal but that would've pressed the Sens to trade a valuable player before tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure there's a deal on the table for the offseason already.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Sens are right at the cap. This gives Ottawa a lot more flexibility with what they can do with their roster this season and they have contracts coming off the books in the offseason (or at the deadline).

This essentially allows Ottawa to ice a full roster until the deadline, at that point they likely move Tarasenko.

For the contract I think 2 years would be a bad move. This means Pinto gets another full year of (likely) higher production before he re-ups. A 1 year deal means he gets 40 games before his next deal. For the Sens it's a lot easier to negotiate when you look at last year and then a short sample size of 40 games this year. If he does well then the Sens can turn around and say you played well but it was only 40 games. If he doesn't play well then they can lock him up cheaper. If he goes to arb it's the same logic, 40 games of good play doesn't get you a lot of money.

It was a no brainer IMO. Only other deal that could've made sense would've been a 5-7 year deal but that would've pressed the Sens to trade a valuable player before tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure there's a deal on the table for the offseason already.

I'd be surprised if he's signing for cheap if he has a bad year. Even if that's true - you can't get cheaper than league minimum. The Senators could have said league minimum for 2 years or you can stay at home. What recourse does Pinto have?

He literally held out for more money this year and ended up getting the least amount of money possible, which is less money than he would have got by just signing his mandatory minimum qualifying offer. Pinto definitely got screwed any way you slice it. This was the year the Senators have leverage, next year they do not. I don't think Pinto is going to sign long-term after this year unless the Senators throw money at him.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'd be surprised if he's signing for cheap if he has a bad year. Even if that's true - you can't get cheaper than league minimum. The Senators could have said league minimum for 2 years or you can stay at home. What recourse does Pinto have?

He literally held out for more money this year and ended up getting the least amount of money possible, which is less money than he would have got by just signing his mandatory minimum qualifying offer. Pinto definitely got screwed any way you slice it. This was the year the Senators have leverage, next year they do not. I don't think Pinto is going to sign long-term after this year unless the Senators throw money at him.

There's also the chance that over-squeezing a player causes resentment. Giving a player a fair contract for this season to get him some games and then starting over in the summer is a fair move for both sides.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
There's also the chance that over-squeezing a player causes resentment. Giving a player a fair contract for this season to get him some games and then starting over in the summer is a fair move for both sides.

League minimum is a fair contract? They squeezed him as much as they legally could. They wouldn't even offer him his qualifying offer when they had over a million in cap space.

I think if you're going to squeeze him for league minimum at least get more than half a season. If the plan was to soften him for his next contract give him the million you got in cap space. I'm sure there's resentment there for being offered less than he was initially offered in his qualifying offer and paying him the least possible amount you could. I don't think Pinto walks out of this happy he got league minimum when his qualifying offer was 100K more. The Senators had the cap space and still wouldn't give him any more than league minimum! I'm sure there's resentment there already.

That said, Pinto for 41 games doesn't really benefit the Senators. So if you're squeezing, at least do it in a way that benefits the team. Does Pinto look at the Senators giving him the worst possible contract as a kind gesture? I'd be surprised if he did.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Pinto would not have signed league minimum for 2 years. There's no reason for him to do that. He's not a bad hockey player, he just got caught in this scandal. Otherwise the Sens want him in the lineup and more than that, they need him.

He held up for more money this year but we have no clue what kind of contract the team was offering in the first place. He got screwed that's very true but that situation also kind of came out of left field. I don't blame him for negotiating and holding his ground, many players do.

Sens will have to throw money at him for sure. Again, he's a good player. Even if he signs a 2 year deal, the Sens lose leverage at that point and also Pinto likely signs for more in a year and a half vs half a year.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
League minimum is a fair contract? They squeezed him as much as they legally could. They wouldn't even offer him his qualifying offer when they had over a million in cap space.

I think if you're going to squeeze him for league minimum at least get more than half a season. If the plan was to soften him for his next contract give him the million you got in cap space. I'm sure there's resentment there for being offered less than he was initially offered in his qualifying offer and paying him the least possible amount you could. I don't think Pinto walks out of this happy he got league minimum when his qualifying offer was 100K more. The Senators had the cap space and still wouldn't give him any more than league minimum! I'm sure there's resentment there already.

That said, Pinto for 41 games doesn't really benefit the Senators. So if you're squeezing, at least do it in a way that benefits the team. Does Pinto look at the Senators giving him the worst possible contract as a kind gesture? I'd be surprised if he did.

Worst possible contract is trying to force him to sign at two years for that amount.

Getting him on the ice asap, instead of drawing this out any longer with the suspension and fallout is the best thing for both sides. It's a lost year for both player and team, so get on the ice and focus on getting back into game shape over the last 40 games. Start fresh in the summer. That benefits both sides by putting this behind them and getting a player ready to go 100% in the fall.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Looking at the Sens composition though, it seems they really need a big middle six hard minutes center, the guy to take the hard matchups. They're getting smoked at 5v5 defense, worst goals against rate in the NHL.

Pinto is a guy they need to mend the relationship with. A trade of a one-way forward would make more sense.
There is no relationship to mend with Pinto, on either side, both are thrilled he’s back tomorrow.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
WORST GAMBLER EVER.

No there wasn’t, Pinto side was at about 2 million, they were close on a deal before the news broke to the team, and Gary told them to stop negotiating late August.
Only holdup was Sens cap room.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I don't think Pinto is going to sign long-term after this year unless the Senators throw money at him.
Why not, the way Pinto has been talking, sounds like he will, he’s over the moon with excitement.
Thanks the team for supporting him, and taking the hits, when the news broke, and covering up, before the news broke, when the team knew and media didn’t.

It’s nothing close to what you’re saying.
It was predicted all along it would be close to league minimum, when he signed.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Explain?, no idea what you mean.
775 is a steal for a legit third line c with top 6 upside. After this year he will get a huge raise. It sucks to waste a year of Pinto at such a low cap hit and what could be one of Giroux’s last good years

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
NHL: Suspend Pinto for gambling!

Also

NHL: Welcome betting ads all over our arenas!

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Do the Senators look at Pinto being suspended for half a year as a beneficial situation? I'd be surprised if they did.

That said, this new management clearly values him highly as they're talking long term contract now, so...if Ottawa fans aren't worried, why are you?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Why not, the way Pinto has been talking, sounds like he will, he’s over the moon with excitement.
Thanks the team for supporting him, and taking the hits, when the news broke, and covering up, before the news broke, when the team knew and media didn’t.

It’s nothing close to what you’re saying.
It was predicted all along it would be close to league minimum, when he signed.

Oh right - so you’re telling me he held out because he thought his qualifying offer was too high?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad